Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Darcy Parish

Demonland

Think about it like this..

When we made 2 attempts to trade for pick 3, the 2nd one successful, Obviously we had a particular player targeted that would be available at 3 but not at 5,6 or 7. We didn't do it just to improve our draft position. IMO, we made our decision weeks ago and the statement on mfc website by Taylor was a suspense tease. Brett Anderson only made the comments about hearing that we'll take Curnow this week. So I believe it is Parish and has always been

Question; when did we decide to go for pick 3? Did we actively decide to trade for pick 3 or did that idea come after GC showed interest in Howe? If it was after GC shown interest in Howe it could suggest pick 3 was not a target originally, but made sense seeing as the currency (with our pick 7) would be a logical trade. Obviously it didn't work out that way and GC still came to the party but the deal was done with other currency.

Maybe gaining pick 3 wasn't on the agenda but was just a nice little benefit of Howe being a cheeky greedy man? Who knows, just a theory. Now that we have it we can take ANY player that we want and know wouldn't have lasted to our original first pick. FWIW I do hope it's Parish- he looks like that missing outside link our midfield needs. Of course it could be a tall who wouldn't have been available at our original pick and then the best option left for the midfield- either way it looks like we're set to get 2 players we desperately need to fill gaps and I'm excited about that.

• Like 1

Parish is an Under age AA, who is seen by all as the most complete midfield of this draft.

His only "weakness" is that at 181cm, he's 4 cm shorter than Simon Goodwin.

Ben Cousins was 179cm... ;)

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 8

Separately, on the testing of Weideman, I don't think I've heard anything much absurd than the proposition that we're considering him to keep Jesse Hogan happy and at the club. I'm sure Hogan would be just as happy to see the club add some future elite midfielders who could pump the ball to him with precision no less than a potential KPP who has been injured and out of action since May.

Agree with you to a point WJ, but what if your budding young superstar forward, in a meeting with Roos, Goody & Mahoney said something along the lines of 'I want to sign an extension, BUT I want a quality big body to support me up forward. That's what I want, because I don't want to be the sole focus of opposition key backs, double teaming, triple teaming me and increasing the strain on my body and reducing the length of my career.

I want a long term partner to share the load and I want to know what the forward line looks like going forward before I seriously consider putting pen to paper'

What would the response be?

• Like 2

Agree with you to a point WJ, but what if your budding young superstar forward, in a meeting with Roos, Goody & Mahoney said something along the lines of 'I want to sign an extension, BUT I want a quality big body to support me up forward. That's what I want, because I don't want to be the sole focus of opposition key backs, double teaming, triple teaming me and increasing the strain on my body and reducing the length of my career.

I want a long term partner to share the load and I want to know what the forward line looks like going forward before I seriously consider putting pen to paper'

Just let Jesse do the drafting for us if it keeps him happy, seriously he can even call out the names on draft night

• Like 5

We will find you that player, but we are not going to reach for a player who we are not certain can fulfil that role.

Midfields win flags, Jesse.

• Like 3

I think if Jesse believes that the club is so clueless that he should be directing our draft and team development strategy, he's already half way back across the Nullarbor...

I'd hope the club has informed Jesse (and the other players) of our startegy and they are supportive and aligned with it, and their role in it...

• Like 2

Michael Turner...he is always over the top about Falcons players so he likes to exaggerate a little.

Interesting though that their only player who was a 2 time AA was Bartel so Parish is in pretty good company, Bartel/Selwood...

Mick Turner's opinion of any falcons player should be wholeheartedly ignored.

He invented hyperbole.

• Like 3

There are too many hypotheticals there for me to give you an answer as to what I would say after rolling my eyes at the suggestion if it ever was made (which I strongly doubt)..

"Well son......We are trying to build a TEAM.....We want another big man up forward but we will do what is best for the team and the club and if that's another midfielder, well suck it up and play the best you can . You have played 20 games.....We know what we are doing."

Please don't tell me we will kowtow to a bloke who has played just 20 games....No matter how good he is.

• Like 1

Parish is an Under age AA, who is seen by all as the most complete midfield of this draft.

Turner compares him most directly with Joel Selwood who is 182cm. 181cm would be even more effective at doing that Joel Selwood arm raise to get the highest high tackle count in the league. Mind you Parish is 13kg's lighter.

Turner compares him most directly with Joel Selwood who is 182cm. 181cm would be even more effective at doing that Joel Selwood arm raise to get the highest high tackle count in the league. Mind you Parish is 13kg's lighter.

One is 27 with 10 pre seasons under his belt

The other is 18 with none.

• Like 2

chances are he'll still grown a few more cm's...hes still young

One is 27 with 10 pre seasons under his belt

The other is 18 with none.

He wasn't knocking the comparison mate, just making a comment about him being able to duck into frees like Selwood at his height.

