Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Watt's going on?

Harry Plopper

Hmm not something to write home about is it.

Not at all Dazzle, especially this season, Salem played 10 games this season and polled more votes than Watts

• Like 2

Source is a current player (mate) spoke with him at B&F.

Grimes on trade table, Howe 100% gone, Garland likely to go.

Club talking to Melksham / Redden

None of that comes as any great surprise... except Melksham. Competitive and has pace, but also has a terrible haircut.

I think all parties would benefit form this if it comes about... Watts for a top ten pick - pen please.

• Like 1

Happy enough for Jack to move on.Hate to think it would be for ANYONE from drugland. Please tell me this is some dark humour

• Like 1

The only disappointment from tonight was that Jack, after having his supposed 'best' season, couldn't crack it for a top ten finish in the B&F.

Something has to give eventually. Jack isn't as bad an influence as Sylvia was but he is heading down the same career trajectory as Col: that of a wasted talent.

Top 10 ?

The dud came 18th.

I'll be very surprised if he hasn't played his last game at the MFC.

Ever since Jack came to Melbourne as No1 pick there has been so..so...so many Jack Watts threads that it's not funny

Some love him.....Some hate him.......

Every thread has the same arguments for both sides.

I like Jack and I want him to be the footballer that I think he can be.

But I now believe in the footy dept that we have now.....So I will leave it up to them.

I don't think I have seen such a malinened player in all my years of supporting this club.

• Like 5

Roos promise to supporters last night was that the team will be full of competitors next year. Jackson said 2016 is still about winning hard ball and being competitive. Hogan, Viney types and I can see Jack being in trouble as he I don't think he fits the mould of that competitive animal.

• Like 2

Bossdog...how is he maligned?

Whilst there is ample criticism, I would think very little is spiteful or unnecessarily mean spirited. Most just call it as they see it.

The unfortunate reality of much that is written about Jack is that it's a reasonable facsimile of his efforts and results to date.

Edited by beelzebub

Bossdog...how is he maligned?

Whilst there is ample criticism, I would think very little is spiteful or unnecessarily mean spirited. Most just call it as they see it.

The unfortunate reality of much that is written about Jack is that it's a reasonable facsimile of his efforts and results to date.

There are plenty of other MFC players who have been no better than Watts who get far less heat here. Even if we leave aside the spiteful and mean spirited (of which there is more than a 'little'), the extraordinary level of heat repetitively focussed on Watts is effectively maligning him regardless of the factual basis of what is written. Doubtless it is because we all held such high hopes and have been disappointed.

But many of us are sick of the relentless posts putting the boot into him - every second thread somehow ends up bringing Watts' poor performance into it. It even got into the discussion of last night's final with a couple of posters taking the opportunity to say Watts' would be a waste of space in such a high pressure final. Perhaps so, but most of us could think of a few other current players who would be the same.

• Like 5

The sad fact is that Jack has not lived up to supporters high expectations of him. He is very talented when he has the ball in hand, but does not have the killer instinct to go in and get the hard ball, not really a chaser and not a significant tackler. He will work well with a team that can deliver the ball to him because he is a reasonably good mark and kick. He will probably play finals footy before his Melbourne team mates if he is traded.

I wish him all the best whether he stays or goes as he has tried in his way, it is just not in is personal makeup to do the hard things.

• Like 3

Garland likely to go?

Whose decision? Club's or his?

Would be very disappointed to see him leave.

I agree I wouldn't be happy to see him go, with Tommy Mac our key defender I don't think we have much coverage for him if he goes down. Garland may not be a gorilla defender but he's most good one on one.

I feel Watts is on the outer at the club, his round 22 non selection shows that for me. It's sad because I think he could've been a fantastic player for us, but combinations of factors have worked against that happening. I can see him being successful as a cherry on top player at another club, maybe a Geelong.

• Like 1

Watts without doubt polarises many. I would suggest that the fodder of nearly all that is surmised eminates from what

happens on the field ( where it matters)

Only one person causes this. He wears #4

He came 18th in club voting this year. Hes dropped himself and been dropped.

