Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Lay off Jack Watts...

hardtack

Footys pretty simple. He needs to go back to the twos and earn his spot in the ones. He has never really had to do this.

He did it under Neeld. I'd be backing Paul Roos's judgement over yours my friend.

Facts:

Top 10 in disposals

Top 10 in effective disposals

3rd in marks

1st in goal assists.

And he's not playing at his best! Who are you going to replace him with to give the same output? Pedersen? Fitzpatrick? I'm running out of options.

Edited by The Reverend
  • Like 10

Travis Cloke isn't afraid. He impacts contests. Clokes also kicked 10 goals to Wattsy 4. I think Jack would do well to gain some confidence in a lower level

Jack Watts is not playing as a key forward. Spends a lot of time up the ground creating space and opportunities. Watch the game.

• Like 1

Well done to you and to the Club. It's not a nice reflection on the AFL that their official website would choose to mark a young player's 100th game with a video of all their mistakes, is it?

Agree guys, I would hope that the club would strongly protest and not offer a limp objection designed to maintain harmony with the AFL. You know the usual diplomatic response, all front but no substance. Do I think that the AFL would care? No. Do I think the AFL media department would care? No. It will have served it's purpose by attracting attention. You know how it goes, emphasize the good and the bad and not think about the consequences. Journalistic standards or responsibility? Forget it. Call me cynical. Afraid so. Any respect for the AFL and the media? Afraid not. As someone else has said on here, what other footballers have been highlighted in this way for their

mistakes? It's a little like our own supporters highlighting mistakes of Jacks and not others. It is one thing for a commentator to roll the video as part of an analysis of the game or to highlight one mistake but for the AFL to put this up is poor form.

• Like 1

Jack Watts is not playing as a key forward. Spends a lot of time up the ground creating space and opportunities. Watch the game.

He doesn't play as a tall forward, because he has no courage in the air.

If he had Robbie Flower's courage in the air he'd be our Jack Gunston. Sadly, he doesn't and he's not.

It is what it is, I suppose.

• Like 1

I mentioned earlier that I was pretty annoyed at the video posted on the AFL website about Jack Watts. I decided to write the following email to the club:

"I was extremely disappointed and angry at the video posted on the AFL website trying to show all of Jack Watts mistakes from Friday night. I don't think I have ever seen another player get scrutinised this way and think it is completely uncalled for. I hope that the club has brought this to the attention of the AFL and if not I think they should. Watts did some really good things on Friday night and I was very happy with a lot of his efforts. I want to see this club stick up for its players not just pretend it never happened.

Hoping that something can be done."

They just got back to me with the following:

"Thank you for your email and support of the Club.

The Club’s media manager has spoken to AFL Media about the video of Jack’s performance from Friday night’s game. We are disappointed that they have chosen to single out his performance in this way, particularly out of the entire competition.

We appreciate your feedback on the video. If you have any other queries, please do not hesitate to let us know."

It's good to see the club getting on the front foot in regards to that video.

Good on you Don wish we had more supporters like you - prepared to back up our players. Great work.

• Like 3

If he had Robbie Flower's courage in the air he'd be our Jack Gunston. Sadly, he doesn't and he's not.

JW is a classy player with sublime skills, vision, time and space.

I refute your claim that he has no courage in the air - he flew for several pack marks on Friday night and a couple nearly stuck.

His highlighted dropped marks were indicative of someone who had the possession 'spent' before he grabbed the ball.

Time for many posters to leave off. Appreciate this bloke for what he is.

• Like 6

I hear what you say JR... ol Jackie has a strange mix of attributes but quasi careless regard for ones self isnt one of them.

Mind you few really come close tk Tulip in that regard.

I'm a fan of Watts but the most frustrating thing for me that he does is not attacking the man with the ball hard enough, always looks to corral a player instead of going for the tackle. Not sure what game it was but a player fumbled the ball in front of him and he still chose not to charge in and wrap him up. Otherwise he does a lot of clever stuff around the ground that probably doesn't get noticed a lot of the time and he is usually a good mark on the lead and a fantastic kick, these basic skill errors he has been making the last few weeks are obviously a big lack of confidence at the moment. I am usually very confident when he has the hands on the ball. I just hope he gets his confidence back soon!