The way you jump to defend Parish is admirable, but if I was you I'd have a stiff drink on hand just in case we take someone else. It could be a long night for you.

• Like 1

I've watched a lot of match replays and all the highlights of Parish (yes they're just highlights I know I know)

I believe the experts that he can read the play well, uses the ball well and is a good outside midfielder in the way he can burst away from packs and spread well.

But I haven't seen any really solid contested football from him. He bounces around in congestion occasionally and gets the handball away quickly before or just as he's being tackled. But I'm really not sure about his contested football.

When you look at Hopper's highlights (Brayshaw and Petracca's from last year too) they can do a lot of different things. The main thing you see from these three is real hardness and commitment to the contest including tackling. Hopper, Trak and Brayshaw can win one on one contests all over the ground. I don't see this much at all from Darcy. It is what Roos has pushed most is commitment and hardness which you also see from Harmes, Stretch and ANB.

If we are looking for an outside mid who can spread and use the ball well then I think he's great. If he can work on his defensive side and build up his strength he could be terrific.

But I haven't seen any really solid contested football from him. He bounces around in congestion occasionally and gets the handball away quickly before or just as he's being tackled. But I'm really not sure about his contested football.

IMO, that's part of contested football. Players like Mitchell and Simon Black had that innate ability to dispose of the ball in contested situations. That takes talent.

Based on limited highlights, Oliver seems to try to take on the tackler, whereas Parish looks to dispose of the ball instinctively. Give me Parish any day.

• Like 5

I've watched a lot of match replays and all the highlights of Parish (yes they're just highlights I know I know)

I believe the experts that he can read the play well, uses the ball well and is a good outside midfielder in the way he can burst away from packs and spread well.

When you look at Hopper's highlights (Brayshaw and Petracca's from last year too) they can do a lot of different things. The main thing you see from these three is real hardness and commitment to the contest including tackling. Hopper, Trak and Brayshaw can win one on one contests all over the ground. I don't see this much at all from Darcy. It is what Roos has pushed most is commitment and hardness which you also see from Harmes, Stretch and ANB.

If we are looking for an outside mid who can spread and use the ball well then I think he's great. If he can work on his defensive side and build up his strength he could be terrific.

don't disagree with this except i don't think it's right to just call him an outside mid. he certainly doesn't just hang around the fringes looking for easy candy.

i saw plenty of inside mid work with exceptionally good and fast first option disposal. great awareness

plus for someone to average the number of possessions he did in the shorter quarters played in u18 means he must be winning a bit of ball and knows where to find it

i'm sticking with him for p3 and best available tall fwd left at p7

• Like 1

I was at the club's trade and draft evening with Jason Taylor and Todd Viney and while there was a great deal of discussion concerning a variety of the matters relating to the club, I don't think anyone went away any the wiser about who the club is drafting at #3.

We were shown highlight tapes of six players who the club presumably considers would be available within its range of picks #3 and #7. They are:

Charlie Curnow,

Aaron Francis,

Wayne Milera,

Clayton Oliver,

Darcy Parish and

Sam Weideman.

I would suggest then that we will draft two of those players next Tuesday night and while the club has made up its mind as to who will be taken at 3, nobody is telling. Nor are they telling the player involved because they want the player to enjoy the occasion.

So, the suspense continues although watching the highlights passage and combined with the more detailed games I've seen in the past, confirms in my mind that Darcy Parish is our best pick. My next two would be Aaron Francis and Charlie Curnow ahead of Clayton Oliver and Wayne Milera. I don't believe Sam Weideman is for us.

Anyway, we'll know soon enough.

• Like 14

I was at the club's trade and draft evening with Jason Taylor and Todd Viney and while there was a great deal of discussion concerning a variety of the matters relating to the club, I don't think anyone went away any the wiser about who the club is drafting at #3.

We were shown highlight tapes of six players who the club presumably considers would be available within its range of picks #3 and #7. They are:

Charlie Curnow,

Aaron Francis,

Wayne Milera,

Clayton Oliver,

Darcy Parish and

Sam Weideman.

I would suggest then that we will draft two of those players next Tuesday night and while the club has made up its mind as to who will be taken at 3, nobody is telling. Nor are they telling the player involved because they want the player to enjoy the occasion.

So, the suspense continues although watching the highlights passage and combined with the more detailed games I've seen in the past, confirms in my mind that Darcy Parish is our best pick. My next two would be Aaron Francis and Charlie Curnow ahead of Clayton Oliver and Wayne Milera. I don't believe Sam Weideman is for us.

darn, you realise jack, you have just lit a big fuse under olisik which could last a decade

• Like 4

Charlie Curnow,

Aaron Francis,

Wayne Milera,

Clayton Oliver,

Darcy Parish and

Sam Weideman.

Great work.

If they wont tell the player then they wont tell the media which is great! All about getting excited and unwrapping that xmas present.