Training - Tuesday 9th February, 2016

Coup Cooper

2 hours ago, Earl Hood said:

This episode reminded me of a story told by Tommy Hafey not long before his passing. He was talking to us about resilience and of players who had been dumped by their clubs but resurrected their careers elsewhere. He spoke glowingly of Kevin Sheedy who came the Tigers after being told by the MFC that he wasn't up to it, this was when Norm was in charge by the way, too small and slow apparently. Anyway Sheedy showed up at Punt Road just as Tommy was trying to instill his high standards of fitness and toughness into his players. Sheedy was his best trainer and toughest man and he said he often turned the other way when Sheedy would get stuck into any player, physically who may have squibbed a tackle at training or in a match the previous week. Sounded very much like workplace bullying to me and Tommy would always claim to have not seen Sheedy roughing a team mate up, if they complained. The new toughness worked for the Tiges back then, let's hope Viney and others can make it work for us. Personally I like to see this physicality at training, we have been soft for too long. 

My worry is Gen Z are different beasts to the players of the 60's and 70's. The bullying may have to be done with a touch of empathy and with ample constructive feedback. 

Completely off topic but thanks for that Earl. I have never fully understood Sheedy's hatred of the Dees. I knew it went well beyond the missing out on the job, has been going on for what seems an eternity. Had no idea he was spurned by the club as a young player - makes sense why he was infuriated by the knock back as a coach as well. Cheers

Edit: PS might also explain the implicit instructions to go the biff on our young lads in 2000 - even when the game was well and truly over

Edited by jako13
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, jako13 said:

Completely off topic but thanks for that Earl. I have never fully understood Sheedy's hatred of the Dees. I knew it went well beyond the missing out on the job, has been going on for what seems an eternity. Had no idea he was spurned by the club as a young player - makes sense why he was infuriated by the knock back as a coach as well. Cheers

Edit: PS might also explain the implicit instructions to go the biff on our young lads in 2000 - even when the game was well and truly over

knocked back by us as coach twice i believe.   once for the return of Barassi, (already signed prior?) 1981 ?    & then we hired Bailey in 2007.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dee-luded said:

even if trenners only kicks R foot this whole season, that is fine with his kicking...   that gives his foot less loading over this next 12 months whilst it gets stronger from playing.

Fair call, dee-lauded, but one can't go into a game knowing that you can't kick at all with both feet  

7 hours ago, Karl Stefanovic said:

I also saw Tarkyn Lockyer and Anthony Rocca looking on underneath a tree. They were standing around for a good half an hour or so before Macca had quick chat to them. They seemed very interested in our forward structures. 

Do they have specific rôles at Collingwood?

7 hours ago, Outside fifty said:

Went today and took some happy snaps,

http://imgur.com/a/7VAEs

My favourite is this one.56b964951fe49_untitled-40copy.thumb.jpg.

Fantastic.  Looks a decent spring presumably from the "bad" foot.  

Can anyone comment on how well he ran?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jako13 said:

The hit on Troy Longmuir by Michael Long early is unforgivable!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Munga said:

calling it early. messed this pick up. a top 5 draft pick should at least be showing skills in preseason. have not seen one positive comment regarding olivers skill level so far. yes, hes hard at and a good size............

Yep cos you are a genius recruiter. FMD

Thank you reporters for all that great info  -  muchly appreciated.

Longy hit The Snake outside of the rules & in an idiotic manner….but for those of us who reckon that Balls was a gun, let's not get overly hypocritical about players from other clubs who "get it wrong".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Munga said:

calling it early. messed this pick up. a top 5 draft pick should at least be showing skills in preseason. have not seen one positive comment regarding olivers skill level so far. yes, hes hard at and a good size............

It's not so much that that's a ridiculous conclusion to reach at this stage; it's more that you're basing your 'call' on one line in a Demonland training report.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Munga said:

Troll?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I find it hardly surprising when the attacking team has two more players than the defenders that they can look good. I'd be disappointed if they didn't. Any idea why they practice in that way?

The reason to practice with a numbers advantage for the offence is so that the team gets a feel for how the play flows when it works. It helps them work out where to run to create the correct 'next option'. As they get better at it, you add defenders.

If you start with even numbers or a defensive advantage, they don't get the opportunity to learn the running patterns that open up the play.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Munga said:

I agree. I never thought he had shown enough to justify the high price we paid.

27 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Please expand.

He didn't play champs, so we didn't get to see him play at the highest junior level.

He dominated for about half of a season. However, my opinion (and that is all i am offering) is that his dominance was largely due to physical attributes, which i don't think will stand out at AFL level. My biggest worry was how little he showed defensively (and i confess that i have only seen a handful of his games) -- lack of urgency, not manning up, poor tackling technique (dumping a player doesn't mean much if they get a pass off).

It also worried me that Jason Taylor conceded that he hadn't seen a lot of Oliver. I believe he took a risk (and would accept that, at least privately). [edit] I am not saying the risk won't pay off, but i don't think it was needed, or warranted, given the other players available at pick 3.

Please note!! that i make no claim or pretense to drafting expertise. I do not think that "i know better" than MFCs drafting team. I am merely answering a question about my opinion.

Edited by wretched.sylph
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Magoo said:

Troll?

A subjective view of a player. wont rate a player higher just because MFC drafted him. hoping to be proven wrong but just dont see top 3 talent at this stage. observed 3 training sessions so far this pre season, (including 2 in Maroochydore) and dont see what we were witnessing from Salem, brayshaw, petracca or Kent during their first pre-seasons. A top 3 talent should look good in skills sessions. Oliver doesnt.

Edited by Munga

10 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Interesting bit of history there around Sheeds and Norm. Explains why Martian man has a bee in his bonnet about us lol.

It does go someway to explaining the obvious disdain he has had for our club over the years ....actually was surprised he even interviewed for the coaching gig after daniher left in 07 . Remember hearing something about him having a go at us on radio because he didn't put together a PowerPoint pack on his view of the world and that didn't go down too well with the selection panel  (not sure how much truth there is to that or if it's just Martians at it again!)

6 minutes ago, Delusional demon 82 said:

Don't forget Hardwick and Wallis practically assulting Brad green either. 

I am getting withdrawal symptoms coz I can't get to training coz of work,   appreciate the reports,  but can we stay on topic   I get accused of derailing threads   don't give a toss about the past or Sheedy    can somebody who was there tell me how Harmes went   spoke to coaches pre Xmas and he was one they thought could go another couple of levels

3 hours ago, Good Times Grimes said:

That incident is right up there with the worst things I've ever seen on a footy field.

That being said, how good is the Ox's retaliation, including his bodyslam of Hird?

Before that body slam he fought 3 of them off as well.  Then pretty boy Hird comes over looking to get involved and gets duly smashed by the Ox.  Love it!

• Like 3