Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Round 1 Team

CHF

It is starting to get towards the pointy end of the pre-season and it is about time we had a crack at the R1 team. We have images and reports from training and that is providing a lot of information of us to dwell on.

Some of the players are walk up starts for R1 if they stay fit.

T MacDonald at fullback

Hogan at full forward

Garlett at his feet

Gawn in the ruck

Jones in the center

Viney, Vince, Brayshaw and VDB running through the middle

CHB? could be a case of horses for courses Dunn slotted in there? Maybe Frost

Salem and Jetta HBFs?

Stretch on a wing

Watts to get a run?

Kent would have to be there abouts  as would Hames, Tyson Kennedy and Bugg

My R1 Team at the moment based upon training reports:

FB:  Garland. T Mac. Dunn

HB: Salem. Frost. Jetta

C: Vince. N. Jones. Stretch

HF: Kent. Dawes. Brayshaw

F: Watts. Hogan. Garlett

FOL: Gawn. Viney. VDB

INT: Hames. Kennedy, Tyson, Pedo.

I would be pretty happy with a team like that. Some doubts... do we need both Dunn and Frost in defence when we have Garland and T Mac there? Watts can cover down there as can Pedo. Dawes? well in the later part of last season I liked how he and Hogan complimented each other with the way they ran and moved. Dawes I would give first opportunity to but he would be under pressure to perform with Pedo right there and a couple of young guys looking at that spot as well. I would also look at Watts having a run at CHF depending on matchups.

Running through the midfield is going to be one of our strengths this year I feel with N Jones, Vince, Viney, Brayshaw, VDB, Kennedy, Tyson, Stretch and Kent and, in the team I have named, you could add Watts, Garlett, Salem, Hames and Jetta to the midfield rotations.

A long way to go to the first bounce but I do admit to having a bit more pep in my step this pre-season than in the last few. The team actually looks like it has a purpose and is working to a plan.

We may go close to making the finals this year with a bit of luck with injuries.

• Like 3

I believe Petracca will still make it by Round 1

Pedo will be in for Dawes. Dawes still can't mark.

Tyson will be starting 18

Harmes will start in FP Garlett in the other

There's an interesting little exercise on BigFooty at the moment  - Posters are voting on their preferred six by line. Currently the team is looking like this (bench yet to be voted on)

B: Neville Jetta | Lynden Dunn (vc) | Colin Garland
HB: Christian Salem | Tom McDonald | Tomas Bugg
C: Dom Tyson | Bernie Vince | Angus Brayshaw
HF: Jack Watts | Cameron Pedersen | Christian Petracca
F: Jeff Garlett | Jesse Hogan | Dean Kent
R: Max Gawn | Nathan Jones (c) | Jack Viney

Personally, I think that's a pretty good side, although it lacks pace. With that in mind, my bench would probably be: vandenBerg, Stretch, Harmes, Frost. For reserves, I'd have:

Next two backmen - Lumumba (when fully fit, probably plays), White

Next two mids - Oliver, Kennedy

Next two forwards - Dawes, Neal-Bullen

Edited by Scythe

49 minutes ago, Scythe said:

There's an interesting little exercise on BigFooty at the moment  - Posters are voting on their preferred six by line. Currently the team is looking like this (bench yet to be voted on)

B: Neville Jetta | Lynden Dunn (vc) | Colin Garland
HB: Christian Salem | Tom McDonald | Tomas Bugg
C: Dom Tyson | Bernie Vince | Angus Brayshaw
HF: Jack Watts | Cameron Pedersen | Christian Petracca
F: Jeff Garlett | Jesse Hogan | Dean Kent
R: Max Gawn | Nathan Jones (c) | Jack Viney

Personally, I think that's a pretty good side, although it lacks pace. With that in mind, my bench would probably be: vandenBerg, Stretch, Harmes, Frost. For reserves, I'd have:

Next two backmen - Lumumba (when fully fit, probably plays), White

Next two mids - Oliver, Kennedy

Next two forwards - Dawes, Neal-Bullen

I could see Pedersen in for Dawes depending on form in the pre season games. What I do like is the fact that we do seem to have options. Kennedy, Bugg even Grimes, While and, from reports, Hulett is a big boy and may get a run. A lot of options. I think Petracca will need a run or two at Casey unless he burns it up in the pre season games. 

