Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes v Gold Coast

P-man

5 hours ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

Matt Jones not playing at Casey so you can count him out. Brayshaw KOd with a ball to the head from close range so no chance to play. Based on first half in very blustery conditions oliver and garland a good chance. Trengove gets it but still slow on the execution to be ready. ANB, white and others serviceable without starring but hard to tell as a lot of play other side of ground and in close. Michie playing off half back has been very good but wouldnt expect him to come in. 

I'm getting worried by Gus and all these concussions. He's had three now hasn't he? Isn't five when they begin to recommend retirement?

Match ups will be the key.  Ablett wont be to keen to see Viney line up next to him as last time they met Viney put him out for a year!  So not worried about Gazza.

The other is Lynch.  Dont know we have a match up on our list for him.  Certainly noone showing any form.  

Would expect Hunt and maybe Harmes to be rested.

Also game is at Metricon...hope the coaches are 'educating themselves' (as Roos promised) on that venue and choose the team accordingly.

An important 8 pt game.  Big opportunity to put a game and %age between us and the bottom 9.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, nutbean said:

And if I had bought a tattslotto ticket last night I would be $4M richer today.

How on earth can anyone know what sort of game  someone who DIDN'T play in the team would've played ? He could have just as easily had a quiet week like he did two weeks ago. 

You have now gone from the realms of considered opinion to outright guessing...

(And please don't point to his VFL game - we have seen many footballers get leather poisoning at VFL and get promoted and not get a touch)

Ludicrous simplification of a point that several posters raised as a concern during the week. We had an entire team, bar Petracca, coming off a 5.5 day break. So far every team who played Sunday night or Monday has lost this round; it didn't take a genius to realise that closely monitoring player energy levels was crucial this week, and we needed a team of fresh legs yesterday. Conversely, the Saints had a 6 day break and made 3 changes to their squad.

Would Oliver alone have been a difference yesterday between winning and losing? No. Did anyone have a crystal ball that Kent and Garlett and Kennedy would be completely ineffective? Of course not. But if Demonland posters can identify the short turnaround between games as a concern for player fitness, why didn't the coaches? And if they did why were no changes made, especially when Roos conceded they didn't even choose a squad with consideration for the radically different deck (and one we're notorious losers at, no less)?

Edited by SaberFang

10 minutes ago, nutbean said:

And if I had bought a tattslotto ticket last night I would be $4M richer today.

How on earth can anyone know what sort of game  someone who DIDN'T play in the team would've played ? He could have just as easily had a quiet week like he did two weeks ago. 

You have now gone from the realms of considered opinion to outright guessing...

(And please don't point to his VFL game - we have seen many footballers get leather poisoning at VFL and get promoted and not get a touch)

I think he adds to the team and would have been a good inclusion. Whether he played better or not, when he gets the ball something seems to happen and when he doesn't get the ball he works hard to get it. I reckon that puts him ahead of a few others.

I don't buy all the fresh legs stuff others are posting though. There were a few out there who again got ahead of themselves and need to realise in this game all teams are capable of beating you if you don't play consistent football. Obviously the EFC game was not the lesson we were hoping for.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mattjm said:

we cant carry hunt, harmes and wagner in the same team. two have to go. im tipping hunt and harmes

Well, we did the previous fortnight, but I think Harmes should come out. Too many weeks of middle of the road performances. When you've got guys knocking the door down at Casey, you eventually reward their form.

• Like 1

Just now, AdamFarr said:

I'm getting worried by Gus and all these concussions. He's had three now hasn't he? Isn't five when they begin to recommend retirement?

He will now probably have a few weeks out.

Outs... Harmes, Hunt, Wagner

Ins... Oliver, Stretch, Michie

Jetta  McDonald Dunn

Salem Frost Lamumba

Michie Viney Vince

Petracca Pedersen Kent

Garlett Hogan Watts

Gawn Tyson N.Jones

Kennedy Bugg Stretch Oliver

Would love to see Weideman develop and grab the CHF spot in 2017 and beyond.

I've just watched the 1st half again. You can't be reactive to half a game and cut blokes off that considering last week we were playing finals and everybody was a superstar.

1st half- Lamumba has not made a mistake, he has done what he does, and what he was praised for when we win

Petracca has 10 at halftime on debut, will hopefully never play 2s again

wagner has competed and been good

Bugg has been one of our best

dont rule Salem out, Stef Martin was knocked into his grave and played the next week

Minimal changes for me. Hunt could go back and sharpen up, frost is either backline or out, must not have had a touch after qtr time.

Michie has earnt another go, hbf, and Trenners in

Is there a reason we're persisting with Frost as a forward when we have Hogan, Watts and Pedo with much better forward smarts? Heck, even Gawn is monstrous down there.

We're completely falling apart in defence; we need an athletic, hard-working defender back there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SaberFang said:

Is there a reason we're persisting with Frost as a forward when we have Hogan, Watts and Pedo with much better forward smarts? Heck, even Gawn is monstrous down there.

We're completely falling apart in defence; we need an athletic, hard-working defender back there.

