Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2016 is a big year for ...

old55

Not sure why they don't use Grimes in a lock down role and free up Bernie. Grimes is super fit and can defend. Could be a Crowley...

Love his commitment, its just his disposal tthat has to be fixed..

Good call on Grimes playing that role.

I feel he makes too many mistakes from a skill perspective that seem to always result in turnovers but he's such a great reader of the play from that half back line.

Grimes has been in the system for 8 years and there are still question marks over his disposal, tagger should no longer be considered the default position for someone who can't cut it anywhere else on the ground. Over the past two seasons under Roos Jones/Vince/Viney have all been given run with roles at some stage but whilst none of them have elite disposal they can cause damage when they win the footy.

names don't make great footy lists GTG. great footballers make those lists great

currently we have a list full of names of potential. the big p

these boys have to learn, & then show they can cut it; then they have to show how far they can go in their games.

the list doesn't maketh the man.

Funny Deluded you can find an oversized P, but can't find the shift button to use a capital letter to start a sentence?

Edited by dee-tox
  • Like 2

Grimes has been in the system for 8 years and there are still question marks over his disposal, tagger should no longer be considered the default position for someone who can't cut it anywhere else on the ground. Over the past two seasons under Roos Jones/Vince/Viney have all been given run with roles at some stage but whilst none of them have elite disposal they can cause damage when they win the footy.

So what are you saying then? Give him a shot?

• Like 1

We don't need or want another Crowley. Even when playing Gold Coast, Viney is the one who gets the job on Ablett in a run with, with the intention of winning his own ball. Pure taggers are a dying breed.

Halfback is Grimes' best position. Slowly but surely I can see him returning to the player he was at the beginning of his career. But it remains a very big season for him. One that will determine if his career will continue on steadily or peter out.

We don't need or want another Crowley. Even when playing Gold Coast, Viney is the one who gets the job on Ablett in a run with, with the intention of winning his own ball. Pure taggers are a dying breed.

Halfback is Grimes' best position. Slowly but surely I can see him returning to the player he was at the beginning of his career. But it remains a very big season for him. One that will determine if his career will continue on steadily or peter out.

The captaincy, injuries and too many games (and trainings) without fixing the flaws developing in his game meant he needed a total rebuild last year.

Step 1: Fixing his body

Step 2: Getting him comfortable with a reliable kicking technique that has more penetration

Step 3: Rebuilding his physicality in regards to tackling and one on one defending

He made inroads in all 3 last year and can keep doing so this year.

Step 4: Greater awareness and ability to get out of pressure, counter attacking and handballing to advantage is the one I'm not sure about. Even when he came back in to the side he was a momentum killer with his decision making.

The captaincy, injuries and too many games (and trainings) without fixing the flaws developing in his game meant he needed a total rebuild last year.

Step 1: Fixing his body

Step 2: Getting him comfortable with a reliable kicking technique that has more penetration

Step 3: Rebuilding his physicality in regards to tackling and one on one defending

He made inroads in all 3 last year and can keep doing so this year.

Step 4: Greater awareness and ability to get out of pressure, counter attacking and handballing to advantage is the one I'm not sure about. Even when he came back in to the side he was a momentum killer with his decision making.

The captaincy that he could of relinquished when Trengove did but chose to cling on thinking it will guarantee him a game, only to have it stripped from him 12 months later and subsequently dropped for round 1.

As much as Bailey and Neeld weren't in the same class as a Clarko they weren't totally without a clue. Many on here blame under development for a number of players failing to come on as was initially hoped when they were drafted. Watts has put that theory to bed, Watts was drafted in 08 the year after Grimes, they both have been subject to supposed incompetent coaches/assistants/skills coaches yet Watts would be in the top 2-3 players at the club for disposal/footy smarts. Successful clubs don't draft players that can't kick the footy unless it's for a key position defender or ruckman. 12 months under McCartney (regarded by many as one of the best teachers) and he still can't kick.

No more excuses, 8 years on an AFL list and still can't kick a footy, still puts his teammates under the pump.

How much money is the Grimes/Watts/Dawes combo sucking out of our cap each year.

Paul Roos.. I know he has gutted the list and given the club a face!

But you know what makes a good culture?

WINNING!!

We won 7 games.. Could of been 10 (saints bombers Carlton losses)

Throw them in plus 4 more on general improvement.. That's 14 & finals!!

The captaincy that he could of relinquished when Trengove did but chose to cling on thinking it will guarantee him a game, only to have it stripped from him 12 months later and subsequently dropped for round 1.

He was hardly clinging to the captaincy. What a load of rot. He played 15 games in 2013, the only ones he missed were after breaking his collarbone against the Blues.

And the clubs players and coaches voted him as one of the co-captains again for the next season. Thats hardly 'clinging onto it' is it? I'd assume every game he was available for that year

he played in the seniors, hardly the type of choice you'd make just to ensure you kept getting a game!

But go on, keep revising history for your own arguments..

Like many others have said, 2016 is a big year for the MFC. Trading away our future first round was a statement despite next years crop is touted as a 'super draft'. We have a lot at stake here.

Like many others have said, 2016 is a big year for the MFC. Trading away our future first round was a statement despite next years crop is touted as a 'super draft'. We have a lot at stake here.

Have not heard this once. Source?

Not sure why they don't use Grimes in a lock down role and free up Bernie. Grimes is super fit and can defend. Could be a Crowley...

Love his commitment, its just his disposal tthat has to be fixed..

Good call on Grimes playing that role.

I feel he makes too many mistakes from a skill perspective that seem to always result in turnovers but he's such a great reader of the play from that half back line.

