Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Post Match Discussion - Round 8

Demonland

Great to hear Vanders dominate, and Toumpas get some footy - him becoming something of worth will help us immeasurably - his skills are great.

Happy to see 53 Inside 50s, 16 more contested possies, and 227 Uncontested possies.

Those numbers are the stuff of a decent AFL side.

And I like following those!

• Like 6

The turnover in the goalsquare I'm pretty sure was the result of whoever it was running past calling for the ball when they were wearing a doggie player as a shawl. Look at the replay. Toump was getting set to go the other way then whips his head around at the call and then I'm pretty sure tried to stop the handpass halfway through when he saw what he was passing to. That goal belongs to the idiot calling for the ball, not the idiot who passed it to him.

I was at the game so havent had the luxury of seeing a replay or analysing it. I will have a look as suggested.

Regardless, he was under pressure ten out from the oppositions goal line. i imagine there was plenty calling for the ball at the time. Doesnt mean you have to give it. Sometimes a player calling for the ball has no idea if hes under the pump or not.

Anyway...ive moved on, well done today Toump.

They obviously do it from the ivory tower at headquarters and radio

Probably another personal gem from Gil. AFLHQ are not exactly shining at the moment, are they?

For the time being, yes.

Fitzy has thrown a spanner in the works selection wise. Didn't see that coming.

He certainly has. Shows a lot of athleticism for such a big man. Could release Garland forward, or Dunn at times should a change of balance be needed.

Q: Was his previous best game also vs Dogs - a night game at the G where he played as a forward and nailed a few including an impressive one from in front of the MCC? (Or was that big Max? Incidentally, big max will now have to wait in line a bit longer after Spencil's show today).

Garlett's forward pressure is outstanding. Could've kicked 3 or 4 today

Massive credit to Fitzy as well. Were all his marks off opposition kicks? I think we needed that height down back, plus he can run and read the ball

Based on his final term I think Riley should be a regular in the team, our midfield was at it's best in ages despite not having Viney and Tyson

All too true.

Brayshaw 11 disposals in the last qtr

Vandenberg 29 disposals and a staggering 11 tackles

Riley 10 disposals in the last qtr

Hogan 21 disposals and 3 goals

Toumpas 20 disposals 6 tackles and 2 goals.

The future looks pretty dam good.

So u r saying Toumpas can play! Maybe!

Be great if he can build on that now.

Edited by DemonOX

Anyone quietly loving the work of Ben Newton? Doesn't get much of write up but he is averaging about 17 disposals a game and is showing that he could become a goal kicking midfielder. Has a very neat left foot and adds a bit of class outside I reckon.

• Like 11

To all those who where in the doom and gloom tread slashing their wrist, don't post on this tread, like i said there how we played in the last three rounds against the best three teams from the last three years, was not the real reflection of this season, when we have played teams around our level, we are 3 and 2,we where never going to beat Sydney freeo and hawthorne, it was just bad luck they where back to back to back.

Take a few breaths in between there man!

:)

Port and Collingwood will be tough games.. But.. If we get through them.. Is it crazy to think we coukd be 6-6 going into the bye??

Port look gettable!! Pies are an each way bet!!

And the saints.. Who knowd with them?

If we win the next 3.. I'd just about die a happy man!!

• Like 1

Anyone quietly loving the work of Ben Newton? Doesn't get much of write up but he is averaging about 17 disposals a game and is showing that he could become a goal kicking midfielder. Has a very neat left foot and adds a bit of class outside I reckon.

Still plenty of development ahead of Newton. But I'm liking what I'm seeing early. Doesn't hurt when your a midfielder averaging a goal a game.

• Like 1

Before the season, I had round 8 pencilled in as our first win of the season. Before the game today though, I couldn't see us winning due to the injury list. I haven't been wallowing over the previous three games. Those teams are clearly in a different weight division, and while I'd prefer not to have our trousers dropped in any game, I'm more concerned with how we measure up to the rest of the comp, and cobbling together as many wins as we can.

This was a superb win today. Career best games for spencer, Fitzwilliam, Toumpas and van demon. Meaningful contributions from almost everyone. I was happy for Grimes too - his best game for a while. Hopefully we'll get a couple of players back next week, get on top early and go from there.

We seemed to use a bit of third man up at ball ups as the game wore on, often ineffectively. Something to work on.

• Like 14

Would be better if he had a second gear.....but he's serviceable.

• Like 1

If anyone is interested, of our 14 remaining games 9 of them are against sides who are currently outside the top 8 :D

It's funny you mention that - apparently outside of 1 game we have only played sides within the Top 8. In that context we haven't done too badly to start the season, and we now have a real chance to get some good wins on the board as the year progresses.

• Like 1

Wow what a superb team EFFORT! That was a brilliant bounce back after last week, we didn't let up from siren to siren, not one player dropped their heads today.

