Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Round 1 Team

CHF

On 23 January 2016 at 5:33 PM, Deespicable said:

BA, it's interesting your almost pathological hatred of Grimes and his disposal inefficiencies.

No mention that invariably he has been slotted on the left side of defence because we don't have many (when Salem's out make that any) left footed defenders. He gets slotted there because he is the most disciplined player and always puts the team first. This year we have brought in another left-foot defender/mid in Bugg and we have White progressing and if our coaches ever decide to send Angus down back, that's where I'd play him because he can kick it 50m either foot.

Grimes will never be a long kick, nor will he be an explosively quick runner, but he has been one of the most impressive pre-season and he can play the Crossy-style intercept role and with Melksham out and probably Lumumba initially, I'd be gobsmacked if he didn't get first shot back there in the practice games.

Go back and watch videos of the games late in the season and watch for all the kicking errors made by our players and if Grimes ends up at the top, you have to be watching with Bollywood glasses on.

Please don't confuse this with me being a huge Grimes fan. I realise he will never be a star, but we now have enough players capable of winning games on our list. We also need a handful to be trusty servants and he's one. Cut him some slack and wait and see how he goes with what we know is now a better team. The good thing is that there are six other guys battling for a couple of mid-sized defensive spots back there (Salem is a lock and if my wish happened Brayshaw would be a lock down there as well). The six are Jetta, White, Lumumba, Garland, Bugg and Terlich. JKH should also be given a crack at it as well as he ain't going to get a game as a small forward.

As I mentioned earlier I don't hate anyone on the list, it's nothing personal. However  I will refrain from commenting (negatively) about him until the preseason games commence, same goes for Watts. 

Jetta  McDonald Dunn

Bugg Frost Garland

Salem  Jones  Vince

Petracca   Pedersen  Kent

Garlett  Hogan  Brayshaw

Gawn  Tyson  Viney

I/c Stretch ANB Kennedy Harmes

Emerg. Hullet, Watts, Michie

Much discussion seems centred around the CHF position in a proposed side.

I am now of the belief it is time to move Hoges to that position as he is so competitive

and very mobile. Ideal for CHF. If Dawes is fit try him at FF as his marking is not great and others

ie Kent Watts Garlett can feed off the spillages. In 2015 it was too easy for the opp to sweep the ball

away from the HB line with Dawes in that position.

Also a smokey for the FF position this year is King ( the older )

Other than being new to the club, not sure what Kennedy has done to get an I/C gig on so many teams, has shown nothing at AFL level. Needs to earn it at Casey unless he dominates NAB cup or we have a long injury list, don't really need more short players with poor footskils.

Edited by TheoX
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, TheoX said:

Other than being new to the club, not sure what Kennedy has done to get an I/C gig on so many teams, has shown nothing at AFL level. Needs to earn it at Casey unless he dominates NAB cup or we have a long injury list, don't really need more short players with poor footskils.

Roos didn't bring him over to have him languishing at Casey.

If he is fit and doing all the right things then he gets a gig in the Round 1 side, probably off the bench.  NAB Cup form will determine that though.

On 22 January 2016 at 0:00 PM, Georgiou R.R. Martin said:

Let's have some stats to back them up. 

XzVx2Mc.png

Money per season:

Pedo:                                               Dawes:
a bag of peanuts                              $500,000 (allegedly)

This is main concern. It's not so much that Pedo is vastly better than Dawes, because as the stats show they are virtually the same. It's the difference in pay which Dawes as one of our highest paid players, should be doing a lot, lot more. Later in the season the Pedo/Hogan combo worked much better where Pedo just got out of Hogans way and only flew for the ball when it was his turn, unlike Dawes who flys for every ball and rarely takes an overhead mark.

Put the money the Dawes in Hogans bank account i say.

• Like 2

On 23 January 2016 at 8:25 PM, TheoX said:

Been talked up a lot on the training reports etc. on the MFC which tells me they are a fan of him and he will play Round 1, mark my words.

The Dawes/Pedersen debate has been going on for the better part of two years, and while Pedersen is no gun, I am yet to see a strong argument as to why Dawes deserves a game more than him, other than that he's able to bring the ball to ground (unable to hold an overhead mark). Stuie and others post about supposed "#PedoMyths" going around, yet the argument that most make is not that Pedersen is a star, rather, he offers more on the field than Dawes. From watching both of them play, I know which of the two I prefer, and I'm yet to see any proof (statistical or otherwise) that Dawes offers more than Pedersen.

It seems that what Team Gravity and Team Pedersen can agree upon is that neither of the two are likely to be part of our future success, and the sooner Weideman/Hulett/King/Frost come on, the better off the MFC will be.

• Like 3

Might not be what I want, but this is how I see round 1 starting out.

B: Neville Jetta | Lynden Dunn (vc) | Colin Garland
HB: Christian Salem | Tom McDonald | Heretier Lumumba
C: Dom Tyson | Bernie Vince | Angus Brayshaw
HF: Dean Kent | Chris Dawes | Jack Watts
F: Jeff Garlett | Jesse Hogan | Sam Frost
R: Max Gawn | Nathan Jones (c) | Jack Viney
I/C: Aaron vandenBerg | Tomas Bugg | Ben Kennedy | Jack Grimes

E: Billy Stretch | Cameron Pedersen | Alex Neal-Bullen

2 hours ago, The Song Formerly Known As said:

Been talked up a lot on the training reports etc. on the MFC which tells me they are a fan of him and he will play Round 1, mark my words.

