Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Melbourne v Essendon @ Etihad Stadium - 20th March, 2015

Whispering_Jack

Positives for me are Herriter Frost Garlett and Vandenberg getting thir hands on it . Didnt like the foward set up at times and reckon it will look different round 1 . scrap it was kinda like we do to sides occasionally

• Like 1

Some predictable overreacting on demonland tonight. I feel those vfl listed players were playing for their lives tonight, whereas most of our guys seemed to be taking it easy. Unacceptable but not the end of the world. Hopefully we learn a bit from their desperation and are better for it.

taking it easy??? Who are you kidding?
  • Like 1

it wasn't just an error. This was absolutely basic schoolboy football. DONT KICK ACROSS THE FACE OF THE OPPOSITIION GOAL. Especially when there's 2 minutes left. Slow it down, keep possession.

I was pretty astonished that with the three guys there to go for the mark they let the shortest and worst kick take it. Didn't even get time to get that thought out of my mouth before he turned it over though.

Positives for me are Herriter Frost Garlett and Vandenberg getting thir hands on it . Didnt like the foward set up at times and reckon it will look different round 1 . scrap it was kinda like we do to sides occasionally

yep there were both negs and positives to come out of the game but disappointed in both viney and toumpas, poor tonight expected better

Some predictable overreacting on demonland tonight. I feel those vfl listed players were playing for their lives tonight, whereas most of our guys seemed to be taking it easy. Unacceptable but not the end of the world. Hopefully we learn a bit from their desperation and are better for it.

If they were "taking it easy" that's even worse in a way because Roos definitely looked like he was taking things seriously in the box.

Yes, it's just a preseason game, but I can't understand how anyone thinks that what the team dished up tonight was acceptable. It's not the fact that we lost, even if we had scraped over the line the sum result is the same.

Consider this: the players, set-up and game style that we saw tonight is not going to change significantly between now and Round 1. If we are to be competitive against real AFL teams, what can we change?

- Decision making, especially when under pressure

- Ability to create and run into space across the whole game

- Ability to lock the ball deep in our forward line, and convert pressure into goals

I'm sure there are many more, but I think these three things would be a good start.

And also, Nasher, the reply to 'Dude' is not 'Mate', it's 'Sweet'.

ashton_dude_sweet.jpg

• Like 1

I'm so [censored] over this football club.

I'm so [censored] over excuses.

To lose to a squad barely half worthy of an AFL list is deplorable. Doesn't matter how you cut it. We were at all-but-full strength and completely [censored] useless.

Why did I re-sign?

• Like 3

Their disposal last week was exemplary, against a side that offered no pressure in the first half.

Tonight brought things back to reality.

I hope they learn pretty damn quick, or we are in deep do do's

• Like 1

I just don't want us to be the first team to lose to these rejects.

That's what I am wirried about tbh.

This is what I said near the start of this thread.

F a r k I'm smart!!!

I'm 31, and that is not even close to the worst I've seen. You remember all those times we lost by 100+, right?

Yeah, but we were playing against a bunch of no names who are apparently not on performance enhancing drugs

• Like 1

A singularity of tonight

A disjointed bunch who weren't all privy to what was the 'plan' accounted for a group of supposed talents come reasonable players under the tutelage of a footy neo god.

Anyway you dress that up it was below ordinary; not even close to excusable and makes me wonder about where we really fit into things.

Golden Boy must be laughing his face off whilst 90% of melb...staff and players commit fraud.

I really thought we'd turned a corner....alas smack into that Mack truck.

Maybe they laid bets against ourselves.

Beaten by a vfl side....

The shame.

Edited by beelzebub
  • Like 3

Always an excuse with this mob.

"It's only a practice match."

"It's only the coach."

"It's only because we tanked a few years ago and we're scarred."

"It's only because our opposition was too good."

"It's only because the conditions were too hot."

"It's only because we don't know how to win games because we're used to losing!"

"It's only because we get scared if a team we should beat takes the lead!"

"It's only because the opposition had more to prove! They're playing for their careers!"

Good teams don't need excuses because their actions do the talking. Does backing up that pitiful second half last week with the tripe tonight indicate a team that is learning... anything?

