Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Dion Prestia

1 hour ago, Petraccattack said:

Whats the chances we can get both Prestia and Hurley?  Considering the cost it would have to be close to impossible

Would obviously be dependant on whether or not Hurley goes somewhere purely for the money, I don't imagine we would be offering the most (if we are interested).

I can't see us landing both, if we land one, imo, it would be Prestia. His family after all, does supply fruit to the club. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2016 at 8:12 AM, Petraccattack said:

Whats the chances we can get both Prestia and Hurley?  Considering the cost it would have to be close to impossible

Not likely, really depends on Jesse Hogan, if the club thinks he might leave they'll most likely ramp up and offer to Hurley to get a ready made replacement for Jesse, if we could Re-sign Hogan and somehow get both Dion and Hurley we could go close to top 4 next season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffen said:

Not likely, really depends on Jesse Hogan, if the club thinks he might leave they'll most likely ramp up and offer to Hurley to get a ready made replacement for Jesse, if we could Re-sign Hogan and somehow get both Dion and Hurley we could go close to top 4 next season.

Don't know if Hurley would be a replacement for Hogan. He'd be played in the backline.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Would obviously be dependant on whether or not Hurley goes somewhere purely for the money, I don't imagine we would be offering the most (if we are interested).

I can't see us landing both, if we land one, imo, it would be Prestia. His family after all, does supply fruit to the club. 

I don't think the issue would be salary cap space. They'd either come for what they"re worth or not come at all. It seems pretty clear from what Roosy said about Jesse that this Club is being run properly now and won't stuff the list management by over paying players.  Dawes contract was majorly front ended so if he went the savings wouldn't be as great as some think. 

I think the problem will be getting the trades done for both.  I thought Hurley was feasible because he was a free agent but he's not and dealing with Dodoro is a fricken nightmare.We already don't have this years first pick. It would probably have to cost some very good players as well as next years first rounder and all our half decent picks. 

• Like 2

I haven’t made up my mind either way on Prestia. But the counter argument to targeting Prestia is this:

Firstly, our inside midfield is already overstocked with talent. On the weekend the team included Viney, N Jones, Tyson and Oliver in the middle, plus Vince and Michie in defence and Petracca and up forward. Our outside midfielders were Salem, Harmes, Kennedy and Bugg – all of which could potentially go inside at some stage. In the VFL our best players this season have been Neal-Bullen, Trengove and Newton. And on the injured list now are Brayshaw (who has question marks over his head), Vandenberg and Kent.

Secondly, Prestia has come off a serious knee injury and has been playing ordinary football this season. He started the year well, but he has averaged only 80 Supercoach points since round 3. (By comparison, Tom Bugg has averaged 84 points this year.) Maybe he can come back and play well next year with a strong preseason. But maybe he can’t get back to his best.

Thirdly, the rule changes have seen the game open up this season. I think our greatest need is some outside players (who can still win their own ball when required) but offer pace and skill on the outside. And I don’t rate Prestia’s kicking or ability on the outside as highly as the masses here on Demonland.

Personally, I would definatly target Hurley before Prestia. And even if we miss out on Hurley, I would like to see Prestia return to playing at a higher level to even consider him. Especially given the likely cost of $600K plus our 2017 first round pick. 

Just now, daisycutter said:

prestia is a no brainer. if he passes medical and available at a price we can afford, we take him.

thats about the long and short

a) available ?  Probably

b) Desire to consider Melb ?  Probably

c) Contract suitable for all parties ? Probably

chances of being a Dee in 2017 ? Very possible

Does that preclude us getting anyone else we can headhunt ?  Not at all

What would Hawthorn do?

The caveat is the injury. The context is the cap. Otherwise, there should be no question concerning the list quality or needs-based recruitment. The game is built from the middle. Prestia would be in our top four mids now and for the next five years. Anyone outside that bracket is trade fodder.

Just now, beelzebub said:

Prestia will cost our 2017 first round pick plus $600K of salary cap space. Gaining Prestia is not without cost, particularly given we need to sign Hogan, Tom McDonald, Petracca and Oliver. We don't have the luxuries afforded to GWS.

2 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

thats about the long and short

a) available ?  Probably

b) Desire to consider Melb ?  Probably

c) Contract suitable for all parties ? Probably

chances of being a Dee in 2017 ? Very possible

Like your post. Interested in the last 3 words. What's your theory on getting Hurley if we get Prestia.

My sense is you are probably right on a to c which would mean a deal would get done early in trade week given our good trading relationship with GC. Probably already discussed it in a broad "what if" in last years trading deal. Assuming that happens and next years first pick is gone how will we get Hurley. 

12 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

prestia is a no brainer. if he passes medical and available at a price we can afford, we take him.

Interestingly he mentioned his knee injury will have to be managed for the rest of his career. 

24 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

Prestia will cost our 2017 first round pick plus $600K of salary cap space. Gaining Prestia is not without cost, particularly given we need to sign Hogan, Tom McDonald, Petracca and Oliver. We don't have the luxuries afforded to GWS.

Hurley can just walk. ;)

21 minutes ago, It's Time said:

Interestingly he mentioned his knee injury will have to be managed for the rest of his career. 

So did $cully.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, It's Time said:

That's footy code for " I know what I'm doing and know where I want to go so no hawkers, no unsolicited clubs thank-you"

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, It's Time said:

Like your post. Interested in the last 3 words. What's your theory on getting Hurley if we get Prestia.

