Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CASEY SCORPIONS v BOX HILL HAWKS

KC from Casey

What a great win for the boys thanks again to KC and the Team out at Casey greatly appreciated - Go Scorps!!

Thanks Nasher.

I think it's great that he can go through the year without the pressure of having to come into the team too early. 

There are also plenty of key forwards in the Casey side to contend with at the moment as well with Dawes, Hulett and Tim Smith.

A couple of games perhaps late in the season will suffice, if any at all. 

• Like 5

Agreed WJ.  Given that he's physically got work to do by the sounds of it, it's no big deal if he doesn't get a run in the seniors at all this year, but it's only positive if his form demands it eventually. 

So nice to have the luxury of being patient.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Return to Glory said:

Wrote up the 'match of the round' one year for a couple of leagues bjDee. It was only two games in that I started to review the egg and bacon rolls, almost to the expense of the matches themselves. You can tell a lot about a club by the standard of it's egg and bacon rolls. Glad to hear Casey's are up there.

I've been going to Ajax games in the ammos for decades. I have never seen an egg and bacon roll at one of their home games. ?

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Red and Blue Flame said:

Dunn and Newton carry-over emergencies for tomorrow? Given Grimes played.

Strange we will not have a second ruck for Gawn tomorrow...we've lost a few games at the selection table this year - let's hope tomorrow isn't another one

Very nearly ventured out there this evening. Sorry I didn't now. Sounds like a great game and really pleasing about Dawes. He also started to play pretty well against Sandy as well. Very impressed with his endeavour. 

An in form Chris Dawes would be a huge boost for us over the next couple of years as we wait for the Weed to mature. I have always thought we were short of one quality lead up tall forward to lead the attack in the ones. Dawes in form is just that person, particularly given his strong leadership skills. Would be a great mentor for Hogan as well. 

Great win, and great reporting guys. 

Edited by Dees2014
  • Like 1

It was a heart stopper and a real grind. But tonight was a great win for Casey against last years runners up when at different times it looked like Box Hill may run away with it.

Here's how the players went from my view point;

Christian Salem: Thought he was good without being great. Played as a genuine mid, so was good to see him get that opportunity and he got a fair bit of the ball, although wasn't as clean i would have expected. One really good thing to see though was at the start of the last term when it was a 1 point ball game and in the balance, Salem got the first two clearances of the quarter. Sign of a player who stands up when needed.

Chris Dawes: Kicked 3 and thought he was good. Would have loved to see him take a few more contested grabs, though it wasn't really the night for that. Did a lot of tough bullocking work, chasing and tackling and set a few other goals up. Pedersen picked a bad week to miss ill as i think we may see Dawes back next week.

Jack Trengove: Another solid game for Trenners. The vast majority of his work was done in close where his hands were very good. I'd expect he'll be putting his hand up to play sooner or later.

Sam Frost: I'm just going to say it. He's a defender, and quite a good one at that. P,ayed well tonight i thought. Spoilt really well and on a couple of occasions used his speed to burn off his opponent and set up some rebound from our back line. Would have to be an outside chance to come in next week for a good match up on Westhoff.

Sam Weideman: Like Paul Keating's 'The recession we had to have' this was the game The Weed had to have given how well he's started his debut VFL year. Not the night for tall forwards and he really struggled to get into the game. Kept trying but just didn't happen. Nearly took a nice mark in front of goals late in the match to seal the game, however double grabbed at it and was spoilt. Reckon he'll learn a lot from tonight.

Liam Hulett: Like Weideman, struggled to have a huge influence, but didn't find the going as tough as The Weed. Competed well and was tough at the contest. Was reported in the 2nd term for what was nothing more then a shove and had his free kick for holding the ball reversed (it will get thrown out). Kicked a beautiful snap in the 2nd term, yet missed a sitter in the 3rd, so should of had 2.

Jack Grimes: Thought it was an odd game. Didn't even spot him for a good 20min into the game and barely noticed him. He then seemed to be in everything in the 2nd quarter and i thought was the driving force behind their great play. It was arguably the best quarter i've seen him play. He created a lot of run and used the ball well. He was then solid in the 2nd half i thought so a valuable contributor.

Jake Spencer: I thought he rucked really well while getting no help from tbe umpires for several ruck infringements that were never called. He did a bit around the ground also which was nice to see. His solid form is pleasing given our lack of ruck depth.

Aaron Vandenberg: Was obviously on reduced minutes given it was his first game back. Noticed him involved in a few physical scuffles which we always love to see him in, however i didn't reallly notice him have that big an impact on the game. Will need a few more weeks.

Mitch White: Another good game for Mitch at this level. What stood out for me with White was how clean he seemed to be with possession and his use of the ball off his right foot as well as his left. Did notice on at least 2 occasions he misjudged the flight of the ball in marking contests which could be a concern. Otherwise i thought he was very good.

