Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

H_T

This description^ is exactly how I and many supporters felt at the G about the team and club. The erosion in confidence was significant; dare I say it damaging. One of a basket case. It could effectively undo some great work.

It has arguably cost the club $400K in membership drive according to some - and I'm inclined to agree. Not much can be done now, what's done is done.... Unless.....

They must bounce back and make a SIGNIFICANT statement this week in Hobart. Otherwise the blowtorch will be turned up fiercely on not only the players but the Goodwin-Roos handover if any pathetic displays continue. 

Starting like they did against the Bombers is a sure sign by many they are not playing for their coach. Or the coach is not doing his job. 

Last weekends result should not be a performance from a team coming off 7 wins in 2015 and an improved off season - a side on the up - particularly at Round Two.

Excuses of players feeling tired are false - a slap in the face to all in sundry - and will not be tolerated by the Board. Nor should they.

http://www.sen.com.au/news/afl/04-16/demons-must-bounce-back-or-face-insignificance-denham#5wOPDx7uaWEFWPmt.97

flamethrower_straight.jpg

May the the next 2-3 weeks be SIGNIFICANT performances and wins! Leaders need to recognise, stand up, deliver and collectively want to strive for the ultimate in football. It's not just about being competitive - it's about excelling in the competition.

• Like 9

He's having an opportunistic cheap shot at a young team after a surprise loss.

To wrap his"analysis" up in the headline "Insignificant" is simply a lazy way to catch eyeballs.

Many football commentators are resorting to sensationalism to grab attention, the crap about Hogan this week, the "season defining loss" drivel that Denham is spouting, blah,.. blah,.. blahh Its just self serving media crud from overpaid boofheads to obsessive fans who take every word spoken about their club in the media as relevant in some way to the footy team.

• Like 4

No use attacking Denham on this PaulRB. If you want to attack someone, debate my post. Ask many who left the G.

He's right.

Truth hurts.

We are regarded as insignificant. It's not just one journo.  

Getting a bit sick about the young team excuse too. You can't excuse lack of effort.

• Like 10

I listened this morning and actually rang SEN (which I never do)but didn't get on.

Denham stated that we were lucky to beat GWS     Well Geelong weren't so lucky....Collingwood were extremely lucky to beat Richmond in the last 4 secs would otherwise be sitting 0-2 and coping heaps.   If Ess get up on the weekend , which I think they will....What will that say about Port.   Yes we were terrible last weekend but we are in week 3 of a season.

The amount of crap getting said about Hogan and Cotchin this week is incredible and as Hardwick stated "It's over the top" reporting by jorno's who sit behind a desk top and have nothing to prove.   

• Like 1

10 years of crap,  Hogan criticism aside, my thoughts exactly.  We are still insignificant and will continue to prove so until we give a damn. 

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, H_T said:

This description^ is exactly how I and many supporters felt at the G about the team and club. The erosion in confidence was significant; dare I say it damaging. One of a basket case. It could effectively undo some great work.

It has arguably cost the club $400K in membership drive according to some - and I'm inclined to agree. Not much can be done now, what's done is done.... Unless.....

They must bounce back and make a SIGNIFICANT statement this week in Hobart. Otherwise the blowtorch will be turned up fiercely on not only the players but the Goodwin-Roos handover if any pathetic displays continue. 

Starting like they did against the Bombers is a sure sign by many they are not playing for their coach. Or the coach is not doing his job. 

Last weekends result should not be a performance from a team coming off 7 wins in 2015 and an improved off season - a side on the up - particularly at Round Two.

Excuses of players feeling tired are false - a slap in the face to all in sundry - and will not be tolerated by the Board. Nor should they.

http://www.sen.com.au/news/afl/04-16/demons-must-bounce-back-or-face-insignificance-denham#5wOPDx7uaWEFWPmt.97

flamethrower_straight.jpg

May the the next 2-3 weeks be SIGNIFICANT performances and wins! Leaders need to recognise, stand up, deliver and collectively want to strive for the ultimate in football. It's not just about being competitive - it's about excelling in the competition.

You comment about not playing for the coach it contrary to what the coach wants to put in place. Roos has said many times that the desire to get better needs to be owned and driven by the players. Needing the coach to get you going every week is not sustainable and should not be needed. The lack of effort rests with the players, as it should, desire is not the coaches job to create.

• Like 1

Can't stand Denham, but he's right, it was one of the most disgraceful performances i've seen from the club from bpth coaches and players

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Chris said:

You comment about not playing for the coach it contrary to what the coach wants to put in place. Roos has said many times that the desire to get better needs to be owned and driven by the players. Needing the coach to get you going every week is not sustainable and should not be needed. The lack of effort rests with the players, as it should, desire is not the coaches job to create.

Disagree regarding the coach role. The coach in part has a responsibility to help get the players mindset right. If they're not focussed on their job at the start of the game in terms of intensity, accountability and hardness it can prove costly on the scoreboard - does that entirely rest with the players?

