Saturday Talking Point: The NAB Challenge

Whispering_Jack

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Practise Games on Telly. That is what it is..

repeat after me...Practise Games on Telly...

important for us?

Yes. Gameplan Goodwin Membership ..

we must treat them as a serious hit out, but rotate the list Give the entire list a taste so the coaches have at least some background. 

Eddy McGuires idea that the NAB Cup winner be given an automatic path to September is just beyond comprehension!

"Oh we can tank for 22 Weeks and rest up"

The people running this game are not well. Edward should have to stand down for thinking up such rubbish...

Spot on SWYL

• Like 1

I've been watching replays of our wins last year like clockwork over the last couple weeks. Absolutely itching to have footy back, even if it is just a spread of practice matches. Looking forward to watching some of the new recruits in action!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Make no mistake this is purely for the sponsors and to get footy back on the calendar.

Your understanding of things is very blinkered.  Kevin Sheedy back in the '80 started to arrange practice matches against other clubs when there was no preseason comp.  He wanted genuine practice, not some "dancing with your sister" experience you get in intraclub matches.

The preseason comp holds many purposes for the clubs as it does for the AFL, sponsors and fans.  It's very simple really.  If you don't like it don't watch it.  If you do you can.  Personally I love it as it gives the first indications of the season to come and a chance to see the younger players in adult company.

You need to broaden your thinking.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Your understanding of things is very blinkered.  Kevin Sheedy back in the '80 started to arrange practice matches against other clubs when there was no preseason comp.  He wanted genuine practice, not some "dancing with your sister" experience you get in intraclub matches.

The preseason comp holds many purposes for the clubs as it does for the AFL, sponsors and fans.  It's very simple really.  If you don't like it don't watch it.  If you do you can.  Personally I love it as it gives the first indications of the season to come and a chance to see the younger players in adult company.

I tend to agree with you BB however watching ain't all that easy. Two of the three games are in the scrub and it is on Foxtel only

5 minutes ago, Baghdad Bob said:

did you actually bother reading what I said before you started typing ?  probably not

Personally, I'm just itching to see us in a 'competitive' hitout against someone other than ourselves.
Last years road trip to see us beat the Dogs was a highly enjoyable experience, to hear the song again, 

figure out who all the new guys are, who's bulked up/got a new haircut/new tatoos etc etc.

I think most of us are acutely aware that these are practice games and the results are largely inconsequential

to the coaching staff. They may be more import for the marketing department as it makes it easier to sell memberships

if there is genuine optimism about what undecideds are seeing in the first kicks in anger.

I'll be going to all the games in Vic as per every other year, full of optimism and enjoying the last vestiges of summer, bring it on!

3 hours ago, beelzebub said:

What is the NAB preseason 'comp' ?

Firstly it's not even a real competition. It barely a handful of games each in a semi round robin effort. Even this isn't a complete rendition. 

Even the AFL only limp wristedly suggest it as a 'challenge'

Make no mistake this is purely for the sponsors and to get footy back on the calendar.

As to the clubs ? It's a chance for a hitout against another club(s) . It's an opportunity to test segments of gameplans, to trial players and afford them a good stretch.

This is nothing more than contorted practice footy.

Any resemblance to the real thing is coincidental.

for the benefit of those wishing to only part quote !!

For pundits like BB  you might need to distinguish between elements.  In one corner we have the ability to participate in some ( sort ) of practice games. That in and of itself does NOT require the NAB farce.  The NAB challenge is relatively ineffectual as teams play a very limited opposition and then id a convoluted ruled version of the real game.

The NAB  Challenge does for all intents only exist for the Sponsors...Im guessing thats why its the NAB challenge !!  A more realistic practice hit out could /should be arranged for any serious evaluations.

There is some exposure to other teams  but if if was a true indicator then teams would take it seriously. ......and play proper 4 quarter footy. They arent and they dont

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Practise Games on Telly. That is what it is..

repeat after me...Practise Games on Telly...

important for us?

Yes. Gameplan Goodwin Membership ..

we must treat them as a serious hit out, but rotate the list Give the entire list a taste so the coaches have at least some background. 

Eddy McGuires idea that the NAB Cup winner be given an automatic path to September is just beyond comprehension!

"Oh we can tank for 22 Weeks and rest up"

The people running this game are not well. Edward should have to stand down for thinking up such rubbish...

