Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Round 1 Team

CHF

1 minute ago, DubDee said:

Gee we are looking good injury-wise.  anyone know who is definately unavailable for round 1?

Dawes

Newton

JT

and these 3 are short termers.

great position to be in.

Petracca

Lumumba, Dunn, Vandenberg not certain/underdone

Still in good shape though, best in years

16 hours ago, Skuit said:

This is the team I want to see line up against GWS as our baseline best 22 now and into the near future.

FF       Garlett             Hogan             Watts

HF       Kent                Pedersen          Petracca

RR      Viney              Gawn              Vanders

C         Vince               Jones              Brayshaw

HB      Salem              TMac               Lumumba

FB       Jetta                 Dunn               Bugg  

INT     Tyson      Kennedy      Harmes       Oliver          

In:        Dunn   vdBurg   Brayshaw   Lumumba   Petracca

Out:     Frost   M. Jones   Garland   Grimes   OMac   Hunt   (Michie)

New:   Oliver Petracca

Notes: If Petracca is fit then he should play. Based solely on everything I’ve ever heard about the kid. If he’s bouncing around as a stand-out at training already then let GWS decide what to do with him.

Frost is a serious dilemma. Pedo offers a bit more at this stage but Frost is obviously seen as contributing to our current forward set-up. Is he a better, more dangerous prospect than Petracca up forward? Does his versatility get him a game before one of the mid/forwards? Then who comes out? Both Oliver and Harmes have impressed me more than Frost during the NAB.

The selectors have far greater headaches than I do because I suspect they will want Grimes, Garland, M. Jones and Frost in. Who comes out? Those returning from injury or less experienced: choose four of Vanders, Brayshaw, Lumumba, Harmes, Oliver, Petracca and then Pedo. Selection headache deferred for a week or two even in the event of a win.

you want to make major changes to a team that has just won 3 games in a row? 

i reckon

out Wagner, M.Jones, O'Mac

In: Lumumba Dunn, Brayshaw

17 hours ago, Skuit said:

This is the team I want to see line up against GWS as our baseline best 22 now and into the near future.

FF       Garlett             Hogan             Watts

HF       Kent                Pedersen          Petracca

RR      Viney              Gawn              Vanders

C         Vince               Jones              Brayshaw

HB      Salem              TMac               Lumumba

FB       Jetta                 Dunn               Bugg  

INT     Tyson      Kennedy      Harmes       Oliver          

In:        Dunn   vdBurg   Brayshaw   Lumumba   Petracca

Out:     Frost   M. Jones   Garland   Grimes   OMac   Hunt   (Michie)

New:   Oliver Petracca

Notes: If Petracca is fit then he should play. Based solely on everything I’ve ever heard about the kid. If he’s bouncing around as a stand-out at training already then let GWS decide what to do with him.

Frost is a serious dilemma. Pedo offers a bit more at this stage but Frost is obviously seen as contributing to our current forward set-up. Is he a better, more dangerous prospect than Petracca up forward? Does his versatility get him a game before one of the mid/forwards? Then who comes out? Both Oliver and Harmes have impressed me more than Frost during the NAB.

The selectors have far greater headaches than I do because I suspect they will want Grimes, Garland, M. Jones and Frost in. Who comes out? Those returning from injury or less experienced: choose four of Vanders, Brayshaw, Lumumba, Harmes, Oliver, Petracca and then Pedo. Selection headache deferred for a week or two even in the event of a win.

Can't see Petracca or Henrieta in. Petracca is only a kid who hasn't played footy for over 12 months. Even if he is jumping out of his skin, I can't see him being  thrown in at the top level for round 1. I suppose Lumumba is a possibility if fit because of his experience but I'm still doubtful - Garland in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Griffen said:

you want to make major changes to a team that has just won 3 games in a row? 

i reckon

out Wagner, M.Jones, O'Mac

In: Lumumba Dunn, Brayshaw

The team that won three in a row was Melbourne (and by the time we play the last win will be a NAB match two weeks in the past). Two of my changes were a part of that campaign in Vanders and Dunn. Two others you listed in your changes as well. Bench also has to be cut down.

Edited by Skuit

I know this topic is about Team Members for first game but I'm thinking that we should  be looking for our team, the participants, that play with

certain characteristics. I want three things that will say to me that this year is going to be different. Real hardness at the contest. Speed around the ground and smart play.

And I don't care who does it.

