Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - BEN KENNEDY

MadAsHell

We have enough good VFL level players.

Not saying he won't be a good pick up but I would be more interested in the reasons he couldn't break into the senior team on the back of good form.

Started on the back foot in terms of fitness due to glandular fever, so was probably not at full running capacity for most of the season. I gather there were no more sinister reasons, just didn't have the tank to run hard enough both ways this year. Had previously worked hard on increasing pressure acts and had been coming along well there.

• Like 1

The sub absolutely killed him this year aswell.

Was just looking at his career stats, and his average time spent on ground is 54%. No wonder he hasn't developed as the Pies would have liked. (Not saying its the only reason but it cant help a young player)

Thank christ the sub rule is gone.

Edited by Petraccattack

Was just looking at his career stats, and his average time spent on ground is 54%. No wonder he hasn't developed as the Pies would have liked. (Not saying its the only reason but it cant help a young player)

Thank christ the sub rule is gone.

Exactly. I was talking to my pie mate supporter the other day and he said since he got drafted Bucks has not given him any stability at all. Always starting as a sub and its frustrated alot of supporters because he absolutely kills it in the VFL yet bucks refuses to just settle him at AFL level.

He was an absolute jet at under 18 level being a 2 time all australian. What we lack is that Luke Dahlhouse/Devon Smith type player who can play forward but also push into the midfield and give us that ball winning ability and break away speed from the contest. He has showed alot more at AFL level then Toumpas to be honest so personally think he has more upside.

• Like 3

i agree, i think he's the sort of player who will be refreshed no matter where he lands as he has the skill, the desire, the temperament and with the abolition of the sub rule the opportunity to become a dalhaus / breust / zorko style player who can switch between forward and mid, with good ball-winning ability and a bit of toe.

one question remains about his skills under pressure.

Edited by DemonAndrew

He and Melksham offer inside midfield depth that we need. I don't expect either to finish top 5 in our B&F. With fewer interchanges and no sub, Jones, Viney, Vince and Tyson may be able to spend time rotating of half back or up forward. This will allow the likes of Stretch, Harmes, JKH and ANB more time to develop at VFL level, and put less physical pressure on Brayshaw and Salem. And it also means that the we may not see the likes of Grimes and M.Jones getting game time.

He and Melksham offer inside midfield depth that we need. I don't expect either to finish top 5 in our B&F. With fewer interchanges and no sub, Jones, Viney, Vince and Tyson may be able to spend time rotating of half back or up forward. This will allow the likes of Stretch, Harmes, JKH and ANB more time to develop at VFL level, and put less physical pressure on Brayshaw and Salem. And it also means that the we may not see the likes of Grimes and M.Jones getting game time.

I've seen this sentiment around a bit. I reckon Stretch needs to keep playing at the top level. I was really impressed with his form by the end of the season. He's in the Brayshaw and Salem category for mine. Doesn't have the same class, but fits in and plays a solid best 22 role.

I'd leave Harmes, JKH and ANB developing at Casey for a season ideally. Reckon ANB will push pretty hard for our best 22 by the end of the year as well. Not sold on JKH. It's a big year for him.

• Like 1

Just asked a bro-in-law. He's a pie ( all bloody are lol)

This one knows his clubs list though.

His words:

"Kennedy is good but not champagne. Handy but not a Jones ( chunk)

Better than fringe..goes ok"

• Like 1

Just asked a bro-in-law. He's a pie ( all bloody are lol)

This one knows his clubs list though.

His words:

"Kennedy is good but not champagne. Handy but not a Jones ( chunk)

Better than fringe..goes ok"

Just asked colleague at work who's been to every Collingwood game since 1974.

Reckons he's not far off the worst player on the primary list.

What do they say about different strokes etc...

• Like 1

Just asked colleague at work who's been to every Collingwood game since 1974.

Reckons he's not far off the worst player on the primary list.

What do they say about different strokes etc...

Don't know your co-worker, but I'll take Jason Taylor's view over theirs.

• Like 3

Don't know your co-worker, but I'll take Jason Taylor's view over theirs.

Me too.

But I'm still scarred by that shot for goal against W Bulldogs in rd 17 (Etihad roof closed) when he failed to make the distance from 35 mtrs out.

A bit over recruiting NQR players that yoyo between Casey and MFC.

If we get him I hope he proves me wrong. He has pace which we need.

• Like 1

Ive no idea if the kid is any good. Just thought id ask the 'family'

Given one other 'outlaw' husband of wifes sister actually played for the filfh and that entire side of family ( wife included ) are maggies i thought id get their opinion.

None rave about him. None suggest hes a spud either.

All with cup of salt :)

Me too.

But I'm still scarred by that shot for goal against W Bulldogs in rd 17 (Etihad roof closed) when he failed to make the distance from 35 mtrs out.

A bit over recruiting NQR players that yoyo between Casey and MFC.

If we get him I hope he proves me wrong. He has pace which we need.

weve a few who've struggled at that distance :rolleyes: just saying lol

Conversion is a big issue for us as a team. See the Hawks kicking for goal today!!! Bail had a massive issue with conversion - missed to many gettable shots for goal. Can't afford that with limited touches. If Kennedy is better at conversion, ball use and accumulation then pick him up and give him a go.

• Like 1

Just spent my grand final day with two Collingwood supporters (I know!) and both of them rated Kennedy and would be disappointed to see him go. I'm not entirely convinced but he seems worthy of a genuine crack at AFL footy.

Yeah, he can seriously play. Kennedy would be a great pick up. I know a lot of people are skeptical about him, but he can find the pill. He is similar to Viney. I think Kennedy is massively underrated, he would be a great pick up, and I think he will have an immediate impact.

I've seen this sentiment around a bit. I reckon Stretch needs to keep playing at the top level. I was really impressed with his form by the end of the season. He's in the Brayshaw and Salem category for mine. Doesn't have the same class, but fits in and plays a solid best 22 role.

I'd leave Harmes, JKH and ANB developing at Casey for a season ideally. Reckon ANB will push pretty hard for our best 22 by the end of the year as well. Not sold on JKH. It's a big year for him.

Certainly a huge year of challenges for JKH in paticular......showed quite a bit of promise year 1 but a very ordinary year 2. Hopefully "just second year blues" but ?????

I will be interested to see just how he takes on the challenge: he seems a pretty strong character so here's hoping

As far as Harmes and ANB go - I will be happy for the FD to play them as they see fit. They both contributed strongly at big moments in important games in 2015, when many I suspect would not have expected them to debut.

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 2

Mahoney mentioned today that wr've met with him and been keeping an eye on him since he was drafted.

Sounds like a formality he'll be in the red and blue.

• Like 3

I loved Kennedy in the juniors and thought Collingwood were KOTD when they managed to snare Grundy at 18 and Kennedy at 19. They then picked up another SA Broomhead at 20 with the Dawes pick.

I also accept he's had limited opportunities, because Collingwood have so many midgets and he's often been used as the sub, but he's looked out of his depth at AFL level. Poor endurance and short unreliable kick.

That said, if the club likes him I'II back their judgement.

Edited by ProDee