Effort, intensity , concentration are IMO indirectly related to mindset. If they're off tap 5-10%, opposition who are up and about can take advantage and sniff this. As some Essendon players have noted in the media.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, H_T said:

No use attacking Denham on this PaulRB. If you want to attack someone, debate my post. Ask many who left the G.

He's right.

Truth hurts.

Getting a bit sick about the young team excuse too. You can't excuse lack of effort.

What I don't agree with H_T is we were not the only disappointing team in the last 2 weeks

Collingwood gets smashed by Sydney by 80 points and sneak a one point win over rich....No horrible stories in the press

Freo a couple of losses by 65 and 26 points....No one cares over here

If we are insignificant why do jornos write stories about us......According to the media Hogan was a star in the first round winning the game for us in the last quarter....The next week has a poor game and all of a sudden he doesn't care and should be dropped??????

And poor old Cotchin according to some should be stipped of the Captaincy

All this after 2 ROUNDS 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, H_T said:

Disagree regarding the coach role. The coach in part has a responsibility to help get the players mindset right. If they're not focussed on their job at the start of the game in terms of intensity, accountability and hardness it can prove costly on the scoreboard - does that entirely rest with the players?

Effort, intensity , concentration are IMO indirectly related to mindset. If they're off tap 5-10%, opposition who are up and about can take advantage and sniff this. As some Essendon players have noted in the media.

Lets disagree. I think if you rely on the coach to get the players in the right mindset then you are destined to fail. It is far more powerful and sustainable to have the players drive this themselves. Coaches pep talks etc always made me cringe and distracted me and took my mind off what I needed to do, I was far better being left alone and at most have a quiet chat with the coach if there was something specific they thought I needed to do. Horses for courses on that though. 

What is the coaches role is to ensure the players have belief in themselves and the team, without that no amount of desire will work, and with that belief then motivation as a group is far easier to gain. Everything from the players says they believe but are they all just saying the right things?

Just now, Chris said:

Lets disagree. I think if you rely on the coach to get the players in the right mindset then you are destined to fail. It is far more powerful and sustainable to have the players drive this themselves. Coaches pep talks etc always made me cringe and distracted me and took my mind off what I needed to do, I was far better being left alone and at most have a quiet chat with the coach if there was something specific they thought I needed to do. Horses for courses on that though. 

What is the coaches role is to ensure the players have belief in themselves and the team, without that no amount of desire will work, and with that belief then motivation as a group is far easier to gain. Everything from the players says they believe but are they all just saying the right things?

You don't think coaches "in part" (that I stated, which you've left out) help get the palyers mindset right in the lead up to a game? 

All coaches have a pre-address. Remember Neeld - he put 'em to sleep! 

I'd love to be a fly in the wall in front of Luke Beveridge! Or an Alastair Clarkson! - guys who footy players play for. These guys were casted from same mould as the John Northey's etc who inspired players to play to their optimum and above. 

Sure some leadership groups have their say - the mature lists etc and it can be player driven too. But do not underestimate a coaches influence in 'helping' getting the players switched on.

Please don't tell me you'd let the players sit listening to their ipods without instruction pre-game!

13 minutes ago, Bossdog said:

What I don't agree with H_T is we were not the only disappointing team in the last 2 weeks

Collingwood gets smashed by Sydney by 80 points and sneak a one point win over rich....No horrible stories in the press

Freo a couple of losses by 65 and 26 points....No one cares over here

If we are insignificant why do jornos write stories about us......According to the media Hogan was a star in the first round winning the game for us in the last quarter....The next week has a poor game and all of a sudden he doesn't care and should be dropped??????

And poor old Cotchin according to some should be stipped of the Captaincy

All this after 2 ROUNDS 

The Pies got smashed after round one for their performance. 

Leading into Round Two I believe we had the most at stake. Nearly everyone in Australia tipped the Dees bar KOD and the odd blinkered Don the Sash fan.

That's why we were regarded as the most disappointing. The team that lost to a depleted club with 12 ring ins - a team lacking in synergy and preparation.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, H_T said:

You don't think coaches "in part" (that I stated, which you've left out) help get the palyers mindset right in the lead up to a game? 

All coaches have a pre-address. Remember Neeld - he put 'em to sleep! 

I'd love to be a fly in the wall in front of Luke Beveridge! Or an Alastair Clarkson! - guys who footy players play for. These guys were casted from same mould as the John Northey's etc who inspired players to play to their optimum and above. 

Sure some leadership groups have their say - the mature lists etc and it can be player driven too. But do not underestimate a coaches influence in 'helping' getting the players switched on.

Please don't tell me you'd let the players sit listening to their ipods without instruction pre-game!

I get where you are coming from with the mindset now, yes I agree the coaches need to instruct, they need to let the players know the plan and what they need to work on (that feeds into the belief I was talking about). If that is what you refer to as mindset then I agree. I see that as different from motivating though but it does set the scene to a great degree from which the players can motivate themselves.

I have no issue with a spray from the coach every now and then, and pep talks can be the same, if players rely on them every week though then you have a real problem. 

