Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

NATIONAL DRAFT PICKS 3 & 7

Lucifers Hero

Parish's lack of tackling is one of the major knocks on him.

It's honestly not all that bad, the intent is there, sometimes he struggles to bring down bigger bodies but he's having a dip, bit of time in the gym and that will improve

• Like 2

Jon Brown was a father son from a Fitzroy player.

There is a need to define a pathway to locals into the local system and the better ones have a chance to stay locally.

The next Ablett that comes out of West Sydney just has to be playing for GWS - this is what they are trying to ensure.

I don't have a problem with it anymore - once that Ablett gets taken in the draft with the weighting, the won't have another pick in the draft - they will pay their price.

I see a need for an uncompromised draft - at least as much as possible. If that means a few QLD/NSW guns playing interstate well its not ideal but its worth it for a fairer drafting system. If sydney keep getting guys like Heeney (stand out No 1 picks) that will never be out of finals. even though they would have to give us 2 and 3rd rounders. i know what id prefer. The gun number one draft pick

I dont see why the AFL complicates things so much

but we clearly have different view points so maybe we'll just leave it at that

• Like 1

It's honestly not all that bad, the intent is there, sometimes he struggles to bring down bigger bodies but he's having a dip, bit of time in the gym and that will improve

I dont see where that knock comes from. He doesnt always hold his tackles due to size but he is always happy to tackle. In comparison to Curnow and Oliver who tackle to hurt (or kill) he is a bit softer in this regard, but he's one you'd prefer not to tackle - let Viney knock them down and Parish can take the ball and go.

• Like 2

Exactly this. I keep harping on about it. We don't just need midfielders.. People keep crying out that we have a weak midfield. We don't just have a weak midfield. We lack experienced and veteran midfielders. We don't NEED to draft another young midfield brigade. Look at the list that was quoted above ^. Which is exactly why we need a tall at 3 or 7.

Are you kidding?? suddenly melksham has been added to our great midfield, hows things have changed. he got dropped twice this year from the dons terrible midfield. I dont want to bag a Dees player and I want him to succeed, but he has been quite poor to date despite some decent games in 2013. and ANB/Stetch show potential but can we say both will be 200+ game midfielders for us? no. and with JT and other injuries we need a lot more midfield depth! just look at port, hawks, sydney etc.

our midfield needs a lot of quality added to it. even if our young guys develop as we hope

• Like 2

I see a need for an uncompromised draft - at least as much as possible. If that means a few QLD/NSW guns playing interstate well its not ideal but its worth it for a fairer drafting system. If sydney keep getting guys like Heeney (stand out No 1 picks) that will never be out of finals. even though they would have to give us 2 and 3rd rounders. i know what id prefer. The gun number one draft pick

I dont see why the AFL complicates things so much

but we clearly have different view points so maybe we'll just leave it at that

I understand what you are saying but it would also involve you going to the football and watching Jack Viney play for Collingwood or Carlton.

I can see the Academies as a aide to the Northern states, of course it is, and the future may not have them in our equalise game but these local products just have to sold to local markets playing for local teams right now - it is important to the growth of the game.

I would fix the draw and our half pregnant Free Agency before attacking the academies - there haven't been too many dominant Academy players that have come into the system so far have there?

• Like 2

I understand what you are saying but it would also involve you going to the football and watching Jack Viney play for Collingwood or Carlton.

I can see the Academies as a aide to the Northern states, of course it is, and the future may not have them in our equalise game but these local products just have to sold to local markets playing for local teams right now - it is important to the growth of the game.

I would fix the draw and our half pregnant Free Agency before attacking the academies - there haven't been too many dominant Academy players that have come into the system so far have there?

this we can certainly agree on!

That's why we'll take Curnow at 3 to play the Jack Darling lead up role.

Pick 7 could be used on best available mid.

There are a number of mids we can pick and I don't think there is a massive gap between them. We need a true key position forward, not under size lead up forwards. For me pick 3 Wiederman and pick 7 Mckay, bring in two keys one that can play that Ruck/Forward role. Then two picks late in the draft to get some mid size players.

For me, what seems obvious is that there IS a big gap between the mids, but that there is little between the tall forwards, and much more likely that there will be a better KPF left at pick 7 than a high quality mid.

I'd happily take Parish at 3, then wait for whoever is left of Curnow, McKay or (hopefully) Weideman.

• Like 4

Could Petracca be the one to start off here. He did start the draft year as a KPF. Then worked his way into the midfield.

