Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2015 Player Review - # 4 Jack Watts

Demonland

It's always a nice change when someone is desperate to play for us.

Having said that, he needs to do a lot more to prove that he is "desperate". He has taken some steps this year, but he's about to hit his prime, and the excuses have all run dry.

exactly

a little more desperation on field please Jack

Here is hoping, despite the opinion of most of the germs on here, he is best 22 and an important player.

Explain to me why you're personally affronted by people that don't rate Watts and would be happy to move him on.

• Like 4

1. Has to learn to run with the ball (especially when playing in the middle)

2. Could improve his leading and marking

3. Just has to chase harder and fling himself at opponents

4. He had a pretty good season but he should no longer be seen as an essential player (providing our list gets stronger).

5. I still want him at the club

• Like 1

Explain to me why you're personally affronted by people that don't rate Watts and would be happy to move him on.

I meant to write online rather than on here but auto correct came in, although a few people on this site would fit under the germ category.

Jack Watts is often used as a whipping boy for lack of effort or just about anything that the MFC does wrong on game day. There is nothing more frustrating than sitting on here and reading examples of a skill error made by Watts and it being described as horrendous when execution errors made by other players are allowed.

Match day at the ground is even worse when he is often lamented and bood by Melbourne supporters which is absolutely disgusting.

Do I think he has had periods of play where his effort could be questioned, yes. But I also have seen games where he has made continual repeat efforts that hardly get a mention as opposed to a lapse.

Personally I think he is pivotal for our success as we have probably only 4-5 players who can dispose of the ball at an elite level and he is one of them. But at the end of the days he has flaws but he is hardly as bad as everyone suggests and it is just because he is easy to dig the boot into due to being a #1 draft pick that it happens.

• Like 3

I meant to write online rather than on here but auto correct came in, although a few people on this site would fit under the germ category.

Jack Watts is often used as a whipping boy for lack of effort or just about anything that the MFC does wrong on game day. There is nothing more frustrating than sitting on here and reading examples of a skill error made by Watts and it being described as horrendous when execution errors made by other players are allowed.

Match day at the ground is even worse when he is often lamented and bood by Melbourne supporters which is absolutely disgusting.

Do I think he has had periods of play where his effort could be questioned, yes. But I also have seen games where he has made continual repeat efforts that hardly get a mention as opposed to a lapse.

Personally I think he is pivotal for our success as we have probably only 4-5 players who can dispose of the ball at an elite level and he is one of them. But at the end of the days he has flaws but he is hardly as bad as everyone suggests and it is just because he is easy to dig the boot into due to being a #1 draft pick that it happens.

The fact he is our most heavily scrutinised player by the media and general public brings out the protective instincts of some people, which I can understand. The problem is that it often leads to pointing the finger at the wrong people, i.e. those who just view Watts as any other player and see the obvious flaws in his game. Then we lead to namecalling ("germs", "haters") and it's all downhill from there.

I dare say we all like Watts. He's a great person whose love for the club has never been under question. But sooner or later you have to look at this rationally. He's 25 next year. He finished 18th in the Best and Fairest having played just under a full season. The club votes on that one, not the fans. If he doesn't bring consistent performance and effort next year he is going to fall outside the best 22. That's the simple equation.

I hope he does. I always have hoped he does. But I also want to see Roos back up his call for 22 competitors. If Watts wants to be one of those, great.

Edited by P-man
  • Like 1

I thought Watts' work as 3rd man up during the year was very good. Got me thinking that he could be the answer to the teams need for a second ruck forward. A pre-season wrestlng with Spencil wouldn't do him any harm either.

• Like 1

I'm hoping that he is being looked at as a potential trade is the kick up the bum Jack needs. It might be a bigger wake up call if we shopped him around and no one was interested. If that's so then it's not just the haters who haven't rated his last six years. When it gets to that point then there's only one way to shut them up.
Jack has ability but it's always been between the ears.

I'm hoping that he is being looked at as a potential trade is the kick up the bum Jack needs. It might be a bigger wake up call if we shopped him around and no one was interested. If that's so then it's not just the haters who haven't rated his last six years. When it gets to that point then there's only one way to shut them up.

Jack has ability but it's always been between the ears.

