Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes for Round 3

watchtheeyes

We currently have the smallest injury list in the league. Given Dawes and Vince have had a game back and Howe is now two games back, we will field one of our strongest teams in years. Brodie Smith will be a loss for them.

I'd make one change. JKH in for Newton and he plays as the sub.

I think we've got to give the Frost as second ruck structure a couple more games. The alternative is Gawn and I don't like Gawn and Jamar in the same team. The second ruck/genuine tall forward role is going to be one of our key requirements going forward. I'd throw a stack of cash at Charlie Dixon (as I've suggested each of the last two trade periods). For the remainder of this season it appears we have five choices. The current situation, Dawes doing what he hated doing at Collingwood, a combo of two genuine rucks Jamar/Gawn or Jamar/Spencer or we give the clearly out of favour Pedersen another chance. The fifth option is the one no one will probably entertain - Hogan. It would allow us to play a Dawes/Hogan/Watts/Kent/Garlett/JKH forward line and have one extra runner in the team with Frost left to fight it out for a defensive post with Garland, McDonald, Dunn and Howe. And we'd have Hogan around the ball for an extra 20 minutes each game. He'd give us another quality midfielder in short bursts. I would have liked to have seen him move into the middle with 5 minutes to go in the third quarter last Saturday. He has the tank that would mean that his forward game wouldn't be negatively impacted by his time in the ruck. I'd seriously consider this option. If his back is an issue, he shouldn't be anywhere near a football field. I'd be more worried about the damage he'd do to the other second rucks in the league. We need the extra runner and Hogan in the ruck for 15 - 20 minutes a game helps us structure up much more competitively.

I'd like to see some balance in the forward line. JKH or Brayshaw for Frost. Won't happen but Garlett couldn't go solo at the Blues and won't be able to do it here.

Unfortunately, we need to wait a year or 2 to be calling changes on our on ball brigade but it will happen

Having a win on the board is more than a pass mark for me thus far

If jamar has to compete against a ruckman who can jump....... Then dump him..... White Russian can't jump.

Ditto for Gawn, with so much height, his knee must still be giving him problems.

Pencil can jump. So play him.

We currently have the smallest injury list in the league. Given Dawes and Vince have had a game back and Howe is now two games back, we will field one of our strongest teams in years. Brodie Smith will be a loss for them.

I'd make one change. JKH in for Newton and he plays as the sub.

I think we've got to give the Frost as second ruck structure a couple more games. The alternative is Gawn and I don't like Gawn and Jamar in the same team. The second ruck/genuine tall forward role is going to be one of our key requirements going forward. I'd throw a stack of cash at Charlie Dixon (as I've suggested each of the last two trade periods). For the remainder of this season it appears we have five choices. The current situation, Dawes doing what he hated doing at Collingwood, a combo of two genuine rucks Jamar/Gawn or Jamar/Spencer or we give the clearly out of favour Pedersen another chance. The fifth option is the one no one will probably entertain - Hogan. It would allow us to play a Dawes/Hogan/Watts/Kent/Garlett/JKH forward line and have one extra runner in the team with Frost left to fight it out for a defensive post with Garland, McDonald, Dunn and Howe. And we'd have Hogan around the ball for an extra 20 minutes each game. He'd give us another quality midfielder in short bursts. I would have liked to have seen him move into the middle with 5 minutes to go in the third quarter last Saturday. He has the tank that would mean that his forward game wouldn't be negatively impacted by his time in the ruck. I'd seriously consider this option. If his back is an issue, he shouldn't be anywhere near a football field. I'd be more worried about the damage he'd do to the other second rucks in the league. We need the extra runner and Hogan in the ruck for 15 - 20 minutes a game helps us structure up much more competitively.

Newton kicks goals - 2 per game is good for a mid, something we desperately need.

The ruck is a major issue with Mumford wearing Jamar down and giving their midfield free reign.

in: JKH and Spencer

out: Frost and Jetta with Lamumba going down back.

