Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Does Brayshaw play round 1?

Wrecker45

Gone are the days of gifting games to early draft pick who aren’t ready and are just kids. The nightmare of Jack Watts debut will be etched in the memories of Melbourne supporters for far too long. But Brayshaw has been dominant at Casey and from all reports is just a natural footballer who wins his own footy and uses it well.

For all the talk of not playing kids in the Roos era we played JKH and Salem early. Neither of them tore it up at Casey to the extent Brayshaw has. Is it time to build a legacy of kids having to smash down walls to break into the team or do we reward form and give Brayshaw a game?

Gone are the days of gifting games to early draft pick who aren’t ready and are just kids. The nightmare of Jack Watts debut will be etched in the memories of Melbourne supporters for far too long. But Brayshaw has been dominant at Casey and from all reports is just a natural footballer who wins his own footy and uses it well.

For all the talk of not playing kids in the Roos era we played JKH and Salem early. Neither of them tore it up at Casey to the extent Brayshaw has. Is it time to build a legacy of kids having to smash down walls to break into the team or do we reward form and give Brayshaw a game?

Nope. Has played very well in the PRACTISE matches. When he starts consistently doing it in the real VFL games, THEN he may debut.

No need to rush him in. Although he is a very, very exciting prospect.

• Like 2

Two years ago Jack Viney made his debut in Round 1 and was our best player on the day. Ollie Wines debuted on the same day and dominated in opposing colours.

I think we need our best team on the park to be any chance of beating the Suns. On exposed form, Brayshaw is too good for VFL and should play.

A yes from me.

• Like 2

I wasn't keen on it, but if he has performed well thus far - then I'd play him.

Throw him in the deep end and see if he can swim. The kid is a dual sided/inside mid, the record of those types performing straight up is extremely good.

I liken Brayshaw to Selwood, Wines and Martin. But even Sidebottom performed off the bat. I'd start Brayshaw in and leave him there.

I would be shocked if Brayshaw wasn't more effective than Jack Viney at present. Viney needs so much work that I just sit here and shake me head when I watch our games.

• Like 1

I think the real question is his tank. Can he run out a AFL game? If no, he might be considered as sub.

Do we have multiple players who don't have the match fitness and will need minimal minutes? If so he may be left out for team balance until he can play his share of minutes.

From Roos' presser, he will be considered,

but let's leave him at Casey to develop properly

Sometimes I don't understand comments like this.

Why does leaving him at Casey equate to developing him properly?

All players have different areas to develop and will develop at different stages and in different areas.

In my eyes, it's our management of first year players in the past that has greatly hindered 'development'.

Angus is developing just fine. And if he gets his chance on the weekend it's because he has shown that he is ready to contribute at AFL level.

It's how we manage him for the season that will be different. Just as it was for JKH and Salem last year.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 5

Can confirm Brayshaw's family have been informed he is likely to debut this week.

I stress 'likely' - Still three days until team announcement obviously.

Brayshaw four weeks ago to coaching staff "So what do I need to do to play Rnd 1?"

Coaching Staff. "The established players are going to have the first opportunity to cement places in that team but if you play well in the VFL you may push for a spot"

So 3 matches, 2 X BOGs and 1 time in the best players later the selectors now have to decide if Angus's form and fitness warrant a call up. I would suggest that it may come down to team balance and match ups but my guess is that he will play

• Like 1

I can't think of one player in our entire affiliation with Casey who has benefited from a prolonged spell in the VFL. Fair enough, players such as Stretch and O.McDonald need to grow into their bodies and spend time playing against men, but Brayshaw is already too good for that level. Most players who go to Casey come back worse, eg JKH last year.

Give him a few weeks in the AFL and see how he goes - if he struggles, you send him back to Casey for a couple of weeks to get his confidence up and try again; if he thrives, then everybody wins.

Edited by poita
  • Like 5

Just on Jack Watts' debut - I think the media has created a myth about it. Sure, the club shouldn't have promoted it in the way they did (ie the press conference before the game) but Watts was far from our worst player on the day. From memory he got as many touches as our captain, James McDonald, and he used the ball well. The footage of those flogs from Collingwood jumping on him (led by chief [censored] Maxwell), has been replayed countless times. What doesn't get replayed is the umpire awarding Watts a free kick as a result.

I'd like to think Roos will play Brayshaw if he thinks he's ready. He will just be careful not to create the impression that we are relying on players this young for our improvement.

Edited by needafullback
  • Like 1

Sometimes I don't understand comments like this.

Why does leaving him at Casey equate to developing him properly?

All players have different areas to develop and will develop at different stages and in different areas.

In my eyes, it's our management of first year players in the past that has greatly hindered 'development'.

Angus is developing just fine. And if he gets his chance on the weekend it's because he has shown that he is ready to contribute at AFL level.

It's how we manage him for the season that will be different. Just as it was for JKH and Salem last year.

Well said.

What's not to say the league environment will see him develop faster?

It might only be 3 practice games at VFL level but from all reports he's a class above that. If he's restricted to 'developing' at VFL level footy there's every chance his development will be adversely affected.

you would have thought the stepping stone would have been playin in NAB challenge so I assume as he wasnt even in any of the 29 man squads he wil be no chance to play round one.

also not sure he is fit enough to play a full AFL game, he was running out of steam in the VFL from all accounts

give him 2-3 more weeks and then let him loose

We are still a cellar dweller I understand the concern about his development and not wanting to rush him into the side. But we are no Hawthorn and we need to win games of footy.

Also Angus is no Jack Watts. I put him in the same camp as Salem, give him game time as appropriate and needed. The main criteria for me is whether he is in our best 22. We have to play our best 22 week in week out. We need to win games of footy.

I agree that he seems to have earned it and a debut against the Suns with a younger group would be better than a debut against hardened older Collingwood or Essendon thugs.

Even so would make sure fellow experienced players such as Cross or Dunn are given latitude to respond to any unnecessary violence. The team must make sure that they protect each other. Perhaps this is a lesson they need to learn when giving off a handball etc. I would hope that Miller has been showing the forward line how to make and provide space that was what he appeared to do so well.