My sense is you are probably right on a to c which would mean a deal would get done early in trade week given our good trading relationship with GC. Probably already discussed it in a broad "what if" in last years trading deal. Assuming that happens and next years first pick is gone how will we get Hurley. 

Hurley is free stsget (sts)

He can tear up his Druggy Hill paperwork and walk into the MFC on agreeable terms.

6 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Hurley is free stsget (sts)

He can tear up his Druggy Hill paperwork and walk into the MFC on agreeable terms.

Actually Beez unfortunately it's not that straight forward. I read an article about it last week but can't recall where. It was in one of the main papers. If you recall Carlisle had this option last year and chose not to go down that path as it would mean Essendon would have got no compensation for him leaving. He wasn't prepared to do that to them and I doubt Hurley will do it to them either. If he does chose to try and do it he has to first go to some AFL grievances tribunal and show that the Club's actions were enough to release him from his contract. I think he's then classed as a Delisted Free Agent and the Club get no compo for his departure. Can you imagine the interference there will be from Gill to make sure this doesn't happen. Failing success there, I believe he could go to the Courts to argue the Club's actions voided his contract. Court cases can take years. I'm not sure it would be possible to go through the Courts process and have a pre season little own play next year. 

Leaving all costs aside I would take the druggie first he is a proven AA who can play at either end and fills a spot where we are very ordinary. On top of that his body is sound well for the next few years I assume.

Chance of getting him?

Probably low

He can walk if he wants to.

Wtf would you care for a club that jabbed you with God knows what and situated out of footy for a year.

Carlisle has already shown he's fwit and has flawed thinking .

If Hurley wants to he can. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Don't know if Hurley would be a replacement for Hogan. He'd be played in the backline.

Better down back, but if Hogan left I think we'd absolutely be able to snare both of Prestia and Hurley. Hurley was pretty good up forward early in his career so could play as a swing man. Would still need a dedicated forward to replace Hogan though. 

FWIW I am convinced Hogan will stay, and therefore we'll end up with Prestia, but not Hurley IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

He can walk if he wants to.

Wtf would you care for a club that jabbed you with God knows what and situated out of footy for a year.

Carlisle has already shown he's fwit and has flawed thinking .

If Hurley wants to he can. 

Hope you're right. Hope he wants out, wants to come to us, wants to be paid what he's worth and within our salary cap, wants to shafts Bumbers comes to us for no picks or players. 

Just now, It's Time said:

Actually Beez unfortunately it's not that straight forward. I read an article about it last week but can't recall where. It was in one of the main papers. If you recall Carlisle had this option last year and chose not to go down that path as it would mean Essendon would have got no compensation for him leaving. He wasn't prepared to do that to them and I doubt Hurley will do it to them either. If he does chose to try and do it he has to first go to some AFL grievances tribunal and show that the Club's actions were enough to release him from his contract. I think he's then classed as a Delisted Free Agent and the Club get no compo for his departure. Can you imagine the interference there will be from Gill to make sure this doesn't happen. Failing success there, I believe he could go to the Courts to argue the Club's actions voided his contract. Court cases can take years. I'm not sure it would be possible to go through the Courts process and have a pre season little own play next year. 

that's a fair summation it. doubt it would go to court if that possibility arose. would be a lose/lose situation all round

the dfa possibility boils down to hurley's satisfaction/disatisfaction with essendrug. this is something we don't know because of compensation actions and appeals still pending everyone is keeping their mouths shut

if he goes the trade route and essendrug are their usual difficult selves and it looks like no trade is possible then it will get very interesting if hurley is set on leaving

• Like 1

We don't have to get Hurley ...if too difficult. We will be looking elsewhere, bet on it.

We don't have to get Prestia either but we might ;)

3 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

that's a fair summation it. doubt it would go to court if that possibility arose. would be a lose/lose situation all round

the dfa possibility boils down to hurley's satisfaction/disatisfaction with essendrug. this is something we don't know because of compensation actions and appeals still pending everyone is keeping their mouths shut

if he goes the trade route and essendrug are their usual difficult selves and it looks like no trade is possible then it will get very interesting if hurley is set on leaving

So far they've only lost three players and with two of them Carlisle and Melksham got overs in the trades. They got picks 17 & 37 for Ryder. That's about what we'd have to come up with if we have to trade which for sure will be the first option. I would imagine if it got to the end of trade week and the Bumbers have stopped a trade there would be a real chance he'd go to the AFL Grievances tribunal and they would have to let him go. So I guess that would give us a strong hand in negotiations if he kept this threat hanging over their heads. They've done enough to him to let the poor bugger go and he would be the only player they'd lose for possibly less than his full market value. A mind boggling result considering what they've done to those boys.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

We don't have to get Hurley ...if too difficult. We will be looking elsewhere, bet on it.

We don't have to get Prestia either but we might ;)

Agreed. I"m sure if he wants too much and others are prepared to pay it we won't be interested even if he can walk to us for nothing.

Jaeger O'meara is a really interesting one, lots of talk that he is pretty keen on moving to Melbourne and one of the big reasons i am hearing is he and others don't have a lot of confidence in the Suns medical department and feels a Melbourne team would be a better option in terms of getting past his injury and having a rewarding career. 

pretty significant risk/reward factor here, he is in my opinion in the top few most talented young midfielders in the comp, and if he were to get fit and stay fit he would significantly improve our side, and his injury means we potentially might be able to land him without selling the farm.

I personally don't feel we are in the position to take a risk like this just yet, and Dion Prestia is a much safer target, but it will be really interesting to see what happens with him, i think he'll end up at one of the big Melbourne clubs, Collingwood or Richmond maybe.