Similar size to Jack Darling.

Yes. Petracca is 2 inches shorter than Stringer, but a far better mark. Petracca is brilliant overhead and I see him kicking 30 + goals most years.

Parish's lack of tackling is one of the major knocks on him.

Depends how you look at it. I think its smart of Parish to not over commit. Some players (like Viney used to) take the opposition players out of the contest, but also take themselves out of the contest, its not smart to do that, and Parish seems aware of this. I have been him completely miss tackles, but mostly he is looking at the 3rd or 4th piece of play. Its all about recovery, as much as I love Oliver, he often over commits to tackles, and that doesn't do his teammates any good.

Edited by KingDingAling

For me, what seems obvious is that there IS a big gap between the mids, but that there is little between the tall forwards, and much more likely that there will be a better KPF left at pick 7 than a high quality mid.

I'd happily take Parish at 3, then wait for whoever is left of Curnow, McKay or (hopefully) Weideman.

I see it the other way around. I'd much rather get Weideman than Curnow or McKay, but I would be more than happy with one of Parish, Oliver and Francis.

• Like 2

The two available KPP that we get a look at are at best Id say Suss 1 and Suss 2. Be wasting picks . We can get this player later

We certainly won't get it next year, our first pick will be higher than 30 I reckon, after the academy and compo picks... or whatevs the afl pull out of their rear next year

Are you kidding?? suddenly melksham has been added to our great midfield, hows things have changed. he got dropped twice this year from the dons terrible midfield. I dont want to bag a Dees player and I want him to succeed, but he has been quite poor to date despite some decent games in 2013. and ANB/Stetch show potential but can we say both will be 200+ game midfielders for us? no. and with JT and other injuries we need a lot more midfield depth! just look at port, hawks, sydney etc.

our midfield needs a lot of quality added to it. even if our young guys develop as we hope

Selecting a top 10 KPP and a top 10 midfielder will address two problems. We have a lot of decent midfield prospects and some impressive older players in there at the moment, but our forward line really begins and ends with Hogan. Think of how much better Hogan would be with another good key forward to share the 50 with. Think of how bad it would be if Hogan went down for a significant period of time and our only option to replace him was Dawes. Think about how well a young KPP prospect could develop with Hogan as a role model, taking the best defender every single week. To me, it's an absolute no brainer.

Also, I believe Melksham has been earmarked for a role predominantly off half back..

Edited by Good Times Grimes
  • Like 1

If (and it's a big if) the club has had some indication that Prestia is headed our way next year, does that change the drafting strategy this year? Could we go two talls with the knowledge that our midfield will be all but completed come 2017?

No doubt at all, that would change things. I still think we would go best available at 3. I think best available at 3 is Francis, but its one of those years where a case could be made for about 5-6 players. What makes it more difficult is that there is 2 mouth watering prospects in Curnow and Weiderman that haven't played much footy this year, or been limited in their preparation. So those 2 players have tremendous upside - but also a high level of risk. Also, Curnow hasn't really locked down a position, he is versatile at under 18 level, but not exceptional in any position, I would lean towards overlooking Curnow, even at pick 7.

Dom hit the nail on the head. With Tyson, Salem, Petracca, Brayshaw, ANB, Stretch, Viney, Melksham, Vandenberg we're well placed for a dominant midfield in the near future.

Add Jones, Vince, one of P3 or P7 and hopefully Trengove and it makes sense to use one of these selections on a tall to complement Hogan.

It just makes sense.

I don't think enough is being made out of this guy. He was the no. 1 midfielder last draft. I saw a whole heap of PS training and I thought he looked a lot more prepared than Brayshaw did, and we all know how AB went. I seem to link this article a bit, but it's worth another read to think about how when CP debuts in 2016, it won't be like a first year player. It will be enhanced by the year on the sidelines like it was with Hogan. Back to back rising stars for us I reckon.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/how-melbourne-built-jesse-hogan-20150427-1mukbm.html

• Like 2

Yes. Petracca is 2 inches shorter than Stringer, but a far better mark. Petracca is brilliant overhead and I see him kicking 30 + goals most years.

Yeah I agree. I think Petracca will be a handful up forward. Petracca could play one out in the forward line if Hogan wanted to move up the ground for a bit. I think we'll see that happen at times, I don't see Petracca as a flanker. I see him as a midfielder/deep forward. He holds a lot of advantages over most AFL players, especially back man, he will be a hard match up - as we see with Stringer.

