Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Eddie threatens to quit over equalisation proposals

mdemonski2

Interesting the amount of Collingwood supporters tossing up about going to the soccer instead of the football on Friday night. Wonder if this will have any longterm effect on club attendances and health.

you can do these things when you're unemployed and have no teeth.

• Like 1

Eddie became president of CFC in 1998. That's 17 years. He has won 1 flag.

Why the rabble don't get rid of him is amazing. He is past his usefulness and is only there for self-aggrandising purposes.

The Filth are what they are because they have consistently been around the mark.

Like Richmond, the Filth pulled big TV numbers in the 60's & 70's when TV was the king

We all watched Football Inquest and 7's Big League on saturday night

Remember the "Arnott's Golden Football Award" when Mike Williamson would chow down on Butter Nut Snaps down the camera lens.

Melbourne was on about 3times a year

The Filth were on weekly

Probably because 121,000 punters went to the 1970 GF (my first game at the G as a 6 year old)

Ch 7 started their serious coverage in 1965

We completely missed the boat from then

Let's not forget The Filth own The Ponsford Stand even at away fixtures

Pure greed Eddie considering the MFC helped finance the original Victoria Park which was a slag heap before.

Interesting, now all that's down there are a heap of slags... :ph34r:

If you want a vibrant and sustainable competition with equality of opportunity and uncertainty of outcome, the NFL model based around revenue sharing is the benchmark in professional world sport.

If you want a parochial competition where those with the most money dominate the competition and oversaturate TV markets (like this year with Friday night footy) then Eddie's idea of equalisation is the way to go.

• Like 5

The biggest long term obstacle to an equal competition is a lack of onfield competitiveness.

The players association owes us (the football members and supporters) a great deal after the debacle that is free agency. They've got on the front foot because public sentiment is turning against them as an association.

The NFLs free agency set up is much fairer, and designed to create equality. We'd be wise to follow suit.

As for Eddie, I don't think anyone really cares anymore do they?

I have to ask, 'what is the downside to football and the AFL if Eddie quits'?

Is he one of the games greats? does he bring enormous amounts of money into the game? would anyone but Eddie care if he quit? what is he going to quit from? the Collingwood presidency? is he going to move all his interests out of AFL? where does his income come from?

It seems to me that Eddie has done pretty well out of footy and he has more to lose...so off you go Eddie.

Well he did play for Nth thirds back in the day. At least he made a point of saying that until someone went and checked the records... then he sorta shut up about it.

It's not the number of members, it's the number of supporters that is the issue.

I would imagine our ratio of members to supporters would be far greater than Collingwood's.

Thousands of our supporters are MCC

members who get entry to all games at the G. Most do not join MFC as there is very little benefit to them. If they want to go to a game at docklands they can buy a reserved seat online.

Thousands of our supporters are MCC

members who get entry to all games at the G. Most do not join MFC as there is very little benefit to them. If they want to go to a game at docklands they can buy a reserved seat online.

All MCC members have to pay $750 a year for the privilege - having said that I always buy a premium Demons membership as well.

it's all about MFC getting a better deal from the MCC

• Like 1

Equalization wouldn't need to happen if clubs went away from the 'boys club/past superstars' mantra and didn't get board members in simply because they were rich and actually got people in that knew what they were doing. Look at Carlton for example. They have these filthy rich board members who continually make poor, rash decisions that mess up the club in the present and future and then they try to make up for the poor decisions by making another poor decision.

The AFL could save a lot of successful club's money by instead hiring management consultants who audit clubs and their spending and implement a successful financial, operational and strategic management system.

Just because they are rich, doesn't mean they're going to be successful at an AFL club.

Edited by sendoff2014
  • Like 1

Melbourne participated in the greatest equalisation of all time by giving up their home ground in 1965 and subsequent years, allowing the hordes to invade us.

Absolutely...And then women were allowed into the MCC Reserve.

It's outrageous Tony....Ivan from Ivanhoe... :)

• Like 1

I wonder how people would feel if Melbourne were at the top and raking in the money?

Don't forget that Richmond was smothered by debt only a few years ago.

Collingwood finished last and was on the brink in 99 until Eddie took over. No amount of big supporter base was helping them at the time.

Good management and hard work = success.

I completely sympathise with him that big clubs are punished for the ineptness of those at the bottom.

Is Melbourne a "minnow" club because it has a small support base, or because it's been run by amateurs? Let's get real, here.

I'm not entirely against equalisation but I don't believe in the "throw money at clubs" idea. Hawthorn was on the brink of a merger in 96 and look at where they are now, compared to us.

Small clubs don't have an excuse anymore. The audience and support is there.

• Like 1

I wonder how people would feel if Melbourne were at the top and raking in the money?

Collingwood finished last and was on the brink in 99 until Eddie took over. No amount of big supporter base was helping them at the time.

