Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Monday, 9th March, 2015

It was on the news as well, I think people tend to forget this was his first serious hit out in over a year, the last thing we want is to break him again, I reckon if Newton's eye is not better he will be 'rested' as well

But is it game sore or back sore Saty?

That is the question.

If it's back sore God help us again.

Can u find out if possible?

Don't worry I already have. The following email sent earlier today.

To whom it may concern

May I suggest that when you publish a start time of 12:00 for a open training session you stick to it.Today I sat and waited for nearly an hour and a half for the main training session to begin.Yes you updated the start time on twitter at 11:00am but I and I assume many others were already in transit by then. I watched supporters turn away and leave before the main session began, including many families with small children .This is not rocket science. It is time this organisation started to treat it’s supporters with some respect instead of the contempt that we are all too frequently served up. You plead for 35K signed members before round one, yet offered up todays effort. Seriously unprofessional MFC.Yours Sincerely

Well done outside.

Let us know what the responce is if u get one.

• Like 1

Why would he train indoors just because he's got a sore back. Sounds a bit weird. But hey, if the kid ever gets out on the park, it'll be a bonus for us, that's the way I'm looking at it.

Fitzy was really crook picked up a vicious virus and spent a week in bed, totally [censored] off, he had done really good pre season and found another way to miss games, back to full fitness, told him to stay away from mirrors and ladders

They are being cautious with both Ben Newton who has a beautifully coloured right eye and Nev Jetta, after the head knocks, pulled them out of any drill where there might be contact, both said they were ok

Will Fitzy and Watts be available for the dogs game?

Don't worry I already have. The following email sent earlier today.

To whom it may concern

May I suggest that when you publish a start time of 12:00 for a open training session you stick to it.Today I sat and waited for nearly an hour and a half for the main training session to begin.Yes you updated the start time on twitter at 11:00am but I and I assume many others were already in transit by then. I watched supporters turn away and leave before the main session began, including many families with small children .This is not rocket science. It is time this organisation started to treat it’s supporters with some respect instead of the contempt that we are all too frequently served up. You plead for 35K signed members before round one, yet offered up todays effort. Seriously unprofessional MFC.

Yours Sincerely

I sympathise with your experience. I didn't bother going with my kids because this is the kind of thing I've seen enough of. No merchandise. Bugger all communication.

This is the same club that advertised events via their MBC that never happened. When I wrote an email asking about one event, I was told that the plan either never existed or had been rescheduled/changed. Yet I had responded to an RSVP sent to me from the club website AND it was still advertised on the LinkedIn page.

These are small things in-and-of-themselves. However they keep happening year in, year out. And they fail to engage and make the most of supporters who are keen - despite the utter tripe served up over years by this club - to be involved.I'd guess that a whole bunch of dads took their kids in and couldn't find any merchandise to buy for their enthusiastic/bewildered kids. These "little details" matter. If you cannot get these ones right, I guarantee that there are lots of others that we don't see that aren't right either.

• Like 3

Everyone is so bloody precious

precious about getting something simple right ?

If you advertise a time - stick to it - that's not precious - that's treating your members with respect.

• Like 6

I wonder how many Demonland attendees have taken the time to have a shot the Club, but haven't taken the time to provide the rest of us with a few comments on the actual training.

What does that tell you ?

It tells me that something so simple has been botched up and angered people.

How many times have we all heard how important membership is to clubs ? Ours is one of the clubs that desperately needs members - we finally have something to look forward with new recruits and a stable coaching and administrative team. Then the club angers members by stuffing up something relatively simple.

I am not overreacting - I just get disappointed when the club gets the easy stuff so wrong.

Edited by nutbean
  • Like 3

What does that tell you ?

It tells me that something so simple has been botched up and angered people.

How many times have we all heard how important membership is to clubs ? Ours is one of the clubs that desperately needs members - we finally have something to look forward with new recruits and a stable coaching and administrative team. Then the club angers members by stuffing up something relatively simple.

I am not overreacting - I just get disappointed when the club gets the easy stuff so wrong.

Thanks for the 'voice of reason' nutbean. I made the post to which you refer because I could see yet another training thread being derailed by what I thought at the time, to be an overreaction to a relatively minor irritation. Now, having read this and the related thread more closely, I can understand the disappointment and even anger that this issue has generated. My opinion has been swayed by the strength of feeling shown on Demonland, including from quite a few posters whose views I strongly respect. Clearly there is an underlying issue here which our Club needs to remedy, and it won't be fixed by simply 'papering over the cracks'.

Edit: typo

Edited by Deeoldfart
  • Like 4

precious about getting something simple right ?

If you advertise a time - stick to it - that's not precious - that's treating your members with respect.

I personally think that having the opportunity to kick on the oval beforehand, a sausage sizzle and a message that was posted on their website/twitter/app is perfectly acceptable for the change of time.

