Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Round 1 Team

CHF

2 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Will Frost be ready?  Thought I heard he re-injured his toe, I hope I was just imagining that

He did, but going by the reports, seems to be in full training.

2 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

OMac at chf is an interesting call chook. He's certainly put on size and his tank is much improved. I like your thinking but IMO Pedo is more likely. Also think Petracca (if ready) would get a spot on the bench ahead of Kennedy.

Regardless, it's really pleasing to have competition for spots and decent depth.

I went for O. Mac because I doubt Dawes or Frost will be ready and he showed plenty in the last couple of games. I think the club see him as a potential key forward. Hulet is the interesting smokey - body seems ready and there's some aggression about him - depends what he shows in the NAB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Grimes? This is a serious thread?

I reckon Grimes is right in the mix.

Had a very productive last 3 games where he averaged 24 touches and kicked a goal in each game. His pre-season had been outstanding as evidenced by a great time trial and massive pump up by Roos in the player updates.

Combine that with an impressive Nab Challenge (potentially) and he'll just about be over the line.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Had a very productive last 3 games where he averaged 24 touches and kicked a goal in each game. His pre-season had been outstanding as evidenced by a great time trial and massive pump up by Roos in the player updates.

Combine that with an impressive Nab Challenge (potentially) and he'll just about be over the line.

As was overlooked by BA, my side was a prediction. I would be surprised to see Grimes left out in Round 1 on the back of the points you've made.

He isn't necessarily in my best 22, but if he can continue on from the form he showed in the latter half of the year, I have no great issue with seeing him there at the beginning of this season and trying to hold his spot.  In a very inexperienced side, he adds value.

14 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Grimes is another one whose career has been plagued with injury, full pre season and who knows, as for locks in the side, speaking to players, Roos and Goodwin have stressed there is no such thing going forward, you earn your spot and perform to keep it, there is competition for every single spot, my smokey watch Hulett if he gets a run in the NAB

Edited by Satyriconhome
Smartphone?
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Pedo is a far better contested mark than Dawes.

#pedofacts

Maybe for the 3 contests he gets to before he's spent... Be real handy having an exhausted passed out CHF who's a slightly better mark sitting on the bench for the second half without being able to sub him out...

#standardshallowanalysisbymoonie

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

What I like about all these projected MFC sides, is that good players are being left out. That is new.

Sorry 'Red', but if you look at similar posts over the last few years at this stage of the season (no games played) the opinion was pretty much the same. Look at our depth, the good players missing out, what about etc. etc.

Now I do think we are a lot closer to the mark this year but it's still too early to tell and injuries will always play their part....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Maybe for the 3 contests he gets to before he's spent... Be real handy having an exhausted passed out CHF who's a slightly better mark sitting on the bench for the second half without being able to sub him out...

#standardshallowanalysisbymoonie

#stopstalkingmestuie

• Like 3

3 hours ago, P-man said:

Quality response. Would read again.

Get back to me when your reading comprehension skills have improved.

Sorry your right, Grimes/Dawes/H? Is this a serious thread?

2 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Last year was Grimes 8th season at Melbourne, after having the captaincy taken from him so he was no longer an automatic selection, he was subsequently dropped for round 1. Came into the side round for 5 (10 touches v Freo) before being dropped for round 6. I can't be bothered going through every round as I did this exercise last year. He made his back in, got dropped again, back in before getting injured then returned for the last 3 games of the year. Let's look at those games.

Round 21 v Carlton, 25 touches for 1.1

In case anyone's forgotten it was 10 goals to 2 at half time. 

Round 22 v Freo, 22 touches for 1.0

Freo doubled our score. They blew us off the park in the first half then just coasted. Freo sowed up top spot then went on to field the reserves in round 23.

Round 23 v GWS, 24 touches for 1.0

A nothing game with both teams out of the finals race. GWS had little to no interest while we used this game to give Oscar McDonald another run, White debuted and JKH returned. 

I don't read too much into those three games for any of our players. (With the exception of some of our kids).

How many of those kicks were penetrating kicks that set us up coming out of the back half and how many were just being chipped around.

