Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Dion Prestia

Based upon their first round draft selections in the last several years, Prestia for pick #6 alone is not that bad of a deal at all.

It is more a q of what else is packaged up with it in order to get the deal done.

GC17 have them over a barrel because of a) the size of the contract Tigers have offered him and b) Tigers desperation not to 'miss out' like they did with Treloar.

I reckon it's pretty obvious that Melbourne cooled on him.

There's no first round draft pick to trade and with a midfield of Viney, Tyson, Jones, Oliver, Brayshaw, Stretch and Petracca coming through I don't think the 175cm Prestia was a priority.

Edited by ProDee
  • Like 8

It may be a 'develop our own' mentality to a point. I know Roos said we'd like to bring in an a grader but I don't think there are any on offer. I don't mind strengthening either our draft position if we have our eye on a kid, or bringing in a player based on need, but we aren't going to sell the farm for a player that won't make a huge difference. We're not Richmond. 

I hope we are more interested in a player Damo mentioned later in his news segment - Pearce Hanley. He's the quick, line-breaking, skilful outside wingman we need. A touch older than you'd like but a late starter too.

I only caught the end but i think Barrett was saying there's a number of senior players unhappy up there, and a coach change might be the only hope to keep Hanley, who there has been some serious interest in.

• Like 1

Someone on the Richmond bigfooty board alluded to the fact the "Shemons" supporters are crying today that we missed out out Prestia.

I agreed with him and wrote that we'll have to unfortunately settle with a crappy midfield of Gawn, Tyson, Jones, Viney, Petracca, Brayshaw and Oliver over the next 3-5 years. 

• Like 8

Hope they get Prestia and pay overs hope they land Cloke and pay overs.

They are a joke of a team and are full of serial underperformers and front runners

They are still trying not to bottom out. Wrong strategy and it  will explode again in their faces 2018

And BTW I don't think we need a Prestia now much better to develop our own IMO

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

I can't say I was ever that excited by him.

The Prestia of 2 years ago would have been super exciting.

The Prestia of 2016?  Not so much.  I still think he can be a very good player, but clearly he has some issues with his knee that he needs to overcome before he can contribute to a side consistently again.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Die Hard Demon said:

& Gold Coast after Richmonds first rounder (pick 6 at this stage) .. worth that? I can see this coming back to bite Richmond in the backside. 

That never happens :rolleyes:

Having seen the Murray Bushrangers play this year i can happily say that Richmond have made a huge mistake giving up pick 6.

Why? There is a kid called Will Brodie who is an absolute star in the making. 189cm 82kg inside midfielder who wins the hard ball around the stoppages but also the ability to accelerate out with ball in hand.. his vision and ball use by hand is elite.

He is the type of player you could build a midfield around for the next 10 years.

Prestia is 24 and with knee problems. How many years will they get out of him? 

Brodie is the obvious choice for me.

• Like 1

I think this could end worse for Richmond than the Judd deal for Carlton. They'll end up missing a gun at pick 6 in the draft (Kennedy) who will go on to dominate within a year or two and make every Richmond fan cringe for the next decade.

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

The Prestia of 2 years ago would have been super exciting.

The Prestia of 2016?  Not so much.  I still think he can be a very good player, but clearly he has some issues with his knee that he needs to overcome before he can contribute to a side consistently again.

I agree with this..

I also think that Prestia is a very limited player.. Similar to the likes of Wines. He had an amazing first year, but has hit his peak. Players like Oliver, Petracca and Brayshaw have a much larger scope for improvement. And the uncertainty of an injury prone player is not worth the 600k price tag.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clint Bizkit said:

I can't say I was ever that excited by him.

Same.

I copped a but of flak last trade period on this sub-forum for saying hes not an A grader.   And now hes a Tiger any chance he ever had of becoming an A grader is now gone.

Edited by Petraccattack
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Someone on the Richmond bigfooty board alluded to the fact the "Shemons" supporters are crying today that we missed out out Prestia.

I agreed with him and wrote that we'll have to unfortunately settle with a crappy midfield of Gawn, Tyson, Jones, Viney, Petracca, Brayshaw and Oliver over the next 3-5 years. 

I prefer the "GoDees" put down.

Can hardly call us Shemons when we belted the snot out of them last time. Even their lame duck coach said as much. I guess that makes them our Bitchmond......

