Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

NATIONAL DRAFT PICKS 3 & 7

Lucifers Hero

From Paige Cardona:

3: Darcy Parish (6)

Height: 181cm, Weight: 72kg

Club: Geelong Falcons

Position: Midfielder

If Darcy Parish was a thermometer, then not only would the mercury be rising, but it very well could have exploded through the top by now. A 38-disposal effort against reigning Premiers Oakleigh last weekend means the lid is off. The kid is a jet but we already knew that. In the past month, Parishs stats have been off the Richta. The blonde-haired, nimble midfielder has averaged 30 disposals over his past month of TAC Cup footy, has shown his outside prowess and running capacity with an average of 9.5 hand ball receives per game, and leads the competition in metres gained. He gutsy line-breaker isnt afraid of winning his own ball, and is no stranger to making his presence felt on the scoreboard, either. Busy midfielder who is tougher than he looks. Likes to break lines, and has serious hurt-fact by foot, rarely ever missing a target. Has a tendency to always get the ball moving, and likes to play on wherever possible. Hunts the ball with intent, and is a relentless tackler. Can be pushed forward where hes known to hit the scoreboard. Bounces through congestion and has worked hard on his inside game.

4: Aaron Francis (-)

Height: 191cm, Weight: 88kg

Club: West Adelaide

Position: Defender/Utility

Continuing on from his good form, the tall utility from West Adelaide looks a safe bet as a top-five talent, if that wasnt already known. Hes safe as houses in defence, cutting off entries with strong marks, and finding avenues to propel his team into attack, whilst up forward hes not shy of flying for a pack mark; put simply, he has game-changing attributes. Francis also has provided minutes through the midfield; its where his mature body and thirst for the contested ball make him a wrecking ball in close, but the question mark on him is his tank its not quite at a level where he can threaten the midfield for prolonged periods of time, and looms more of a swingman prospect at either end of the ground. Clever defender/forward with a strong vertical leap. Understands when to leave his opponent to impact other contests, as much as he knows when to push off his man to provide an option coming out of the backline. Has shown that when hes played forward his leading patterns are crafty, taking marks at dangerous spots inside 50. An aerialist who is unstoppable in the air. Reads the flight of the ball well and rarely makes poor decisions.

7: Charlie Curnow (-)

Height: 191cm, Weight: 95kg

Position: Utility

The big fella is back, and my gosh has he returned with a vengeance. Charlie Curnow has put together three consecutive games now for the Falcons since suffering a dislocated knee back in May that put a line through his National Championships. Curnow has been stationed up forward since returning, bagging nine goals across games against the Knights, Chargers and Stingrays. During that period, hes thrown up some exciting numbers; averaging almost 13 possessions, six marks (three contested), and has kicked 6.1 in the past fortnight. The aggressive utility is strong and competitive, has courage and excels in the air. He always looks a threat when hes near the ball, and isnt afraid of playing high up the ground where he can out-work his opponent. Hell go early, but isnt one who I believe thatll impact early in his debut year. Curnow is a natural footballer, but hes still got development to go in his game. Hes more of a long-term prospect. An athletic tall forward that plays like a midfielder, yet has the physical attributes of a Tex Walker. Is a booming kick for goal, a monster contested grab and is quite pacey given his measurements. Has a massive endurance base since playing most of his footy as a midfielder before his growth spurt. Still raw in facets of his game, but looms as a long-term prospect that could shape a clubs forward line.

8: Rhys Mathieson (10)

Height: 185cm, Weight: 79kg

Position: Midfielder

Another contested beast that makes a habit of ensuring his opponent eats dirt when thrown to the ground in a tackle, Geelongs Rhys Mathieson is a competitor with a football character that coaches crave. A workhorse that loves the physical stuff Mathieson has a tank that allows him cover huge territory, and remain on the park for long periods of time. A midfielder wholl dominate the clearances and contested ball, Mathieson doesnt have any breath-taking traits, however youll always know what youll get with the fierce midfielder; courage in spades, leadership by the bucket load and an unrelenting attack on the ball that inspires teammates. His disposal can be rushed and scrappy at times, but hes worked hard on that, and it showed during the championships, averaging 68 per cent disposal efficiency, a tick off AFL-elite. A competitive beast that hates being beaten. Terrific footy IQ with a tendency to know where the ball is always going. Knows his way around the stoppages, and is an excellent tackler who likes to slam his opponent into the turf and hit hard when the opportunity arises. Can also push forward where he is known for kicking goals in quick succession.