Yeah I don't get it either. Was drafted as a replacement for Frawley dafuq we doing? 

13 minutes ago, SaberFang said:

Would Hulett be a like for like replacement for Frost? Just don't think Frost has the skill level required and doubt he ever will.

35 minutes ago, picket fence said:

OLIVER SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN OUT!! PERIOD!!

BIG FONT AND CAPITALS DOESN'T MAKE AN OPINION RIGHT (or maybe it does...what the hell do I know)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, nutbean said:

BIG FONT AND CAPITALS DOESN'T MAKE AN OPINION RIGHT (or maybe it does...what the hell do I know)

about as much as i know!!

• Like 3

Didn't see / haven't seen the game yet (away, and no access).Sounds like it will need the passing of either a few days or a few reds, or both (though if the first happens, the second will have been more than a few.

However, just wanted to say I'm looking forward to the OP of this weekly thread being something reflecting good and sustained winning, as opposed to the here-we-go-again-it's-spleen-venting-time "Fire away". What will that new and improved OP say, and what sort of sustained performance will allow it to happen?

Didn't see the game,  only going off the vfl thread, but it sounds like neal-bullen or michie could come in for harmes.

Both have have had extremely strong starts to the season in the vfl and their efforst should be rewarded after harmes had an off day.

Stretch for hunt. Hunt looks alright but had a bit of an off game and stretch has had had a few good games and deserves his chance. 

Viv michie could come in but who he would replace i am not sure

3 hours ago, rjay said:

I think he adds to the team and would have been a good inclusion. Whether he played better or not, when he gets the ball something seems to happen and when he doesn't get the ball he works hard to get it. I reckon that puts him ahead of a few others.

I don't buy all the fresh legs stuff others are posting though. There were a few out there who again got ahead of themselves and need to realise in this game all teams are capable of beating you if you don't play consistent football. Obviously the EFC game was not the lesson we were hoping for.

I would have loved Oliver in the team but I absolutely back team fitness/coaching staff on this. We had a living breathing example of what happens when you overplay youngsters with Brayshaw last season. His first half to second of the season was very different and Roos admitted he was overplayed. Now whether one week off or a week off and freshen up through the VFL is right or not I have no idea but I will back them on the Oliver decision because I just think we have the insight to query it.

i wouldn't mind seeing Hunt go out for Trengove, and him playing off half back, we lose a little run but he's a beautiful kick of the ball, a fantastic endurance hard runner and has some footy smarts, i think he could play the role Cross did last year and be a steadying influence off half back

Oliver is clearly super important as a clearance player and i'd bring him back in

and the other is Stretch, he brings effort and run! one of him or ANB needs to play this week.

Outs: Harmes Hunt and maybe Kennedy?

• Like 1

Salem looked in a bad way after his head clash with Viney (makes sense), might have a week off from concussion, Trenners has had good form so I could see him coming in. Or perhaps ANB.

Oliver will surely come in, Hunt and/or Wagner I would imagine will be ones to make way if Salem is good to go.

I would also potentially look at dropping one of Frost or Pedo and I feel we are top heavy with both in there.

Wagner has played 4 games, Hunt 3, Petracca 1 with Harmes having played 14 and if Oliver comes in he has played 4. That we could beat Pies and Tigers with so many rookies speaks volumes for the rest of the team with so much inexperience. Roos is still building and developing the list and Hunt and Wagner down back didn't have great games. We need everybody contributing and the Saints were quick and hot on their home turf and ran us ragged.

Petracca wil stay, I didn't like some of the efforts Harmes put in and due to his lack of chase I expect him to get a rest and maybe Hunt goes back. Frost stays and he would be a potential matchup on Lynch if Macca struggles.

Keep the changes to a minimum especially if Salem is sidelined.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Older demon said:

Wagner has played 4 games, Hunt 3, Petracca 1 with Harmes having played 14 and if Oliver comes in he has played 4. That we could beat Pies and Tigers with so many rookies speaks volumes for the rest of the team with so much inexperience. Roos is still building and developing the list and Hunt and Wagner down back didn't have great games. We need everybody contributing and the Saints were quick and hot on their home turf and ran us ragged.

Petracca wil stay, I didn't like some of the efforts Harmes put in and due to his lack of chase I expect him to get a rest and maybe Hunt goes back. Frost stays and he would be a potential matchup on Lynch if Macca struggles.

Hmm beating the Pies and Tiges does not look all the wonderful now.

That being the case Hunt Harmes and Wagner suggests they have been getting a ride for three weeks.

i have no confidence in any of them.

7 minutes ago, old dee said:

Hmm beating the Pies and Tiges does not look all the wonderful now.

Beating GWS looks wonderful

Edited by Petraccattack
  • Like 5

50 minutes ago, Older demon said:

Reckon we might need some foot skills to come in if Salem is out. Unless they restrict Vince's minutes in the middle and put him across half back and put Oliver into the middle. I wonder if Trenners could be an option off half back as PG suggested? I suspect it's a week or two too early, but they may decide we lack enough polish off half back.