Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

HS List analysis by Gary Buckenara

barpen

He's wrong on Kent who is highly rated within the club. Unfortunately, he's injury prone and doesn't seem to ever get a decent run at it.

Stretch never wastes a disposal.

Dawes won't take us further.

Watts won't compete.

I love the prospects of King who's a highly talented forward/ruck.

It's an article that only serves to highlight that it's difficult to be fully across all 18 teams.

C-

• Like 6

As one of the people questioning Kent, my thoughts on Gawn last year were that he was being played out of position. He is a pure ruckman not a forward or forward/ruck, I think this has been proven.

Kent has had this season taken away from him with injury, next season he needs to step up. He shows promise but that's not enough, it's time for him to deliver some of the promise.

As a player Kent has assets in his pace, his booming left and his aggression. His liabilities are the accuracy of that left foot, tendency to bomb the ball (decision making), and not getting involved enough in the game.

Yeah, he's overrated for mine on current output to date. Agree with everything you say there, mate.

Why do we give Buckenara any air on this site? I'll never forget nor forgive what he did to us in 1987.

Because that was 28 years ago? Lol.

Kent is going to be a gun.. He's hard at it.. Doesn't take a backwards step..

The game he got injured he set the tempo early with his chase..

I think he really adds to our side and will be a welcome addition to the forward line next season..

Who is this Gary Buckenara, whats he ever done............... oh hang on a minute..

For a change we need some luck with injuries. If Kent can stay fit i think he will have a breakout season for us and provide some good run and carry speed plus defensive work. I think we are ok for defensive KP's but we should recruit a KPF in the draft. I see Callum Twoomey AFL website has both Weideman and Curnow around our pick 6.

I think the GWS game in Canberra was a perfect summation of Kent to date, he bought intensity, an ability to read the ball at speed, and scoring threat. All in the first half of footy. For a dissapointing

return of 1 Goal 2 Behinds, and then he completely disappeared for the rest of the game (albeit he wasnt alone in this game). He's more a tease than someone we can rely on going forward so far,

but he has plenty of raw tools to say he may get himself up to a consistent level eventually.

Met Buckenera at a draft camp presentation a couple of years back, and can tell you all that he really knows his stuff. He's a big contributor to the creation of an extraordinary dynasty. We also had a laugh about "That Kick".

Everyone get's things wrong, and Hawthorn has even as recently as last year. What's important is the strategy that minimises the effect of this; while strengthening the team. Note strengthening the team is not just about getting the best players, which though important, its also about the role players which include onfield leadership, speed, disposal, metres gained, shut down, third man up, etc. Hawthorn has been excellent at identifying potential weakness (in advance) and trading/drafting and very importantly developing for it. Until recently we may have attempted to do this, but we most definitely have not been very good at it. This is the basis of his comments, and he is pretty much right.

There is a strong future ahead in the likes of our emerging midfield (Brayshaw, Viney, Tyson and co)

There is a strong future in the primary Key Positions (Hogan, T McDonald)

There is plenty of potential talent to develop (ANB, Gawn, Petrecca, Stretch, etc)

There are some "IF's":

• Kent does need to improve, presently he is a highlights reel that demonstrates he shows can be good.
  • Dawes needs to improve or become a role player (that is not the 2nd key forward - could it be a KPB where he doesn't need to mark and his competiveness could make opposition forwards very nervous)
  • Watts needs to become more competitive for longer (He needs to develop "closing speed" which gets you to a contested possession quicker, or allows you to lay an effective crunching tackle - note closing speed really comes from competitiveness)
  • Pederson needs to improve beyond his current output of being a depth player (which does fill a role in every squad - think Cheney for the Hawks whilst there; but doesn't improve the team)
  • Improvement is required from the Casey players, because he is right in that mass changes will not deliver team balance, as it creates more gaps in the roles that need to be filled by selective (targeted) recruitment. Replacing them with just any player of slightly better ability will only provide an abundance of the same type of players; resulting in the need to re-address this in the next years draft/trade period - leading to more mass changes which then creates a continuing cycle of mass changes.

