Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Casey Scorpions v Frankston - Round 1, 2015

KC from Casey

Pleasantly surprised by Fitzpatrick. Looked solid.

Must be frustrating for these players though, as the match itself will always play a big part in what's possible for them to do. Toumpas looked to have it on a string there for a while, but then the game ended up being played around the Casey half-forward line, and he disappeared from view. Playing at a lower level like this must be frustrating at times - no point running to the right position time and time again, if your team mates can't hit you with their kicks. Hard going for more skilled players, while the more dogged players come into their own.

On the basis of a dodgy video feed, Mitchie, Riley, Toumpas looked decent. Not sure of any of the talls, none looked dominant. Not sure if we'll see Matt Jones or McKenzie back in the firsts, but Grimes looked like the senior player he is - even if he did miss a goal he should have scored.

I'm fine with him getting some confidence on a wing right now but if he's still in the VFL as the season goes on then he has to be put on the ball. Even if he's a wingman he should learn how to win contested footy. McKenzie/Riley/Michie etc can be moved on to a wing, forward or back. We might've over done it with the shuffling of players last year but the idea was right.

Not sure about the camera being behind a whopping great pole but a great initiative.

How/why the club didn't inform supporters about this is odd. A Facebook post. Something.

??? feet on the casey ground? turnstiles?

Not sure about designing the upstairs veiwing area with structural steel columns in front of the viewing area in the first place.

.....a re-design should be being thought of for the future, which incorporates a larger outside deck for members.

Not sure about the camera being behind a whopping great pole but a great initiative.

How/why the club didn't inform supporters about this is odd. A Facebook post. Something.

I was there today in the function room for the round 1 luncheon and saw the bloke up there streaming in an out of the way spot from the main function area. I am pretty sure it was Casey's main sponsor that took the initiative to live stream it and it can be re-watched if anyone missed it: http://livestream.com/WilkarProductions/VFLRd01

Not sure if it was going to be a regular thing, but I would imagine they would stream the non-televised home games. He was there all through the development game, so hopefully he uploads the footage he got of that. Of the Melbourne-listed players, Max King looked impressive up forward.

As for the function, Justin Plapp and Shannon Byrnes talked about how the two clubs would be more unified in 2015. He has all the Casey boys on almost the same program as the AFL players with less weights for the younger guys. Shannon hinted that after his playing days are over he would be moving into a full time position with the club. Not sure if he meant with Casey or Melbourne.

Fitzy looked bloody great in defense. Pederson played a good game also and would be the most likely to replace Frost.

• Like 8

In another thread I heroically suggested Casey might be Premiers. There was nothing in today's match we caused me to revise this view however now I extend that prediction to our Development League team as well!

I am not at all surprised at Fitzy, was hoping he would surprise some, spoke to him a couple of times, is actually enjoying his footy which is half the battle, and Rawlings is putting a lot of time and effort into him, could be a nice coaching move that no one saw coming

As for your second bit, if they don't put the effort in playing at a lower level, that is where they will stay

Really happy to see Fitzy doing well down back, we might not have seen it coming but I know a couple of us thought it might have been a good move for him last season.

I hope this gives his career a kick along.

• Like 1

Really happy to see Fitzy doing well down back, we might not have seen it coming but I know a couple of us thought it might have been a good move for him last season.

He's a good VFL player forward. He'll be a good VFL player back. The issue is at some stage he's going to need the opportunity at AFL level otherwise the list managers will be making a tough call on his future viability if all he does is play well at VFL level. Jetta did that and got the 1 late game, then rookie deal then so on.

To be honest I'm pretty nervous about seeing Fitzy in an AFL backline, but hey who knows? Something more to worry about for later in the year I guess.

• Like 2

Viv Michie led the Scorpions not only with his 27 touches but also with nine tackles. Matt Jones was another to find plenty of the ball with 25 disposals, Jimmy Toumpas had 24, Adam Riley 23 and Jordie McKenzie 20 while Rohan Bail kicked three goals to go with his 18 possessions.

Father-son recruit Billy Stretch didn't look out of place in his first VFL game, gathering 19 touches and a team-high seven inside 50's.

Jack Fitzpatrick was solid in the back half, cutting off a lot of the Dolphins forward thrusts with 10 marks coming from his 20 disposals. Pedersen was also impressive in the air, taking nine marks.

Viv Michie led the Scorpions not only with his 27 touches but also with nine tackles. Matt Jones was another to find plenty of the ball with 25 disposals, Jimmy Toumpas had 24, Adam Riley 23 and Jordie McKenzie 20 while Rohan Bail kicked three goals to go with his 18 possessions.

