Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes vs Port

What

17 hours ago, monoccular said:

Exactly  Imagine if say Viney did exactly the same thing - 2-3 weeks!  Corrupt or inept, or both?

Rusty......whatever attributes Dawes may have over Pedersen, and I would dispute that he has many at this stage of their respective careers, rucking is not one of them.  IMO Watts is a better ruck option than Dawes, especially a Dawes just returning from a chronic / recurring leg injury. 

Not "whatever" attributes Mono. What i said was i think he is a slightly more effective forward/ruck relief option than Pedo. Pedo the better utility with the ability to play forward/back more effectively than Dawes but not Forward/Ruck relief. The advantage in the ruck is minimal i agree but IMO it's there. From what i've seen when Dawes/Pedo relieve in the center (when Dawes is fit which is rare i realise), Dawes has a slight advantage in neutralising a contest. From my experience i have noticed we tend to bleed more goals as soon as Pedo enters the center bounce contest (ie., we neutralise/win less contests vs Dawes....MARGINALLY). Around the ground i think you could pretty much put anyone in there if Gawn's not in (eg., Spencil/Watts,Dawes up forward/Pedo down back if playing there at the time etc) as i think any of these alternatives aren't a patch on Gawn (around the ground or in the center).

To really know who is the better ruck relief you would need to see Champion data stats on Pedo v Dawes for hit outs to advantage over the last few years. We should also do the same with others such as Watts but of course i don't think there woud be enough data on Watts given i'm pretty sure that last match was one of the rare times he has been thrown in there. All we can do is speculate and each observer will have their own opinion. Unfortunately that's all our views are though (opinion) without that key stat to back it up.

Edited by Rusty Nails

1 hour ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

Out: Wagner, Hunt (resting) and Oliver (no risking/rest)
In: Tyson, Jetta (for obvious reasons) and one of Pedo/Dawes depending on match fitness etc (most likely Pedo)
Note: I actually think we could go without the extra tall against port with their smaller lineup and the humidity making it slippery for talls so a bit wait and see with that one. I was pretty pleased with Watts in the ruck so they could go that again, who knows.

Big game for the following:
Michie, ANB, Newton, Omac and Garland depending on form and/or match ups they will be most vulnerable to be replaced by the 3 resters. 

Personaly I think both ANB and Newton deserve an extended run in the seniors but unfortunatly they just dont seem to fit for now. Not to mention a nr 2 pick who has put his hand up for a game in the coming weeks 

The humidity in Alice Springs on Saturday is predicted to be about half that of Melbourne. Melb 71% Alice 36%  Why don't people fact check?

• Like 1

On 24 May 2016 at 0:50 PM, Rusty Nails said:

Forgot Jetta was out lol.

Swapping Spencil for Gawn as Gawn looks like he is in much need of a freshen up to take us into a solid second half of the season and get him back to his best around the ground. His around the ground work, outside of taps to our advantage which is always a fair way above the likes of Spencil, indicated he is well down on his best and may well be carrying a stack of bruising/general soreness. One week is not going to hurt and the Ruck role can be covered if Spencil works his butt off with assistance from Dawes and 3rd ups. A full game and a half (or so) at Casey should see Spencil reasonably match fit. Not ideal but as i said, if Dawes is in we can rest Spencil up forward also. Spencil can take the odd mark and goal there also. Haven't seen much of that from Gawn last few weeks.

Dawes in is a better ruck relief / forward option than Pedo for "this week" IF Gawn is rested. Dawes has shown solid form at Casey last 2 weeks and IMO is a slightly better tall forward option for us that we have been crying out for.

Having said all that i don't think the match committee will risk resting Big M this week lol. So yes Pedo could also get a guernsey. Pedo has an advantage over Dawes in that he can play a role down back or up forward (or both). But Dawes is more handy in the ruck IMO (just marginally) and is a slightly better forward (again marginally) than Pedo.

We could play both also with Pedo in for OMac but that would make it 5 changes.

4 would seem the max so the most likely for me would be

- Tyson for Viv

- Pedo for Omac (if fit)

- Dawes for ANB as i think our mid rotations are covered with the inclusion of Tyson; and

- Jetta for Wagner

Just ignores just he fact that Pederson is a surprisingly poor defender

9 minutes ago, Farmer said:

Just ignores just he fact that Pederson is a surprisingly poor defender

Might not be the greatest but i think he has the edge over Omac at this point in their careers Farm. Omac may well overtake him at some point but pretty sure the match committee would take a fit Pedo over Omac IMO and not just for a defensive role. Omac is in the early embryonic stages of learning a defensive role for now which limits the FD's options on match day especially if one of our forwards incurs an injury/concussion on the day.