12: Sam Weideman (-)

Height: 196cm, Weight: 91kg

Club: Eastern Ranges

Position: Key Forward

A competitive beast blessed with terrific athleticism, agility and a strong leap, Sam Weideman has become somewhat of a hard man to place given his lack of football this year, thanks to a stress fracture in his foot. Weideman had a consistent year for the Ranges as a bottom-age prospect last year (albeit a minor hiccup midway through), getting better as the season progressed, but you only need to look back at his remarkable game for the Academy against the Northern Blues VFL to see what hes capable of. Weideman has clean hands and is an elite contested mark. He doesnt mind flying for a ball in a pack situation, just as much as he loves going one-on-one. An efficient power forward, and when you watch him next, check out his composure on either side of his body something very rare for key forwards. A talented key forward with a strong contested mark. Has missed a lot of football this year due to a stress fracture in his foot. Showed in his bottom-age year he could be a focal point up forward, providing the Ranges with a key target up forward in Christian Petraccas absence. Has good depth and penetration in his kicking, likes to play higher up the ground and push hard into open space inside 50. Grandson of Collingwoods legendary Murray Weideman, and son of Mark who also played for the Pies, albeit not enough to qualify for father/son.

• Like 1

And for pick 7 I highly hope we take a good look at Mathieson. Kid plays with a style like Jordan Lewis and won't have any issues stepping up. If not playing for the 1sts he will definitely dominate and help put Casey while he develops. Can see huge upside in this guy and closer to a sure thing then Parish/Weideman imo

Emma Quayle did the calculations (so if I'm wrong, blame her .... and me for being too lazy to check them!) and she said that the tipping point for the Gold Coast trade was 11th next year. In other words, if we finish 11th or better next year then we win the trade, but if we finish worse then we lose.

But we clearly knew that we could quickly turn pick 10 into pick 7.

So the tipping point for a win in this trade for us is now 14th (but still 11th for Gold Coast). Plus GWS get more points than they would have. That's a win-win-win and good trading from all parties because we have all come together with the same assets and all walked away better off.

Plus it's a tremendously fulfilling way to screw Essendon and Carlton .... especially since we did it with the picks that originally came from Collingwood!

• Like 12

Naturally Ive spent a significant portion of the last 18 hours rolling around the scenarios in my head. Pick 7s a bit of a game changer in our strategy.

Weideman was highly unlikely to get to 10, but is a reasonable chance to be there at 7 IF Melbourne take Parish. I suspect that Essendon wont go with Curnow & Weideman given they are looking for a midfielder as well. Francis would be a good fit at GC, but they would like Milera as well (a Scotty Clayton type if ever there was one), Weideman is in the frame, but Id be slightly surprised if they went there. Meaning we could get the mid we need as well as a key forward.

If we go with Curnow (who is still very much in the frame), no way Parish gets to us, and we miss Weideman when Essendon snaffle him up. If we go Parish and both key forwards are gone, then we probably take Francis, who can play forward and on talent I reckon is still top 3 quality.

We have a greater chance of meeting all of our needs if we pick Parish at 3. In deciding to go for the mid at 3, I think we'll definitely bid on Mills if one hasn't already been matched by Sydney. I suspect we'll leave GWS alone in the academy bidding given how accommodating they were in the trade period.

• Like 9

I think this is the biggest reason we did the GC trade in the first place. Initially it seemed there is a fair amount of risk if we finish in a low position that we've given up a strong pick next season. However, by trading down to 7 the risk is lessened and it is very likely our first pick next season is 7 or higher.

I really hope we make finals and our first pick ends up being 10-12 or something like that. Then we will have done very well in the trade, plus we would've played finals which is the main thing!

• Like 1

With the sub out and reduced rotations Curnow with a mid type tank looks tempting as a run them into the ground forward who is a strong mark. Emma says he is a natural footballer which i think is way better than the athlete first then footballer type. Doubt whether he will last to pick 7. Parish is a gun outside player described as a game changer and we lack gun outsiders. Usually outsiders do not go this early in the draft - but we need his type. Again probably will not slip to 7.