Newton kicks goals - 2 per game is good for a mid, something we desperately need.

The ruck is a major issue with Mumford wearing Jamar down and giving their midfield free reign.

Yep, don't like the idea of our equal leading goal kicker(!) being the sub.

Kent to sub this week for mine.

Yep, don't like the idea of our equal leading goal kicker(!) being the sub.

Kent to sub this week for mine.

it does in all seriousness depend upon who's in the team.

Jetta out?? Your reasoning.....and who plays on Betts then?
  • Like 1

The media are actually reporting that he is a chance to play, medical team to make the call on Friday.

Knowing our luck Smith will play.

Well its time to envoke some proper brizzy football tactics.

It hasn't happened yet. Not even close. Like most level headed people said last week, while recognising our opponent on the day was pretty ordinary at best, it was just one game of football. I was very worried about the GWS game but I am still in shock that we went up there and put on a Neeld-esque performance. I just can;t believe I saw that same weak effort again with my own eyes. We haven't put together two wins on the trot for 3.5 years. That is an utter disgrace. Even if some miracle happens in Adelaide this week are we to expect them to come out and get flogged by the tigers the week after? I am sick to death of it. We are paying 7.25 this week FCS. How much longer must we endure having matches upcoming for which we have practically zero chance of winning? How many more years? We have supposedly the best coach in the game and a list that hes been fed high draft picks for NINE years, including EIGHT players from the top 5 of the draft (inc Hogan and Tyson) just in the course of 7 years! We should have built a premiership core with that advantage but alas, no, we have to look down the barrel of a bottom 4 finish YET AGAIN and suffer the pain and indignity of days like last Saturday. Meanwhile, the focus inevitably turns to the next trade/draft period and wonder how many years away is the dream of stringing two wins together. Grrrrr.

Do you realise that in 2007, when we bombed out, sacked Daniher and began collecting picks for a rebuild, all of Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong were up and about the top of the ladder. They have all stayed there in the 7 years since, despite having zero draft assistance (yeah OK Geelong might be done now after 3 flags). We have not moved an INCH, with all the players they can throw at us. What in the name of God is the fundamental difference between our dysfunctional club and the competition leaders? Why do we make sweeping changes to the list, coaching staff, admin, training venues etc etc etc and nothing even moves the needle. What is it going to take for us to put 22 players on a field that actually give a stuff about being out there? We've almost swapped the old 22 for an entirely new one and nothing has changed! I have just about had the sword, I tell you what, no supporter should have to endure this torture. /end rant

Bit ranty, but for once you are absolutely spot on. I can't argue with a single word of it.

• Like 1

Yep, and soon after the expansion teams came in and with all our shite drafting and recruiting, we're still at the bottom of the pile.

This is incorrect. We've had plenty of picks and better access to picks than a number of teams outside the expansion list who have went down later than us, and are moving up earlier.

This is just excuse-making.

I understand the angst, but it is only Round 3 and we're 1-1. I'd have taken that three weeks ago.

We're also going to a ground where we have recently performed well.

Adelaide do look good, no doubt, but Round 1 they played an absolutely insipid North team. Round 2 they played a very ordinary Collingwood side. They are yet to show they are the real deal against a QUALITY opponent.

It's a tough ask but if we can match their pressure, we'll be in the game.

The problem is, we are generally both insipid and ordinary.

• Like 2

This is incorrect. We've had plenty of picks and better access to picks than a number of teams outside the expansion list who have went down later than us, and are moving up earlier.

I'm not being an apologist. I'm talking about our poor drafting (heavily documented already) and we chose a bad time to bottom out...and bottom out...and bottom out.

Jetta out?!

Surely people are taking the urine.

he wasn't his usual self...but probably not alone reason to sub out.

My fears exactly I said it on another thread if Dean doesn't get his attitude right we will be talking in 5 years time again about the player he could be. Like Sylvia he has all the tools. It's up to him now. Even if Talia goes to Hogan then we know Jesse has the desire and will to run him up the ground. Don't discount Hogan pinch hitting

He can't kick for shiite

That is not quite true. The expansion teams had access to the best 17yo's in the country. They weren't in the pool for us to draft. I agree with your general contention though...

