Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

1988 finals wins over Collingwood & Carlton

As I started following footy and the Dee's in 1989 as a 7 year old, I have no recollection of these 2 finals wins (Carlton and Collingwood) in 1988 and kind of feel they're never really talked about much.

We always hear about and see the highlights and the excitement of our breakthrough 1987 finals smashings of North and Sydney as well as the heartbreak of the prelim v's Hawks. The Gary Lyon winning snap over West Coast in the 1988 elimination final was synonymous with the Dee's classic highlights of the 80's.  And I've seen countless replay of our elimination win over Collingwood in the wet in 1989 at Waverley.

However the 13 point win over Collingwood at the MCG, followed by a 22 point win over Carlton to book our well overdue grand final appointment must have been magical moments for Dee fans as well as memorable wins in the history of our club.

Would love to hear about people's  re-collections and memories of these 2 games. Any good stories associated with the 2 games. Were we favourites to win each? Who for the MFC put in brilliant performances that elevated them to the class of players that could  dominate on the big stage.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell
  • Like 1

I can remember the Collingwood game and being very happy at the end only to have a middle aged disgruntled female Collingwood supporter turn around and say to me that we would not win again. ( From that day on Collingwood supporters have had a special place in my heart.)

While the Collingwood match was at the MCG, the Carlton match was at Waverley. There was rain on and off during the second half if I remember correctly. Not sure but I think it was reasonably close all day until we kicked away in the last 5-10 minutes. Went a small way towards erasing the memories of the previous year at the same ground (now that is a game that will never be forgotten.)

The next week in the Grand Final we were beaten by quarter time and the dream was ended.

All in all the nineties was a good time for the club. I have always thought we could have won the flag in 1990. There were a number of teams including ourselves that were relatively equal. (Unlike 1988 and 2000 where we came up against outright favourite teams at the peak of their form.)

• Like 1

I have kind of forgotten these games as the whole finals series was over shadowed by our GF loss.

We dominated Collingwood but nearly kicked ourselves out of the game. 

We kicked away from Carlton in the 3rd quarter after a hard fought  first half. We blew away a big first quarter lead. A  highlight was Gary Lyon kicking what must have been an 85 metre goal to finally bury Carlton. 

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 2

Was at both games. I think i have them on VHS

Sean Wight was awsome againt the Filth

G Lyons goal right on half time?

Inside the square at Waverley was a serios roost. 

Ricky Jackson kicked a lucky one (it was a point!)

I remember '88 for the tremendous run we made which in turn gained a GF spot for the team ... we were lucky to even make the finals in fact.   We needed to win our last H & A game against the 2nd team on the ladder (Carlton) just to secure 5th spot (the final 5 was in operation in those days)

I'm always surprised as to why people seemed so disappointed in our GF showing ... we were never a realistic chance although we had beaten the Hawks during that season.  We did exceedingly well to make the GF and that's how that year should be remembered.

Coming 2nd was an achievement of sorts and only those who only value winning the GF would disagree.  Our record during the H & A was 13 & 9 and teams with that sort of record are not supposed to reach the GF ... we defied the odds and shouldn't be condemned for ultimately losing out to a much superior team.  Carlton were also a better team (at least on paper) but we defeated them twice within 3 weeks.   From memory Sean Wight & Ricky Jackson featured in the goals in that preliminary final win (against Carlton)

I'd take the '88 year again over any of our past 9 years ... in a nanosecond.

During that Northey era we were a very good team but never a great team ... add 3 or 4 quality players and we would have won a flag or 2.  1990 remains more of a disappointment in my eyes.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

All in all the nineties was a good time for the club. I have always thought we could have won the flag in 1990. There were a number of teams including ourselves that were relatively equal. (Unlike 1988 and 2000 where we came up against outright favourite teams at the peak of their form.)

Debatable. 1990 and 1991 were good seasons, but 92 and 93 were massively disappointing, and who could forget losing to Essendon on ANZAC Day after leading by 7 goals at three quarter time, and giving the Swans their only win in 1993. 1994 was great, but 95 was terrible as we handed Brisbane their first ever finals appearance. 96 had merger talks and about ten 100-point beltings, and 97 we finished last. 98 was great but 99 was arguably as bad as 97. 

We haven't had a consistently "good" decade since the 50s.

Edited by praha
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, radar said:

Lucky to make the Collingwood game.

Spalding's late miss.

Danny's crude tackle overlooked.

Gary again snaps.

Matera's chance to be a hero goes wide.

Matera? Aren't you thinking of the Eagles game? Wrensted kicked the point.

'88 Elimination Final highlights : 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, AngryAtCasey said:

My main memory of 88' was watching the replay of the semi on VHS and the brawl at the start of the match.

