Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes vs Port

What

58 minutes ago, Macca said:

So many factors go into picking a team on a week to week basis (these days) ...

• The 'rest' factor (especially with the younger players)
  • Getting game time into the inexperienced players
  • Needing more experienced players against certain teams.
  • Do we work best with a tall forward line and/or a tall backline (as per the opposition team match-ups)
  • With the zone that we're employing, do certain players suit more than others.
  • Do we play a straight tagger if needed (Bugg can play that role but always?)
  • Some in form decent player might miss out simply because we can't find a role for him or there simply isn't a spot.
  • Selection based on targeting winnable games whilst experimenting in the tougher games (or vice-versa)
  • Breeding confidence by giving certain players a block of games
  • Making sure the team picked will gel together (same for the teams within the team - backline, forward line etc)
  • Getting the structures right as per the opposition.
  • Being more cautious with injuries and concussions
  • Form (whether that form (or lack of form) is being displayed in the seniors or the reserves)
  • Injuries or "the mystery illness/injury of the week"
  • And there is often a selection based on a bit of x-factor

There is a general idea in this thread that we should play around with structures a bit (e.g. ruck) or rest players to be cherry-ripe for our upcoming series of big games. Wins/Losses haven't really bothered me all that much this season as I can see where we are going, but this game is the first where I've seriously cared about the outcome. The result to me will have a big season-long impact on any challenge for the 8. A win could see us move into the 8 with the following fixture presumably competing against the Hawks for their spot. That motivation and the confidence from winning is important and I don't think we should muck about. Alternatively, a loss will drop us back down into the pack below, and a four game losing-streak heading into the bye is the last thing we want. If Gawn needs a rest, let him kick his feet up during the week. Ditto Oliver. If Garland doesn't fit he doesn't fit. And no need to be sentimental over ANB or Omac right now. They will get their chances.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevethemanjordan said:

How about for Sydney, Geelong and West Coast?

Whether or not it would work would come down to more than two key forwards being able to apply 'good pressure' off the ball, but of course pressure off the ball from all players helps.

Let's see what transpires.

Seriously 'steve', you and I both know Spencer is not in the same league as the guys in the teams you've mentioned.

...and Max is not a forward, they would run rings around us if we went in too tall. Unless of course it is a blue moon, and the way Port have been playing it's possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ManDee said:

Is there another kind? But seriously multiple posters complaining about the heat and humidity in Darwin!  Its hot in Ho Chi Minh city too, so what, we  are playing in Alice Spings!

Gorgoroth: Fool, it's hot! Damn hot! Were you born on the sun? Hottest things is my shorts. I could cook things in them. A little crotch pot cooking! 

3 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Gorgoroth: Fool, it's hot! Damn hot! Were you born on the sun? Hottest things is my shorts. I could cook things in them. A little crotch pot cooking! 

Good morning Skuit

23 hours ago, Skuit said:

There is a general idea in this thread that we should play around with structures a bit (e.g. ruck) or rest players to be cherry-ripe for our upcoming series of big games. Wins/Losses haven't really bothered me all that much this season as I can see where we are going, but this game is the first where I've seriously cared about the outcome. The result to me will have a big season-long impact on any challenge for the 8. A win could see us move into the 8 with the following fixture presumably competing against the Hawks for their spot. That motivation and the confidence from winning is important and I don't think we should muck about. Alternatively, a loss will drop us back down into the pack below, and a four game losing-streak heading into the bye is the last thing we want. If Gawn needs a rest, let him kick his feet up during the week. Ditto Oliver. If Garland doesn't fit he doesn't fit. And no need to be sentimental over ANB or Omac right now. They will get their chances.

I threw that bit in ... "Selection based on targeting winnable games whilst experimenting in the tougher games (or vice-versa)"  because I reckon we went into 'experimental mode' in that block of 3 games last season (Freo, Syd & Hawks - rounds 5,6 & 7) but .... playing against those same 3* teams this season represent a real chance to see how good we are.  More so the Sydney and Hawthorn encounters. 

Every game is now winnable in my eyes but some games are going to be tough and we're going to need a lot of things going in our favour to win those games ... however, that's miles better than believing we're no chance.  The players should always believe that they can win any game - I'm more talking as a supporter.

I like JR's idea of playing 2 ruckmen and seeing if we can obliterate them in the clearances.  They might have a plan to rove to Gawn but if we mix and match it with Port and end up with 2 dominant ruckmen, it may prove to be an real advantage.

Regardless, we won't be picking a poor team this week (at least on paper)

*We play the Hawks twice

Edited by Macca

33 minutes ago, ManDee said:

Read the rule, no mention of gentle trips being OK.

Edit:- The point is not how gentle it was, the point is did he trip him or not? If he tripped him it is a reportable offence.

So if you carelessly fall and trip another player you should be suspended? According to the rules, yes. Using common sense, no.