19 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

Jetta Dunne Garland

Bugg T. Mac Salem

Vanders Tyson Vince

Harmes O Mac Kent

Watts Hogan Garlett

Gawn Jones Viney

Stretch Brayshaw Kennedy Pederson

OMac at chf is an interesting call chook. He's certainly put on size and his tank is much improved. I like your thinking but IMO Pedo is more likely. Also think Petracca (if ready) would get a spot on the bench ahead of Kennedy.

Regardless, it's really pleasing to have competition for spots and decent depth.

• Like 3

These are the locks. The rest are up for grabs.

B: Neville Jetta | Lynden Dunn (vc) | Colin Garland
HB: Christian Salem | Tom McDonald | xxxxxxxxxx
C: Dom Tyson | Bernie Vince | Angus Brayshaw
HF: Dean Kent | xxxxxxxxxx | Aaron vandenBerg
F: Jeff Garlett | Jesse Hogan | xxxxxxxxxx
R: Max Gawn | Nathan Jones (c) | Jack Viney
I/C: xxxxxxxxxx | xxxxxxxxxx | xxxxxxxxxx | xxxxxxxxxx

E: xxxxxxxxxx | xxxxxxxxxx | xxxxxxxxxx

• Like 5

This is part prediction, part best side. There's little point in penning a side without Dawes and Lumumba when we know they will both be there. Reading between the lines, Petracca will come into the side via Casey.

Round 1

FB: Jetta  Dunn  Garland

HB: Salem  T.McDonald  Grimes

C: Tyson  Vince  Brayshaw

HF: Kent  Dawes  Watts

FF: Garlett  Hogan  Frost

R: Gawn  Jones  Viney

I: vandenBerg  Lumumba  Stretch  Bugg

E: Neal-Bullen  Pedersen  Kennedy

Edited by P-man

3 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

I believe Petracca will still make it by Round 1

Pedo will be in for Dawes. Dawes still can't mark.

Tyson will be starting 18

Harmes will start in FP Garlett in the other

No doubt about it Barney you are positive.

The 2nd ruck/2nd key forward is a disaster spot for us, it's likely a choice of 3, 2 of whom (Dawes and Frost) aren't in full training. You can add Max King as well. 

The preseason games will be vital in determining who gets the spot for round 1.

1 minute ago, Georgiou R.R. Martin said:

Let's have some stats to back them up. 

XzVx2Mc.png

Lolz... Yeah apart from the fact stats never tell the whole story, it's not exactly a domination is it? Oooooh watch out for those 0.2 more hitouts a game from the guy some posters try to say is a way better ruck option than Dawes....

Fact: Roos has, and will continue to, pick Dawes ahead of Pedo at every opportunity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barra17 said:

These are the locks. The rest are up for grabs.

HB: Christian Salem | Tom McDonald | xxxxxxxxxx
C: Dom Tyson | Bernie Vince | Angus Brayshaw
HF: Dean Kent | xxxxxxxxxx | Aaron vandenBerg
F: Jeff Garlett | Jesse Hogan | xxxxxxxxxx
R: Max Gawn | Nathan Jones (c) | Jack Viney
I/C: xxxxxxxxxx | xxxxxxxxxx | xxxxxxxxxx | xxxxxxxxxx

E: xxxxxxxxxx | xxxxxxxxxx | xxxxxxxxxx

only thing i'd change about this as a pedant is Jones as Centre, Vince as ruck-rover.

hoping it lines up like this:

HB: Christian Salem | Tom McDonald | Stretch
C: Dom Tyson | Nathan Jones (c) | Angus Brayshaw
HF: Dean Kent | Dawes | Aaron vandenBerg
F: Jeff Garlett | Jesse Hogan | Petracca
R: Max Gawn | Bernie Vince | Jack Viney
I/C: Oliver | Frost | Bugg | Kennedy
E: Watts | Pedersen | Neal-Bullen

Dawes / Pedersen a toss-up as to who gets first crack at CHF.

i wouldn't have Lumumba anywhere near my starting 25, let alone following double ankle surgery.

