Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

FAREWELL JACK GRIMES

jayceebee31

3 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Why?

You said   "If his skill level was higher, if he didn't butcher every second kick or get pushed off contests so easily at senior level then he would have hit this number a long time ago. 

He is dam lucky he got 98"

He didn't butcher every second kick and  didn't get pushed off contests so easily. He was not lucky to get 98 games, he earned them.

His development was probably smashed by our putrid club.

He was captain of Vic Metro and was then crucified by being appointed Co Captain of an AFL rabble, when too young for the role. That would have affected his game.

I don't recall seeing him shirk contests,  he was hard at the ball.

He would make a clanger or two, but we have current players doing that as well. Ask Picket Fence.

He has earned games on his form this year, but a clear policy of giving games to lesser performed younger players, who may have long term potential, has cost him games he has earned the right to play.

He was in our best players for many of the  98 games he played.

He is no champion, but lets not rewrite history, he is no dud either.

To my mind he has been treated shabbily by the club and if I was him I would leave at the end of the season. 

• Like 20

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

You said   "If his skill level was higher, if he didn't butcher every second kick or get pushed off contests so easily at senior level then he would have hit this number a long time ago. 

He is dam lucky he got 98"

He didn't butcher every second kick and  didn't get pushed off contests so easily. He was not lucky to get 98 games, he earned them.

His development was probably smashed by our putrid club.

He was captain of Vic Metro and was then crucified by being appointed Co Captain of an AFL rabble, when too young for the role. That would have affected his game.

I don't recall seeing him shirk contests,  he was hard at the ball.

He would make a clanger or two, but we have current players doing that as well. Ask Picket Fence.

He has earned games on his form this year, but a clear policy of giving games to lesser performed younger players, who may have long term potential, has cost him games he has earned the right to play.

He was in our best players for many of the  98 games he played.

He is no champion, but lets not rewrite history, he is no dud either.

To my mind he has been treated shabbily by the club and if I was him I would leave at the end of the season. 

He gave his all. No issue there

But he was always a good ordinary footballer when compared to others. If you disagree no probs, but that's how i have always seen Grimes career. 

7 hours ago, nrc73 said:

Yes a good game against Adelaide, but was lucky to stay in the team for much the rest of the year. Clearly Wagner & co are much better options.

There would be 1 very good reason to play Grimes before the end of the year - to bolster his tradeability at year's end.

Have defiantly been impressed with Wagner this year, but clearly Grimes is a better option this week!

On my off the cuff account, we have had a pretty charmed year injury wise this year.  All teams need depth and if we could retain Grimes on a modest contract, could he be worth retaining on that basis?  Granted he would be taking a list spot with which we could be developing another player.  Glad the club has been fairly good at the whole list management game over the last few years.

Guess we will all see soon enough.

17 hours ago, Vogon Poetry said:

Totally agree.  If he doesn't get 100 games I'll lose some respect for the Club as it will show they, like some here, don't value people.

A club can't survive and thrive if it doesn't. Those using the argument that "it's a business" clearly haven't run or understand business.

Those making this statement clearly haven't worked for a large business, where respect and the strongest relationships stem from widely acknowledged capability..

Edited by nrc73
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Mach5 said:
13 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

Not only that, but supporters get annoyed when we 'overlooked' a player that was also ignored in the draft by most of the other clubs in the competition as well.  

"We could of had him" they cry... yeah, so could the rest of the competition...

EFA

You do realise Wiseblood was correct here with his original post?
"Could of" does not exist.
"Could have" is always the correct phrase.  Or the contraction of this "could've" is also correct.

Sorry for the grammar pedantry.

• Like 2

Watch Jack have an absolute cracker of a match...

*Good form coming in

*Long time between drinks

*Can boost his chances of being retained by Dees for next year

*Can show he would be a good pick up should an exit from the Dees be on the cards

Good luck Jack! Top bloke who had time to chat with my 7 yr old son at training earlier this year.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2016 at 8:29 PM, DemonWA said:

I think he'll get a game soon actually.

I don't see Harmes, Stretch, Wagner and Bugg all holding form for the rest of the season, and when they slip he'll get a crack given that ANB and Newton didn't make the most of their opportunities

Agree. Remember that the last 2 years our form has significantly declined after the bye round and no doubt everyone's aware of this. It's still a very young side that will tire as the season goes on and Grimes will eventually be used, if not only as a back fill but also to improve his trade ability.

15 hours ago, DV8 said:

You've totally lost it  b2803.

It has nothing to do with numbers & games.  None.

It is all about the players love & respect, for the one they are honoring. this is all it is. a show of pride in the person thay are hoisting up on their shoulders. 

