Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Matt Jones & Dean Terlich

Bring-Back-Powell

I think it's fair to say that on exposed form, these 2 are the worst two players at the MFC, and are very lucky to be on the list.

Having said, they're still eligible for games next year (before our rookies) and the balls in their court to warrant selection.

What are your expectations of these 2 for next year and is there a place in the side for either, if they're in form and warranting selection?

I think you raise a fair point . I do not write them off as many do . Terlich is a fearless attacking defender who marks well. He is not afraid to run with the ball and has pace. He makes kicking errors. I think he was B o G in a SANFL GF

jones may find it harder to get a game as an on baller playing a defensive role on the forward line as he did several times this year. Again, he is prone to kicking errors. But he never throws in the towel and gives it his absolute best shot. I  do think Terlich has more natural ability

to suggest that these two are hopeless is inane nonsense. They are very useful  backups in a young squad

• Like 6

Farmer is spot on - we are all well aware of the limitations of the two players mentioned.

Jones has pace/tenacity but butchers the ball.

Terlich has courage and marking ability but also butchers the ball.

Having said that, I do not think we can fault their commitment to the cause.

Hopefully our medical team will be able to ensure that we do not need to call upon their services.

• Like 1

Not much good can really come from this thread. You don't want to be disrespectful to guys who have worn the jumper, but clearly if these two are getting games next season, things aren't entirely going to plan. It's safe to say we've seen the best of them. Jones is now 28.

It is in all likelihood their last season.

• Like 6

I think Jones will play a few games, but I doubt that he'll be on the list in 2017. While his kicking isn't great, what I do like about him is his pace, which is something that we have struggled with in recent times. 

Roos seemed to make his intentions with Terlich pretty clear in 2015; I doubt he'll get a game. I liked that he showed desire and competitiveness a few years ago when we needed it most, but the fact of the matter is that he just doesn't have the ability. 

5 hours ago, olisik said:

Add JKH to the list

JKH is a victim of his own success. He impressed in his first season, but suffered from the second year blues in 2015. Because of his early performances, some posters seem to forget that he is only 20, was selected late in the draft, has already played 22 games despite his size, and struggled a bit with injury and being the sub this past season. He broke into the team for our last match of the season, and showed glimpses of what he's capable of. On top of all that, he's contracted until the end of 2017. 

I would say that he has exceeded expectations so far. Give him a break.

• Like 8

Agree P-man. 

If these two are getting regular games then either their disposa has risen 100% over what it was or more likely we have lots of injuries or our recruits have not turned out to be any good.

But, if these guys are playing then I'm tipping our season isn't going to well.

I think right at this moment these two and probably Michie are on their last legs as AFL players and know it, having said that it's a great sign on where the club is at, 3 seasons ago they were third and fourth in our best and fairest... now they're probably the last two on the list..

• Like 5

both go hard but its not that they have average kicking skills.  they are both very poor kicking the footy and making decisions.  you need to be at least ok in these areas to make it at AFL level so theyll both be delisted at the end of the year.  Matt Jones in particular certainly helped out our midfield during possibly our darkest days and I thank him for his efforts

put it this way, if these two guys get contracts, who are the 3-4 guys we delist at the end of the season?

Matt Jones has had enough chances over the past two seasons, and probably hasn't grabbed them. He will most likely struggle for games in 2016, as he is only really depth behind younger players.

Terlich is an interesting one. Jetta is a decent lock down defender (most of the time), but does next to nothing with ball in hand. Terlich is much more attacking and creative, but is probably less effective defensively. The difference between them is not as great as some around here make out, although Roos has clearly made his mind up. I wouldn't mind seeing Terlich playing on a wing.

Ultimately neither should have received a multiple year contract if the coach has no intention of playing them. Our list management has been poor for years, and these decisions are as bad as any (again, if the coach won't play them).

I don't mind Jones, not the most skilled player on the list but he certainly gives his all (Geelong game as an example).

A last resort pick for sure, but we've had worse.

As for Terlich: lucky bugger's played at the highest level, which is more than I have!

• Like 1

You would think 2016 is the final season at the MFC for both Jones and Terlich. They both have a dip but skill execution lets them down and this day in the AFL you wont last long in the system long. Jones couldn't hold a tackle to save himself was so frustrating to watch everytime he tackled.

5 hours ago, Dee Dee said:

I don't mind Jones, not the most skilled player on the list but he certainly gives his all (Geelong game as an example).

A last resort pick for sure, but we've had worse.

As for Terlich: lucky bugger's played at the highest level, which is more than I have!