Father-son recruit Billy Stretch didn't look out of place in his first VFL game, gathering 19 touches and a team-high seven inside 50's.

Jack Fitzpatrick was solid in the back half, cutting off a lot of the Dolphins forward thrusts with 10 marks coming from his 20 disposals. Pedersen was also impressive in the air, taking nine marks.

How did Aidan Riley go?

DOLPHINS SMASHED by KC from Casey

It's only round one but things look promising for the Casey Scorpions who are perched on top of both the Senior and Development League ladders after resounding victories over stand alone neighbour Frankston at Casey Fields.

The elements were not conducive to attractive football with heavy rain and strong winds making life tough for the players for most of the day.

In the main game, the Scorpions effectively killed the match with a dominant first term against the wind. Their defence was tight and strong, constantly frustrating the visitors who managed a mere two points for the quarter and were stunned by the ferocity of their hosts in the early going. Cam Pedersen turned their opening quarter into a nightmare with a long goal against the tide and they never recovered.

When Casey's turn with the wind came, Aidan Riley had a purple patch with two early goals and, but for some poor kicking for goal, the massacre would have been complete by half time. As it was, the lead was insurmountable and, despite some improvement in the third term when the Dolphins kicked two late goals, they were swamped in the final term by a dominant but inaccurate foe.

Viv Michie had an outstanding game with his 29 possessions and nine tackles and Rohan Bail was classy at times with three goals including a classic effort against the breeze in the third quarter when he ran the ball out of defence, through the centre, passed it forward and continued to run all the way into the square where he retrieved the ball in a pack for a snapped goal.

Evan Panozza played a great skipper's game in defence and Jack Fitzpatrick was again outstanding down back with 22 touches and 11 marks.

The rucks completely mauled Frankston with Jake Spencer and Max Gawn (71 hit outs between them) far too strong for their counterparts. Gawn was also good up forward but his kicking for goal let him down badly. With a dominant ruck it was little wonder that the midfield had a day out. Michie, Riley, Matt Jones, Jimmy Toumpas, Jordie McKenzie, Jack Grimes and Scorpion Mitch Gent who was out injured for most of last year all had plenty of the football.

Billy Stretch looks a real prospect for the future. His run and carry into the forward fifty was exciting while lightly built Dingley recruit Luke Walmsley again showed his class.

The end result in the wet conditions - a 13.19.91 to 5.9.39 - was a just reward despite the inaccuracy but the Scorpions' real test will be in the weeks to come starting with a big test at the Whitten Oval against the reigning premier Footscray in a game which starts at noon next Sunday.

Casey Scorpions 1.2.8 6.11.47 8.12.60 13.21.99

Frankston 0.2.2 1.4.10 4.8.32 5.9.39

Goals

Casey Scorpions Bail 3 Pedersen Riley 2 Harmes Terlich Scott Gent Smith Gawn

Frankston Gardiner 2 Cavarra Irving Wood

Casey Scorpions Michie Bail Gent Panozza Fitzpatrick McKenzie

Frankston Wood Wilsen Foote Cavarra Pickess Hockey

Match Statistics

Rohan Bail 3 goals 1 behind 22 disposals 15 kicks 7 handballs 8 marks 4 tackles 1 hit outs 116 dream team points

Jack Fitzpatrick 22 disposals 15 kicks 7 handballs 11 marks 93 dream team points

Max Gawn 1 goal 5 behinds 17 disposals 11 kicks 6 handballs 8 marks 3 tackles 31 hit outs 118 dream team points

Jack Grimes 3 behinds 20 disposals 15 kicks 5 handballs 9 marks 5 tackles 104 dream team points

James Harmes 1 goal 11 disposals 7 kicks 4 handballs 0 marks 1 tackle 36 dream team points

Matt Jones 1 behind 25 disposals 8 kicks 17 handballs 8 marks 3 tackles 93 team points

Jordie McKenzie 26 disposals 13 kicks 13 handballs 3 marks 7 tackles 102 dream team points

Viv Michie 29 disposals 13 kicks 16 handballs 6 marks 9 tackles 118 dream team points

Cam Pedersen 2 goals 2 behinds 15 disposals 12 kicks 3 handballs 9 marks 5 tackles 4 hit outs 109 dream team points

Aidan Riley 2 goals for 29 disposals 8 kicks 21 handballs 4 marks 3 tackles dream team 101 points

Jake Spencer 1 behind 14 disposals 6 kicks 8 handballs 4 marks 6 tackles 40 hit outs dream 93 team points

Billy Stretch 24 disposals 12 kicks 12 handballs 2 marks 2 tackles 71 dream team points

Dean Terlich 1 goal 18 disposals 14 kicks 4 handballs 8 marks 4 tackles 80 dream team points

Jimmy Toumpas 26 disposals 14 kicks 12 handballs 8 marks 3 tackles 99 dream team points

The Scorpions Development League team established early control in trying conditions against the young Dolphins. The team has great depth although given the poor opposition, the game should not necessarily be taken as a pointer for the season ahead.