A public showing of their respect for their comrade.  Pride.

I've totally lost it?

Other than for a retirement, let me know when the last person got chaired off that WASN'T for a milestone match.  And while you're doing that, tell me the last bloke that got chaired off for playing his 100th.

19 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Head in the sand Boss?

No Mate.....Just looking to the future not the past

16 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

But he was always a good ordinary footballer when compared to others. If you disagree no probs, but that's how i have always seen Grimes career. 

We can agree on this post. It was more where you described him as rubbish, butchering every second possession and losing most contests, which just isn't true. 

Grimes is a great servant of our club. He has played very good football at Casey, hasn't complained or spat the dummy.

He has earned his game. I hope he plays well and keeps his spot.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Mega_Watts said:

"Could have" is always the correct phrase.  Or the contraction of this "could've" is also correct.

I think you missed the point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billy2803 said:

I've totally lost it?

Other than for a retirement, let me know when the last person got chaired off that WASN'T for a milestone match.  And while you're doing that, tell me the last bloke that got chaired off for playing his 100th.

Don't worry about the "chairing off", it is a nothing matter. If they do, so be it if he is leaving and if they don't, who cares. 

This is about a bloke who has done his best for a putrid club over a number of years and who on form this year  deserves a couple of games which incidentally would take him to 100 with us. 

I actually think he will go past the 100 with us by a few games and then leave. 

9 minutes ago, Redleg said:

We can agree on this post. It was more where you described him as rubbish, butchering every second possession and losing most contests, which just isn't true. 

Never used the word rubbish

Just now, Sir Why You Little said:

Never used the word rubbish

Implied, when describing a bloke who butchers every second possession and can't stand his ground in a contest. That is a rubbish player. 

16 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Hmm bit rough I think. We all had the same thing to say about Jetta, Gawn, Watts at some point in their careers. Jetta is proof that you can turn things around with the right people around you. Grimes was a "good ordinary footballer" in a terrible side, but so were a few others who have improved. Pederson was a joke for a while there but he's a solid contributor now. Not the future, sure, but a required depth player. He was nothing more than a filler a few years back, taking up space until someone better came along. Matt Jones had improved tenfold this year before he got injured. He's a different player this year. Ordinary footballs in bad teams often become solid players in solid/good/great teams. There are plenty of examples throughout history. Grimes I feel is the kind of guy that can really step it up and become a good player. He might turn it around. Sometimes depending on the character, it's hard to be your best when everyone around you is right at the bottom of the barrel. 

I'm betting on him being really influential when he comes back into the side. I just have a feeling. He was primed to be a young star when he started. We essentially got him for Travis Johnstone and at the time we were all loving him. He dropped away and fell off after injuries, and came back to full fitness around the time the club was in the midst of arguably its worst ever era. The fact the club muffed the development of so many players, yet he still managed to be a "good ordinary football" whilst taking on the captaincy of a club with no leadership and no talent I think says a lot about his character. 

He deserves another chance. I completely sympathise with his frustration. Probably more than any other player at the club who had to put up with the crap the club put the players through from 2010-2013.

Edited by praha

14 hours ago, nrc73 said:

Those making this statement clearly haven't worked for a large business, where respect and the strongest relationships stem from widely acknowledged capability..

As Tessio said to Michael Corleone at the moment he was being taken away for execution "it was just business."

11 hours ago, Mega_Watts said:

Your point..?

Which option do you honestly think the mob of fools would cry?

15 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Have defiantly been impressed with Wagner this year, but clearly Grimes is a better option this week!

On my off the cuff account, we have had a pretty charmed year injury wise this year.  All teams need depth and if we could retain Grimes on a modest contract, could he be worth retaining on that basis?  Granted he would be taking a list spot with which we could be developing another player.  Glad the club has been fairly good at the whole list management game over the last few years.

Guess we will all see soon enough.

I'd argue Wagner is a far more confident play maker than Grimes, but eventually he'll need a spell as a young player and agree with the rest of your comments. As much as it makes me uncomfortable thinking about it .. what if Grimes was being used some type of psychological motivation to the rest of the group? i.e. 'not even being a captain makes you untouchable'.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Grimes plays this week and was BOG. Then plays well for the rest of the year and then says he is leaving, because of how he was treated. 

No, it would be very sad but I would rejoice in seeing the player succeed regardless of where it is.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, billy2803 said:

I've totally lost it?

those who get chaired off on retirement.

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Average

Do you like arguing for the sake of it?

You say a player  who butchers every second possession and can't stand his ground in a contest, is an average player.

You win, I give up, you clearly don't want a sensible discussion.

• Like 1