Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Will this year be Jack Grimes Last?

Dee1987

25 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

The Game has passed him by....

Sadly, for him, that seems to be the case.  As others have alluded to, so far down the pecking order as a mid and now with Wagner and Hunt starting out pretty well with a lot more pace, and Salem and H, also as a HBF. 

9 minutes ago, Return to Glory said:

I'm trying to find a case for these players to stay other than depth. Maybe JKH if Garlett went down but he just lacks speed. Garland never came back well from major injury and Newton is not as good as ANB.

I see JKH as a winger, but as you rightly point out, he lacks speed. He's not an elite kick, he's not a ball winner at this stage, or really tough at the contest, so I'm trying to figure out what he brings to the team. 

23 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

The Game has passed him by....

I don't think it has at all. He played well under Baileys more offensive styled play but under Neelds and Roos defensive styled play he's stagnated.

Casey are apparently carrying over a lot of what the MFC are teaching and Grimes has had his fair share of the pill for the Scorps from all reports so there's every chance he could be a solid contributor if he made the seniors again.

He might choose to leave for another opportunity elsewhere or stay on as a decent reserve.

Max King will stay. Very good kick for his size, needs more muscle and stamina. Still young. I think the club sees him as a long term project. Refer to the recent thread here about the bigfooty poster who claimed to have a good chat with Goodwin.

8 minutes ago, McQueen said:

I don't think it has at all. He played well under Baileys more offensive styled play but under Neelds and Roos defensive styled play he's stagnated.

Casey are apparently carrying over a lot of what the MFC are teaching and Grimes has had his fair share of the pill for the Scorps from all reports so there's every chance he could be a solid contributor if he made the seniors again.

He might choose to leave for another opportunity elsewhere or stay on as a decent reserve.

Watching Casey the other night, it was like watching Grimes at AFL level. His disposal is just not good enough to play our new game plan or the older defensive style either.

8 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Max King will stay. Very good kick for his size, needs more muscle and stamina. Still young. I think the club sees him as a long term project. Refer to the recent thread here about the bigfooty poster who claimed to have a good chat with Goodwin.

Consider the Max at Max King's stage. Gawnie was a nowhere man.

Jack's many qualities include courage, good ability to read the play (intercept marking), and endurance.

Unfortunately, his kicking skills are limited (in comparison to others) and he is simply not quick.

The several heavy knocks he received early on in his career (where he was possibly too brave for his own good) can't have helped his development, let alone the well discussed impact of being saddled with the captaincy prematurely.

Love to see him get those 2 additional games but, on current indications, not very likely.

42 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

We now have good depth. Competition for senior spots is tough. Looking forward to seeing if guys like Grimes, Dawes, Garland, JKH, Michie, Newton and Terlich can force their way back into the main game. 

It's looking grim for every one of those guys. Especially when the FD is happy to get games into Oliver, Stretch, Frost, OMac, Hunt, Harmes and Wagner, in what were crunch games for us. (Three of these are practically best 22 already.)

And VdB, ANB, and MJones would be ahead of them in the queue as well.

Amazed how many write off players. Jetta was caste aside and now has cemented his spot.  Many here wanted Jack Trengove gone.

Jack Grimes has all the ability to play AFL and there are a few ahead of him to delist... Newton, Dawes, Terlich & JKH.

I saw two practice games v Bulldogs and Saints and Grimes was one of our best.  

Don't caste Jack Grimes aside until you have given someone who bleeds red & blue every opportunity.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

Sadly I have to disagree on this one.  He's got nice skills and works hard, but I just don't know if there's enough there to work with.  I don't like saying this because I've always been an advocate of footballers before athletes, but he's not a good enough athlete to make it.  He's not quick, he's not powerful, he's a full head shorter than me and I'm not that tall.  Look at the guys around the league who are of comparable size.  They are all quicker and stronger than him.  They have an explosive burst of pace.  He has none of that.  All he has is a good sidestep and a pretty nice mid-range kick. 

What does Caleb Daniel have athletically over him? Why can't he develop more burst speed and power, it's not like he's slow, he's just not fast for a small forward. I know the game is getting faster every year but the changes aren't that massive and Matty Stokes is just finishing (should be finished) a career as a similar player. Is Ben Kennedy really much quicker than him?

The clean and creative half forward is the role I see him in and his polish could challenge the guys like Kennedy, Kent and Harmes.

Let's see if how he goes this year once back healthy. I'm just thinking right now I'd rather have him for one last year to find out than a late round or rookie pick. 

38 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Early days, but at this stage I'd say we'd offer him for trade again and then if there's no interest we'd consider a rookie spot depending on how the list is looking for experience.

He's a great guy and hard worker, but there might be a chance he's had enough as well. Plenty of issues with his body, so I doubt he has an easy existence to play AFL.

I wouldn't mind keeping him on as a coach post career. Read the game well as a young player, that he couldn't change with it doesn't necessarily mean he's not a good footy mind.

What area do you invisage him coaching?

