Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - SAM WEIDEMAN

xman97

Some other views from regular mock draft contributors...

Snoop Dog:

Melbourne - Sam Weideman (Eastern Ranges / 196cm / 91kg)

Terrific young prospect who we just didn't get to see enough of this year but the little we did was super impressive. He did show us a fair bit last year as a bottom ager and suspect had Gary Pert trying to get grandsons included in the F/S rules. Presents as the best tall forward in this draft albeit Harry McKay pretty close for mine. Sam is a natural forward unlike guys like Boyd etc who have been drafted high in previous years. I think coaches really value key forwards that haven't got their success camped in the goal square clunking marks but rather kids who understand how, when and where to lead. He has real speed and many will find it hard to close space on him once he is ahead of them. Once he has the space ahead of him he will use his long arms and good hands to clunk them and his finishing is generally pretty good albeit has scope for some improvement. The knock I have on him is his consistency but that happens a lot with young talls and his kicking at times is a bit erratic. Loads of potential for mine.

Why: I think Melbourne would be very keen to get a partner for Hogan and this kid is made to play CHF. 3-4 years time could be a terrific pairing and having blokes like Brayshaw, Petracca, Salem, Tyson, Stretch etc feeding them.

Chris25:

Sam Weideman (196cm, 91kg forward from Eastern Ranges)

Few players are dividing opinion as much as Weideman it seems. I think it would be different had he not been injured so often, I don't think it's out of the question that he would have performed better than Schache at the Championships. I think he's a smarter player and a better kick. I don't understand those saying he gets by on strength alone. That's so far from the truth.

Bishop:

Melbourne- Sam Weideman

Club: Eastern Ranges (Vic Metro)
Position: Key position forward
Height: 196cm
Weight: 94kg

Key Stats: Kicked 28 goals in 20 TAC Cup games in the last two seasons

Sam Weideman is a developing tall forward and will be the perfect partner for Jesse Hogan at the Demons. Weideman’s main strength is his marking, a skill that he has developed thanks to his great reading of the ball in the air. Weideman took seven marks in the NAB AFL Academy’s match against Northern Blues, indicating his ability to match it against AFL listed opponents. Unfortunately for Weideman, he’s spent a large chunk of the last two seasons on the sidelines with ankle issues. An ankle injury this year, set him out for five months. Last week Weideman did a testing session, where he didn’t perform as well as he would have liked. However, Weideman is on the road to recovery with his ankle and the Demons need a tall forward.

And the not so complimentary Skippos (Quigley isn't a fan of Weideman either):

Melbourne: Sam Weideman – KPF (196 cm, 94 kg, Eastern Ranges)

Sam Weideman is someone I think is overvalued by virtue of the fetishisation of key forwards. Especially ones who can mark. Which Weideman, to his credit, can. Unfortunately, that's about it. He's a poor kick and athletically leaves a lot to be desired. He also hasn't played much so the sample size to mark him down as a gun is small. But hey, if you want someone to clunk them for you, he's your man.

• Like 1

Just watched the interview on the club's website.

If he's not the most articulate 18 year old in the country, I don't who is.

Strikes me as an absolutely quality young man.

Hogan + Weideman = something to look forward to.

Will be competing for this spot with Dawes one would think.

If he gets a few subjective pronouns right he could hold his chances.

Edit(spelling/grammar)

Edited by Biffen
  • Like 1

I must admit after talking to a few ranges associated people earlier i really hoped we'd get Wied. The guy has matural courage. I am most excited about this pick up in this draft.

I know it's (probably) a typo, but I'd like to think you've just created a new expression meaning "courage beyond his years"

• Like 6

Suck it up princess. He's ours now.

The irony of this guy being part of breaking the Norm Smith curse, would be gold.

I'm not generally superstitious, but, on his 100th birthday.... Grand final 2016? Too much? Now is the time of pre-season optimism. I'll be over it round 2.

lol... Love the passion, and why not enjoy. Practicing my siphoning currently.

Just the one posting would have sufficed btw

I branded Weideman as Suss1 because he obviously comes aboard with a few questions about his niggling injuries. We've had a bad run ( npi ) with players coming into the club only to waylayed early.

He obviously has prodigious talent and I certainly hope this translates into a long and rewarding career ( for all concerned )

I wish him well and success. I wish us that success.

Cant wait for next years QB game :)

lol... Love the passion, and why not enjoy. Practicing my siphoning currently.

Just the one posting would have sufficed btw

I branded Weideman as Suss1 because he obviously comes aboard with a few questions about his niggling injuries. We've had a bad run ( npi ) with players coming into the club only to waylayed early.

He obviously has prodigious talent and I certainly hope this translates into a long and rewarding career ( for all concerned )

I wish him well and success. I wish us that success.

Cant wait for next years QB game :)

Probably year after. Don't think Weideman will play next year's QB.

• Like 1

Some other views from regular mock draft contributors...