Wonder what position they plan to play him? Went very well as an inside mid at VFL level, but he's way too small to play that role at AFL level, certainly not a small forward at this stage either. Hopefully he shows more than he did at Collingwood, which was nothing.

4 hours ago, The Song Formerly Known As said:

Money per season:

This is main concern. It's not so much that Pedo is vastly better than Dawes, because as the stats show they are virtually the same. It's the difference in pay which Dawes as one of our highest paid players, should be doing a lot, lot more. Later in the season the Pedo/Hogan combo worked much better where Pedo just got out of Hogans way and only flew for the ball when it was his turn, unlike Dawes who flys for every ball and rarely takes an overhead mark.

Put the money the Dawes in Hogans bank account i say.

Irrelevant. You sign a contract you live with it. That's how it works in sports with guaranteed money. No one complains that Angus Brayshaw was underpaid last year based on the set draftee deal.

For what it's worth Pedersen came from North on a 3 year deal and apparently for good money as Collingwood were keen on him as well. 

That deal has since expired and he'll likely now be on a 1 year deal that recognises his value as an ok mature back up player. Dawes has a year left of his 4 year contract and at the end of the year he'll probably be offered (or not offered) some kind of deal that reflects his value in the game as well.

The AFL salary cap is 10million per year with 44 players, that's 227,000 per player, given a lot of that are rookies and kids who just make basic wage the average wage for a senior player is well over 300k. If Dawes is on 500k he hasn't exaclty bled us dry.

• Like 3

On 21/1/2016 at 2:51 AM, CHF said:

It is starting to get towards the pointy end of the pre-season and it is about time we had a crack at the R1 team. We have images and reports from training and that is providing a lot of information of us to dwell on.

Some of the players are walk up starts for R1 if they stay fit.

T MacDonald at fullback

Hogan at full forward

Garlett at his feet

Gawn in the ruck

Jones in the center

Viney, Vince, Brayshaw and VDB running through the middle

CHB? could be a case of horses for courses Dunn slotted in there? Maybe Frost

Salem and Jetta HBFs?

Stretch on a wing

Watts to get a run?

Kent would have to be there abouts  as would Hames, Tyson Kennedy and Bugg

My R1 Team at the moment based upon training reports:

FB:  Garland. T Mac. Dunn

HB: Salem. Frost. Jetta

C: Vince. N. Jones. Stretch

HF: Kent. Dawes. Brayshaw

F: Watts. Hogan. Garlett

FOL: Gawn. Viney. VDB

INT: Hames. Kennedy, Tyson, Pedo.

I would be pretty happy with a team like that. Some doubts... do we need both Dunn and Frost in defence when we have Garland and T Mac there? Watts can cover down there as can Pedo. Dawes? well in the later part of last season I liked how he and Hogan complimented each other with the way they ran and moved. Dawes I would give first opportunity to but he would be under pressure to perform with Pedo right there and a couple of young guys looking at that spot as well. I would also look at Watts having a run at CHF depending on matchups.

Running through the midfield is going to be one of our strengths this year I feel with N Jones, Vince, Viney, Brayshaw, VDB, Kennedy, Tyson, Stretch and Kent and, in the team I have named, you could add Watts, Garlett, Salem, Hames and Jetta to the midfield rotations.

A long way to go to the first bounce but I do admit to having a bit more pep in my step this pre-season than in the last few. The team actually looks like it has a purpose and is working to a plan.

We may go close to making the finals this year with a bit of luck with injuries.

like your work CHF

if I may, shuffle, >

FB:  Garland. Dunn. Jetta

HB: Salem. Frost. Vince

C: Kent. Brayshaw. Tyson

HF: Watts. T Mac. Viney

F: Garlett. Hogan. Pedo

FOL: Gawn. VDB. N. Jones

INT:  Stretch, Harmes. Kennedy, Bugg

..... Dawes ?

Edited by dee-luded
  • Like 1

Backs: Alan Johnson, Danny Hughes, Greame Yeats

Half backs: Rod Grinter, Jamie Duursma, Sean White

Mids: Robert Flower, Todd Viney, Steven Stretch

Half forwards: David Williams, Earl Spalding, Ricky Jackson

Full forwards: Jim Stynes, Garry Lyon, Brian Wilson

Rucks: Steve O'Dwyer, Simon Eishold, Greg Healy,

Inter: Brett Lovett, Stephen Newport

• Like 2

Just now, _becks_ said:

I was going to complain about a lack of Allen Jakovich in that forward line until I realised it's made up of blokes who played in the 80s.

54 minutes ago, _becks_ said:

now your talkin' _becks_

thats a very solid side. 

I wouldn't mind watching & cheering that team on,  anyday.  allday.  & could I add Steve Febey, Steven Tingay, & Glenn Lovett onto the inter bench ?

1 hour ago, _becks_ said:

Halfbacks: Rod Grinter, Jamie Duursma, Sean White

Halfforwards: David Williams, Earl Spalding, Ricky Jackson

Unless you also have a time machine, that team would be terrible.

9 hours ago, The Song Formerly Known As said:

Money per season:

This is main concern.

Hands down, what a player is paid is the least of my concerns.

• Like 1