Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Incredible Hulk - Jesse Hogan

McQueen

He looks to be playing sore and is out of form.

Still, I'm backing him in to find that form over the last 4 rounds of the season.  Nobody goes through their career playing in sparkling form.  Players struggle with it from time to time, and Jesse is having one of those periods.  He is more than good enough to work his way out of it.

13 minutes ago, McQueen said:

Not so incredible at the moment...

Is he playing sore as well as down on confidence?

Double grabbing of the ball, dropped marks, poor decisions, etc.

Hopefully he can get on the end of a few against the Suns and regain some much needed form.

Is this a joke?

Of course he’s injured. Isn’t it obvious?

1 minute ago, Mach5 said:

Is this a joke?

Of course he’s injured. Isn’t it obvious?

He was hobbling around after being injured in last nights game but I’m assuming he was fit enough to play otherwise he wouldn’t have been picked.

Now can you comment on his form?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, McQueen said:

Hopefully he can get on the end of a few against the Suns and regain some much needed form.

He hasn't been right since the Bulldogs game 8 weeks ago, something isn't right. Maybe an injury has affected his confidence but he's looking quite ordinary since that game 2 months ago, his decision making and field kicking is usually of good standard. Isn't jumping for the ball or crashing packs like he used to suggests he has a niggle, trouble is when he does he still goes up when TMAC does.

I notice that he's back playing for frees again in the last few weeks but if you watch the games he's getting double teamed so it's maybe something Goody needs to clarify with the umpiring department too if he's being blocked or scragged. Anyway the current Jesse is playing poorly, if he needs a rest then freshen him up, scoring isn't our problem.

The biggest issue for Jesse is finding a way to play better and score freely v better teams, he bashes up the bottom dwellers with ease. Since the WB game he has booted 11 goals in 7 games and v Coll, Port, Geel, Adel he has kicked a combined 2 goals in total. In the same time, TMAC has snagged 21 in 7 games including 16 v Coll, Port, Geel, Adel.

He is lacking confidence since the bye, I'm sure it has to be injury related. He's too good of a player to be this badly out of form.

Edited by MSFebey

Sorry, Jesse, you need to keep playing. You're too important to our structure to leave out. Particularly, when finals is not assured. He has a good record against Gold Coast, so he'll kick a few this coming week. If we can win 2 more games and keep the other two games tight, we should make finals.

They said it on the commentary last night and I think it lacks understanding, just because we're a high scoring team doesn't mean we can take out a Hogan. Richmond can score heavily too but if they took out Riewoldt they wouldn't be. It's structural.

If we get to the finals, Jesse will have a week off anyway.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, McQueen said:

10 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

He looks to be playing sore and is out of form.

Still, I'm backing him in to find that form over the last 4 rounds of the season.  Nobody goes through their career playing in sparkling form.  Players struggle with it from time to time, and Jesse is having one of those periods.  He is more than good enough to work his way out of it.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-melbourne-demons--jesse-hogan

I'd like to see Jesse lose 5Kgs and play more like the JRiewoldt role... Hogan playing more mobile with a quicker forward half around him,,, and also spending more time playing high, and running thru the midfield.

I think this might suit his body type with less weight, on his back and legs.

- - - - - - - - -

Petracca ------- 

Petracca along with Jesse,,,,,,,,  I want Petracca to lose a good 4Kgs,,,  as well as Jesse losing some.

Both these boys are carrying far too much puppy FAT.  And they need,,,  and we need them to get on their bikes.

I want to see both Hogan and Petracca running more midfield minutes in 2019, both becoming true midfielder/forwards, rotating with one another between CHF and the starting midfield rotations..

- - - - - - - -

Sam Weideman -------

Weideman needs to put on the 5Kgs that Jesse loses,,, and to start playing seniors next season.  A big Off-Season in the Gym for 'Weide'

,,, and for these 3 young men__

Weideman and TMc should be our main tall forwards for 2019.  surrounded by speeedy players.

5 minutes ago, A F said:

Sorry, Jesse, you need to keep playing. You're too important to our structure to leave out. Particularly, when finals is not assured. He has a good record against Gold Coast, so he'll kick a few this coming week. If we can win 2 more games and keep the other two games tight, we should make finals.

They said it on the commentary last night and I think it lacks understanding, just because we're a high scoring team doesn't mean we can take out a Hogan. Richmond can score heavily too but if they took out Riewoldt they wouldn't be. It's structural.

And what do you make of his poor decision making, lack of confidence and effort in the last 2 months?

22 minutes ago, A F said:

That is the crux of it.  Our structure relies on 2 talls up forward. We are down to one tall when Tom relieves in the ruck.  Given that Weideman and T Smith haven't done to well when given a chance I think Jesse plays.

Its a similar situation to Buddy.  He plays each week because without him their forward structure falls over.  Buddy has trained for 20 minutes all season. 

We may need to do similar to help Jessie.  Light duties till his ankle, knee, back improve.  And stop him playing up the ground to minimise aggravating his injuries.  Even if he just stands in the square and takes a key defender he will be an asset up forward. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, MSFebey said:

And what do you make of his poor decision making, lack of confidence and effort in the last 2 months?

He loses his feet too often and doesn't lay enough consistent pressure for mine, but he was the one who won that 1v1 to get ANB the sealer.

