Tom McDonald

Demonland

b708c9e3cd6c7603ffbc205f9dfd2e13

" data-width="500">

b708c9e3cd6c7603ffbc205f9dfd2e13

">

NEWS: Defender Tom McDonald received the maximum of 10 votes in the AFL Coaches' Association Player of the Year award...

Posted by Melbourne Football Club on Wednesday, April 8, 2015

• Like 3

I said preseason that if any Demon player makes AA it will be T Mac

Heres hoping I get something right for the first time in my Demonland posting career

At least you can have a laugh at your own expense HH! Good job

Cracking game by Thomas. I like when someone who is somewhat limited in skills makes himself into a really decent player through nothing more than determination and hard work.

I'm a big fan

• Like 3

Pleasantly surprised. If Bernie Vince could tutor him on how to drop the ball onto his boot, we'd have something special.

Kicks the ball pretty well technically, some people just don't have it in them to be 70m darts. It's more about decision making and that comes with practice.

Pleasantly surprised. If Bernie Vince could tutor him on how to drop the ball onto his boot, we'd have something special.

He obviously has done a lot of extra training on his deficiencies over the off season.

Although he looks very robotic with his actions he does get his results.

He is not running too far without bouncing the ball.

His decision making has improved out of site.

Even his mistakes are no longer blunders.

• Like 2

Kicks the ball pretty well technically, some people just don't have it in them to be 70m darts. It's more about decision making and that comes with practice.

Don't agree. Technically poor. Decision making ok

• Like 3

Heres hoping I get something right for the first time in my Demonland posting career

Don't be signed on yourself.

Every time you agree with me you are right.

• Like 1

Watched the game for the second time (third if you include watching it live) and Tommy Mac continues to impress me every time. One of my favourite Dees for a couple years now. Could easily see him with a Bluey and a AA selection or two (ideally at Melbourne) under his belt by the time he hangs up the boots.

Edited by Demon Jack
  • Like 1

As long as you don't doom him by making a screwball Lou-Richards-type bet: e.g. "If he doesn't make AA this year, I'll remove all my body hair with sandpaper" :o

I recall back early last season when we got smashed by WC. In one early play on a break Tom fruitlessly chased down three WC players with no support. They got the gimme goal. He had no chance but busted his guts. While this was happening Frawley was just casually ambling into space making no effort at all to impact on the play. I could see then Tom was the man.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 5

For all the concerns and complaining about his decision making and disposal, he looked far more composed and skillful Saturday. Maybe he has "turned the corner "

Let's hope he continues throughout 2015 and beyond.

Great game.

Gawd it is good again to be a Demon fan.

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1

I think it makes our defenders look a hell of a lot better when there is spread, so they actually have options.

Someone on here said the other day there's a huge difference between kicking it to someone under pressure bang on the chest, and kicking it into space where if you are 2-3 metres off either way it doesn't make a difference. They were bang on, and I think we'll see Tommy Mac being one of the biggest beneficiaries of this all season.

• Like 4

He did have 2 terrible play ons though. One in the 1st quarter, one in the last. It's not his go and it's a silly silly decision. I'm all for guys running the lines and joining in the attack but you don't start the attack if you don't have the skills for it.

Turnovers under big pressure are the fault of the teams for not provide the pressure relief. Turnovers when you've taken a mark at half back and decide to play on with an opponent right on you or decide to dance round the man on the mark are on you.

We've got Howe, Salem, Lumumba even Dunn, Jetta and Garland to be creative from half back. Tommy Mc just needs to play within himself now.

• Like 2

He did have 2 terrible play ons though. One in the 1st quarter, one in the last. It's not his go and it's a silly silly decision. I'm all for guys running the lines and joining in the attack but you don't start the attack if you don't have the skills for it.

Turnovers under big pressure are the fault of the teams for not provide the pressure relief. Turnovers when you've taken a mark at half back and decide to play on with an opponent right on you or decide to dance round the man on the mark are on you.

We've got Howe, Salem, Lumumba even Dunn, Jetta and Garland to be creative from half back. Tommy Mc just needs to play within himself now.

Surely it's less of a problem if he runs downfield and kicks downfield. It's mainly when he runs or kicks across the field that he gives me the jitters.

And if his downfield teammates anticipate that when he gets a mark he's going to look for an opportunity to play on and they give him an unexpectedly early lead, it's more likely to come off. Especially if a fellow defender also anticipates this and runs over to either shepherd or receive a running handball if it looks like he's running himself into trouble.

I'd far rather see guys like T-Mac take the game on, which will always mean taking risks and making mistakes, rather than play safety-first risk-free football.

• Like 2

His development has been pretty much textbook - just gets a little bit better every year and is now approaching his prime and genuine AA teritory

I can't believe the rest of the comp just allowed us to snap up his brother for chump change

• Like 2