Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MATCH PREVIEW & TEAM SELECTION - ROUND 2, 2016

Demonland

If we play like we have over the NAB Cup and last week we should win well. We should positively ram them but we have no recent history of burying sides so I'm not sure we have the conviction to get on a roll and keep going. We tend to try and protect a lead rather than smash sides.

Please smash them.

I'd give up finishing 9th to Richmond (but only Richmond) if we could smash them.

Not asking much, just 150 points.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The team we love said:

Poor old Grimesy not even in the emergencies. 

Will be on another list or out of the game all together next year.

Not looking for an argument with anyone it's just the harsh realities of modern footy.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The team we love said:

Poor old Grimesy not even in the emergencies. 

Yeah good point, feel sorry for him but he is now a depth player and will likely only get a game due to an injury of our best 22. Sign of the times, we are becoming a decent football team and poor disposal has been his undoing.

• Like 1

Interested in seeing Lumumba now that we have  team that will run and spread.

I reckon half of his problem in past years is that he gets the ball and takes off, realises there is no-one to kick it to down field and then he doubles back running around in a circle.

With our new game plan and belief in the ball carrier he may well do some exciting things and be back to his best. 

• Like 12

14 minutes ago, dee-luded said:

goddard slow,  zaharakis is a winger, small.  merrit don't know.

We have to go in hard in this game & show the bummers what for.   Now is the time to set a new example of the physical Demons.  Just not get reported boys..

Bang them up...  set a new standard for this bruise-free Demon outfit.  And what better team to start on but the bummers.   Sticking to our game plan,  but when the opportunity to hurt them comes,,,  do it.

Exactly, play the ball, don't go looking for the cheap stuff but opportunities will arise   and we must take them. No we can't get ahead of ourselves but this game should be over by half time at the latest, we need to fine tune our physicality and hardness at the footy is readiness of North Melbourne. 

• Like 1

I'm looking for a four quarter effort. It's a cliche but we haven't done it yet this year. I'd prefer to win each quarter by a goal or two than have one eight goal quarter.

Also, I think we need to get more out of Salem. He isn't getting enough of the ball; perhaps we can unleash him on a wing for a quarter or two. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Interested in seeing Lumumba now that we have  team that will run and spread.

I reckon half of his problem in past years is that he gets the ball and takes off, realises there is no-one to kick it to down field and then he doubles back running around in a circle.

With our new game plan and belief in the ball carrier he may well do some exciting things and be back to his best. 

I agree. I also think we looked great when we had N Jones running off half-back and providing link up run in the fourth - I hope Lumumba can do this throughout the game .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, old dee said:

Sorry nutbean I made a mistake I have the smugness bit in 2016. We will win ten games it is done and dusted.

So much so that I have stopped looking at who it selected in the team because it does not matter we will win ten games no matter who we select.

You on the happy pills mate? Haha

Eeyore is dead and buried

5 hours ago, Wormburner said:

I agree, however it shows how reliant we are on Hogan to play well. Davis took him out of the match and Dons will no doubt look at how he did it very closely.

Essendon don't have a key defender though. Mitchell Brown? Their other onews is Hartley a 1st gamer and Gwilt 

Essendon will think this is one of the few games they have a chance. Expect to see Woosha's plans to stop Gawn & Viney at stoppages. They will expect us to bomb it to Hogan at every chance, and will do the same as GWS and crowd his area, trying to turn over the ball in their d50 and to get out the back of our press. 

We need to anticipate that they'll pull out all stops, legal or not, to stop our 3 most effective players and try to tie us up and make us play stupid like we did in Q2 & Q3 last week, thinking that the way to win is to exploit our marking power up forward. We could find ourselves halfway thru the third quarter within a goal of each other and wondering what the hell's going on. 

Unless we've worked out how to win the ball at stoppages without Gawn & Viney, or to lower our eyes and kick into space when going inside f50. But if we go the whole game without bothering to work out their tactics, it could be line ball.