I drove up to Canberra for the game with a crew of demon mates, optimistic of a good showing but mindful of my fathers words. "Never back a horse second up after a spell." And how right he was. Devastated by the lack of effort. Confused that professional footballers could not take clean possession. Confounded that leadership can disappear within 1 short week. Feelings of deja vu. Fortunately the beer was cold at the ground, the red wine flowed that night and was complimented by the cleansing of Olympic proportioned venting. I am not concerned about who is in or out I just want effort applied to the task at hand. So re-attach the heart strings and take it up to the crows. Go Dees.

• Like 6

In retrospect it result should not have been a surprise.

GWS are stocked up with talent in exactly the area of the field where we have least, the midfield.

Unfortunately it's also the area where we are weakest, not just in terms of player talent, but in cohesion and games played together. Roo's mentioned it on 360, that the players themselves (many new to the club) aren't sure who their best and most experienced players in the middle are, who could stand up to GWS's midfield surge...

Newton, Garlett, Lamumba, Brayshaw and VandenBerg were playing their SECOND competitive game together and with the other MFC midfielders.

Up against a GWS midfield group that have literally lived together for the past 2 or 3 years and would be close to 50 games together.

As always we want instant success (and we deserve it), but it aint going to arrive overnight, these boys need time to gel and learn to play as a midfield group under intense and constant pressure, they don't call it the "boiler room" for nothing.

Edited by PaulRB

Cross isn't creative, not overly damaging with possessions and it's not as if his numbers are huge.

Bontempelli 20 tackles in 2 games ~ Cross 5.

Footscray haven't regretted moving him on 18 months ago. I like Cross, but he's far from a staple and to suggest supporters are "idiots" for suggesting he makes way for speed (JKH) merely shows footy ineptitude.

He's our leading possession winner, so why would we drop him for a small forward with better leg speed....anyway everyone is entitled to their opinion!

It hasn't happened yet. Not even close. Like most level headed people said last week, while recognising our opponent on the day was pretty ordinary at best, it was just one game of football. I was very worried about the GWS game but I am still in shock that we went up there and put on a Neeld-esque performance. I just can;t believe I saw that same weak effort again with my own eyes. We haven't put together two wins on the trot for 3.5 years. That is an utter disgrace. Even if some miracle happens in Adelaide this week are we to expect them to come out and get flogged by the tigers the week after? I am sick to death of it. We are paying 7.25 this week FCS. How much longer must we endure having matches upcoming for which we have practically zero chance of winning? How many more years? We have supposedly the best coach in the game and a list that hes been fed high draft picks for NINE years, including EIGHT players from the top 5 of the draft (inc Hogan and Tyson) just in the course of 7 years! We should have built a premiership core with that advantage but alas, no, we have to look down the barrel of a bottom 4 finish YET AGAIN and suffer the pain and indignity of days like last Saturday. Meanwhile, the focus inevitably turns to the next trade/draft period and wonder how many years away is the dream of stringing two wins together. Grrrrr.

Do you realise that in 2007, when we bombed out, sacked Daniher and began collecting picks for a rebuild, all of Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong were up and about the top of the ladder. They have all stayed there in the 7 years since, despite having zero draft assistance (yeah OK Geelong might be done now after 3 flags). We have not moved an INCH, with all the players they can throw at us. What in the name of God is the fundamental difference between our dysfunctional club and the competition leaders? Why do we make sweeping changes to the list, coaching staff, admin, training venues etc etc etc and nothing even moves the needle. What is it going to take for us to put 22 players on a field that actually give a stuff about being out there? We've almost swapped the old 22 for an entirely new one and nothing has changed! I have just about had the sword, I tell you what, no supporter should have to endure this torture. /end rant

And what has this got to do with some possible team changes for round 3?