And the not so complimentary Skippos (Quigley isn't a fan of Weideman either):

Melbourne: Sam Weideman – KPF (196 cm, 94 kg, Eastern Ranges)

Sam Weideman is someone I think is overvalued by virtue of the fetishisation of key forwards. Especially ones who can mark. Which Weideman, to his credit, can. Unfortunately, that's about it. He's a poor kick and athletically leaves a lot to be desired. He also hasn't played much so the sample size to mark him down as a gun is small. But hey, if you want someone to clunk them for you, he's your man.

Sounds like someone looking for things that aren't there.

This is just plain wrong.

He is one of the better kicks that I have seen of this years talent, has a lovely traditional style. His kicking may lack penetration, but this will come with age and development.

• Like 2

Probably year after. Don't think Weideman will play next year's QB.

NormallyI wouldnt think so either... we probably hadnt expected Brayshaw to burst onto scene and own his place either...but he did

I would think all things equal Weed would be coming into prominence in 17 save for two things possibly... We do need someone else down the front who can MARK...and Sam has put it out there he want to play1st's next season. So who knows.. If he gets fitness sorted.. we might see him...we might :)

To be honest Im a bit torn over this selection. Maybe its the "waiting" we all did for Watts, Gysberts, Cook etc to fill out, to harden up, to get fit, to stay uninjured etc . Maybe I'm just burnt by those years but it seems like waiting doesn't often amount to much. Gawn is an example of the opposite I suppose but that was quite a few years and Id all but given up on him also.

We picked up three kids we're gonna "wait" on and we have another kid we're already waiting on in King. Weideman is seriously down in fitness and bulk and I expect at least one full year in the VFL and even that's in the hope his injuries don't resurface.

Given Curnow could have immediate impact next year and has a huge tank and talent to burn Im nervous that we let another " be patient and wait" win over "AFL ready"

Im sure Taylor et al know what they're doing and researched the injury he suffered ....but I DO have a nervous feeling. Just saying.

• Like 4

Anyone else able to lip-read Murray when Sam got selected ?

When Roosy handed Sam his Guernsey, it looked to me like Murray said it's not Black & White or something to that effect.

murray would obviously love him to play for collingwood, that's only natural

murray however is great friends with barass and knowing the odds he would never get to the magpies said he would be rapt if he went to the dees

i think he will be very supportive of him at the dees. there's no great hate thing going on here

• Like 6

murray would obviously love him to play for collingwood, that's only natural

murray however is great friends with barass and knowing the odds he would never get to the magpies said he would be rapt if he went to the dees

i think he will be very supportive of him at the dees. there's no great hate thing going on here

Something many dont know is that despite there being a great rivalry between Melbourne and Collingwood ( as there ought to be ) there was back in that era a great respect for each other.

Funny you mention those two..first two pairs of boots were Ron Barrasi's...and after Weideman White diamonds....... How could I have known !! lol :rolleyes:

• Like 1

To be honest Im a bit torn over this selection. Maybe its the "waiting" we all did for Watts, Gysberts, Cook etc to fill out, to harden up, to get fit, to stay uninjured etc . Maybe I'm just burnt by those years but it seems like waiting doesn't often amount to much. Gawn is an example of the opposite I suppose but that was quite a few years and Id all but given up on him also.

We picked up three kids we're gonna "wait" on and we have another kid we're already waiting on in King. Weideman is seriously down in fitness and bulk and I expect at least one full year in the VFL and even that's in the hope his injuries don't resurface.

Given Curnow could have immediate impact next year and has a huge tank and talent to burn Im nervous that we let another " be patient and wait" win over "AFL ready"

Im sure Taylor et al know what they're doing and researched the injury he suffered ....but I DO have a nervous feeling. Just saying.

I'll be only 100% convinced when he takes the field in a continuous fashion. The talent /ability is there in spades....its just that niggle.... I dont like niggles in footy players.

But he's here, he's ours ( and not theirs..lol ) so go Weed...Go Dees

• Like 1

Linking the name Weideman with Melbourne is a bit like linking the name Barassi with Collingwood. Polar opposites.

Lets hope the Dees checked his blood type, did a genetic screen and used hypnosis or the Rorschach test to ensure that all traces of disordered black and white thinking can be removed.

I have a splendid vision of a wet Grand Final against Collingwood when the Pies go in as raging favourites only to be softened up and beaten into submission by a team of Melbourne enforcers led by The Weed and Hulk Hogan. The sadistic pleasure would be something special.

• Like 6

I don't quite get your thinking here. I would feel more like that is was Essendon who have picked Parish who looks very good but so slight and there only midfield in their first 4 picks in the top 30. Oliver has played well against men and shone at junior lever, big bodied and looks likely to play in his first year. Weideman I think was selected on gut feel as a very good footballer who has been injured. but who knows he may get to have a full season for Casey. and as a tall with Dawes and Hogan ahead of him, is that such a bad thing?

We are picking bigger bodies so we don't have to wait for years.

With the interchange cap on the way down I'm also a bit nervous about Wiedemans "red zone" endurance compared to Curnow's elite endurance. But if they were evenly matched overall then you can't pick the kid who is stupid enough to drink drive, and drink drive the week before the draft. Wiedeman's character seems flawless. Let's hope he can get a clear run at it and build his tank.

• Like 1