Edited by Rusty Nails

46 minutes ago, ManDee said:

The humidity in Alice Springs on Saturday is predicted to be about half that of Melbourne. Melb 71% Alice 36%  Why don't people fact check?

Federal government spending cuts.

• Like 8

22 hours ago, WAClark said:

Gawn is not winning ruck contests or getting the ball around the ground - is it tiredness or form? I'd say tiredness.

I understand he has a left hand injury. That is why he is dropping so many marks which he took earlier in the year cos he is effectively going for them one handed. His hitting out isn't affected because he does that with his right hand.

It is interesting in the presser after the Brisbane game Roos quite pointedly said the press don't understand how we (the MFC) judge Max's performance. He said for him it was about hit outs and clearances. The problem is that recently, particularly against top eight sides, he has been beaten in that criteria.

IMHO I think if he is injured then he should be rested, and replaced by Spencer. He is much too valuable player to be risked with long term injury. And who knows, we might even play better in the near term than our recent inconsistent form.

Edited by Dees2014
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Dees2014 said:

IMHO I think if he is injured then he should be rested, and replaced by Spencer. He is much too valuable player to be risked with long term injury. And who knows, we might even play better in the near term than our recent inconsistent form.

But we don't know the details of the injury and how it is progressing.  If it is steadily getting better and there is no long term risk, then they can play him (other considerations aside, like giving him a rest). As usual we are enjoying speculating in an information vacuum.

I think Jetta Tyson and Grimes will come in.

Who will come out I don't know , but feel they will rest a few youngsters for this match.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dees2014 said:

I understand he has a left hand injury. That is why he is dropping so many marks which he took earlier in the year cos he is effectively going for them one handed. His hitting out isn't affected because he does that with his right hand.

It is interesting in the presser after the Brisbane game Roos quite pointedly said the press don't understand how we (the MFC) judge Max's performance. He said for him it was about hit outs and clearances. The problem is that recently, particularly against top eight sides, he has been beaten in that criteria.

Spencer on his pat do the job over there 2014? with Pedo and Wattsy and co to assist and Gawn fresh for Hawks.

2 hours ago, DeeZee said:

Who will come out I don't know , but feel they will rest a few youngsters for this match.

Misson reckons Clarry is "probably going to get up" so you can definitely write him off for the weekend based on that endorsement.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Plapp racked up a season-high 25 "really's" in the VFL report this week to go with a solid half a dozen "pleased's". As a key promotion indicator, expect a few to come in.

I'd be really pleased to see this

4 hours ago, DeeZee said:

Agree with ins. And assume the youngsters to come will be the ones the Club feels least likely to run out the entire match after a 6 day break

i think I'm in a group of one but I wouldn't be too surprised to see Kent omitted too

13 hours ago, sue said:

But we don't know the details of the injury and how it is progressing.  If it is steadily getting better and there is no long term risk, then they can play him (other considerations aside, like giving him a rest). As usual we are enjoying speculating in an information vacuum.

Quite, but there is no doubt his output and effectiveness has reduced considerably over the last 2-3 weeks. Now this maybe that the opposition has simply worked him out, but that does not explain the reason why he is spilling so many overhead marks. An injured hand makes sense in that context. Or he simply might need a rest. 

Now that Spencer is back in form we now have more options. For mine the best option is to play both Spencer and Gawn as we did against Geelong last year so effectively. I'm not holding my breath though. 

Was initially thinking this could be the week to rest Oliver again given his corkie and possibly track also with the 6 day break.

However this is a crucial game for us given where both teams are on the ladder. An old 8 point game. So i think resting players can be put off till the Hawthorn game instead.

IN: Dawes, Jetta, Tyson

OUT: O. McDonald, Neal-Bullen, Newton

FB: Wagner, Garland, Jetta

HB: Vince, T. McDonald, Hunt

C: Bugg, N. Jones, Tyson

HF: Petracca, Hogan, Kent

FF: Watts, Dawes, Garlett 

FOLL: Gawn, Oliver, Viney

INT: Harmes, Kennedy, Michie, Stretch 

EMERG: Neal-Bullen, Newton, Pedersen 

Unlucky for Nibbler, Newton & Oscar, but last in, first out.