Weideman would be a great foil for Hogan and Callum Twoomey said on trade radio that he believed if it was not for injury the Weed would rate at pick 2.

Milera as an outside player will probably be available at 7. He has been playing well in SANFL with one 5 goal game.

Can't wait for it to all unfold. Callum will produce another AFL Website draft rating closer to the real thing. He usually gets it fairly accurately.

• Like 1

Naturally Ive spent a significant portion of the last 18 hours rolling around the scenarios in my head. Pick 7s a bit of a game changer in our strategy.

Weideman was highly unlikely to get to 10, but is a reasonable chance to be there at 7 IF Melbourne take Parish. I suspect that Essendon wont go with Curnow & Weideman given they are looking for a midfielder as well. Francis would be a good fit at GC, but they would like Milera as well (a Scotty Clayton type if ever there was one), Weideman is in the frame, but Id be slightly surprised if they went there. Meaning we could get the mid we need as well as a key forward.

If we go with Curnow (who is still very much in the frame), no way Parish gets to us, and we miss Weideman when Essendon snaffle him up. If we go Parish and both key forwards are gone, then we probably take Francis, who can play forward and on talent I reckon is still top 3 quality.

We have a greater chance of meeting all of our needs if we pick Parish at 3. In deciding to go for the mid at 3, I think we'll definitely bid on Mills if one hasn't already been matched by Sydney. I suspect we'll leave GWS alone in the academy bidding given how accommodating they were in the trade period.

Like you ChaserJ, I've been thinking of each scenario, and you're definitely more in tune with the draft prospects than I. Your post makes a lot of sense re: Parish and the key forwards. It will be fascinating for the next few weeks and I'm confident the FD have already made up their minds on 3. Whether that is Parish, Curnow or Francis, we will see.

I'm thinking KF and MID for 3 and 7 respectively.

Plus it's a tremendously fulfilling way to screw Essendon and Carlton .... especially since we did it with the picks that originally came from Collingwood!

you had me at this !! :)

Is Curnow a bigger version of Petracca. Big bodies, big tanks, strong marks. Petracca at TAC level performed way better than Curnow as a forward (and that was Petracca's 1st TAC year) and also proved himself as a gun TAC mid in his 2nd year - Curnow unproved as a mid. The difference is Petracca is described as a special player whereas the talk is that Curnow COULD be a special player - big difference in risk level for a high pick - still very tempting.

BF has some excellent junior football watchers. I'm not sure of this persons bona fides, however, they state that Curnow is a mid first and foremost.

7. Charlie Curnow - Vic Country (191 cm, 95 kg key forward/inside midfielder)

Style/Comparison: Jake Stringer

Charlie Curnow is one of the most underrated prospects in this draft and partially due to an unfortunate dislocated knee that forced him to miss the championships, has flown under the radar strongly. While many salivate over his highly rated teammates Rhys Mathieson and Darcy Parish, Curnow has quietly gone about his business rather impressively. Curnow is a strong-bodied midfielder who has starred up forward because of the lack of key forwards at the Falcons. In many games, Curnow has kicked a handful of goals and then gone into the middle and won plenty of inside ball. His style is not too dissimilar to a Jack Darling, Jake Stringer or Jarryd Roughead type with his combination a dominant forward presence and physical and athletic inside grunt work through the middle. There is scope for Curnow to develop a similar game to Josh Kennedy at the Swans should a club decide to play him as a pure inside midfielder. But forward of centre is where I think he has the most potential, as, like most kids who have a late growth spurt (which Curnow has), he has got the height of a forward but athleticism and nous of a bloke much shorter. With his rate of development both physically and in football terms, it is likely that Curnow continues to progress and becomes one of the best players from this draft.

• Like 4

No games, don't overthink it - just pick the bloke you think will be the best footy player available at that pick.

Big bodied mids win tough footy, finals are tough footy.

Just keep that in mind...

that is true, but a glaring deficiency on our list is also the players who can dispose of the ball really well and win it themselves, Parish whilst not being big bodied has the ability to win his own football, despite also winning a fair amount of possession on the outside. He tackles hard and is a genuine competitior, a similar mould to salem on our list in that he is not necissarily the biggest body, but still is a genuine competitor.