Joel Smith: For me it was the best game i've seen Joel play. What really stood out was his athleticism and ability to run and jump. Like White i though he was very clean with his possession and he helped create a few goals. We may have found something here. Tall rangy wingman maybe???

Dean Terlich: Credit where it's due, i thought tonight was one of his better games. Defended well, ran well and even used it reasonably well. I only remember one howler which was dropping a mark he should of taken. Don't think it matters however, as pretty sure his papers are stamped.

Max King: Played alright i thought Max. Certainly the best game i've seen him play from a rucking perspective, although like Weideman and Hulett he struggled to have an impact when forward. Kicked a shocker after the siren at 1/4 time that i expected him to nail.

No Dunn or Newton tonight, which suggests Melbourne will likely have a late change tomorrow. A great win by the Scorps tonight though as they now go a game clear on top of the ladder with several players putting their hand up for senior selection.

Scorps probably could have won by more has they not been as wasteful going forward as compared to Box Hill, but any win over the Hawks is a good one.

Any questions, fire away.

Edit: Not last years premiers

Edited by AngryAtCasey
  • Like 31

2 hours ago, Return to Glory said:

Wrote up the 'match of the round' one year for a couple of leagues bjDee. It was only two games in that I started to review the egg and bacon rolls, almost to the expense of the matches themselves. You can tell a lot about a club by the standard of it's egg and bacon rolls. Glad to hear Casey's are up there.

Agree RTG.  And that's why my comments can be pretty sketchy.  Too often my eyes and even face can be buried in the E&B roll or beer that is my highest priority at the time. 

Back home now and will try to respond to some of the q's.

Yes, Weid played.  Agree with Hells Bells here.  Weid (Weed? What are we gonna call him?) did nothing in particular wrong, most of the entries to fwd arc did not come to him, or he was one of many in a pack going for the ball.  On a couple of occasions he was 1 on 1 with a defender in a running attempt at a mark but it was spoiled.  He didn't dominate as I have seen him do before.  But then those times he has surprised me.  Tonight he did what I expect of a first yr player. Contest the ball, but not get on top every time.

This was just such a high pressure game in the way it was played.  Almost all entries into our scoring zone were pressured at the disposal, and on the receiving end as well.  In fact in the last qtr, the Hawks had stepped it up so much in terms of pressure on the ball carrier that it looked like they were the Doggies and we were the Dees last Sunday.  It was super intense.  I've got to say that the players who stood out to me under the pressure situations were Dawes, Grimes and Trenners.  They seemed to hold their head - maintain their aggression at the ball but not lose their head / give away the contest under really strong pressure.

Whitey as really very very good in the few plays I saw him involved in (cringes at the thought of Picket grabbing hold of this snippet).  He plays bigger than his height and is pretty ferocious on the tackling. Have to admit I've always liked him too, but try to remain as objective as possible when providing any game commentary.  I was surprised at the high number of his possessions, so I'm sure I only saw a minority.  Blame the E&B roll and beers.

Trenners was more prominent early and I saw less of him as the game went on.  Not sure why - might have been his time on ground being managed, but I wasn't watching the interchange bench in the latter part.  I did see him do a clever bit of intercept in the intense heat of the last qtr - a Hawks player looked like they might be grabbing and getting away with the ball from a scrimmage and Trenners cleverly and desperately whacked the ball down out of his hands just before he got out of his reach.

Frosty played down back all game. He is very agile and I think he's got some good talent, but I thought he was a bit of a klutz this game.  He showed some spark and is very quick, but dropped a sitter, gave away a 50, and was a bit of an over eager puppy at the contested ball opportunities.  I really hope he can turn into a deadly assassin Alsatian as a defender, but he's got to get the yips and clumsiness out of his game. 

I thought Dawes (and I am no fan) was one of our best players in terms of effort for the whole of the game.  He was really motoring around the ground at times.  He was strong at aerial contests, very mobile up and down the ground, and I liked the way he took control of the forwards group at qtr time intervals and gave instructions to the fwds on their tactics.

The Scorps crowd was a good one.   As I walked around the perimeter and there was play in front of the stand, you could hear a good gutsy roar go up when the crown thought there was an infringement on a Scorps player.  But the Hawks supporters were there in good numbers too.  Not the biggest crowd I've seen , bit I'm sure the combination of timeslot and location has a fair bit to do with that.

I'm sure I've missed some but hopefully others can fill in the gaps.

• Like 15

6 minutes ago, AngryAtCasey said:

It was a heart stopper and a real grind. But tonight was a great win for Casey against the reigning premiers when at different times it looked like Box Hill may run away with it.