A rarity in having an abundance of skill,ability and decision making.

Means squat if its effectively without affect.

For reasons best known to Jack playing footy for the MFC just doesn't gel. Thats a real shame and no doubt disappointing for the lad ( it certainly is for us supporters)

Competition at elite levels is both demanding and ruthless in adjudication.

In black and white (pardon ) your either part of a solution or part of a problem.

Im now convinced the best thing for all is for Jack to reboot at another club. Hell have the monkey off his back and can start anew.

Is that maligning him ? For mine its just a matter of fact (literally..as the facts are results to date ) assessment.

It's about the club.

• Like 1

The Jack Watts discussion could be just another condemnation for the unreliable drafting system we have ... the truth is that Jack wasn't or isn't "supposed" to be a top AFL footballer (as a matter of course) Those having a high forecast of him based on his draft pick number need to start re-thinking how they view things.

He was just a standout talented junior - where his football went from there was anyone's guess. Those high forecasts came about because of a belief in those who believe that all junior form is a great guide. That form is not a great guide when trying to forecast future champions and cannot be relied upon. The results across the board are far too hit and miss.

The amount of standout juniors who can't cut it at league level bears out the above.

And the development argument is often a futile one too - many players max out according to their own ability, drive and ambition. A coach can only do so much. Many of the failed high draft picks bear that out too.

It's a system issue ... we pick these kids at too early an age to be expecting foolproof results.

Jack isn't a disappointment per se - I just see him as a product of an unreliable system. The same argument could be used for Morton, McLean, Sylvia and hundreds of other high draft picks or first round draft picks that have turned out to be far less than standout AFL players. The pattern is there for all to see but none are so blind who refuse to see.

Sure, Jack is highly skillful but so what .... plenty of other highly skilled footballers have struggled in the big time - they're a dime a dozen. I can understand those wanting to lash out but those doing that might as well be howling at the moon. Nothing is going to change until the system is overhauled. And the system may not change in the foreseeable future either.

The good news is that our luck seems to be turning with our top end picks ... that doesn't surprise though. Whenever there is a 'Hit and Miss' aspect outcomes can become cyclical as a matter of course. Richmond and other teams went through the same sort of process before we did.

Again, I'm not making excuses for Watts - he is what he is and is almost certainly never going to be the player that people wanted him to be. The disappointment comes because many assumed Jack was going to become an A grader - I never assume when it comes to drafting.

Drafting is not all luck and it's not a total lottery either ... but drafting does have a lot of flaws.

• Like 2

Hogan is NOT a 1st year player. Hes had to overcome a bit just to get going.

He seems pretty together.

Whatever one may say about Hogan (on a Watts thread or any other thread), "He seems pretty..." just doesn't cut it. :-)

• Like 1

Roos promise to supporters last night was that the team will be full of competitors next year. Jackson said 2016 is still about winning hard ball and being competitive. Hogan, Viney types and I can see Jack being in trouble as he I don't think he fits the mould of that competitive animal.

sounds like Roosy has tried, & has run out of patience & time with some he couldn't convince, to "give all"

so in his time frame, they have to move on, so he can hand over a list that is top shape, ready to be taken forward.

I think Mr 'Mortein' Roos has cleaned the place up, so now its over to those who don't want to clean up they're acts

325375-louie-the-fly.jpg

If GARLAND leaves so be it,if GARLAND stay his standards will have to lift because of the talent we will have available in 2016. Lets compare Rivers and Frawley to Garland,all three played together at the Demons in the past.Perhaps a triple dead heat ! Rivers went to Geelong basically to cover for Scarlett's retirement and was just average to put it mildly.Frawley was almost the worst performer when the Hawks v West Coast and don't be surprised if he is dropped next week.Incidently we got the better deal by a long shot.If GARLAND stays he may end up like GRIMES, a regular Casey player.I wish him all the best.

The other rumour at the B&F was that garland was about to re sign a contract and stay. Too many whispers, and being put up for trade and actually leaving is entirely different just ask Jack Trengove.

• Like 3