Yep, brawl at the start of the match and Shane Kerrison dropping his knees into Jimmy Stynes during the first quarter.

The 88 Semi vs the Pies was awesome, huge crowd, sunny day and the result was never in doubt (to me). I loved it as a 6yo but my main memory of the day is yelling out to Chopper Lovell as he ran past on the bench warming up along the boundary and calling him Steve Febey and him giving me a funny look.

The Prelim we were sat on the top tier of Waverley on the wing on a miserable day as most days at Waverley were. I don't remember this ever being in doubt either and remember Garry Lyon's torp from the centre square going through for a goal and another snap he did from the pocket. Great day at the footy as a kid knowing we were going to the Granny.

• Like 3

Love the game against Carlton.  Sean Wight was heroic that day.  G Lyon ran Rhys-Jones off his feet.  A mate - a number of years older than me-  who was with me at the time cried as he thought he'd never see another granny again in his lifetime .  Even though we got belted by Hawthorn, that was enough for him.  He loved going to training during grand final week.  Sadly, he's no longer with us.  I remember Stuart Spencer's great address to the crowd at the Junction Oval at Thursday night training.

After that prelim, we ended up at the Black Prince in Chapel Street.  Sat with Balls, the Febey twins and their dad.  Great bloke.  Have to say, the night was a bit of a blur after about 830pm.

• Like 3

I can remember Kernahan kicking badly. 

Somebody across half back beat him convincingly. 

Did the wind swing around 180 degrees during the match.

Think it may have been Jamie Duursma who had Kernahans measure. O'Dwyer got weeks for whacking Da Rui and missed the GF. Ricky Jackson hit the post in the last quarter and had his head in his hands as the goal umpire signalled a goal (no goal review back then).

The Collingwood game was never in doubt with Stephen Newport doing a great job on Daicos.

• Like 3

As one who started attending the footy inin earnest as a 9 yo in 86, amoungst my most favourably remembered wins are last Rd 87 Vs Footscray at the 'Western Oval' and 88 Prelim Vs Carlton 88.

My memories of the Carlton game pretty much only amount to the celrbrations after the siren, after which it was almost as if we had won the GF to many of the battle hardened supporter of old around me.  I fairly clearly remember the words "And what's even better is that it's against Carlton!!" being said around me more than once.  Whilst some have played down this latter statement, in retrospect it should be remembered that 1. Carlton were the last years premier's and 2. We had also come within a whisker of beating the Hawks in a premlim the year before and most importantly 3. They were 'F***ing Carlton'.

Still the glory days in my time were early/mid 90s.  Just needed a bit more of a harder edge leadership/coaching wise to get us to a double chance ladder position and we would have broken the drought then and there.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Biffen said:

Did the wind swing around 180 degrees during the match.

On 2 June 2016 at 7:46 PM, Fifty-5 said:

We kicked with the wind for 3 quarters in the Carlton game at Waverley.  The rain hid my tears of joy at the final siren. 

I thought that was the 87 Prelim. In 88 Carlton kicked first to the end where G Lyon kicked that huge torp in the last, and they were about 6 goals up at quarter time; suggests the wind stayed the same way. 

Btw, after what we've been going through the last decade it's seems hard to imagine that we ever played finals, let alone won them and made GFs! 

17 minutes ago, Tim said:

I thought that was the 87 Prelim. In 88 Carlton kicked first to the end where G Lyon kicked that huge torp in the last, and they were about 6 goals up at quarter time; suggests the wind stayed the same way. 

Btw, after what we've been going through the last decade it's seems hard to imagine that we ever played finals, let alone won them and made GFs! 

It was us that kicked 6 to 1 in the first quarter. Carlton got 8 to 3 in the second. The wind  swung around at about 3/4 time. 

• Like 1

Was Earl the pearl with us or them at that stage?

The 88 finals were memorable.

The comeback against the Eagles at VFL park. We were asleep in the first half. Lyons goal and Wrensteads miss were the difference. Alan Johnson was the real hero.

Game against Magpies... I felt we were always going to win. 

Back to VFL Park for prelim. The ghosts of 87 were still on our minds.  Jackson and Wight were the heros. I still felt nervous at 3/4 time as the Blues had the wind advantage. Then at the siren... exhilaration but panic. How do you get GF tickets... a new challenge.

Myself and other friends queued overnight to get tickets (Captains Club) and we went with hope to play the Hawks. We got smashed.  Bad goalkicking meant we were down early and it was boys against men. We had 2 players with over 100 games experience and the Hawks had 9 with over 100 games and at least half their team was dual premiership players. Hope gave way to disappointment. 

I agree 1990 was our true hope and the one we should have won.

• Like 1