On 5/24/2016 at 10:45 AM, stuie said:

OUT: Oliver (inj/rest), Hunt, Wagner, OMac, Michie

IN: Jetta, Pedersen, Tyson, Grimes, Trengove

Garland would get murdered by whichever of Dixon or Westhoff he has to play on. He'd be a good match up for Aaron Young.

If OMac goes out we need another big bodied defender like Frost or Dunn if not for form then at least for match-ups. We've ignored match-ups at our peril so far this season.

Pederson I suppose is an option but suspect he would come back in as fwd/ruck.

27 minutes ago, Radar Detector said:

Garland would get murdered by whichever of Dixon or Westhoff he has to play on. He'd be a good match up for Aaron Young.

If OMac goes out we need another big bodied defender like Frost or Dunn if not for form then at least for match-ups. We've ignored match-ups at our peril so far this season.

Yeah, probably a fair call, you could bring in Dunn instead of Trenners possibly and then have his return game at the G next round (which would make us all happy I think).

37 minutes ago, Radar Detector said:

Yes I agree with Trengove and Grimes. I think we have missed experienced heads over the last month at time. The leadership these two bring I think might be really valuable as we head into the depths of winter!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Radar Detector said:

I think Frost is the more appealing than Dunn, I skimmed through the Casey game replay last night and while i admit to not watching super intently i liked what i saw of him coming out from the backline.

That being said i would be surprised if they dropped Omac after 1 game, he was shakey yes but i think he just needs confidence in his spot, dropping him for that will do nothing to help. His positioning was good at times, he was part of a few nice passages and he got beaten 1 on 1 a few times but also saved a certain goal when out numbered and out sized. I think with jetta coming back in to strengthen the defence it is worth us giving Oscar 2-4 weeks in the seniors to get used to the pace and then see what he is like. I think if he settles he will slot in nicely. Bringing him in for 1 game stints 3-5 times over the year wont be nearly as helpfull than giving him 3-5 games in a row then putting him back to casey with a clearer understanding on what he needs to improve on.  

4 hours ago, AngryAtCasey said:

Was initially thinking this could be the week to rest Oliver again given his corkie and possibly track also with the 6 day break.

However this is a crucial game for us given where both teams are on the ladder. An old 8 point game. So i think resting players can be put off till the Hawthorn game instead.

I reckon bring in Trengove up there less pressure.

• Like 2

On 24/05/2016 at 11:14 PM, DeeSpencer said:

Really though if we go too much lower down to something like 40 then you might ruin the benefits that 90 has delivered.

Instead of more one on one footy you might get less as teams will be determined to flood back and hold possession. Instead of tall forwards and defenders playing close to full games they might be taken out of the game in favour of 22 running players of similar build. Instead of some of the good midfielders going up against each other throughout the day the tactics of the 10 fresh changes per quarter could see players multiple players doing short bursts in the midfield before rotating to flanks and pockets. 

Might... might... might...

Try it and we'll find out. 

The game survived for over 100 years with players getting tired. 

• Like 1

Hard to make calls on who is sore, but I am sure that there will be at least one surprise exclusion given the short turnaround and how flat we were last 6 day break against Saints...

I think that Tyson, Jetta and Pederson are certain inclusions. I can see Oliver going out for Tyson (only because they will likely manage his corky) and I think that Michie or Hunt will make way for Jetta.. Who will go for Pederson, not really sure...

Then the only other area of concern is who will play on Dixon? I would like Dunn to come back for Omac, but not too sure that Roos will go down this path.

Trenners is unlucky this week, but lets be honest, he is not ahead of ANB and Newton on form and we had a good win on the weekend, so he will need to wait.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AngryAtCasey said:

This is round 10.  We have a bye in round 14.  I doubt many players will require a "rest" in between. 

I don't quite get the love for Frost as a defender to be honest. He is a poor kick, which is more of a problem down back than as a forward, particularly given Tmac is not always the most reliable kick and Frost would play a similar run and carry role. In this role turnovers are almost always costly

Roosy seems to have backpedalled a bit on the prospect of 3 or 4 changes for this week, and without giving too much away, now seems more inclined to just 2 inclusions (Jetta and Tyson):  

Rd 9: Roos Views