But he kicked that all important goal on the stroke of 3 quarter time and brought the ball to ground on a number of occasions last night, often against 2 or 3 Crows opponents.

He is also 5th in the Coleman race. We forget how good he is I reckon.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I hope he is carrying an injury to explain why he has been so awful the last month or so. He is a confidence player, and at the moment he has none. He isn’t leading, he isn’t jumping, he is rarely seen making tackles, second efforts or chasing. If he wasn’t Jessie Hogan he’d be dropped. So all efforts should be made to get him fit, and help him regain his confidence. He is too good a player to be playing this way. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

People have to realise he is our main focus, he is 23 and yes at times frustrating, but look at Hawkins, he is now only hitting his best career form and he has been in amazing teams when he was younger. Now he is 30? And a few hundred games into his career.

bloody help him if we could kick it to him and not on his head.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

People have to realise he is our main focus, he is 23 and yes at times frustrating, but look at Hawkins, he is now only hitting his best career form and he has been in amazing teams when he was younger. Now he is 30? And a few hundred games into his career.

bloody help him if we could kick it to him and not on his head.

He did drop two simple uncontested marks on the weekend, just went straight through his hands. I'd be playing him deep and let TMac be the roaming half forward against the Suns and see if he can kick a bag and get some confidence back.

• Like 1

He’s had a bung shoulder since the Footscray game two or so months ago, copped a hip flexor against the Cats last week, wrenched his knee against the Crows, apparently had gastro during the week - and is still running fifth in the Coleman, copping two players on him during most contests, and was integral to the last piece of play where ANB kicked the sealer

• Like 7

excuses excuses. he has been pathetic for a long time. i'd much prefer a pederson at the moment. A better kick for goal, good in the air and work ethic much better. he can also be that ruck/fwd that hogan can't. (tmac is no ruck/fwd either). 

pedo was in AA form when gawn went down last year so i think we need to find a spot for him 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

excuses excuses. he has been pathetic for a long time. i'd much prefer a pederson at the moment. A better kick for goal, good in the air and work ethic much better. he can also be that ruck/fwd that hogan can't. (tmac is no ruck/fwd either). 

pedo was in AA form when gawn went down last year so i think we need to find a spot for him 

In one word: Clueless. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 12

30 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

If your looking for something that describes pathetic, you can't go past your post.

• Like 5

...pedo was great last year..no reason he couldnt step up again. hogan squibbed many contests saturday night and dropped easy marks. call it what you will but his form doesnt justify selection. And his attitude is culture sapping.

Hogan played like a man who knew that every time he went for a mark his hand or arm would give him electric shocks of pain. Because it did. He's obviously injured.

Maybe it was not "sensible" to play ... we've seen other players aggravate injuries out of a sense of duty ... but we have many times heard that players should die for the jumper.

Putting your hand up to willingly put your body on the line in contest after contest, knowing how painful it will be, does not strike me as culture sapping. More like, setting an example.

Go Hoges. (But for chrissakes get better too.) Go Demons.

• Like 3

His effort to get the ball and set up the last goal was very good. He was metres behind his opponent and willed himself to get to the contest and win the ball. Problem is he doesn’t do this kind of work often enough. Needs more of this kind of intensity in all contests. If he is carrying injuries then a rest should be considered. 

Edited by america de cali
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

In one word: Clueless. 

Understandably there will be some people rushing to Hogan's defense. However I tend to agree with Dr. D – Hogan has been very poor for at least a month now. (if he's carrying an injury then simply DO NOT play him) otherwise assuming he's at full fitness, his current form is simply not good enough to warrant a spot in our side. 

If we are to ever go deep in September, we need 22 players to be playing their role. No i'm not saying hogan needs to be kicking bags of goals every week. I'm saying similar to guys like Reiwoldt, if Hogan is not kicking goals we need him to be doing the things that go unnoticed. The 1 percenters. Tackling, running and putting the opposition under pressure. Bringing the ball to ground if he can't take a mark then going hard at the next contest, then the next and the next. 

I rarely if EVER see a second or god forbid a third effort from Hogan. And like I said, if he can't get to the contests through injury he simply shouldn't be playing, and like Dr. D says, play someone who will compete and that is Pederson. 

4 minutes ago, Die Hard Demon said:

Understandably there will be some people rushing to Hogan's defense. However I tend to agree with Dr. D – Hogan has been very poor for at least a month now.

Why Lie ?

He started on fire against Freo and ended up with 19 disposals, 7 marks and 2 goals.  He had 5 scoring shots and should have kicked more.

The next week against Footscray he had 18 disposals, 9 marks, and 4 goals.  He was very good.

He's been poor the last 2 weeks.  But he's structurally important for the team.  If he's injured or sore he should be rested.

He has not been "very poor for at least a month" as you assert.

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Why Lie ?

He started on fire against Freo and ended up with 19 disposals, 7 marks and 2 goals.  He had 5 scoring shots and should have kicked more.

The next week against Footscray he had 18 disposals, 9 marks, and 4 goals.  He was very good.

He's been poor the last 2 weeks.  But he's structurally important for the team.  If he's injured or sore he should be rested.

He has not been "very poor for at least a month" as you assert.

My mistake, he has been poor for 2 weeks. I do still believe even in his "good games" he needs to work on his 2nd and 3rd efforts and what he does when he doesn't get the footy.