We need quality disposal and quality footballers and Parish is one of these.

That said, I am happy with a combination of any of Parish, Curnow & Francis and I think by selecting Parish with pick 3 we give ourselves the best opportunity for that.

• Like 3

Emma Quayle did the calculations (so if I'm wrong, blame her .... and me for being too lazy to check them!) and she said that the tipping point for the Gold Coast trade was 11th next year. In other words, if we finish 11th or better next year then we win the trade, but if we finish worse then we lose.

So the tipping point for a win in this trade for us is now 14th (but still 11th for Gold Coast).

I don't follow that logic... The difference in this years points in th gc deal was 1,603 - that's the equivalent of pick 8(between picks 7&8), eg 11th is a win, 12th is. Loss. Not sure how you got from there to 14th?

fwiw, twomey reckons we could go weideman with #3 if we go for a tall, particularly as blues now hold #8 and he can't see him sliding to #10.

perhaps we're thinking weideman and mathieson?

Paul has been disinclined to draft talls/forwards previously. Would have to be very confident of any prospective draftee's potential.

• Like 2

Paul has been disinclined to draft talls/forwards previously. Would have to be very confident of any prospective draftee's potential.

Very true. He's often spoken about the risk of picking tall forwards early on.

That said, I suppose he'll back his head recruiter.

• Like 1

I think Mahoney said that they weren't sure if they'd go mid/forward or mid/mid. So there appears to be some sort of leaning towards picking midfielders early in this draft.

Curnow at 3 and a midfielder at 7 would be a great result. Curnow being able to play forward and rotate through the middle. His flexibility and size as a forward (not too big, but not undersized) would be a beautiful compliment to Hogan.

A forward line of Hogan, a rotating Curnow and a resting ruckman excites me immensely.

I think this is the biggest reason we did the GC trade in the first place. Initially it seemed there is a fair amount of risk if we finish in a low position that we've given up a strong pick next season. However, by trading down to 7 the risk is lessened and it is very likely our first pick next season is 7 or higher.

I really hope we make finals and our first pick ends up being 10-12 or something like that. Then we will have done very well in the trade, plus we would've played finals which is the main thing!

Not sure if the recording is available somewhere but on SEN last night Mahoney said pick 7 was a surprise and did not expect it to happen at all, thought we were finished at pick 10.

• Like 1

BF has some excellent junior football watchers. I'm not sure of this persons bona fides, however, they state that Curnow is a mid first and foremost.

7. Charlie Curnow - Vic Country (191 cm, 95 kg key forward/inside midfielder)

Style/Comparison: Jake Stringer

Charlie Curnow is one of the most underrated prospects in this draft and partially due to an unfortunate dislocated knee that forced him to miss the championships, has flown under the radar strongly. While many salivate over his highly rated teammates Rhys Mathieson and Darcy Parish, Curnow has quietly gone about his business rather impressively. Curnow is a strong-bodied midfielder who has starred up forward because of the lack of key forwards at the Falcons. In many games, Curnow has kicked a handful of goals and then gone into the middle and won plenty of inside ball. His style is not too dissimilar to a Jack Darling, Jake Stringer or Jarryd Roughead type with his combination a dominant forward presence and physical and athletic inside grunt work through the middle. There is scope for Curnow to develop a similar game to Josh Kennedy at the Swans should a club decide to play him as a pure inside midfielder. But forward of centre is where I think he has the most potential, as, like most kids who have a late growth spurt (which Curnow has), he has got the height of a forward but athleticism and nous of a bloke much shorter. With his rate of development both physically and in football terms, it is likely that Curnow continues to progress and becomes one of the best players from this draft

I must admit from the little I've seen so far he's the player I hope we get at pick 3 at this stage.

• Like 2

Curnow at 3 and a midfielder at 7 would be a great result. Curnow being able to play forward and rotate through the middle. His flexibility and size as a forward (not too big, but not undersized) would be a beautiful compliment to Hogan.

A forward line of Hogan, a rotating Curnow and a resting ruckman excites me immensely.

Yes, in theory, it's Curnow that excites me the most. I just haven't seen him play.