• Like 8

Trading for Prestia is a gamble. Every club pursuing him would have performed their "due diligence" and would be fully aware of his medical issues. The unknown is how his knee will bounce back and whether or not he will have any longevity in the game. I will not go into detail about his specific problem, but either Dion will make an excellent recovery and the knee will stand up to the rigours of AFL football for a number of years with no functional decline, or he will develop ongoing issues and never return to his best.

If the risk that Richmond are taking pays off, they will look like geniuses. If it doesn't, they will look stupid.

I would be staggered, however, if Richmond will need to give up pick 6 for Prestia. Gold Coast will know the risk Richmond are taking and the potential that he is "damaged goods". That clearly reduces his currency and I doubt Richmond would be foolish enough to waste pick 6 on a gamble as big as this one. Gold Coast will make noise and publicly make high demands to appease their supported base, but the reality is that I doubt they have much of a leg to stand on when push comes to shove at the negotiating table.

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Having seen the Murray Bushrangers play this year i can happily say that Richmond have made a huge mistake giving up pick 6.

Why? There is a kid called Will Brodie who is an absolute star in the making. 189cm 82kg inside midfielder who wins the hard ball around the stoppages but also the ability to accelerate out with ball in hand.. his vision and ball use by hand is elite.

He is the type of player you could build a midfield around for the next 10 years.

Prestia is 24 and with knee problems. How many years will they get out of him? 

Brodie is the obvious choice for me.

It's a good point dazzle, although they may be able to hold on to that pick and trade a later first rounder if they move on someone like Deledio.  What if GWS, North or the Bulldogs, for example, believe he is the X-Factor to get them into a Grand Final, then they may cough up their first rounder in the teens to get him (Deledio), which the Tigers flip to GC for Prestia.  

I hope GC dig their heals in a demand a high price.  Make them squirm.

5 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

It's a good point dazzle, although they may be able to hold on to that pick and trade a later first rounder if they move on someone like Deledio.  What if GWS, North or the Bulldogs, for example, believe he is the X-Factor to get them into a Grand Final, then they may cough up their first rounder in the teens to get him (Deledio), which the Tigers flip to GC for Prestia.  

I hope GC dig their heals in a demand a high price.  Make them squirm.

This is what they should do, but they won't if Hardwick remains coach. He is too close to those players to trade them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AdamFphlebeb said:

This is what they should do, but they won't if Hardwick remains coach. He is too close to those players to trade them. 

He shouldn't be coaching then.  If they palm off their first rounder for Prestia, after all they've said about the mistakes they've made in the past, then they are stupider than I give them credit for.

6 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

He shouldn't be coaching then.  If they palm off their first rounder for Prestia, after all they've said about the mistakes they've made in the past, then they are stupider than I give them credit for.

I agree. But I would have agreed with you on that score had you said they should move Hardwick on 3 years ago.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2016 at 2:48 PM, mo64 said:

On Footy Classifieds, Hutchy, Barrett and Lloyd were all pumping up Melbourne, and Roos in particular. They asked Judd for his opinion, fully expecting him to agree. Judd basically said that the season should be seen as a failure because we didn't make the finals. And if we were content with our incremental improvement, we're destined for failure. 

11 hours ago, SaberFang said:

It's actually possible that Richmond could remain in the 7th-12th bracket for another ten years purely off topping up alone. They will most certainly never get close to a Grand Final, let alone a premiership, with the current core they have.

And they clearly have no intention of bottoming out and rebuilding from the ground up, despite how obvious their garbage list is for every non-Richmond supporter. 

It's going to be a glorious period of Anzac Eve matches in years to come; one that could rival Colonwood's QB record over us.

Actually the Richmond core of Rance, Riewoldt, Martin, Deledio and Cotchin is as good as any teams. It's how bad they fall away that is their problem. This is Richmond's ball and chain. If they trade them out they'll have nothing and if they keep them they'll need to recruit very very well to go past 8th spot. If it was my list I'd trade out Deledio and Cotchin and get as many top 10 picks in as I could

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SaberFang said:

Cotchin is so overrated it isn't funny. He could scratch his ass and commentators would fawn over it.

He'd still get a top 10 pick

Edited by Roost It

5 hours ago, ProDee said:

I reckon it's pretty obvious that Melbourne cooled on him.

There's no first round draft pick to trade and with a midfield of Viney, Tyson, Jones, Oliver, Brayshaw, Stretch and Petracca coming through I don't think the 175cm Prestia was a priority.

As we said a few months ago. Too much. Too short. Too injured. Too costly. Too smart. Too late.