I don't reckon he has the agro to be a lock down player, and (as evidenced by Crowley) the era of the pure tagger is seemingly over.

Agree with 'stuie' on Grimes, he also lacks the physical strength to do the job.

...not so sure of the days of the pure tagger being over though 'stuie'...these things seem to go in and out of favour.

Started to come back into favour at North towards the end of the year.

This is the way I would like things to go and is my opinion. I know that not everyone will agree with me though.

Jack Watts: OOC Free Agent, likely to be UFA? - I would like him to stay. Not every player needs to be a bash and crash player, we have enough of those - and good ones.

Chris Dawes: Last year of an expensive contract? - Thank god, please pass him off somewhere else.

Heritier Lumumba: Didn't deliver value, contract may provide protection. - I agree, didn't deliver this year. Hopefully he can lift a level next year as we are stuck with him.

Jack Trengove: It will be some sort of miracle if he gets back. - Would like a nice outside role on the wing for him obviously if he is right to go. We all know what he can do.

Ben Newton: There's a lot of competition for spots now. - Unfortunately I see a lot of VFL time for him next year. Has shown to be damaging, but needs more consistency.

Cam Pedersen: A one year contract. - Would like him to stick around a bit longer, thought he has been useful in the forward half.

Viv Michie: See Ben Newton. - Was never a fan but did come on late in the season, looks to be a back up only.

Jay Kennedy-Harris: See Ben Newton - Showed a bit in his first year and am a bit of a fan. Won't be knocking Garlett off his perch anytime soon but am happy to keep him as he has shown enough.

Jayden Hunt: This year it's time to show something - I agree fully. Needs to show something or he's out the door.

Jack Grimes: See Jack watts - Unashamedly, I am a Grimes fan. To me, his disposal isn't as bad as everyone makes out. He was in our best for quite a few games late this year.

Jake Spencer: Back up ruckman is a precarious role. - I think if he doesn't get enough opportunities he may look elsewhere next year.

James Harmes: See Cam Pedersen. - Has shown enough for me to keep him around.

Matt Jones: See Ben Newton. - Will be out the door. His disposal is far worse than Grimes.

Dean Terlich: Only saved this year by his contract. - Will be out the door, not getting any opportunities at all.

Max King: Must continue to improve. - Happy to keep him in the wings also.

Edited by Barra17

I think Dawes would be most under the spotlight. Seems a great bloke but just doesn't provide value for money.

I disagree with many re Grimes. There would be plenty of others under the spotlight before him. I'm not sure where the "He doesn't read the play well" fantasies are coming from. He is one of the better 'sweepers' we have in the backline.I hope he remains a one club player because there is a lot to like about him.

I want to see value in Spencer but I just need someone to convince me. I would rather have a competent/skilful backup ruckman than the 'wrecking ball' variety. I was surprised when they re contracted him.

I must give him credit though for his pace, given his size and his tackling.

Jack Watts: OOC Free Agent, likely to be UFA?- I think we'll continue to try to make something of him, and at the same time, be open to offers for him. Being an UFA means we probably missed the boat to get decent value for him.

Chris Dawes: Last year of an expensive contract?- Could be a year by year proposition from now on. Has a lot to give off field, but is often an on field liability.

Heritier Lumumba: Didn't deliver value, contract may provide protection- Disappointment is an understatement. Needs to improve quickly or his spot will be given away to someone else. Not that we will get rid of him, but if he becomes a depth player, I won't be crying myself to sleep

Jack Trengove: It will be some sort of miracle if he gets back- Fingers crossed for him that he makes it back and makes his mark. A great player before injury, and someone who deserves every chance to get back. Here is hoping. Could be the best story to come out of 2016! (If he breaks down again, fair to say he'll retire)

Ben Newton: There's a lot of competition for spots now- Good depth option, lots more before him to go. Can't see him becoming a best 22 player unless his tank improves

Cam Pedersen: A one year contract- I think this will be his last year

Viv Michie: See Ben Newton- Needs to do something pretty special to stay beyond next season

Jay Kennedy-Harris: See Ben Newton- Even if he doesn't have a great year, he is a better than average depth option. Kent (who is a walk up start IMO), Kennedy & Harmes will push him for a spot . Would like to see him tried off half back, but competition for spots there is just as fierce.

Jayden Hunt: This year it's time to show something- Yep, needs to show something. Maybe he will get re-rookied

Jack Grimes: See Jack watts- Agreed that he needs a good season and a decent run of games. He might want better opportunities elsewhere if he can't get a game. Competition now with Bugg, Salem, Jetta

Jake Spencer: Back up ruckman is a precarious role- Unless we think we can get an established big man in a trade, or he goes looking elsewhere, he will most likely stay. We need back up for Gawn. Will be interesting to see how we play the 2nd ruck role with the sub gone

James Harmes: See Cam Pedersen- Contracted at the end of next year, don't think he needs a massive year, but steady continued improvement will do. Pressure for spots with Kent, JHK, Kennedy

Matt Jones: See Ben Newton- Gone. Isn't he out of contract next year?

Dean Terlich: Only saved this year by his contract- Gone

Max King: Must continue to improve - Low risk option. Maybe get re-rookied

Edited by Jaded

...for the whole club: -

• Stating that finals is an objective in 2016 (PJ)
  • Re-signing of Jesse Hogan essential
  • Backing up our positive trade/draft period (having used next years 1st round pick) with a stronger team
  • If finals is an objective......that's 12 + wins as a pass mark.
  • Membership targets to be met. 40,000.
  • Off field in the black again for 3rd year would support club is on right path
  • Like 4