Grimes decision making seems to improve every pre season but once playing for points or under real pressure he reverts back to his old ways. He is the new Jordie, no one can fault his effort but the reality is he doesn't have the awareness/footy smarts/disposal to be a threat at AFL level. Yes some players develop later in their career but I don't think this is the case for Grimes, as I've said before players can blame Bailey and Neeld all they want for the clubs culture and lack of gameplan but not for the most fundamental basic of the game and that's kicking the footy. His ability to defend is sound but it's not enough. I don't think coaches consider him a threat when doing opposition analysis on us. Simply apply pressure and watch him butcher the ball. We need two skilled players coming off the back flanks with the potential to run through the midfield, he doesn't have the ability to do either. Tagging is also not an option as we've got blokes like Vince that can do that and damage teams going the other way. The club identified Melksham for a possible role of halfback, we also have Mitch White. I'd even try Stretch or ANB before Grimes. Our team needs to look like this 

MID FB THIRD MAN UP

MID CHB MID

MID MID MID

MID CHF THIRD TALL/MID

MID FF SF

RUCK MID MID 

MID MID MID RUCK/UTILITY

This is what Geelong and Hawthorn had/have and made/makes them so strong. We need players that can play mid or mid/back or mid/fwd. This flexibility makes teams hard to match up on and lessens the damage when a mid is injured. Their coaches didn't/don't tolerates passengers. Our coaches are slowly making the tough calls on players, last year it was Grimes and then later in the season Watts. They couldnt do it all at once due to the make up of our side.

2 hours ago, P-man said:

As was overlooked by BA, my side was a prediction. I would be surprised to see Grimes left out in Round 1 on the back of the points you've made.

He isn't necessarily in my best 22, but if he can continue on from the form he showed in the latter half of the year, I have no great issue with seeing him there at the beginning of this season and trying to hold his spot.  In a very inexperienced side, he adds value.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him left out at all, last year was a real wake up call for him. 

2 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

Grimes is another one whose career has been plagued with injury, full pre season and who knows, as for locks in the side, speaking to players, Roos and Goodwin have stressed there is no such thing going forward, you earn your spot and perform to keep it, there is competition for every single spot, my smokey watch Hulett if he gets a run in the NAB

A full pre season isn't the problem. 

Its his lack of awareness/footy smarts/skills.

Edited by Bombay Airconditioning
  • Like 2

I

12 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Sorry your right, Grimes/Dawes/H? Is this a serious thread?

Last year was Grimes 8th season at Melbourne, after having the captaincy taken from him so he was no longer an automatic selection, he was subsequently dropped for round 1. Came into the side round for 5 (10 touches v Freo) before being dropped for round 6. I can't be bothered going through every round as I did this exercise last year. He made his back in, got dropped again, back in before getting injured then returned for the last 3 games of the year. Let's look at those games.

Round 21 v Carlton, 25 touches for 1.1

In case anyone's forgotten it was 10 goals to 2 at half time. 

Round 22 v Freo, 22 touches for 1.0

Freo doubled our score. They blew us off the park in the first half then just coasted. Freo sowed up top spot then went on to field the reserves in round 23.

Round 23 v GWS, 24 touches for 1.0

A nothing game with both teams out of the finals race. GWS had little to no interest while we used this game to give Oscar McDonald another run, White debuted and JKH returned. 

I don't read too much into those three games for any of our players.

How many of those kicks were penetrating kicks that set us up coming out of the back half and how many were just being chipped around.

Grimes decision making seems to improve every pre season but once playing for points or under real pressure he reverts back to his old ways. He is the new Jordie, no one can fault his effort but the reality is he doesn't have the awareness/footy smarts/disposal to be a threat at AFL level. Yes some players develop later in their career but I don't think this is the case for Grimes, as I've said before players can blame Bailey and Neeld all they want for the clubs culture and lack of gameplan but not for the most fundamental basic of the game and that's kicking the footy. His ability to defend is sound but it's not enough. I don't think coaches consider him a threat when doing opposition analysis on us. Simply apply pressure and watch him butcher the ball. We need two skilled players coming off the back flanks with the potential to run through the midfield, he doesn't have the ability to do either. Tagging is also not an option as we've got blokes like Vince that can do that and damage teams going the other way. The club identified Melksham for a possible role of halfback, we also have Mitch White. I'd even try Stretch or ANB before Grimes. Our team needs to look like this 

MID FB THIRD MAN UP

MID CHB MID

MID MID MID

MID CHF THIRD TALL/MID

MID FF SF

RUCK MID MID 

MID MID MID RUCK/UTILITY

This is what Geelong and Hawthorn had/have and made/makes them so strong. We need players that can play mid or mid/back or mid/fwd. This flexibility makes teams hard to match up on and lessens the damage when a mid is injured. Their coaches didn't/don't tolerates passengers. Our coaches are slowly making the tough calls on players, last year it was Grimes and then later in the season Watts. They couldnt do it all at once due to the make up of our side.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him left out at all, last year was a real wake up call for him. 

A full pre season isn't the problem. 

Its his lack of awareness/footy smarts/skills.

