Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MFC 2016 Membership - Record Broken. Next stop: 40,000

Lucifers Hero

I will take out a life subscription to  Demonland and add 5 more to the tally in a fortnight when I return from Vietnam. 

GO DEES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

Still climbing:  25,497 last Friday, 25,856 today!

The closest comparison to last year that I can find is 23,572 on Dec 27 which is still a week away.  Would have to assume a lot of the extra 2,000+ members to date are newbies rather than members who have renewed earlier. 

On 12/6/2015 at 1:51 PM, Lucifer's Hero said:

I make the extra revenue to be $900k to $1m!

Increased revenue will help pay for the much needed increase in football department spend, which has been Jackson's # 1 spending priority (rightly so).  He recognises that better player facilities, development and welfare support are a critical part of keeping and attracting good players...little steps but we are getting there...the building blocks are almost all in place.

...as always win a few more games (especially early in the season) and things get a lot better a lot faster.

I'm not sure where you $900k to $1m figure comes from (and I'm not disputing it) but memberships gives the club much more than just money. It also provides contact details to direct market for the Demon Shop, to promote attendance at games and to push sponsors' products, too. Additional members surely makes sponsorship more attractive and therefore more valuable, to the club.

8 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I'm not sure where you $900k to $1m figure comes from (and I'm not disputing it) but memberships gives the club much more than just money. It also provides contact details to direct market for the Demon Shop, to promote attendance at games and to push sponsors' products, too. Additional members surely makes sponsorship more attractive and therefore more valuable, to the club.

The $900k to $1m was in response to a question by 'Its Time' as to how much the extra 5,000 memberships (if we reach 40,000) next year are worth.  I guessed the average would be around $180 to $200 per membership.  I think his question related to additional Membership Revenue.

Yes, when merchandising, crowd size, future flow onto to better fixturing, sponsors etc etc are added it means much, much more to the club but I don't know what the multiplier is to calculate the dollar value.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

The $900k to $1m was in response to a question by 'Its Time' as to how much the extra 5,000 memberships (if we reach 40,000) next year are worth.  I guessed the average would be around $180 to $200 per membership.  I think his question related to additional Membership Revenue.

Yes, when merchandising, crowd size, future flow onto to better fixturing, sponsors etc etc are added it means much, much more to the club but I don't know what the multiplier is to calculate the dollar value.

i wouldn't be surprised either that as the membership no. increases the average spend decreases

simply because the big ticket menberships would be the long term regulars. also as the numbers get higher and the cutoff date closer they start marketing the low value memberships more

On 12/17/2015 at 3:47 PM, Lucifer's Hero said:

PJ mentioned at the AGM that membership revenue went up $500k this year. It would be very interesting to know how this happened as there was a very minor increase in the total no. of memberships from last year. There must have been more higher value memberships than the year before. So if that is correct and it continues this year the opposite might happen to your prediction.

So around 2,300 ahead of same time last year. We only needed just under an extra 5000 to crack 40,000.  At this rate it should happen.

22-12-15    26,217

18-12-14    23,572

27-12-13    23,542

Edited by It's Time

If you've got any stickers left over, back of Collingwood friends cars normally gets a great reaction. 

• Like 2

I can tell you that there will be a few like me who have yet to sign up, or rather have had their auto renewal cancelled. I was expecting my membership to come as I signed on as a Dedicated Demon so I wouldn't have to go through the process ofrenewal each yer. I was therefore surprised when my membership did not arrive on time. However, after I rang the club, I learned that as I buy and MCC/MFC membership and hav yet to pay my MCC subs/renewal, the MCC has informed the MFC not to allow the sale of any affiliate memberships until the MCC membership has been paid up. They reckon that some people were not paying their MCC bu still buying MFC/MCC memberships (why on earth they would bother doing that I have no idea).

I usully do not go to the cricket so I always pay by MCC at Round 1 of each year. I will do the same this year.

I would like to thank Santa who has left me a membership under the Christmas tree.It feels a little eclectic being a Buddhist receiving a gift on a Christian holiday to go see Demons.

Edited by Emerald
spelling mistake
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Emerald said:

I would like to thank Santa who has left me a membership under the Christmas tree.It feels a little electic being a Buddhist receiving a gift on a Christian holiday to go see Demons.

Think of it as Saturnalia... Been around longer.

• 3 weeks later...

Pre Christmas we were tracking about 2,500 ahead of the equivalent last year, so were on track for around 40,000 but memberships have stalled a fair bit since then. Fingers still crossed for the pre Christmas momentum to return. It is probably spiked by the automatic renewals which finish by then. 

18th Jan, 2012 - 21,927

21st Jan, 2013 - 21,873

21st Jan 2014 - 24, 558

23 Jan 2015    - 25,112

19 Jan 2016    - 27,027

1 hour ago, Hellfish said:

Why?

When all clubs report their yearly membership numbers there should be two numbers. 

1st - 11 game memberships and over 

2nd - 11 game memberships and over, interstate packages, 3 games memberships, pet memberships....

That way you get a true indication of where clubs are at. 

Edited by Bombay Airconditioning

2 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

When all clubs report their yearly membership numbers there should be two numbers. 

1st - 11 game memberships and over 

2nd - 11 game memberships and over, interstate packages, 3 games memberships, pet memberships....

That way you get a true indication of where clubs are at. 

Hmmm, as a passionate far North Qld member I am somewhat miffed B.A being lumped into the also-ran category with 3 game and pet memberships (no offence to our family labrador is intended)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, fndee said:

Hmmm, as a passionate far North Qld member I am somewhat miffed B.A being lumped into the also-ran category with 3 game and pet memberships (no offence to our family labrador is intended)

I'm not knocking any type of memberships (all memberships help their club), my comments are more directed at the power clubs like Hawthorn and Collingwood (but I'd like to see it will all clubs) with their announcements that they've reached 70 thousand or 80 thousand members. I would be interested to know the breakdown of those numbers. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...