Interesting that he rated JKH, who doesn't seem to get anywhere near the credit he deserves as one of our few better kicks.

Reading into what he said, we are need another tall forward to support Hogan (I believe could be filled by T McDonald) and some pace on the Forward line (I believe Petrecca could help achieve this). Assisting Garlett and JKH/Kent will be our rotating midfielders.

The Midfield will have the grunt with Viney, Brayshaw, Tyson, Jones, VB, etc; All of whom are reasonable kicks over 30-45 metres, which is no different to Sam Mitchell, unfortunately none of them would be considered run and carry midfielders or explosive (from a pack) midfielders. There is plenty of potential to add to this midfield fleet with at least a couple of Harmes, ANB, Stretch, Petrecca, Trengove, all capable of stepping up. Unfortunately he is right about breaking the line speed. Lumbumba has it but his actually means it's not damaging and therefor effective (breaking the lines and carrying in an additional 15-20m but then floating the pass, just puts all the forwards out of position, and still allows the defenders to chop of the pass). I believe Vince's disposal could be utilised on the outside if we have a plethora of inside midfielders, would also consider Jetta playing this role - particularly if Grimes and Melksham can fulfil the small/medium back roles.

Tall backs seems okay with T Mac, Dunn and Garland but it in reality two are serviceable and the other could fill roles all over the ground. The reality is Frost hasn't done enough to be considered anything more than potential. Still the defence is more than capable of holding it's own, what it's really lacking is offensive drive. This would have to be recruited for unless Hunt steps up.

Gawn obviously needs support in the ruck, but the 2nd ruck mans role is not that of the ruck which may equate to 5-7 mins a quarter; to benefit the team their remaining time needs to benefit the team as the 3rd forward or a tall mobile rotating midfielder.

A tall, An outside player with speed, and an offensive back should help fill the most obvious gaps.

• Like 2

I think the GWS game in Canberra was a perfect summation of Kent to date, he bought intensity, an ability to read the ball at speed, and scoring threat. All in the first half of footy. For a dissapointing

return of 1 Goal 2 Behinds, and then he completely disappeared for the rest of the game (albeit he wasnt alone in this game). He's more a tease than someone we can rely on going forward so far,

but he has plenty of raw tools to say he may get himself up to a consistent level eventually.

You could say the same about teh consistency of about 40 of the 44 players on our list.

Kent is very important to our structure and is a very good player.

However I read the article on our website about his injury and I'm really worried about his fitness and ability to get back to 100% full speed going forward. Sounds like a very nasty injury.

This still takes nothing away from his talent. He is a very good player when he isn't injured.

• Like 1

A tall, An outside player with speed,

Strangely enough I know just where to get one of those !! :rolleyes:

Hasn't apologised yet....

He has no remorse.

I would like to see him kick that goal after he has been mauled by Lions and gored by wild pigs.

Then he wouldn't be so [censored] sure of himself.

I think it is fair to say he is the most evil man on earth.

• Like 1

He has no remorse.

I would like to see him kick that goal after he has been mauled by Lions and gored by wild pigs.

Then he wouldn't be so [censored] sure of himself.

I think it is fair to say he is the most evil man on earth.

And I think that's a fair enough call Biffen. I don't doubt your knowledge of world despots

He is right When he says that we have the same type of player.

We really need some speed in our midfield, I would love to see Garlett in there a bit more next season.

Edited by ILLDieADemon

Thought VandenBerg would at least get some love when completing an analysis of our list......

Or Harmes.

Totally ridiculous comparison. Gawn had shown nothing. Kent had shown plenty.

Pfft.

Gawn and Kent's trajectories are remarkably comparable. Flashes showing real ability to deliver in a role, mixed with a long tangle of injury in their early years.

I think we'd all be thrilled if Kent had a breakthrough as decisive as Gawn did, too.

• 11 months later...
3 minutes ago, KingDingAling said:

Can't access the link King,  Takes you to the subscriber page.