You're absolutely correct about where his issues lie, but you have to consider the fact that perhaps finding out that no other clubs are interested in him will only further decrease his confidence. I hope that this isn't the case as I've always been in the group that has defended him, but I think Jack is the type that responds to the carrot, not the stick.

• Like 1

You're absolutely correct about where his issues lie, but you have to consider the fact that perhaps finding out that no other clubs are interested in him will only further decrease his confidence. I hope that this isn't the case as I've always been in the group that has defended him, but I think Jack is the type that responds to the carrot, not the stick.

He's just come off his best season, and, I hope, a realisation that he does not (because he cannot) have to carry a huge load for the Demons to be successful but that doesn't mean he can't be a part of that success.

He's a third tall fwd, high HFF, wing, or all of those positions and that is not something that is terribly important to a footy side.

And that is why clubs are not after him for what we are asking.

• Like 3

I have said it before and this is prove a point,no team in the final 8 would make a play for him let alone teams outside the 8. If he has the nerve to drop himself from the seniors then why doesn't he sack himself from the team. Please if there is a god, let some miserable other footy club pick him up. It about time we shut the DAWES too.

I have said it before and this is prove a point,no team in the final 8 would make a play for him let alone teams outside the 8. If he has the nerve to drop himself from the seniors then why doesn't he sack himself from the team. Please if there is a god, let some miserable other footy club pick him up. It about time we shut the DAWES too.

Average comment! What builds character in a team and industry is people who self analyse and are able to set themselves "Benchmarks" In performance!

I applaud Jack Watts for initiating the moves he has done so far!

Sheeit the anchor weighs so Mightily against this bloke!!

Thrown to the wolves in his first game, been te whipping boy for so long!

Easily the most talented player on the list !

The fact that he places "Team" Values regarding his own game to actually "Drop himself" Speaks volumes for his integrity and volition!

Ok, may not be everyone's cup of tea, But by Christ if he goes elsewhere .... Somewhere like Freo, Hawks or /? Watch him go beserk! and leave us again with red faces

"Frawley" anyone?

First post for a while! Just in support!

Might also be the last for a while!

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 2

Those who STILL think Jack Watts is a one grab pack crasher, dead eyed dick shot for goal , quick bulldozer type mid need to stop watching his pre draft highlights

He is an Outside Player and always will be

In his first 2 seasons it was starting to get obvious that Watts was never going to be a Carey, Brown, Hart type

You could claim that he is a Third Tall either end of the ground but IMO he is best suited to the Wing

On a Wing his speed and height combination would be hard to match up on

IMO WING is the most prominent 1 on 1 position on the ground throughout the duration of a game

He does have a football brain and makes good decisions but he tends to lack URGENCY at times

In a Team that spreads really well he can be an asset turning defence into attack

Gone are the days when players only run one way

He needs to improve his endurance as the restriction to rotations in 2016 will make it harder for him

I hope he stays

• Like 1

I thought Watts' work as 3rd man up during the year was very good. Got me thinking that he could be the answer to the teams need for a second ruck forward. A pre-season wrestlng with Spencil wouldn't do him any harm either.

I agree, we don't utilise his height and decent leap. Once Watts starts kicking goals, we can be a much more competitive team. If we played him as a forward (Isn't that what he was meant to be anyway) for 3 games I'm confident he'd kick 5-6 goals. If not, then back to the drawing board.

Average comment! What builds character in a team and industry is people who self analyse and are able to set themselves "Benchmarks" In performance!

I applaud Jack Watts for initiating the moves he has done so far!

Sheeit the anchor weighs so Mightily against this bloke!!

Thrown to the wolves in his first game, been te whipping boy for so long!

Easily the most talented player on the list !

The fact that he places "Team" Values regarding his own game to actually "Drop himself" Speaks volumes for his integrity and volition!

Ok, may not be everyone's cup of tea, But by Christ if he goes elsewhere .... Somewhere like Freo, Hawks or /? Watch him go beserk! and leave us again with red faces

"Frawley" anyone?

First post for a while! Just in support!

Might also be the last for a while!

Seriously????

Ggf you hypocritical moron!

Seriously????

Ggf you hypocritical moron!

you were doing so well earlier in the thread, and now this? i really don't get it? this comment is harsh and needless. why?

we really need a dislike button.

the thick plottens

an odd development if true..

whatever.......