2015 AFL Victoria Development League

Casey Scorpions 6.8.44 9.8.62 15.13.103 17.15.117

Frankston 1.0.6 2.2.14 2.2.14 2.3.15

Goals

Casey Scorpions Waters 4 King 3 Moncrieff Morris Paredes 2 Battle Johnson Neal-Bullen White

Best

Casey Scorpions Gains Morris Thwaites King Corrigan Waters

Frankston Tuddenham Bailey Valles Hammond Bastinac Halsall

Billy Stretch is a smooth mover with a good footy brain and skills to find his man and set up play. Happy to leave it to Toosy as to when he gets his opportunity. Fitzpatrick likewise in his new role.i would love to think the club has given Fitzpatrick a realistic timeline to learn the defenders role and see this club make something out of a player who was treading water.

I got a good view of the pole in the middle of the screen - thought I was at Etihad.

Also the commentary was reminiscent of when the ABC uses the Adelaide commentators.

The thing I noticed the most was how good our rucks were with the tap outs but totally useless around the ground - can't take a mark to save themselves.

So does the pole have a shot at being called up? Sounds tall enough.

• Like 2

Took the 5 minute walk from home to Casey Fields yesterday. Got there about 20min into the 2nd term of the reserves match. Meant to post my thoughts on all the players earlier, but pregnant wife & two year old at home meant I had to delay things to today sorry.

The Seniors:

Rohan Bail: Provided plenty of forward pressure and was good to see him get on the back of some of our forward plays by booting 3 Goals, which he has failed to do much before. Played mainly half forward, and hes kept his name in contention if someone like Vandenberg were to cop an injury or loose form.

Jack Fitzpatrick: One of our best all day. Controlled the play across halfback, by taking several marks and running the ball out himself rather then looking to free up someone else to distribute. Dropped a couple of marks he possibly should have taken, but played well and used it reasonably well also that was nice to see.

Max Gawn: Provided a huge target up forward, taking several strong marks and also provided the ruck work in the forward half of the ground as well as chopping out for Spencil occasionally. If he kicked straight hed be in contention for Frosts spot. The website said he kicked 1.4, but I had him down as 1.6. Should have kicked at least 4, but he moved well and really did dominate. If only he could sort out that kicking.

Jack Grimes: Dont really know what to say about Grimey. He didnt do anything wrong or have any shockers that I could see, but struggled to stamp his authority on the game. A couple of really strong tackles, and played his role well, but for some reason I was just left wanting more. Cant fault anything he did though.

James Harmes: Didnt sight him much in the first half, apart from getting pinged holding the ball in the 2nd term that gave Frankston their only goal for the half. He did have a much stronger 2nd half though. Provided quite a bit of run and showed his pace by out running a few Frankston defenders in the final term to run onto a loose ball and kick a goal. Was hard to always pick him out, as one of the Casey players (Pattinson) looks quite similar. However, he looks to be a really good size now Harmes and I think there could be something there for the future.

Matt Jones: Ran hard, moved well and put in day. Disposal was pretty scratchy at times, but you cant question his endeavour. Dont know how often well spot him n the seniors this year Matty Jones, but will be a good player for Casey.

Jordie McKenzie: Typical Jordie game. Bottom of every pack, tackled hard and again gave it his all. Sadly for Jordie hes a few rungs down the pecking order at the moment, so hes probably in a similar position to Matt Jones.

Viv Michie: Played well Viv. Looks to have developed that ability to play both inside and outside which is obviously important. Got several hard balls, but also saw him running clear of packs on more then one occasion. Hes sure to get a call up at some point. Just a question of when.

Cameron Pedersen: I will open up by saying that although he didnt dominate or anything, Pedo would have to have put himself ahead of Gawn to come in for Frost next week. Presented well all day, took several strong & clean marks and kicked a lovely torp goal from outside 50 into a Gail in the 2nd term. Even though it was VFL, it was still nice to see him recapture some of his early season form from last year.

Aiden Reilly: Bit of a forgotten man, but played a good game. Hard at it, on the bottom of a lot of packs. Kicked two goals in the 2nd term within a minute of each other to give Casey their initial break on the game. Hes put himself ahead of Jordie in the pecking order, but Michie would still have to be ahead of him.