I would need to see it again, but my thoughts at the time were that he didn't trip him, would say it was more of a kick, which is also reportable. Similar to jumper punches if there isn't much force, nothing happens. Gorgoroth is probably on the money that he might have got a fine if it wasn't going to lead to a suspension. I would be filthy if one of our players got suspended for that, Vince has been getting away with more.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, McQueen said:

At least the AFL journo's are up to speed...

"NEXT UP
Melbourne travels to Darwin's TIO Traeger Park to face Port Adelaide next Saturday."

They also wrote a story about how Steven May knocked out Melbourne ruckman Stef Martin over the weekend. I mean, seriously...

• Like 3

18 hours ago, AdamFarr said:

I reckon Max has earned one more match. More ordinary last week, ordinary this week, if he struggles again next week, I'd bring Spencer in. It might even be worth playing Spencer with Gawn. Rucks like having the position to themselves. It might make Max realise how important it is to remain consistent.

The other caveat in all of this is the potentiality of Gawn's finger/hand bugging him. It might will be deemed that Spencer and Pedersen can go against Port next week.

Spencer ain't playing his first game against Hawthorn.

Another interesting selection week. We have a few players that should come straight back in, we need to manage a 6 day turn around compared to Port's 7 days and we need to keep in mind that we have Hawthorn at the 'G' the week after. I would like to think we are looking at putting out the best side each week with a view to winning and not making 'tactical' selections based on giving a game away to and seeing what someone has to offer.

Jetta will come back in after his holiday. Pedersen and Tyson should come back in if they are fully recovered from their illness. That is a minimum of three changes in my book and I can see there might be two others given a 'rest' week. another factor to keep in mind is that there is no Casey game this week so anyone left out will be having a footy free weekend.

In defence we seem to still be looking for the perfect diamond. I did not see a lot from OMac on the weekend. saw a couple of good things he did but looked to be found out of position a few times on a very inexperienced forward. Garland had a good game and is coming into a bit of his old form so I would keep him in. TMac, Jetta and Garland to make up 3 points of the diamond with Dunn or Frost as the 4th point. I keep looking for reasons to drop either Wagner or Hunt but, while they do some have a few brainfats every now and then they do add a lot to our run and spread out of defence. I like Hunt's run he looks like a faster version of H. One of them may need a rest but I would be looking to get them to make one more game and then swing a few management changes the following week for the hawthorn game.

The forward setup looks to be working and they look to enjoy working together. Watts, Kent, Garlett and Hogan are building a good understanding and fluency. Hames is effective up there as is Kennedy but I can see them rotating a bit on to the wings and midfield along with Petracca who looks to be playing a little more on the ball up the ground. Cannot see to many changes happening there except we may go back to having either Pedersen or Dawes working as a 2nd ruck/forward this week with the main role being a second ruck rather than a forward. Max had nearly 85% game time last week and was down on form. I would keep him in the team but drop his game time back into the mid 60's to give him light duties this week and look to the 2nd ruck to take a load of work against the rucks Port have.

The mids we have a few more options. but the bulk of them pick themselves. Jones, Viney, Stretch, Vince, Tyson (if recovered), all certain inclusions. Oliver is there as well if he comes up after his corkie. Bugg I would put in there as a certain inclusion but he plays out of back half of the ground. ANB keeps his spot for a second week as he had light game time and good impact when he was there.

This is my selection at the moment and I lean towards Frost and Pedersen inclusions rather than Dunn and Dawes. it also in predicated on Oliver having the week off to ensure he is right for the following week.

Unlucky for Newton as I think he played well. we do have some players at Casey that could easily slot into the team. Grimes, Trengove, Dawes, Dunn, Salem, Vdb, White and even Terlich has some good form. Spencer is running into a bit better form. Lumumba needs a couple of runs at Casey before he could be considered I believe.

There are 6 or 7 in that list that could slot into our present team and not weaken it.

B : Jetta Frost/Dunn Garland

HB : Hunt TMac Wagner

C : Stretch Tyson Vince

HF : Petracca Watts Kent

F : Garlett Hogan Harmes 

R : Gawn Viney Jones

BENCH : ANB Kennedy Bugg Pedersen/Dawes

• Like 1

I shall be true to my avatar by saying that the selectors should be totally focused on picking the best possible side against Port this Saturday, because there's virtually no prospect of winning the following week against Hawthorn. The team's record of backing up after NT matches is abysmal.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bingers said:

I shall be true to my avatar by saying that the selectors should be totally focused on picking the best possible side against Port this Saturday, because there's virtually no prospect of winning the following week against Hawthorn. The team's record of backing up after NT matches is abysmal.  

Disagree, I give us every chance to beat the Hawks,  it will take our best and we need to manage our players wisely. 

