Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Dion Prestia

4 hours ago, Grand New Flag said:

He will be in a red & blue next season. Deal done Dangerfield style.

I call bs on this. If he leaves - and everything ive heard is pretty lukewarm on that - it wont be to MFC. 

Mind you Dawes's money would pay for him.

5 hours ago, mo64 said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves when it comes to the strength of our list. You can't have too many quality mids. Prestia allows vets like Jones and Vince to spend time down back and prolong their careers. 

exactly

5 hours ago, Moneider96 said:

Dangerfield style?

Kitty style...  a harpoon style,  no gettin away til the jobs done style.   ?????? I hope.

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

Yes. We are buying Prestia a house in Moggs Creek

not sure about moggies creek moon,  but some down 'Devils Creek' way,  definately should be in the running I would hope?

Devil's Creek runs along the base of Mount Buffalo

http://www.devilscreek.com.au/

I've said it before and will keep saying it any time it comes to mind.

Recruiting 'stars' is fraught with trouble. High pay packets lead to overall wage inflation. Over-spending of draft picks for that extra 15% performance which makes someone a star instead of a 'run of the mill first-rate player' is a risky business.

Got to look for value and suitability when recruiting established players.

Gunston, Gibson, Burgoyne, McEvoy, Lake, Hale - Hawthorn committed respectable value and got exactly what they needed. Some of whom turned into, or returned to being, top players after the trade. Burgoyne was the most 'expensive' in picks and also arguably the least value of the group, but still a great match for what the Hawks needed to add to their list and I wouldn't think they'd regret it.

The other Benchmark clubs of the last decade, Geelong and Sydney, have either developed from within (Geelong) or also practiced astute trading for suitable and good-value players (Sydney).

What's interesting is that it has been the clubs 'past their run' who have now sought to bring in the huge stars, first Sydney with Franklin and Tippett, and now Geelong with Dangerfield.

You could suggest that, once you are already a top club, that's the time to target stars. Discounts for reputation make a big difference.

So...

If getting Prestia is going to cost us 800k/year for six years, even as a free agent without a trade price, I'm not convinced.

What do we really need right now? What is the biggest gap in our list?

Is any single person going to say anything other than 'a reliable ruckman/forward to support Gawn and diversify our attack'?

Who is going to be our David Hale?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

I've said it before and will keep saying it any time it comes to mind.

Recruiting 'stars' is fraught with trouble. High pay packets lead to overall wage inflation. Over-spending of draft picks for that extra 15% performance which makes someone a star instead of a 'run of the mill first-rate player' is a risky business.

Got to look for value and suitability when recruiting established players.

Gunston, Gibson, Burgoyne, McEvoy, Lake, Hale - Hawthorn committed respectable value and got exactly what they needed. Some of whom turned into, or returned to being, top players after the trade. Burgoyne was the most 'expensive' in picks and also arguably the least value of the group, but still a great match for what the Hawks needed to add to their list and I wouldn't think they'd regret it.

The other Benchmark clubs of the last decade, Geelong and Sydney, have either developed from within (Geelong) or also practiced astute trading for suitable and good-value players (Sydney).

What's interesting is that it has been the clubs 'past their run' who have now sought to bring in the huge stars, first Sydney with Franklin and Tippett, and now Geelong with Dangerfield.

You could suggest that, once you are already a top club, that's the time to target stars. Discounts for reputation make a big difference.

So...

If getting Prestia is going to cost us 800k/year for six years, even as a free agent without a trade price, I'm not convinced.

What do we really need right now? What is the biggest gap in our list?

Is any single person going to say anything other than 'a reliable ruckman/forward to support Gawn and diversify our attack'?

Who is going to be our David Hale?

Our David Hale won't cost us much. I can't see Prestia costing us the farm either. He'll be out of contract and I'd say the offer would be between $450-500. Very doable, given the cap increase. We need more class and ball-winning ability in the midfield. Just because we go after Prestia doesn't mean we won't look to fill the other obvious gaps in our list. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AdamFarr said:

Speaking of Collingwood, this season will be fascinating. How will they respond to the Sydney thumping? If they really struggle this year, they won't be in the hunt for anyone.

Line by line they'll stand together.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Norm Smith's Curse said:

I call bs on this. If he leaves - and everything ive heard is pretty lukewarm on that - it wont be to MFC. 

Mind you Dawes's money would pay for him.

No it wouldn't. But if you added Terlich's it would, with some left over.

He is far to good a player not to go for. 

MFC has chased Dion hard the last two years, family of long term Dees supporters, but given he was contracted the Suns would not even entertain the idea, now they don't have a choice, and i have no doubt the Dees will be neck deep in chasing him.

My info is he is about 80-20 towards leaving and the only chance of him staying is if the Suns win a heap of games, play finals and look like contending for a flag, he and a few others don't seem to be huge fans of Eade. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

No it wouldn't. But if you added Terlich's it would, with some left over.

Add Melksham's salary to our cap space from this year and we could offer a fair wage with a bit of creative loading within a contract offer.

Would like us to re-sign Tom McDonald first though.

3 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Wasn't he suppose to be playing in the red and blue this year according to GNF? I'll believe it when it happens. 

The fact that people actually still take GNF serious is so so entertaining.

• Like 4

To me the question we need to answer, before considering Prestia, is what type of player, position, role do we need to complete the build for a premiership tilt? 

If id answered at half time on Saturday I'd have said outside runners. Other times I might say second ruck/forward? CHB?

No question on Dion's value, but for MFC 2017+ do we need another inside mid? At the moment I think a Sean Burgoyne type would suit us better, though not sure who that might be... 

Just now, PaulRB said:

To me the question we need to answer, before considering Prestia, is what type of player, position, role do we need to complete the build for a premiership tilt? 

If id answered at half time on Saturday I'd have said outside runners. Other times I might say second ruck/forward? CHB?

No question on Dion's value, but for MFC 2017+ do we need another inside mid? At the moment I think a Sean Burgoyne type would suit us better, though not sure who that might be... 

we could always try and get the toump back........

• Like 1

Just now, daisycutter said:

we could always try and get the toump back........

We need one of stretch, hunt and ... To come good.

7 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

So are we saying we're right for midfield depth then? Because that's how you'll win a flag.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

This was my exact thought. We have to remember eventually Christian Petracca will turn into that inside bull midfielder along with Oliver Brayshaw Viney Tyson. With also Vandenberg Jones Vince Trengove who all roll through there as well. 

The big thing that killed us on the weekend was the counter attack and outside run of GWS. Bugg was struggling to keep up with Scullys pace and Josh Kelly too was giving them dash and class into their forward 50.

Would Josh Kelly implement our midfield more then Prestia?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AdamFarr said:

So are we saying we're right for midfield depth then? Because that's how you'll win a flag.

Not we should be continuing to stock pile on midfield talent but also balance it out also. I just think for our midfield to go to the next level we need a serious outside classy midfielder to top it off.

Smith and Hill are too who just fit in perfectly at Hawthorn.

All this garbage about types - we need good players period. 

Is Prestia a gun? Yes..... We will find a spot for him if he wants to come and we can do the deal. 

If we have depth in a certain type then great - if that means we end up losing a good player who wants a trade for opportunities then guess what we will get another good player in return

• Like 5