1 minute ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

What area do you invisage him coaching?

Some part of the development team and/or he could even be the assistant coach of the women's team. 

Goodwin steps up to head coach. Someone gets reassigned in to his job as the forwards coach. A spot opens up at the bottom of the ladder. I wouldn't mind another experienced assistant from a good team to join Goodwin's coaching panel for some fresh ideas, but at the lower level we could add another development coach.

If his bodies still good he could play out at Casey for another year or two. Much like Shannon Byrnes and Crossy I think if you've got really good people you find room to keep them.

50 minutes ago, McQueen said:

His foot skills are just not up to it 

That is crucial for the position he plays. Half back demands accuracy under pressure...

Grimes despite all his loyalty, effort and passion for the footy club is sadly a limited footballer and for us to be a consistent finals side players like that can't be anywhere near our best 22, i hope he gets another opportunity at a young developing club that needs some experience and leadership.

• Like 1

I'm not sure Jack deserves to be marked down so severely for awareness (earlier post), or foot skills (above), relative to his backline colleagues - H or TMac anyone? It might be in the totality of their respective packages that Jack falls a bit behind. Watching last night's game, for example, I think Jack and Nev are more direct competitors for a spot. As to a role if he doesn't make it back, for mine he has a bit of what GWS took Junior on for.

Regarding others mentioned on this thread, JKH does look a little bit unable to 'get into it' at Casey, from my (limited) observation pre-hammy, and (per my comment on another thread) I think Max K can/should be our Joe Daniher when (if?!) he gets the tank (as Moon also observed), and assertiveness to the Max G level. In these senses I think he could be the Pedo successor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Amazed how many write off players. Jetta was caste aside and now has cemented his spot.  Many here wanted Jack Trengove gone.

Jack Grimes has all the ability to play AFL and there are a few ahead of him to delist... Newton, Dawes, Terlich & JKH.

I saw two practice games v Bulldogs and Saints and Grimes was one of our best.  

Don't caste Jack Grimes aside until you have given someone who bleeds red & blue every opportunity.

Are you and Saty joined at the hip, because you both bring up the Jetta argument. You seem to forget that Jetta was actually delisted by the club and re-rookied.

And if Grimes was one of our best v Dogs and Saints (which he wasn't), why couldn't he get a gig for round 1?

And the old "bleeds red and blue" counts for nothing if he isn't in the best 30 players at the club.

• Like 1

I think Grimes is a free agent of some sort this year so a club can get him for zip.   We would get an AFL comp pick but it would be the lowest band...?4.

Not really fussed what we get for him.  I'm happy with the list spot and salary cap he frees up - especially as he is still on Captain salary. 

Would say the same about Dawes who is not an FA but OOC this year.  Not much trade value there.

I would guess the two would free up at least $800k in salary cap.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I think Grimes is a free agent of some sort this year so a club can get him for zip.   We would get an AFL comp pick but it would be the lowest band...?4.

Not really fussed what we get for him.  I'm happy with the list spot and salary cap he frees up - especially as he is still on Captain salary. 

Would say the same about Dawes who is not an FA but OOC this year.  Not much trade value there.

I would guess the two would free up at least $800k in salary cap.

I wouldn't be urprised if both were on front ended contracts Lucifer

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

I'm not sure Jack deserves to be marked down so severely for awareness (earlier post), or foot skills (above), relative to his backline colleagues - H or TMac anyone? It might be in the totality of their respective packages that Jack falls a bit behind. Watching last night's game, for example, I think Jack and Nev are more direct competitors for a spot. As to a role if he doesn't make it back, for mine he has a bit of what GWS took Junior on for.

Regarding others mentioned on this thread, JKH does look a little bit unable to 'get into it' at Casey, from my (limited) observation pre-hammy, and (per my comment on another thread) I think Max K can/should be our Joe Daniher when (if?!) he gets the tank (as Moon also observed), and assertiveness to the Max G level. In these senses I think he could be the Pedo successor.

What is the point of comparing the kicking ability of Grimes and McDonald?

If Bugg were to get injured or suspendd I could see Grimes being asked to play the same role as Bugg.

Having said that, if Bugg were out I'd rather someone like Petracca or Trengove come in and them ask Kennedy to play Bugg's role.  But I do see Grimes as competing directly for Bugg's role in the 22.

1 minute ago, DavidNeitz9 said:

Definately his last season, hope he finds a home for next season

Agreed, can see Richmond, Essendon and Frremantle all having some interest.

12 hours ago, olisik said:

If you go through our list, it's a struggle finding 3-4 that will need to be culled at years end. 

JKH will need to re invent himself as a small backman like Jetta to survive also I believe.

Both very tradable. Would get good currency on open market - Grimes in the 30-45 range (particularly given his leadership skills and experience), JKH in the 40-50 range given the dearth of small forwards in many clubs and their increased importance with the new interchange rules.

It is a while since we have got real currency for our end of year compulsory delistings. Great sign of increased strength IMHO.