#TeamCap 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AzzKikA said:

I do not know if bringing Spencer in will work or not but as soon as i heard the idea, and thinking about Max's form, i thought this was a great solution.

Disclaimer: I am no coach and I do not claim to be an expert.

Mods - definitely needs suspension until he rectifies this terrible deficiency, one which almost qualifies him for deregistration, though for a first offence I guess a warning could be issued.  (I am feeling magnanimous after a win)

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Jesse Christ said:

Disagree, I give us every chance to beat the Hawks,  it will take our best and we need to manage our players wisely. 

#TeamCap 

I'd love your optimism to be justified JC!!! Go dees!!!

3 hours ago, bingers said:

When they draw came out I'm sure Roos and co were happy to see a top team the week after the Alice. If we're going to lose it may as well be to a top team rather than a 50/50 chance.

But it's no coincidence that since other teams have started playing their run and gun style they are struggling. They're bullies and now are getting a bit back, and I don't think they cope with that game style all that well. I think we'll match up well, if as JC says we manage players this week and bring our best next week. I should add I think we can win this week even if managing players. Again, comes down to bringing our best.

This might sound strange, but I'll be very surprised if we beat Port this week. The 6 day break worries me, as does Viney's potential injury and the thought of not playing Oliver. If both are fit to play I think we're a chance, otherwise if those two don't play we're very unlikely. I don't think it's adventurous to suggest that Viney and Oliver are as important to our side as Dangerfield and Selwood are to Geelong. Tyson back will be handy, but there's also Gawn's down turn in form that bothers me. If he can recapture it this week, then that'll be another factor that will go a long way to determining the result. If he doesn't, we'll have our work cut out for us.

Having said all that, this is the new MFCSS type of game. Previously the Brisbane game would have given us the wobbles, but they were simply too undermanned for that to happen on Sunday. Whereas, the Port game is a real test, because a) we should win it if we play good footy b) Port are competing with us for 9th at the moment and possibly that final 8 spot if Adelaide slips up and c) they're a team we haven't beaten in a while. If we're going to win 12+ games this year, Port are the sort of team we need to account for. 

• Like 1

Interesting table situation with the games this week. There are three teams on 24 points ( Bulldogs, Eagles and Hawks) and I would expect all of them to win. we are on 20 points along with the Crows and both of these games could be toss ups with the Crows playing GWS in Adelaide and with us playing Port in the Alice. I would like to think we can beat Port and would love to see the crows go down and that is highly possible. the others on 16 points with port are the Pies and the blues and I would expect them both to be beaten.

If that were to happen it would leave us in 8th, a game clear of the Crows and 2 clear of the rest of the chasers with a game against 7th place hawks the following week.

That would be interesting.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Skuit said:

I absolutely agree we should pick our best team, except there are two issues we need to consider:

1. for the first time in ten years there are probably 28-30 players who we would be happy playing, and exactly who we play probably does not matter much for the last 5-6 picked. In those circumstances we should rotate the younger ones to keep them fresh. There are a couple though who have unusual skills ( Viney, Clarrie) who make a huge difference to us and should play as often as possible; and

2. we should pick our side to best match up on our opposition. 

In both cases it provides plenty of room for rotations, which we should do for our young players' sakes.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Macca said:

So many factors go into picking a team on a week to week basis (these days) ...

• The 'rest' factor (especially with the younger players)
  • Getting game time into the inexperienced players
  • Needing more experienced players against certain teams.
  • Do we work best with a tall forward line and/or a tall backline (as per the opposition team match-ups)
  • With the zone that we're employing, do certain players suit more than others.
  • Do we play a straight tagger if needed (Bugg can play that role but always?)
  • Some in form decent player might miss out simply because we can't find a role for him or there simply isn't a spot.
  • Selection based on targeting winnable games whilst experimenting in the tougher games (or vice-versa)
  • Breeding confidence by giving certain players a block of games
  • Making sure the team picked will gel together (same for the teams within the team - backline, forward line etc)
  • Getting the structures right as per the opposition.
  • Being more cautious with injuries and concussions
  • Form (whether that form (or lack of form) is being displayed in the seniors or the reserves)
  • Injuries or "the mystery illness/injury of the week"
  • And there is often a selection based on a bit of x-factor

As much as some players will miss out from time to time or for a time, they will all get their chance if their form warrants it ... and sometimes a player will get opportunities just to see how they might go or how they might fit in - the match committee occasionally promoting players on spec is something that most or many MC's will do.

So, it's harder than it's ever been to pick a team from week to week (for us onlookers) ...

I've got Tyson & Jetta in as the only absolutes but we might make up to 5 changes (from a team that won by 63 points) ... as for who goes out, I'll defer to the above criteria :ph34r:

Footnote:  years ago the odd 'enforcer' or 2 would warrant selection.

Nicely formatted. Extra kudos for using bullet points.

• Like 1