Edited by Rafiki

Some on here really do need to listen to Roos presser from yesterday, I have also spoken to Jack, he knows he has lapses, he is trying to eradicate them from his game, did a bit of extra with McCartney today

i'm sure he appreciates discussing his crippling football deficiencies with a crazy haired man on a scooter.

gif10.gif

But in all seriousness, what does Mcartney do with him one on one at training to help him with this? curious.

• Like 3

Did Watts cut your lunch or something? Because this is coming across as childish now.

• Like 6

If the captain is behind him why aren't we? About time we got behind him.

We are all behind him, some saying jack don't do anything to get hurt... others saying jack show some physical effort, more saying chase, tackle, contest physically, do something defensively,

we all want jack to survive in the AFL, & have a long & loved career @ Melbourne, but 'jack', harden up son ;)

• Like 1

Your funny Reverend. Creating space and opportunities. Thanks I needed a laugh. That's very funny. Keep it coming.

He did it under Neeld. I'd be backing Paul Roos's judgement over yours my friend.

Facts:

Top 10 in disposals

3rd in marks

1st in goal assists.

And he's not playing at his best! Who are you going to replace him with to give the same output? Pedersen? Fitzpatrick? I'm running out of options.

Don't forget no 1 at squibbing it. Id give Pedersen a go Rev amen!

I do and I have before but I am definitely at odds with others on here.

Sarcasm detectors not working well I take it?

• Like 1

Your funny Reverend. Creating space and opportunities. Thanks I needed a laugh. That's very funny. Keep it coming.

When you're replying to facts and observations with only personal opinion you're clearly losing the argument.

• Like 2

i'm sure he appreciates discussing his crippling football deficiencies with a crazy haired man on a scooter.

gif10.gif

But in all seriousness, what does Mcartney do with him one on one at training to help him with this? curious.

Nail his eyelids open so that he doesn't blink as he's about to take a mark.

I'm not sure that's a stat they make public.Not sure where you've gotten that one from but you're entitled to your opinion. It would be nice if you could argue with some facts though.

Facts:

Top 10 in disposals

3rd in marks

1st in goal assists.

With regard to Effective Disposal stat... Possibly in total ED but on averages he is ranked 14th in the team so far this year. Not that far away but not in the top 10.

You have used the "marks" stat. Contested marks stat is considered by some to be a more telling stat. In this stat he ranks 14th as well on team averages so far this year.

Goal Assist (averages) he ranks 3rd so far behind Michie (1 game only!!??) and JKH. Still a decent result.

To be fair to Watts he is 3rd in marks inside 50 and 4th in goals so far.

Note: 4 games is not really a meaningful sample size to rank players. Probably need at least 8 weeks or more for more meaningful trends. The above rankings are based on "team averages" not totals for the season.

Facts:

Top 10 in disposals

3rd in marks

1st in goal assists.

I think Roosey & assistants might also be having similar option issues and this would not only be with an out of form Watts (ie., not wanting to single him out). In general our list really lacks depth to pressure the bottom fringe players in the teem on a weekly basis unless we pretty much have a fully fit list at our disposal.

As a result i would suspect any out of form (or inconsistent) players will still be getting a gig until the end of season until Roos has another go at the draft and is able to top up even further.

Things could get even more exciting for us in 2016 if the next draft is anything like the last 2!

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

He was really good on Friday night. Just mixed in the usual bad moments.

I'm all for dropping him and getting him to be the man at Casey and shoulder a big work load. Play as a traditional CHF and take some big aerial contest. I think his game has always suffered from never having that chance. As soon as he played good VFL he was in to the team and not dropped since.

I don't buy much in to players feelings. If they aren't tough enough to deal with it then I don't think baby-ing them along will ever help.

That said. This isn't the right week to drop him. There will be a number of forced changes and as I said he played well on Friday night.

Dropping Watts now would be like dropping Jamar for not getting 15 touches or dropping Cross for a few poor kicks. It would be throwing out a lot of good just for one bad trait.

• Like 1

and Grimes a captain ...so who gives a..

No one cares less now he was a 1 pick.

Completely disagree. The only reason this thread and the numerous others on the topic get any airtime at all is for precisely that reason. If he were taken at pick 30-odd I doubt people would question his spot in the side nearly as much.

Sure there are parts of his game obviously lacking but he is top four at the club for marks and goals, top 10 for disposals and, last week aside, is our best and most creative user of the footy. He isn't an aggressive animal but his appetite for the contest and his work rate have clearly improved as well. He is far from our worst despite the constant attention which he must surely wonder what he ever did to deserve.

• Like 2