Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Adam Goodes

picket fence

Totally disliked Tony Shaw, Chris Lewis, Stephen Milne, Barry Hall & Lindsay Thomas on the field because of their sniping & staging but I appreciated they were good players for their respective teams.

Goodes is in exactly the same boat.

On the other hand love (& loved) watching Mathew Richardson, Eddie Betts, Simon Black, Peter Matera & Mickey O'Loughlin even though they all broke Melbourne's heart at times. .

I thought it was great entertainment - he's got some nice moves. It was sort of like an individual "haka" and I loved it.

Brightened up what was an otherwise totally one-sided game. I laughed at the way Bruce kept trying to talk Carlton up. The actual game was over half way through the first quarter.

Goodes has had a fantastic career and he's always brought individual brilliance to our sport. We need more who can express themselves like Goodes.

As for the booing - these things happen. There might be some racial connotations but I see it more as people seeing him as some sort of villain - and there's always a need for a villain.

... Here it is again for those who haven't seen it

• Like 5

What is it about the word 'you' that escapes your understanding? You made a claim about being called a racist. You weren't, not by anyone on this thread anyway. Appropriating the allegation is in fact attempting the same posturing that you're accusing Goodes of (and, bizarrely, Mitch Clark. How the hell did he get into the conversation?)

I've bolded the relevant part, because you must have missed my clarification the first time. I was speaking generally about the way Goodes came out and labelled people that boo him as racists. At no point did I even refer to posters on this board, otherwise I would've quoted them the way I'm quoting you now. Maybe I should've been clearer in my initial post that I wasn't referring to any posters on DL, but I've clarified this and yet you keep singling me out.

I also spelled out the parallel to Hawks fans booing Clark in round one, which was treated similarly by the media. I was drawing attention to the fact that some people cite hot topic issues such as gender, race, mental illness, sexuality, etc. to mask other criticisms people may have about their character. Clark and his depression, though not directly related to Goodes and racism, was simply an interesting parallel with respect to trial by the media and I thought it worth mentioning in a thread about broader societal issues. I don't agree that's a "bizarre" point to raise, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Edited by Lamashtu
  • Like 1

Not linked to racism at all....

"Racist vandals have attacked the Wikipedia page of Adam Goodes with monkey pictures after his post-goal Indigenous war dance sparked a debate about racism in football."

From The Age today.

• Like 2

"Racist vandals have attacked the Wikipedia page of Adam Goodes with monkey pictures after his post-goal Indigenous war dance sparked a debate about racism in football."

From The Age today.

Anyone with a shred of intellect would agree that's an abhorrent example of racism. Goodes is an easy target because he puts himself out there and speaks his mind. A lot of racists would take issue with his war cry because they are racists, and a lot of non-racists might take issue with his war cry because they lacked context. Clearly, plenty of viewers loved it as well, and enjoy the colour Goodes brings to the game.

On the surface, watching a player celebrate a goal like that when they're 50 points up against the league's worst team looks unsportsmanlike. I think punters having no context of what they were seeing probably blew up the situation, just as people might be confused seeing the intimidating Haka for the first time if they didn't know its rich history. Mimicking throwing a spear at opposition supporters appears fairly aggressive from a player, and we've never seen anything quite like that in AFL (that I can recall?) For that reason, I find it understandable for people to be a bit taken aback.

I just disagree with the media line that the situation has no shades of grey: boo or dislike Goodes? You're racist. It's far more layered than that, and if nothing else it has sparked a lot of healthy (and some unhealthy) discussion. There's nothing bad about that!

Edited by Lamashtu

I've bolded the relevant part, because you must have missed my clarification the first time. I was speaking generally about the way Goodes came out and labelled people that boo him as racists. At no point did I even refer to posters on this board, otherwise I would've quoted them the way I'm quoting you now. Maybe I should've been clearer in my initial post that I wasn't referring to any posters on DL, but I've clarified this and yet you keep singling me out.

I also spelled out the parallel to Hawks fans booing Clark in round one, which was treated similarly by the media. I was drawing attention to the fact that some people cite hot topic issues such as gender, race, mental illness, sexuality, etc. to mask other criticisms people may have about their character. Clark and his depression, though not directly related to Goodes and racism, was simply an interesting parallel with respect to trial by the media and I thought it worth mentioning in a thread about broader societal issues. I don't agree that's a "bizarre" point to raise, but you're entitled to your opinion.