59 minutes ago, H_T said:

He's right.

Truth hurts.

So if we'd beaten the Dons would we be regarded as "significant"? or still "insignificant"? Were we regarded as suddenly "significant" when we knocked off the CAts and Pies last year? Its all humbug for the bored masses.

These words have become meaningless when bandied around so easily and rashly. You're reacting to the noise, not seeing the forest for the trees, etc... 

The reality is we're at the start of third on-field year of a rebuild off the back of the club being in truely dire position following a decade of mismanagement and poor results. Let's not get stirred up my a media looking to further destabalise any club in order to create a "story".

Move on to next week and let the coaches and player continue to improve their performances as they have for the past two+ years.

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 1

How long is enough?

Surely by this stage we don't have excuses anymore?

Denham is exactly right, and that's why it hurts.

Legitimate demands and lines in the sand need to be made or we will keep floating around in mediocrity forever (or until we fold).

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, H_T said:

The Pies got smashed after round one for their performance. 

Leading into Round Two I believe we had the most at stake. Nearly everyone in Australia tipped the Dees bar KOD and the odd blinkered Don the Sash fan.

That's why we were regarded as the most disappointing. The team that lost to a depleted club with 12 ring ins - a team lacking in synergy and preparation.

4 Ring ins....The rest were traded for or drafted......So expectation is the thing to be judged for teams now is it?

It was very disappointing but hardly the end of the world

This season will put up a lot of unexpected results, a lot of upsets as the teams get more even.....The press will be very busy writing teams off each week and the next proclaiming top 4 finishes for the same club 7 days later

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DavidNeitz9 said:

Can't stand Denham, but he's right, it was one of the most disgraceful performances i've seen from the club from bpth coaches and players

I'm glad you weren't around in the 70's and 80's

5 minutes ago, Bossdog said:

4 Ring ins....The rest were traded for or drafted......So expectation is the thing to be judged for teams now is it?

It was very disappointing but hardly the end of the world

This season will put up a lot of unexpected results, a lot of upsets as the teams get more even.....The press will be very busy writing teams off each week and the next proclaiming top 4 finishes for the same club 7 days later

It's not the list quality, they have picked up some handy players seeing they're only needed for a year, but the fact they played with more spirit, synergy and pride for their team than a "real" team that is a massive blight against our culture.

• Like 6

I too believe it was an appalling game. Everything to play for and all the momentum of an encouraging NAB and round 1 even if only playing half a game. Essendon reserves as two of my Essendon supporting friends stated were there to be beaten. Did they get some lift from the pre game antics?

The coach needs to know how each player prepares and what it takes for them to respond. It is his job to make sure they are motivating themselves. The coach prepares game plans and tactics which should be  based on some assumptions but be able to be varied if circumstances change.

i think may have got it wrong and didnt change . As we were got back in front in the last quarter it may have been the right plan but it ultimately failed and he needs to understand that is not good enough.

I know of memberships lost for another year which would have been cemented with this win. This team needed to win on Saturday and didnt. They needed to be tired they needed to be absolutely spent after the game. I have not seen this in a Maelbourne side for years. While I am prepared to accept the inconsistency of youth, or inconsistency becaues of effort, the coach needs to recognise these and make changes. If necessary we should rest the young bodies while playing the older and more experienced bodies. Watts played with an injury and hasnt been bagged by those who usually do , He is a senior experienced player now and must perform consistently each week allowing the younger players to come in and out of the side only when ready play to their maximum even if it means missing the next week to rest and rejuvenate

I have been saying we need to use the full squad all season rather than a fixed 22 I confirmed with one of the Bomber fans last night that the baby bombers were very much a nucleus of experience with a fleet of youth who played in and out I dont know how to check that but it should be a consideration.

Oh bugger I do have other things to do I just hope for a better result this week and I dont have to go through the same torment with my North Melbourne supporting mates

• Like 3

The likes of Hawks and Swans usually have surprise early losses but that is no excuse for us because as they steamroll at the end of the season we wilt. We have to claw wins at every reasonable opportunity. And the opportunity was there last Saturday in what should have been  an easy win if we were 100% committed which would have set us up nicely for our best start in years. All the warning signs were there given identical disgraceful efforts against the Don's and Carlton last season and we heard all the right words from the club yet we cacked our pants again. There is some serious bridge building with supporters that needs to be done quickly.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, stuie said:

It's not the list quality, they have picked up some handy players seeing they're only needed for a year, but the fact they played with more spirit, synergy and pride for their team than a "real" team that is a massive blight against our culture.

What I don't get is that Geelong has a great win over the Hawks and get smashed by GWS.....a team we beat just one week before, a team that many think will be top 8.   So what does that say about Geelong?     Does it mean that they had a let down?     Does that mean they are no good?     Just 1 week later?

Ess had a big day, with the march to the G, all their past hero's present and hit the ground running.   We weren't.    We learn and get on with next week.

The papers will move on to this weeks losers and put the boot in to whoever does not play well.   

• Like 2