Jones kicked a couple and kept Enright quiet in his 300th. More of that and he can retain a spot on the list.

• Like 1

When Jones and Terlch joined us we welcomed their attack on the ball and overlooked their skill levels (partly because the rest of the list was similarly deficient in that area)! They both featured in the B&F when they started with us and they still put in (to the limit of their abilities) at Casey. Whilst their time has past on our AFL  list (even as depth players), it would be nice however to retain them on the Casey list and see them rewarded with a Premiership, albeit a VFL one. Ironically, VFL Premierships are all MFC can boast (1/2 a Century ago)!

Edited by CBDees

5 minutes ago, Curry & Beer said:

I have it on good authority that one of these players doesn't rate the culture Roos has/is building and wants out. One would assume that is a spiteful reaction to not getting games. One would also assume that there weren't any other clubs willing to take him.

Are you talking about one of Jones or Terlich or someone else.

While i have enjoyed the work of Mahoney and the list management it was absolutely staggering that both Terlich and Jones were given 2 year contracts when most on here could see where their career was heading.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Are you talking about one of Jones or Terlich or someone else.

While i have enjoyed the work of Mahoney and the list management it was absolutely staggering that both Terlich and Jones were given 2 year contracts when most on here could see where their career was heading.

yeah one of those two

[censored] effort by the players if true Curry.. if that was the case i wish they could man up and tell it how it is to Roosy's face so we could have delisted him and open up another spot for Rookie/mature age or keep Michie on the main list.

2 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

[censored] effort by the players if true Curry.. if that was the case i wish they could man up and tell it how it is to Roosy's face so we could have delisted him and open up another spot for Rookie/mature age or keep Michie on the main list.

i'm only referring to one of them

but if you were in his spot you wouldn't do that, a better player might do and find a home elsewhere... but for this guy,  if you did, you'd be delisted of course, and nobody else would pick you up... Now you're playing ammos! He's lucky to have been retained which gives him another chance to break into the side and keep the AFL thing alive.. even though it is very hard to see him getting any better at this point.  As I said, his comments about the club's direction are just a bitter reaction.. and he does have a bit of a case considering the chances he's been (not) given.

5 hours ago, Curry & Beer said:

but if you were in his spot you wouldn't do that, a better player might do and find a home elsewhere... but for this guy,  if you did, you'd be delisted of course, and nobody else would pick you up... Now you're playing ammos! He's lucky to have been retained which gives him another chance to break into the side and keep the AFL thing alive.. even though it is very hard to see him getting any better at this point.  As I said, his comments about the club's direction are just a bitter reaction.. and he does have a bit of a case considering the chances he's been (not) given.

Not leaving much mystery as to which of the two players it is, C&B!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Curry & Beer said:

but if you were in his spot you wouldn't do that, a better player might do and find a home elsewhere... but for this guy,  if you did, you'd be delisted of course, and nobody else would pick you up... Now you're playing ammos!

probably could head to SKOBS with a few other melbourne players and get paid something ridiculous for a job in construction, because obviously players don't get paid in the ammos.

21 hours ago, poita said:

Terlich is an interesting one. Jetta is a decent lock down defender (most of the time), but does next to nothing with ball in hand. Terlich is much more attacking and creative, but is probably less effective defensively. The difference between them is not as great as some around here make out, although Roos has clearly made his mind up.

Is Terlich a mate of yours? Jetta is our best small defender by leaps and bounds and Terlich will never play another game for Melbourne. The suggestion that the gap is close is ridiculous, whilst Jetta doesnt provide much run out of the backline his disposal is more often than not effective and has been looking to address this. Jetta or Terlich on any of the small forward in the AFL i know who i would choose. 1 v 1 pound for pound Jetta is almost our best defender.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Curry & Beer said:

I have it on good authority that one of these players doesn't rate the culture Roos has/is building and wants out. One would assume that is a spiteful reaction to not getting games. One would also assume that there weren't any other clubs willing to take him.

Terlich was let go by Roos at the Swans and didn't get a game with us last year. Not surprising that he wouldn't be a great fan of the Coach, if it is him.

I watched him lose the Casey final this year in 5 minutes, with 3 blatant miskicks to Bomber players, that resulted in soft goals, killing the final.

Players like that have no place in an AFL team today.

• Like 2

Terlich wins the footy on the halfback flank, but is a pure turnover merchant and has average defensive kills.
I'm not surprised he bears a grudge for not getting games after being handed a false sense of competence with a top 5 B&F finish.
I also won't be surprised when he is unceremoniously de-listed at season's end.