How does Petracca seem to be in almost ever round 1 team on this site when the guy hasn't played a game for us yet?

Is he really that good that he can just walk in after no football for 12 months??

I would have Trengove ahead of him, I know his been out for 2 years but at least he has actually played at AFL level. 

Edited by ILLDieADemon

7 minutes ago, ILLDieADemon said:

How does Petracca seem to be in almost ever round 1 team on this site when the guy hasn't played a game for us yet?

I'm fairly sure I'm just about the only fool who picked Petracca for round 1 (on personal preference not prediction - pretty much zero chance he'll play).

Is he really that good that he can just walk in after no football for 12 months??

I'm of course hoping the answer is yes. And every report I've read suggests so. I don't see why he can't make the same impact as Oliver did from NAB day one and Clayton is now reasonably entrenched in most people's minds. Like I said in my post, put him up forward and let GWS work out if he's ready or not. I doubt him over Frost would be the difference between a win or loss but let us dictate terms and maybe even have our own Heeney moment to ramp up early season memberships. Peeps weren't that fussed about Hogan coming straight in after a long footy lay off.

12 hours ago, Skuit said:

It is highly unlikely that Petracca will play Round One, particularly as he hasn't been named for Casey this weekend however his form since he has resumed full training has been awesome IMHO and he is destined to have an immediate impact when he is unleashed (even more so than we will see with Oliver come Round One)!

Edited by CBDees
  • Like 1

The Demons have opted to give Christian Petracca, who injured his toe playing basketball at Christmas time, a full month of solid training before having him ready to play.

A torn anterior cruciate ligament at the start of last season also factoring into the caution Melbourne will show with Petracca.

"He's training fully with the group and he's essentially recovered from the toe injury but he's only done two weeks of training coming off an ACL," Misson said.

"We want him to have at least four weeks of full training before we let him play."

From the weekly injury round-up quoting Misson a few days ago.

Sounds like maybe (and just maybe) he will play some sort of football on the weekend of Round 1.  They appear to be very conservative so could be a half in the Casey 2nds first up and slowly, slowly after that. Round 4 perhaps for an AFL debut all going well.

5 minutes ago, S_T said:

The Demons have opted to give Christian Petracca, who injured his toe playing basketball at Christmas time, a full month of solid training before having him ready to play.

A torn anterior cruciate ligament at the start of last season also factoring into the caution Melbourne will show with Petracca.

"He's training fully with the group and he's essentially recovered from the toe injury but he's only done two weeks of training coming off an ACL," Misson said.

"We want him to have at least four weeks of full training before we let him play."

From the weekly injury round-up quoting Misson a few days ago.

Sounds like maybe (and just maybe) he will play some sort of football on the weekend of Round 1.  They appear to be very conservative so could be a half in the Casey 2nds first up and slowly, slowly after that. Round 4 perhaps for an AFL debut all going well.

I hope they have a cure for leather poisoning.

• Like 1

Looking at GWS likely team.. their midfield is high on talent, but it is a small midfield. Conigio, Shiel, Greene, Scully, Kelly, Palmer....  all on the short side by modern midfielder standards.

Makes me even more comfortable with how we have drafted the last few years.  I'll be disappointed if we dont smash them at the contest, we have much bigger bodies. We will certainly beat them in the air.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Looking at GWS likely team.. their midfield is high on talent, but it is a small midfield. Conigio, Shiel, Greene, Scully, Kelly, Palmer....  all on the short side by modern midfielder standards.

Makes me even more comfortable with how we have drafted the last few years.  I'll be disappointed if we dont smash them at the contest, we have much bigger bodies. We will certainly beat them in the air.

You left out their most important midfielders in Mumford and Ward. Mumford was the difference in our 1st meeting last year. Unless Gawn can break even, the height of their midfield becomes a moot point. And aside from Kelly, I wouldn't say that the rest are not strong bodied.

• Like 3

Their midfield stomped us and we haven't grown much taller. After Mumford it was their speed and tackling intensity. We've improved on the latter but the former might shape selections. I also recall them not really needing a forward line that day if we're thinking the absence of Cameron will give us some sort of massive edge. The game to be won in the middle and hopefully Jones rocks up this time.