Some of the more maligned players really stood up today - Watts was great, as we're Fitzy, Spencer, Bail, Hogan, Garlett, Vince, Howe (who I've been giving it to for the last month or so).

I hope this proves to them what is possible when you work hard and back each other. Doggies supporters were stunned, rolled up expecting an easy win today and I think some of their players thought the same.

Edit - I don't mean Hogan Garlett and Vince are maligned by the way.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 1

I'm glad Spencer did some nice things and got to enjoy a win, but I have to be a bit of a negative Nancy and say he was up against the worst ruckman going round.

Then again Dogs supporters would say the same if Cordy beat Spencer so good on him.

I still can't believe how much they paid for Boyd, I said he was in the dinosaur mould last year, and I've seen nothing to change my opinion.

If you're a stay at home forward that size, you need to be able to move.

Daniher and Hogan must be worth 4 mil each if he's pulling 1 mil.

• Like 4

Is it a coincidence that two of our three wins didn't have Dawes playing?

Starting to think not.

No coincidence, I think it has more to do with how our ruckman plays which enables the midfield to be able to compete.

I'm glad Spencer did some nice things and got to enjoy a win, but I have to be a bit of a negative Nancy and say he was up against the worst ruckman going round.

Then again Dogs supporters would say the same if Cordy beat Spencer so good on him.

I still can't believe how much they paid for Boyd, I said he was in the dinosaur mould last year, and I've seen nothing to change my opinion.

If you're a stay at home forward that size, you need to be able to move.

Daniher and Hogan must be worth 4 mil each if he's pulling 1 mil.

The thing most impressive about Spencer's game for mine was his willingness to get involved around the ground. He ran to make himself a link up option in the middle, and didn't shirk his responsibilities to keep the ball moving forward i.e. none of those stupid kicks across half back that go to the opposition, or a handball around the back to Jonesy from stationary. I've thought in recent weeks he was a player all too aware of his own limitations and was scared to kick it.

I doubt he'll get the hitout figures he got when up against a more quality ruckman, but I don't see why he can't bring those other aspects to his game every week. It was truly like watching a different player.

• Like 8

As for Leigh Matthews, is senility a taboo subject in all seriousness? I say this not to be a wise guy, but I have genuinely felt he has been losing it over the last 4-5 years.

Maybe he's just getting dumber (was going to say stupider but thought that was even less of a word than dumber).

His comment regarding Hogan was totally unfounded and I have no idea what made him say it. Maybe he just couldn't find a negative thing to say about Hogan and that was the best he could come up with.

Hogan is a champ and I would happily dig into my own pockets to keep him at the club.

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 4

A terrific win!

However, for me the most curious sight of the day from my seats behind the goals on the top deck of the Ponsford was a bloke who spent more time knitting what looked like a green tea-cosy or possibly a beanie than watching the game. And he was a Demon supporting bloke in his 20s.

Can't say I've seen that at the footy before, but good luck to him.

Did you get his phone number?

Riley (unlucky) or Brayshaw if he needs a break.

Does Grimes hold his spot in the side?

Think he has to, thought he was terrific today and only 1 or 2 glaring mistakes. Took some solid grabs under pressure today Grimer. I thought he was not in our best 22 but would love him to prove me wrong and todays match was excellent i thought.

• Like 1

DEElicious. So many thoughts, all positive but especially happy for Jimmy, Fitzy and Spencer. . A few mistakes early but you could see Jimmy grow in confidence through the match, and clearly felt like he belonged at this level as the game went on. Fitzy was outstanding down back and was really impressive below the knees as well. Spencil played his best game in Red and Blue. VandenBerg and Bernie V joint BOG.

DEElectible...

Loved then games of Toumpas, Fitzy and Pedo but we need to see similar over a number of weeks.

Fitzy has found his position - it looks like he can read the play from the back half so much better than he does as a forward.

Toumpas. Made a couple of howlers but his two way running was good to see and Roos will love it.

Pedo. We know he can mark and kick, and he has proven over 2 seasons he runs both ways. But he can fall away against decent one-on-one opposition.

Yes I thought fitzy was great today. He has always been a favourite player, but I suspect he might be going through what David Neitz went through. Go down back and play on elite forwards to become one yourself. He has many elite skills: is one of the fastest at the club over 30 meters, is a good overhead mark, and an elite kick. He has a lot going for him.

Actually strangely I think with him in form down back, we will not miss Frawley at all. I think he is also now ahead of Frost

Watts I thought was greatly improved today, and seems to be developing some mongrel

Edited by Dees2014
  • Like 1

I've finally worked out the secret on how to demonland

You never critique anything or anyone negatively

no matter how carp they are, you keep talking up players

no matter how awful we are, you keep saying 'i'm backing us to win this week'

then, at some point in the future, one of your chickens will inevitably come home to roost

then you come here and act like a hero bigshot knowall

sorry had to be said

As opposed to bagging players to be proved wrong and calling factual errors like yourself Curry? Your chickens roost anywhere but home.

• Like 2