I completely sympathise with him that big clubs are punished for the ineptness of those at the bottom.

Is Melbourne a "minnow" club because it has a small support base, or because it's been run by amateurs? Let's get real, here.

I'm not entirely against equalisation but I don't believe in the "throw money at clubs" idea. Hawthorn was on the brink of a merger in 96 and look at where they are now, compared to us.

I would agree 100% as long as the fixture wasn't so weighted. Hard to make money of interstate oponents every year.
  • Like 5

Having the most supporters in the country and a loaded fixture certainly helps grow your club.

The MFC has the largest conversion of supporters to members in the AFL. That is a great effort on its own considering our last few years.

• Like 6

I would agree 100% as long as the fixture wasn't so weighted. Hard to make money of interstate oponents every year.

Is t the fixture now in 3 groups of six?

And for the last time, every Victoria club requests to play the Pies as their home game. How about we start giving up QB every second year?

Is t the fixture now in 3 groups of six?

And for the last time, every Victoria club requests to play the Pies as their home game. How about we start giving up QB every second year?

Why?

How bout playing some games against Victorian sides. The Filth are not the only enemy.

• Like 2

Hahahaha superb dc

Eddie quits and thinks the AFL world shall miss him

Oh yes i shall mourn the passing of Eddie Mcguire who as a reporter for ch 10 if things went a little awry (technical hitches) Eddie would tear strips off those around him

Spoilt brat.

He is an arrogant bully boy. Some years ago he did the same thing to a young woman at a function that she was helping to organize. He was unhappy with the arrangements and he walked up to her inches away from her face and shouted abuse at her leaving her in tears. My niece was organizing the conference and witnessed the incident. She was stunned with his aggression, foul language and the nature of personal attack. She vowed never to organize an event with him again. Not a nice person.

• Like 1

He is an arrogant bully boy. Some years ago he did the same thing to a young woman at a function that she was helping to organize. He was unhappy with the arrangements and he walked up to her inches away from her face and shouted abuse at her leaving her in tears. My niece was organizing the conference and witnessed the incident. She was stunned with his aggression, foul language and the nature of personal attack. She vowed never to organize an event with him again. Not a nice person.

wouldn't suprise me at all Ernest. Saw him lose it loudly to his news crew more than once

His brother Frank worked with me at ABC

Top Bloke!!

He's a psychopath off camera. Has had stagehands fired for so much as looking at him wrong.

Could care less if he quits. In fact, the sooner he stops influencing the league the better (sadly he has a stranglehold on the AFL with his company now and undoubtedly enjoys huge influence on Gillon).

Looks like Eddie is getting rather heated about it: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/eddie-mcguire-and-paul-marsh-involved-in-onair-slanging-match-20150507-ggwwcn.html

The personality stuff aside the bit that caught my eye was: "I (Marsh, ALFPA) would like to just clarify...we believe the players should get a percentage share of the revenue that the competition and the clubs generate and we think that the way that will work is the bigger clubs that generate more money will automatically be putting in more revenue".

AFLPA new/recent demands are:

- players to get %'age of AFL revenue (currently its a set $ for all clubs);

- players to get %'age of Club revenue (a completely new player demand), in addition to revenue from the AFL

- Free Agency to be reduced to 6 years (currently 8 years)

I'm a bit over the AFLPA and their me, me, me demands. There are other stakeholders in case they hadn't noticed!

If AFLPA really want 'equalisation' for players why don't they look at payments to players in low performing clubs vs those at high performing clubs...maybe they should look at pay-for-performance!!

IMO, 'equalisation' should be at a Club to Club level (as it is) not Clubs to Players. So I'm with Eddie on this 'equalisation'. I get that the AFLPA is making the demands as ambits for the CBA but gee whiz I hope Gil is strong enough to take a stand.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

Eddie became president of CFC in 1998. That's 17 years. He has won 1 flag.

Why the rabble don't get rid of him is amazing. He is past his usefulness and is only there for self-aggrandising purposes.

Lol... Yeah look at how well we've done it that time too!

I would happily accept Eddie as a President if it meant a flag.

wouldn't suprise me at all Ernest. Saw him lose it loudly to his news crew more than once

His brother Frank worked with me at ABC

Top Bloke!!

I went to watch a live recording of the Millionaires hot seat a while back, he told some lady in the audience to "get stuffed" because she told him to shuffle the raffle prize barrel they draw from at the end of the show for audience prizes. I would say he doesn't have a lot of respect for the "little people" lol

I went to watch a live recording of the Millionaires hot seat a while back, he told some lady in the audience to "get stuffed" because she told him to shuffle the raffle prize barrel they draw from at the end of the show for audience prizes. I would say he doesn't have a lot of respect for the "little people" lol

Not just the 'little' people JC. He lost his job as head of Ch 9 a few years back because of his communication 'style'. Fairly rough even for the corporate world. He takes no prisoners.