This is what you said:

"I'm sick of being labelled a racist because I don't like Adam Goodes"

You weren't talking generally. You were making claims about something said about you. You said it on this thread. If it referred to specific accusations made elsewhere it was your obligation to say so, otherwise any reader was entitled to assume from the context that you were talking about an accusation made on this or some related Demonland thread.

As for the Clark point, go back and read your first reference to him. Gratuitous and irrelevant. I was being diplomatic calling it bizarre.

I'm offended as a football fan that the media are driving this racist angle. No one else in the comp gets booed based on the colour of their skin, why is goodes different?

He gets booed like heaps of players do that are arrogant, get paid too many soft free kicks and just seems like a bit of a di-ck.

• Like 3

I'm offended as a football fan that the media are driving this racist angle. No one else in the comp gets booed based on the colour of their skin, why is goodes different?

He gets booed like heaps of players do that are arrogant, get paid too many soft free kicks and just seems like a bit of a di-ck.

Agree. I don't like Adam Goodes and it's not because of race. Frankly the race card crap that is being pedalled is another great example of the ridiculous 'walking on eggshells' approach of our pathetic media.

I am certain there are some elements that attack Goodes because of his race and that is abhorrent. But there are plenty of indigenous players that don't get boo-ed at the footy as there are plenty of white players that get boo-ed like Ballantyne.

Here is a list of reasons why people like me don't like Goodes:

1. He has a history of staging and getting a soft ride from the umps

2. He has had numerous examples of sliding into a contest on his knees and hurting a player on the ground. The tribunal has been pathetic at punishing him for this.

3. He reaction to the 13yo girl was frankly pathetic and smacked of grandstanding. No-one can defend the girl except to say that she was 13. She was named and shamed and it was largely to do with how Goodes handled the matter. It was grandstanding at its worst.

4. The McGuire incident. I'm no McGuire fan and he stuffed up suggesting they get Goodes to help promote Kong. But McGuire bent over backwards to try and right the wrong. Goodes in another show of petulant grandstanding refused to accept the apology

5. The speeches he gave after receiving the Australian of the Year were graceless, divisive, inappropriate, inaccurate and tarnished the good will of the community in having him as our choice for AOTY. It was in total ill-taste and vilified white Australians. He accused all of our ancestors of "rape, murder, theft and slaughter". He accused us of having a racist constitution and that indigenous people in Australia today don't have the opportunities that white people have - clearly ignoring the obvious irony of him being a millionaire football player that has done alright. He could have used the platform to lead and bring people together and urge his fellow indigenous Australians to work with us to help improve indigenous living standards.

I don't like Adam Goodes and it has nothing to do with the colour of his skin.

• Like 3

What jnrmac said. The war dance was a choice piece of self aggrandisement. Arrogant ,self serving dick head. You can find them in all races.

What jnrmac said. The war dance was a choice piece of self aggrandisement. Arrogant ,self serving [censored] head. You can find them in all races.

Same reason people make posts like you just made.

He accused us of having a racist constitution and that indigenous people in Australia today don't have the opportunities that white people have - clearly ignoring the obvious irony of him being a millionaire football player that has done alright.

That is the point Goodes was making, football shouldn't be the only way for his people to get ahead in this country.

Regardless of if you feel that way or not, I don't claim to understand your beliefs, but it doesn't change that our indigenous population are treated as 2nd class citizens

His talent has given him a platform to speak out against what he and thousands of other indigenous people feel, this has happened throughout the world multiple times, people hate because someone challenges racism, but, if it changes 5 out of 100 minds, it is worth it.

• Like 3

That is the point Goodes was making, football shouldn't be the only way for his people to get ahead in this country.

Regardless of if you feel that way or not, I don't claim to understand your beliefs, but it doesn't change that our indigenous population are treated as 2nd class citizens

His talent has given him a platform to speak out against what he and thousands of other indigenous people feel, this has happened throughout the world multiple times, people hate because someone challenges racism, but, if it changes 5 out of 100 minds, it is worth it.

It has nothing to do with this argument. Its about why people are boo-ing him.

“I don’t think we ever want to see it again"

screams "I am white, I don't get it..."

get over it Ed, this ain't a provincial micks vs prodos game, this is a multicultural game....