On 15 March 2016 at 4:05 PM, Peter Griffen said:

This might be unpopular but i am not sure Brayshaw should come straight back in, he's best 22 in my opinion but like all young players i'd like to see him build some form through Casey for a week or two, the team that's just played has won three in a row, so keeping unforced changes to a minimum would be my plan i think

On 15 March 2016 at 5:58 PM, rjay said:

If he's plays in the practice game for Casey this weekend I can guarantee you he will be in the top few on the ground.

Will that be good enough?

We don't have enough class yet to leave a player of Brayshaw's calibre out...

I think he played himself into the round 1 team today...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Nathan Jones (180cm), Jack Viney (178cm) and Dom Tyson (186cm) will probably spend the most time up against Callan Ward (186cm), Toby Greene (183cm) and Dylan Shiel (181cm). They have the edge there in terms of players likely to play 75%+ of game time in the centre.

I know we'll have some big boys in the rotation with some of Vanders, Harmes, Vince, Brayshaw and Oliver, but they can counter height wise with Steele, Kelly, Stevie J and some solid guys in Coniglio and Palmer. I doubt they'll be worried about being smashed.

4 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

We might beat them in the air but they will smash us on the outside with their pace if we don't pay much respect to them.

Their midfield is their biggest weapon led by Mumford and Ward.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 1

FB: Garland  Dunn Jetta
HB: Vince McDonald Salem 
C: M Jones Jones  Bugg
HF: Watts  Hogan Kennedy
FF: Kent  Pedersen  Garlett
Foll: Gawn  Tyson  Viney
Int: Brayshaw  Vanders Oliver Lumumba

E: Frost  Harmes  Grimes

If Vanders is a true risk them leave him out, but otherwise he has to play.

The last two spots are the hardest and I can see why they might go with Harmes and Frost. But I like Brayshaw and Vanders as defensive forwards who give us more in the midfield and then I've got room for a 7th defender in Lumumba who also provides a bit of speed on the wing and hopefully endurance, and then Matt Jones who give us outside run. He's got a lot of areas of his game to work on and show he's consistent at but at this stage after preseason games Matt Jones might be our most likely outside midfielder.

Harmes (or Grimes) ahead of Matt Jones and Frost ahead of either Vanders (inj), Oliver or Lumumba wouldn't surprise me. 

Leaving out Pedersen wouldn't shock me either but at this stage I find it unlikely. 

• Like 1

I just had look back at the highlights of our round 2 defeat against them (don't do it) and their use of speed was downright contemptuous. M. Jones, Frost, Harry and maybe even Stretch could get a decent look-in at the table.

4 minutes ago, Skuit said:

I just had look back at the highlights of our round 2 defeat against them (don't do it) and their use of speed was downright contemptuous. M. Jones, Frost, Harry and maybe even Stretch could get a decent look-in at the table.

But when we won the contested ball in the first half we were all over them. So it's a difficult one. Our defensive system this year should at least have been pushed more at training than in previous years. And I really hope our forward pressure has gone up a notch. I do expect all 4 of those guys to be in contention though. Maybe apart from Stertch. There's no way he was left at Casey due to lack of form at trainings or last year. It must be developmental and to save him for deeper in the season. I'd be staggered if we picked him for round 1 yet didn't give him a single look at a preseason game.

11 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Griffen 

Despite our expected improvement GWS are going to be hard to beat. They are chock full of talent and they're ability to win the contested ball, hunt in packs, and speed and spread are impressive. I remember feeing very depressed watching them last year. How far they had come and how far away we had to go. There is no doubt we have improved but you would expect they will be a seriously good side this year. I just hope that we can reduce our turnover count. That is going to be critical to our win/loss ratio particularly in the close ones.

• Like 2

On 13/03/2016 at 7:43 AM, Clint Bizkit said:

FB: Jetta Dunn Garland

HB: Bugg McDonald Salem

C: Harmes Viney Kennedy

HF: Watts Pedersen vandenBerg

FF: Garlett Hogan Kent

Foll: Gawn N. Jones Vince

Int: Oliver Tyson Frost M. Jones

Emer: Grimes Stretch Michie

Unavailable: Lumumba Petracca Brayshaw White JKH Trengove Dawes Spencer

Updated team:

FB: Jetta Dunn Garland

HB: Bugg McDonald Salem

C: Harmes Viney Brayshaw

HF: Watts Pedersen vandenBerg

FF: Garlett Hogan Kent

Foll: Gawn N. Jones Vince

Int: Oliver Tyson Frost Kennedy

Emer: Grimes Stretch Lumumba

I would be very disappointed if Harmes misses out.

• Like 1