I find it interesting that when a poster dislikes a player, they can only see the mistakes that player makes but none of the good things they do.   If said player has five nice passes out of defence or provides space for someone to kick to, it goes unmentioned, but as soon as one mistake is made, all hell breaks loose.

Nev Jetta had the same things said about him a few years ago and now he is one of the first picked.

I used to feel the same about Jamie Bennell  yet when a few of my favorites made stupid mistakes I would pass it off as a one of.

Grimes is still on our list after a couple of struggling years.    So therefore I will back him in until the club says otherwise.

P.S.     I don't hold Grimes totally responsible for the Carlton and Freo losses.......You seem to.      

• Like 1

Dawes and Pedersen are not the answer and are similar players, in that both are average. One can run all day, provide lots of contests and is a poor mark. The other is a good mark in contested situations but has a poor tank and doesn't get to as many contests. I don't care which one gets pocked, makes no difference. 

2 hours ago, Bossdog said:

I

I find it interesting that when a poster dislikes a player, they can only see the mistakes that player makes but none of the good things they do.   If said player has five nice passes out of defence or provides space for someone to kick to, it goes unmentioned, but as soon as one mistake is made, all hell breaks loose.

Nev Jetta had the same things said about him a few years ago and now he is one of the first picked.

I used to feel the same about Jamie Bennell  yet when a few of my favorites made stupid mistakes I would pass it off as a one of.

Grimes is still on our list after a couple of struggling years.    So therefore I will back him in until the club says otherwise.

P.S.     I don't hold Grimes totally responsible for the Carlton and Freo losses.......You seem to.      

I did say that 

- I can't fault his effort. 

- His ability to defend is sound.

His awareness/footy smarts/skills are not up to it. If he was an elite kick you could cut him some slack and try and work in his decision making but all three are lacking. He's not afraid of the contest which is something but in today's game that's not enough for a back flanker. Having Salem on one flank doesn't mean we can cop Grimes on the other, we need elite users of the footy on both if we are to improve.

I knew someone would bring up Jetta, happens every time. He was drafted as a mid, that didn't work out. He has created a niche for himself as a small defender. He is a fierce competitor and tackler who more often than not beats his opponent and he plays on some bloody good players. His disposal is sound but he is not a go to player coming out of defense. In short his ability to defend, not his use of the footy saved his career. No one can doubt his worth to the side but if you look at my team set up in the post you responded to, in the future if we have a surplus of mids and we have a player who's defensive capabilities match those of Jetta but can use the ball better by foot he will come in for Jetta. Again giving us greater flexibility. 

I actually think during the pre season games someone else should be trialed in the back pocket. Maybe not with the view to play round 1 but just in case Jetta should get injured. Just as I think Stretch/ANB should be given a run off half back.

As for laying blame for the Carlton/Freo losses, I blame the whole team. I was simply pointing out that I wouldn't be using those games as reference point to Grimes improvement. 

Edited by Bombay Airconditioning

2 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

Dawes and Pedersen are not the answer and are similar players, in that both are average. One can run all day, provide lots of contests and is a poor mark. The other is a good mark in contested situations but has a poor tank and doesn't get to as many contests. I don't care which one gets pocked, makes no difference. 

I know it's a longshot, but how good would it be if Hulett comes in and has a Darling type debut year ?

They're the types of things that elevate a club quickly.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, ProDee said:

I know it's a longshot, but how good would it be if Hulett comes in and has a Darling type debut year ?

They're the types of things that elevate a club quickly.

Was just looking at his profile. 194cm 90kg. That would of been posted a few weeks back upon being drafted, 3 months in a professional environment with a modified diet and weights/training program he could easily put on another couple of kilos of muscle before round 1. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

A bit left field, I would have thought Ben.

With the latest Dawes injury maybe not as left as initially thought BBO. 

Pre season games becoming more important for us.  

Just now, Bombay Airconditioning said:

HULETT

You honestly think Hulett will play Round 1?  Seriously?

I want him to make it, but people are getting excited over nothing more than his size.  The kid hasn't even played in a NAB Cup match yet.  Let's just temper the expectations a touch here and let him do something before we go sticking him in a Round 1 side.

• Like 1

Here's my effort @ 21/1/16 

FB:  Garland. T Mac. Grimes

HB: Salem. Dunn Jetta

C: Brayshaw. N. Jones. Vanders

HF: Kent Pedo Vince

F: Watts. Hogan. Garlett

FOL: Gawn. Viney. Tyson

INT: Hames. JKH, Bugg, Stretch

Emerg: Petracca, Kennedy, M Jones

I'm hoping Hullet surprises a few this year and is maybe our new CHF??

Edited by Coup Cooper