• Like 2

From The Age today.

It's definitely got to do with race. But it's because HE'S racially divisive.

• Like 1

This is what you said:

"I'm sick of being labelled a racist because I don't like Adam Goodes"

You weren't talking generally. You were making claims about something said about you. You said it on this thread. If it referred to specific accusations made elsewhere it was your obligation to say so, otherwise any reader was entitled to assume from the context that you were talking about an accusation made on this or some related Demonland thread.

As for the Clark point, go back and read your first reference to him. Gratuitous and irrelevant. I was being diplomatic calling it bizarre.

Clearly you have some kind of agenda against me because the quote you refer to is entirely general. Once again, if someone on here had called me racist why on earth wouldn't I have quoted them? It was my first post in this thread so why on earth would anyone have even suggested as much without me making a comment in the first place?

It's clearly interpretation. It's your interpretation that I was referring to posters on here and I'm stating for the third time that your interpretation was incorrect, as well as apologising if my initial post was unclear. If you want to get into semantics about grammar then go ahead, but I've cleared up the issue and you're the only person here continuing to argue the point.

Ridiculous comment... care to back it up with some evidence?

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 1

Spot on as usual Pro-Dee, exactly the level I expected from you. Why can't Goodes just keep his mouth shut? Stop standing up for his race. Sure they've had their country taken over, their culture and history destroyed, their children taken from them, their communities shut down, but why does he have to remind us of that? Can't he just be a dumb footballer and relieve himself on bars and beat his wife like the rest of "us"? He needs to fit in better or else we'll send him back on the boat he came in on....

• Like 2

Ok then, so it's his fault that his Wikipedia page was changed to include pictures of apes? Typical blaming the victim mentality. Nice one.

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 1

Spot on as usual Pro-Dee, exactly the level I expected from you. Why can't Goodes just keep his mouth shut? Stop standing up for his race. Sure they've had their country taken over, their culture and history destroyed, their children taken from them, their communities shut down, but why does he have to remind us of that? Can't he just be a dumb footballer and relieve himself on bars and beat his wife like the rest of "us"? He needs to fit in better or else we'll send him back on the boat he came in on....

I thought better of you Stu. Didn't pick you for a wife beater or one who would "relieve himself on (sic) bars"!

• Like 1

I thought better of you Stu. Didn't pick you for a wife beater or one who would "relieve himself on (sic) bars"!

You're not the sharpest tool in the shed, but a tool nonetheless.

• Like 1

Agree. I don't like Adam Goodes and it's not because of race. Frankly the race card crap that is being pedalled is another great example of the ridiculous 'walking on eggshells' approach of our pathetic media.

I am certain there are some elements that attack Goodes because of his race and that is abhorrent. But there are plenty of indigenous players that don't get boo-ed at the footy as there are plenty of white players that get boo-ed like Ballantyne.

Here is a list of reasons why people like me don't like Goodes:

1. He has a history of staging and getting a soft ride from the umps

2. He has had numerous examples of sliding into a contest on his knees and hurting a player on the ground. The tribunal has been pathetic at punishing him for this.

3. He reaction to the 13yo girl was frankly pathetic and smacked of grandstanding. No-one can defend the girl except to say that she was 13. She was named and shamed and it was largely to do with how Goodes handled the matter. It was grandstanding at its worst.

4. The McGuire incident. I'm no McGuire fan and he stuffed up suggesting they get Goodes to help promote Kong. But McGuire bent over backwards to try and right the wrong. Goodes in another show of petulant grandstanding refused to accept the apology

5. The speeches he gave after receiving the Australian of the Year were graceless, divisive, inappropriate, inaccurate and tarnished the good will of the community in having him as our choice for AOTY. It was in total ill-taste and vilified white Australians. He accused all of our ancestors of "rape, murder, theft and slaughter". He accused us of having a racist constitution and that indigenous people in Australia today don't have the opportunities that white people have - clearly ignoring the obvious irony of him being a millionaire football player that has done alright. He could have used the platform to lead and bring people together and urge his fellow indigenous Australians to work with us to help improve indigenous living standards.

I don't like Adam Goodes and it has nothing to do with the colour of his skin.

Nothing at all? Interesting you say that because three of the five reasons you claim Goodes is not liked relate directly to his race. And I disagree with your OTT summation of all five.

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 2