Here's how the players went from my view point;

Christian Salem: Thought he was good without being great. Played as a genuine mid, so was good to see him get that opportunity and he got a fair bit of the ball, although wasn't as clean i would have expected. One really good thing to see though was at the start of the last term when it was a 1 point ball game and in the balance, Salem got the first two clearances of the quarter. Sign of a player who stands up when needed.

Chris Dawes: Kicked 3 and thought he was good. Would have loved to see him take a few more contested grabs, though it wasn't really the night for that. Did a lot of tough bullocking work, chasing and tackling and set a few other goals up. Pedersen picked a bad week to miss ill as i think we may see Dawes back next week.

Jack Trengove: Another solid game for Trenners. The vast majority of his work was done in close where his hands were very good. I'd expect he'll be putting his hand up to play sooner or later.

Sam Frost: I'm just going to say it. He's a defender, and quite a good one at that. P,ayed well tonight i thought. Spoilt really well and on a couple of occasions used his speed to burn off his opponent and set up some rebound from our back line. Would have to be an outside chance to come in next week for a good match up on Westhoff.

Sam Weideman: Like Paul Keating's 'The recession we had to have' this was the game The Weed had to have given how well he's started his debut VFL year. Not the night for tall forwards and he really struggled to get into the game. Kept trying but just didn't happen. Nearly took a nice mark in front of goals late in the match to seal the game, however double grabbed at it and was spoilt. Reckon he'll learn a lot from tonight.

Liam Hulett: Like Weideman, struggled to have a huge influence, but didn't find the going as tough as The Weed. Competed well and was tough at the contest. Was reported in the 2nd term for what was nothing more then a shove and had his free kick for holding the ball reversed (it will get thrown out). Kicked a beautiful snap in the 2nd term, yet missed a sitter in the 3rd, so should of had 2.

Jack Grimes: Thought it was an odd game. Didn't even spot him for a good 20min into the game and barely noticed him. He then seemed to be in everything in the 2nd quarter and i thought was the driving force behind their great play. It was arguably the best quarter i've seen him play. He created a lot of run and used the ball well. He was then solid in the 2nd half i thought so a valuable contributor.

Jake Spencer: I thought he rucked really well while getting no help from tbe umpires for several ruck infringements that were never called. He did a bit around the ground also which was nice to see. His solud form is pleasing given our lack of ruck depth.

Aaron Vandenberg: Was obviously on reduced minutes given it was his first game back. Noticed him involved in a few physical scuffles which we always love to see him in, however i didn't reallly notice him have that big an impact on the game. Will need a few more weeks.

Mitch White: Another good game for Mitch at this level. What stood out for me with White was how clean he seemed to be with possession and his use of the ball off his right foot as well as his left. Did notice on at least 2 occasions he misjudged the flight of the ball in marking contests which could be a concern. Otherwise i thought he was very good.

Joel Smith: For me it was the best game i've seen Joel play. What really stood out was his athleticism and ability to run and jump. Like White i though he was very clean with his possession and he helped create a few goals. We may have found something here. Tall rangy wingman maybe???

Dean Terlich: Credit where it's due, i thought tonight was one of his better games. Defended well, ran well and even used it reasonably well. I only remember one howler which was dropping a mark he should of taken. Don't think it matters however, as pretty sure his papers are stamped.

Max King: Played alright i thought Max. Certainly the best game i've seen him play from a rucking perspective, although like Weideman and Hulett he struggled to have an impact when forward. Kicked a shocker aftwr the siren at 1/4 time that i expected him to nail.

No Dunn or Newton tonight, which suggests Melbourne will likely have a late change tomorrow. A great win by the Scorps tonight though as they now go a game clear on top of the ladder with several players putting their hand up for senior selection.

Scorps probably could have won by more has they not been as wasteful going forward as compared to Box Hill, but any win over the Hawks is a good one.

Any questions, fire away.

Good summary Angry. you've saved me the effort.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hells bells said:

Keilty did and played well. Not sure about Ed Morris

And I forgot to mention Keilty.  For a guy who is not the towering height of a ruckman, he can be asked to do some pretty challenging things at a ball up.  But what I most like is that he is very mobile, runs like the clappers and make an effort to get into a contest.  A little like Frost in his pace and (intended) intensity, but seems to be cleaner.  I don't know if he's ever going to make it as a ruck due to height deficit vs the giants, but he has potential to be a taller 'around the ground' player.  Still very young presumably, so lots of development to come.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Return to Glory said:

I have to say this.  I ate one of the legendary Bacon and Egg Rolls once. 

Once. 