Agree.

A bizarre and ludicrous idea by Ed. 

• Like 1

I get a lot out of it.  But only after all 3 games.  Even Neeld's team beat Collingwood in one NAB game. 

After 12 quarters of footy against AFL quality opposition you definitely get a sense of game style and player/team improvement.  And I love watching the first and second year players. 

Unlike Whispering, I don't mind that nothing is at the end of it. 

• Like 5

I cannot wait to jump in the ute with my 7yr old little demon... Both of us wearing red 'n blue... Driving out to Elizabeth to watch us play Port!

Nothing better than being surrounded by the filth and stench of the lower class :lol:

Regardless of how we play, the smile on my Son's face will be worth the extra money I pay for water that evening for the extended shower time to remove the putridity!

Bring it on!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, KrazyJay said:

I cannot wait to jump in the ute with my 7yr old little demon... Both of us wearing red 'n blue... Driving out to Elizabeth to watch us play Port!

Nothing better than being surrounded by the filth and stench of the lower class :lol:

Regardless of how we play, the smile on my Son's face will be worth the extra money I pay for water that evening for the extended shower time to remove the putridity!

Bring it on!

don't forget the large bottle of dettol and the mortein control bomb

p.s. wear gloves and a face mask at the game. you'll feel safer

Edited by daisycutter
  • Like 1

When you are coming from the position we are the NAB cup is critical for momentum, and for players to make a statement about their year. 

Its also critical commercially to get supporters on board....

2 hours ago, KrazyJay said:

Bring it on!

You sure are Krazy Jay....

2 hours ago, ProDee said:

I get a lot out of it.  But only after all 3 games.  Even Neeld's team beat Collingwood in one NAB game. 

After 12 quarters of footy against AFL quality opposition you definitely get a sense of game style and player/team improvement.  And I love watching the first and second year players. 

Unlike Whispering, I don't mind that nothing is at the end of it. 

The fact that there's nothing at the end of it doesn't mean I won't be watching Melbourne's games - I will - but it does mean that I have little interest in the rest of the so called competition.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, KrazyJay said:

Bring it on!

Remember to avoid contact, buy at least 1 packet of Winny Blues, a sixer of Southern and do not forget to roll in the mud upon entry.

12 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

The fact that there's nothing at the end of it doesn't mean I won't be watching Melbourne's games - I will - but it does mean that I have little interest in the rest of the so called competition.

I'm the opposite Jack........I like to see what the other clubs are doing, watching their young blokes and try to get feel of how their going.

It's also just great to have the footy back in the media and on our TV's 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

I suppose it depends on whether your only interest is Melbourne or whether you're interested in the competition as a whole.  Those that take a more simplistic and "theatre going" attitude to footy will find little if any interest in the NAB series but those who think more deeply about the game will eat the series up and learn as much as they can from it.

On 2/6/2016 at 8:31 PM, Bombay Airconditioning said:

As for my first point, understanding and sticking to the game plan and your question how do we asses line/development/head coaches....I think my concern regarding the gameplan stems from reading training reports, I'm worried that we might go from one extreme to the other, from full on defence to flat out attack, our execution may not be there but the intent will or our players not understanding the gameplan and revert back to old habits. I'm judging Goodwin on the gameplan, the gameplans relevance and the players game sense and as a team have we found the balance between the two (attack and defence) and do the players understand what's required of them. Line coaches are ultimately under the direction of the head coach, I will be judging them on how our backs and forwards structure up and the midfield on how they match up, how we perform at clearances/stoppages as well as how midfield rotations are handled. Development coach/es will be judged by the individual skills improvement of our players in particular our 1-3 year players. Note I believe the coaching group as a whole has given up on some senior players and see them as purely holding the fort until our younger players are ready.

I was under the impression that Roos always intended for the first 1-2 years to be centred around defence. Once that was sorted he intended to increase of attacking capability. Does he have an attacking gameplan or does the timing of the transition year with Goodwin work in his favour. Would it of mattered if he did as our list has been so ordinary it they wouldn't have been able to execute it.

How relevant was our gameplan and the players game sense last year and how do you expect this to be different this year?

How did our backs and forwards structure up last year and how do you expect this to be different this year?

How did the midfield match up, perform at clearances/stoppages and rotate last year and how do you expect this to be different this year?