Parish at pick 3 by a country mile.

Champion data has him ranked as the best available player behind Weitering and Schache if they're to go at one and two (exc. academy players).

Both Parish's contested and uncontested possessions are above average.

Some consider his shorter frame a knock, I don't. The shorter builds of Murphy, Mitchell, A. Swallow or even Jack Viney haven't hindered them.

Now lets say "if" Parish didn't develop into that week in week out on-baller, having the likes of Viney, Tyson, Brayshaw and Petracca named in that position ahead of him.

He would make an excellent outsider midfielder who's more than willing to put his head over the ball, nor shrug a contest when encountered (a rare attribute in outside mids) - thus the team wins more contested possessions.

He has silky skills, excellent awareness and poised under pressure. He also leads the U18 stats with the most meters gained.

I think there is very little risk with Parish, rather than selecting someone like Curnow that just "might" develop into a "bigger bodied midfielder" (that flavour of the month word).

Parish is TALENT, and the best available at that (hopefully).

• Like 10

Yep, things may turn out that way.

Although I'm not sure there's another mid available that complements our midfield like Parish. If there was then taking Curnow at 3 would be a no-brainer (assuming we rate him as suggested).

I reckon there are 2 or three 3 (Milera, Ah Chee, Gresham) could complement our midfield to a similar level, but don't think the club have them that high on their chart.

I see it the other way around. I'd much rather get Weideman than Curnow or McKay, but I would be more than happy with one of Parish, Oliver and Francis.

I think this is absolutely correct and will come strongly into their thinking.

But what will also come in is their evaluation of our list, where do they see Bugg, Melksham, Kennedy, Stretch, ABN, AVB, Kent, Petracca, Trengove, White, Harmes, JKH and perhaps most importantly King fitting in. What sort of forward line do they want to run? Two key forwards? Not many have that. Do they want a Curnow or a Weideman type? The Hawks are so difficult to defend because they can change their forward structure each quarter. Interestingly they are probably harder to match up on now without Buddy. Is two key forwards with a resting ruck viable now and in the future. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

And how do the FD see limitations on rotations working. What do they think the AFL will do to reduce congestion? What sort of player does that favour?

There has been some very good discussion about who we will take but this year I reckon there is so much we don't know that we are all a bit lost. I certainly am.

Most interesting draft in years this year.

• Like 5

I think this is absolutely correct and will come strongly into their thinking.

But what will also come in is their evaluation of our list, where do they see Bugg, Melksham, Kennedy, Stretch, ABN, AVB, Kent, Petracca, Trengove, White, Harmes, JKH and perhaps most importantly King fitting in. What sort of forward line do they want to run? Two key forwards? Not many have that. Do they want a Curnow or a Weideman type? The Hawks are so difficult to defend because they can change their forward structure each quarter. Interestingly they are probably harder to match up on now without Buddy. Is two key forwards with a resting ruck viable now and in the future. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

And how do the FD see limitations on rotations working. What do they think the AFL will do to reduce congestion? What sort of player does that favour?

There has been some very good discussion about who we will take but this year I reckon there is so much we don't know that we are all a bit lost. I certainly am.

Most interesting draft in years this year.

This is a great question 'Bob', it will be very interesting to see how it all pans out.

I could see a return of more marking and goal kicking forwards, with KPF's spending time closer to goal and less congestion giving them more space to move in. Then again as some coaches have flagged, the reduction of interchange may mean more flooding and greater congestion in the forward half.

Answer me this. Which has more depth right now as we speak. Our forward line or our midfield?

Edited by juzzk1d

I don't think enough is being made out of this guy. He was the no. 1 midfielder last draft. I saw a whole heap of PS training and I thought he looked a lot more prepared than Brayshaw did, and we all know how AB went. I seem to link this article a bit, but it's worth another read to think about how when CP debuts in 2016, it won't be like a first year player. It will be enhanced by the year on the sidelines like it was with Hogan. Back to back rising stars for us I reckon.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/how-melbourne-built-jesse-hogan-20150427-1mukbm.html

As stated previously. Petracca doesn't have to come straight into the midfield and make a massive impact. He will be damaging enough just hanging around the forward line. Then he can move into the froward line when the time is right.

As stated previously. Petracca doesn't have to come straight into the midfield and make a massive impact. He will be damaging enough just hanging around the forward line. Then he can move into the froward line when the time is right.

Your signature is on point.

• Like 1