• Like 6

On 3/31/2016 at 11:05 PM, small but forward said:

Melbourne round two team
B: Neville Jetta, Tom McDonald, Heritier Lumumba
HB: Matt Jones, Colin Garland, Christian Salem

FMD that's a quick backline. 

add in Garlett, Kent, Kennedy, Watts, Oliver, Brayshaw.. fairly quick side 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Akum said:

Essendon will think this is one of the few games they have a chance. Expect to see Woosha's plans to stop Gawn & Viney at stoppages. They will expect us to bomb it to Hogan at every chance, and will do the same as GWS and crowd his area, trying to turn over the ball in their d50 and to get out the back of our press. 

We need to anticipate that they'll pull out all stops, legal or not, to stop our 3 most effective players and try to tie us up and make us play stupid like we did in Q2 & Q3 last week, thinking that the way to win is to exploit our marking power up forward. We could find ourselves halfway thru the third quarter within a goal of each other and wondering what the hell's going on. 

Unless we've worked out how to win the ball at stoppages without Gawn & Viney, or to lower our eyes and kick into space when going inside f50. But if we go the whole game without bothering to work out their tactics, it could be line ball.

I agree re this being a game they think they could win. With all the ex players there and teh big march etc yjeu will be right up for this contest. Im hoping we will be too. I m not sure Gawn and Viney and Hogan are easy to shut down but wont be just the bummers that will try to do that this year. Hopefully we've got some plans in place..especially re hogan. 

Essendon's team isn't all that bad and they've made changes to make them better. Their forward line has some talent and their midfield will do all they can to put in one big effort. This is a danger game for sure. 

Tom McDonald gets a chance to atone for his game against Daniher last time. Daniher is very good but if Tom plays him from in front more and drags him up the ground hopefully he wins the battle.

Zaharakis and Zach Merrett are their most dangerous midfield and creative players. Zaharakis has a burst of speed that we will have to be careful of. I'd assign Jones and Viney to be aware of him at the stoppages. And Z Merrett is just pure class as a half forward/midfielder. Bugg might have to lock on to him.

I'm really hoping Lumumba can be back to something like his best and that having Salem and Vince down back with him helps him pick his moments to run in to space and take the game on. 

Up forward I think the main priority is to get Pedersen, Hogan and Watts leading and working as a team like the final quarter of last week. We need the backline and midfield using the ball well but the forwards have to work hard and smart to make sure the ball movement doesn't stall. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffen said:

add in Garlett, Kent, Kennedy, Watts, Oliver, Brayshaw.. fairly quick side 

Fairly quick side? Don't know if you noticed but GWS outside run killed us while we beat them in the contested area.

We aren't a quick side yet. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Fairly quick side? Don't know if you noticed but GWS outside run killed us while we beat them in the contested area.

We are starting to get some pace in the forward half to at least pressure and defend that way. Lumumba gives us speed at half back, although he needs to cement his spot in the team. Mainly we need to upgrade our wingmen to get a couple of guys who have that sustained speed. We'd probably love an inside midfielder with top line speed as well but they are very hard to find and the ones who do have often use it much more to run forward not defend anyway.

GWS's transition speed sure is a sight to behold though. Now we've dealt with it I won't mind watching them cut apart some other teams. Hopefully other teams can't do it to us!

10 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

All good, AF.

I reckon Frost will come good too...

So do I. Just thought he might go out based on Roosy's presser yesterday.

Vince to Goddard and Viney to Zaharakis. If we tag these guys out of the game then we will easily win by 10+ goals. Let N.Jones, Tyson and the boy Oliver clear everything in the middle. Can't ignore Joe Daniher either considering he's what won Essendon the game last year. 

Hogan will kick 5, Watts will continue his great form and Harmes will be the surprise of the week with three goals and 15-20 touches (and maybe a cheeky rising star nomination). 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Exactly what I was going to chime in with. We're more direct & quicker but not quick enough yet to beat a Giants flood & rebound. Was like watching tennis until the 4th.

Hoping we're a tad more tuned up going inside 50 also (Wattsie excused)

• Like 1