Edited by DemonAndrew

1 hour ago, P-man said:

This is part prediction, part best side. There's little point in penning a side without Dawes and Lumumba when we know they will both be there. Reading between the lines, Petracca will come into the side via Casey.

Round 1

FB: Jetta  Dunn  Garland

HB: Salem  T.McDonald  Grimes

C: Tyson  Vince  Brayshaw

HF: Kent  Dawes  Watts

FF: Garlett  Hogan  Frost

I: vandenBerg  Lumumba  Stretch  Bugg

E: Neal-Bullen  Pedersen  Kennedy

Grimes? This is a serious thread?

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

Lolz... Yeah apart from the fact stats never tell the whole story, it's not exactly a domination is it? Oooooh watch out for those 0.2 more hitouts a game from the guy some posters try to say is a way better ruck option than Dawes....

Fact: Roos has, and will continue to, pick Dawes ahead of Pedo at every opportunity.

Certainly not much between them but I wouldn't agree with your fact there. Pedersen was initially overlooked for both Frost and Dawes last year, but he got injured at the exact moment he was making his case for being the best of the bunch. Besides lack of talent the biggest issue with settling this debate is that they've rarely been fit at the same time. 

If he is fit I think the coaches will again pick Frost as the 2nd ruck and welcome the speed he can provide around the ground and as a defensive forward. I'm not sure if there will be room for a 2nd tall forward or if they'll pick Watts or Petracca as alternative marking targets.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Georgiou R.R. Martin said:

Certainly not much between them but I wouldn't agree with your fact there. Pedersen was initially overlooked for both Frost and Dawes last year, but he got injured at the exact moment he was making his case for being the best of the bunch. Besides lack of talent the biggest issue with settling this debate is that they've rarely been fit at the same time. 

If he is fit I think the coaches will again pick Frost as the 2nd ruck and welcome the speed he can provide around the ground and as a defensive forward. I'm not sure if there will be room for a 2nd tall forward or if they'll pick Watts or Petracca as alternative marking targets.

Good points RE:Frost. I see him being a backman, but it's all speculative til they lineup hey?

I just see Pedersen struggling with the changes to the interchange rules this year. Dawes has a much better tank, and I see that giving him the edge over the older and less fit Pedo. If Frost does happen to play forward, I can easily see him moving above both of those guys in the pecking order though.

1 hour ago, P-man said:

FB: Jetta  T.Mac  Dunn 

HB: Salem  Frost  White 

C: Vince  Tyson  Brayshaw

HF: Kent  Pedo  VDB 

FF: Garlett  Hogan  Petracca 

I: Trengove  Stretch  Watts  Bugg 

E: Neal-Bullen  Garland  Kennedy

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

Good points RE:Frost. I see him being a backman, but it's all speculative til they lineup hey?

I just see Pedersen struggling with the changes to the interchange rules this year. Dawes has a much better tank, and I see that giving him the edge over the older and less fit Pedo. If Frost does happen to play forward, I can easily see him moving above both of those guys in the pecking order though.

Long term I see Frost as a backman as well but I understand why they want a 2nd ruck who has the physical gifts to compete (ie. height and a leap) that Dawes and Pedersen just don't have.

Obviously positions aren't fixed these days and there's a lot of moving around but the other factor in Pedo v Dawes is how they combine with Hogan. Dawes is better using his tank playing more in the CHF role, which in turn leaves Hogan close to goal where he can hit the scoreboard - presuming the ball gets to him. Pedo is more likely to take a grab one on one inside 50 than Dawes, but will blow up if up the ground, which means Hogan has to do more of the up the ground work, which suits his game but also takes him away from goal. Late in the season when Hogan was tiring I wanted him close to goal, but early in the season last year he was playing great games getting up and down the ground and having Pedersen meant we still had a chance for the inside 50 kick.