Jake Spencer: Dominated the ruck with some really nice taps to advantage Spencil. Having said that though, outside his tap work, and 1%s which are always important, he is still one of the worst kicks on an AFL list and just doesnt get enough of the ball around the ground. This is where Gawn has a massive advantage over Spencil.

Billy Stretch: First time Ive ever seen Billy play live and I must say I was very impressed. Moved really well, provided plenty of run and chases the other way also. Used the ball well and Id have to say despite his small stature, hed have to be a chance to debut this year if he keeps showing the form he showed yesterday.

Dean Terlich: Similar to Harmes, started really slowly, in fact I barely noticed him in the first half. But really got into the game in the 2nd half. Started to show some signs of that run & dash we saw from him in his first year, and used the ball reasonably well. Kicked a nice long goal off his left in the final quarter. Is really important he regains some form as we really lack depth off halfback. Some good signs there.

Jimmy Toumpas: Similar to Billy, was good to see Jimmy provide a heap of run and use the ball well also. Has certainly put himself in contention for a recall. Along with Fitzpatrick, I thought Jimmy was one of our best in the 1st term when kicking against the breeze when it was at its strongest and played well all day. There was one contest early in the last where I wouldnt say he pulled out, but think he thought Jordie was going to lay a tackle, so didnt go for one himself. End result, neither player laid one and the Frankston player ran between them. Small sore point, but only one I really have. Was happy to see him play well.

Reserves:

Max King: Ended up kicking three. I only saw one of them, but he just seems to lack an ability to impact some contests that at times it looks like he should get to. Obviously a big year for him and hope he does well. But my early prediction would have to be that he wont be with the club next year.

Oscar McDonald: Plays just like his brother, but at this stage he seems to suffer a case of the fumbles, which means by the time he had it cleanly, he had to get rid of it quick because the opposition had closed him down by then. Defended well and is a good size. Took a nice contested grab over Waylon Manson in the 2nd term in trying conditions and showed he should be a player.

Alex Neal-Bullen: Saw in the scorecard that he kicked a goal, but was unsighted by me. Not sure if he only played the 1st half, or if there was an injury, but I cant make any comment sorry.

Mitchell White: Thought he looked quite good. Used the ball well, provided plenty of run and he also looked very comfortable in the air. Should play VFL firsts before to long Id expect.

Happy for any questions.

• Like 17

Good to hear Pedo and Fitzpleasure are playing well. If Frost misses next week (haven't heard anything new on his injury) there should be an able replacement.

Cale Morton ... did they ever find his heart???

according to the latest trendy nutritionists, isn't Cale the new best thing for strength and vigor??

I thought Stretch and Toumpas were stiff not to be named in the best and i hope the team selector look past that as i thought along with Michie they stood out with their disposal and cleaness with the ball.

I thought Stretch and Toumpas were stiff not to be named in the best and i hope the team selector look past that as i thought along with Michie they stood out with their disposal and cleaness with the ball.

Your love of Michie is up there with my love of vandenBerg.

Edited by Clint Bizkit

I think it can help his footy all together. I still seem him forward & rucking but playing 'more freely' down back gaining confidence will help him grow.

this can only be a good thing as he gains confidence to tap into his his abilities.

I think it can help his footy all together. I still seem him forward & rucking but playing 'more freely' down back gaining confidence will help him grow.

this can only be a good thing as he gains confidence to tap into his his abilities.

Not in any way comparing Fitz to Neita, but playing a while down back certainly didn't harm his forward development did it.

Not in any way comparing Fitz to Neita, but playing a while down back certainly didn't harm his forward development did it.

yep if some are nervous while still young, unable to allow their abilities to come out, sometimes the backline is the place for them to start. others may feel free-er up forward, but to me its about freeing the mind to relax & kick on, to be able to show what they've got

hopefully once he does that, he will grow the required faith in himself to let his footy shine.

I see him as a real Key part of our future IF he can get the MOJO firing.

just let it happen Fitzy, let it out & go with it,,,, within your knowledge of the teams gameplan.

Edited by dee-luded

Sounds like both the senior and VFL team should practice their bloody goal kicking this week

Luckily it wasn't costly for Casey, but it may have cost us the game on Saturday.

Michie in the best 2 weeks in a row. We need some more run through the middle. I think he might get a call up this week.

Watched a little bit of the 3rd quarter - the pole and commentary put me off.

Just watched the first. I'd rather listen to these commentators than Derwayne Russell.

Fitzy exceptional, Spencer good in the ruck, Pedersen an amazing goal from 50 into the wind, Stretch, Toump ok. Michie very quiet, must have done a lot better later. Commentary poor at identifying players but that's understandable I reckon.