Edited by Lamashtu
  • Like 4

Their disposal last week was exemplary, against a side that offered no pressure in the first half.

Tonight brought things back to reality.

I hope they learn pretty damn quick, or we are in deep do do's

we're in do do's
  • Like 1

Viney made a mistake, hell so many of them made mistakes it is impossible to blame viney alone. Tackling was poor, disposal was woeful, no team work, handball to players in worse positions. I think the team has been believing their own press ...

Not sure.

Apart from a lack of experience - still a problem for us - my reading is along the lines of the players, in a sense, trying too hard to do the right thing. They're very aware of the game plan and what they're supposed to be doing - as opposed to just "doing". Further, you get the feeling that at times they're not actually focusing on what they're doing at all, but rather on what they need to be doing next - thus the dropped, straight-through-the-hands marks (Bail, Hogan and Frost all dropped sitters in the last quarter ...)

There's also definitely a problem with trust (= fear of making mistakes). It's remarkable the difference you see with HL - he just goes for it, not matter what. He's not afraid to kick to a one-on-one, because he's played all his footy in a good/strong team, where even with a one-on-one, you'd back your team mate to get a win, and even if you do lose, there's a good chance you'll be able to win the ball back. Our players hesitate, consider, reconsider, wait, and then find themselves under even more pressure.

I also suspect that it must mess with your mind somewhat playing Essendon. We know it's a patched-together side, and in some ways, the expectation that you should always win, and win easily, is perhaps not the easiest place to be.

• Like 2

well roos didnt come out and blame jack. But no doubt he will be shown the footage and told what he should have done.

Demons coach Paul Roos refused to blame Viney for the error, saying his teammates should have used their voices to direct the youngster.

"You would like to think more guys around him are talking to him and directing him and letting him know what's going on," he said.
"I think that's the next stage for us as a group that it's less about the individual, but more about the team.
"And that's probably the thing you take out of tonight. If you play as a team, which obviously all the good sides do, you get a much better result over a four-quarter period."

Seeing these games as somehow carrying a seperate meaning, as if we have hidden depths or talents yet to be unveiled is bordering on delusion. This IS our real season, and frankly shows us everything we will get in round 1. Except for the hard work of Chris Dawes of course. Being utterly objective, we will be easily beaten in the first four rounds. We know this BECAUSE of what we saw tonight. That's ALL we've got.

Correct Webber. We were full strength against who?

The same against the Bulldogs and we just fell in.

• Like 2

Rule 1

Never ever do what Viney did.

don't need a bunch of team mates coaching him...it should be known....its common bloody sense.

Hope he feels like shlt tonight and hope even more he never repeats that rubbish

• Like 1

A singularity of tonight

A disjointed bunch who weren't all privy to what was the 'plan' accounted for a group of supposed talents come reasonable players under the tutelage of a footy neo god.

Anyway you dress that up it was below ordinary; not even close to excusable and makes me wonder about where we really fit into things.

Golden Boy must be laughing his face off whilst 90% of melb...staff and players commit fraud.

I really thought we'd turned a corner....alas smack into that Mack truck.

Maybe they laid bets against ourselves.

Beaten by a vfl side....

The shame.

Essendon were paying over 5 bucks....too bad I didn't get on....

• Like 1

Only listened to it but I was disappinted & I'm worried for our season.

Handballing to stationary people about to get tackled or guys who can't handball 2m just shouldn't happen.

Our team really needs guys who can kick. It was apparent tonight what we know, that being that Tyson, McDonald and viney will most likely never be elite kicks. But they will likely play for the next 10 years. So can we afford to carry m jones, grimes, Mckenzie, bail in the team as well? That's 7 regular 22 who can't kick. That's a real hurdle to overcome before we can compete in my mind. Yes they can occasionally hit a lace out target but..

Or in reverse watts, Salem, a jones, Jetta, hogan (loved hearing about his field kicking all night) - I love the ball in their hands. The balance needs to improve :(

Ps apparently only 5 top ups in essendon a team tonight. Mostly their kids.

Edited by Wunders