I got halfway home when I was forced to make an emergence stop at the Karingal Hub.  There followed an excruciating five minutes (which felt like a few hours) dashing around looking for the loo.  I made it, if just barely.  It was explosive.  The smell was like something the Germans used to clear trenches in WW1.  I felt violated when it was over, and tried to avoid notice as I left, fearful of being identified as the source of the abominable stench that refused to dissipate in such a small enclosed space.  To this day I feel guilty for what must have confronted the next visitor to those facilities. 

I swore I would never again touch one of those abominations. 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, DavidNeitz9 said:

Anyone know if Ed Morris or Declan Keilty played today ?

Both played. Keilty was asked to more of a floating role tonight, given we had 2 other ruckmen playing. Spencer spent a bit more time up forward than I expected, King was fairly competitive in the centre too. Ed Morris also played and was serviceable. I thought Wilson played quite well, and good to see the 2 first gamers in Glen and Collis get involved.

1 hour ago, hells bells said:

Mitch King did a couple of things in the last few minutes that were very funny.  Think Spencer dropping the ball while kicking for goal funny.

He took a guy on on the boundary line, tried to bounce his way to glory, and it didnt end well!

I thought Dawes work rate was outstanding tonight,  he demanded the ball in his area, which may have been partly why Weed and Hulett were a bit quieter as they weren't the primary focus. He was able numerous times to take the ball at his ankles from a poor pass and either dish off to a teammate to advantage or clear a path for them. I'd probably lean on him being selected next week for the Port game.
Tim Smith as the other outstanding forward on the night, again his ability to get to lots of contests, tackle strongly and clunk a few monster marks was superb.

The game was as has been mentioned, a very scrappy, highly contested and congested affair, so keeping track of some of the possessions in tight can be difficult, if you've ever been to a night game at Casey Fields, the visibility across the park is terrible, the lights just aren't strong enough. So I wasn't aware just how many Grimes and Salem had racked up. VDB gave away quite a few free from over-eagerness tonight, and was as expected heavily rotated. He'll no doubt ramp up game time next week at Casey.

Mitch White the pick of the defenders tonight, his physicality and ability to play as a high sweeper was great. Terlich also ably assisted him as well as getting forward for a couple of shots at goal.

Good to see Goodwin, McCartney, Matt Jones, Brayshaw, Harmes, Dunn etc there in the huddles too

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

Once. 

I got halfway home when I was forced to make an emergence stop at the Karingal Hub.  There followed an excruciating five minutes (which felt like a few hours) dashing around looking for the loo.  I made it, if just barely.  It was explosive.  The smell was like something the Germans used to clear trenches in WW1.  I felt violated when it was over, and tried to avoid notice as I left, fearful of being identified as the source of the abominable stench that refused to dissipate in such a small enclosed space.  To this day I feel guilty for what must have confronted the next visitor to those facilities. 

LOFL

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

Once. 

I'm sure you've told this same story before Ralph.  Wasn't it last year, on this forum?  Is there an expiry date on this story of yours?  I am sure the ladies on the BBQ at Casey who do a great job would love to hear from you directly rather than being smeared repeatedly over the internet.

Or should I recount every egg and bacon roll I have ever had at Casey with no such consequence, as a counter balance?  It could get very tedious. Much like this story of yours.

How does anyone know that what particular item they ate has caused a specific gut reaction, without stool samples and kitchen investigation?  I'd like to know those results before I accept the validity of your accusations.  Until then, I welcome your abstinence from the queue at the Casey BBQ.

Edited by bjDee
  • Like 1

Just now, bjDee said:

I'm sure you've told this same story before Ralph.  Wasn't it last year, on this forum?  Is there an expiry date on this story of yours?  I am sure the ladies on the BBQ at Casey who do a great job would love to hear from you directly rather than being smeared repeatedly over the internet.

Or should I recount every egg and bacon roll I have ever had at Casey with no such consequence, as a counter balance?  It could get very tedious. Much like this story of yours.

How does anyone know that what particular item they ate has caused a specific gut reaction, without stool samples and kitchen investigation?  I'd like to know those results before I accept the validity of your accusations.  Until then, I welcome your abstinence from the queue at the Casey BBQ.

I've never seen an egg and bacon roll defended with such passion before.  It's okay, they don't have feelings.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, bjDee said:

Whilst Ralph's exegesis of the legendary e & b rolls at CaseybFieods is in itself the stuff of legends, my experience of said e & b rolls has been nothing short of exemplary.

Where do they get that bacon that is just so goddamned tasty - neither Coles nor Woolworths have it.........?

• Like 1

Just now, RalphiusMaximus said:

Once. 

This was so beautifully written that I almost felt like I was there for a moment helping you find that toilet.

4 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I've never seen an egg and bacon roll defended with such passion before.  It's okay, they don't have feelings.

True, but the providers of the meal had feelings.  The cooks had feelings.  And the chicken - that was dedicated.  And the pig - that was committed!

• Like 1