I believe the general consesus of most people who were to attend the training would be that it was not an issue, it is maybe a slight inconvenience rather than disrespectful. But at the end of the day, the majority of the posters on this site thought the wheels were off for the year due to a poor second quarter in our first NAB cup game of the year, clearly a testament to the vast majority of people who posts temperament and thus yes I think most of the posts come across as rather prescious.

Dont get me wrong, probably something that should easily be avoided but at the same time I believe the fuss that is being kicked up is an overreaction but that is just my opinion

I personally think that having the opportunity to kick on the oval beforehand, a sausage sizzle and a message that was posted on their website/twitter/app is perfectly acceptable for the change of time.

I believe the general consesus of most people who were to attend the training would be that it was not an issue, it is maybe a slight inconvenience rather than disrespectful. But at the end of the day, the majority of the posters on this site thought the wheels were off for the year due to a poor second quarter in our first NAB cup game of the year, clearly a testament to the vast majority of people who posts temperament and thus yes I think most of the posts come across as rather prescious.

Dont get me wrong, probably something that should easily be avoided but at the same time I believe the fuss that is being kicked up is an overreaction but that is just my opinion

If you hadn't noticed, we've been a shambolic club for the past 8 years. We all want to see the club being successful on and off the field. If they can't get the small things right, what hope have we got. People are peeved because they care about the club, and these small things matter.

• Like 2

If you hadn't noticed, we've been a shambolic club for the past 8 years. We all want to see the club being successful on and off the field. If they can't get the small things right, what hope have we got. People are peeved because they care about the club, and these small things matter.

It is exactly the small nature of this that has everyone peeved. It is not a particularly hard thing to get right. The idea that you can have a kick beforehand doesn't cut it - especially for those with small children ( with short attention spans !).

Move as many closed sessions as you want - this does not affect the punters.

Inconveniences are disrespectful as you have invited the membership to come and watch and kept them waiting for over an hour.

• Like 1

The ground that we have made up in terms of an administration point of view as well as a list development point of view is enough of an indication to show the football club are well and truely heading on the right track.

A change of time to training is not an indication that the club has no hope.

I also care about the club and understand that these things can happen and still maintain that it is not as big of an issue as being indicated by people posting. I can understand that it is an inconvenience for people with small children with short attention spans but how entertained would they have been by training anyway if they wanted to leave after having waited for an hour

• Like 1

Anyone hear any more about Jesse? i'm assuming he just had the day off after getting back from Perth?

Non-appearance of Jesse Hogan @melbournefc training Monday just a management issue, stayed in Perth on weekend and bit sore from game.

The ground that we have made up in terms of an administration point of view as well as a list development point of view is enough of an indication to show the football club are well and truely heading on the right track.

A change of time to training is not an indication that the club has no hope.

I also care about the club and understand that these things can happen and still maintain that it is not as big of an issue as being indicated by people posting. I can understand that it is an inconvenience for people with small children with short attention spans but how entertained would they have been by training anyway if they wanted to leave after having waited for an hour

It's not a hard thing to get right and it did damage. No one said that the club had "no hope"

I would find it offensive if I were one of the ones put out and someone told me that I had no right to be annoyed.

The club needs to apologise, compensate the fans in some way with some sort of gesture, and ensure that these events are managed properly in the future.

• Like 2

sounds like you haven't read the whole thread mm, nor the other thread specifically on this topic

you say " a message that was posted on their website/twitter/app is perfectly acceptable" but it wasn't on the website or app, just on twitter. secondly the tweet was sent late and after many people had already left home. thirdly they were still late (by another half hour) after the revised time and fouthly no-one from the club presented at 12 to explain to those who were there.

and then there were the other lost opportunities mentioned by other posters which seem to have escaped you

at least 3 posters who attended with young children had to give up and leave. one all set to buy promised kid memberships and merchandise

this too, follows shortly after arranging and advertising a promotional intra-club practice match at casey at a fan unfriendly time just a week before

if you think that is "is perfectly acceptable" and "it was not an issue, it is maybe a slight inconvenience" and " a testament to the vast majority of people who posts temperament" who you say are "prescious (sic)"then you seem to have missed the point. those posters being reasonably critical are not just being "precious" but genuinely want the mfc to be a truly professional club in all aspects and especially so in attracting young kids to the club.

you should rethink your position

• Like 8

sounds like you haven't read the whole thread mm, nor the other thread specifically on this topic

you say " a message that was posted on their website/twitter/app is perfectly acceptable" but it wasn't on the website or app, just on twitter. secondly the tweet was sent late and after many people had already left home. thirdly they were still late (by another half hour) after the revised time and fouthly no-one from the club presented at 12 to explain to those who were there.

and then there were the other lost opportunities mentioned by other posters which seem to have escaped you

at least 3 posters who attended with young children had to give up and leave. one all set to buy promised kid memberships and merchandise

Twitter comes up on both the app and the Melbourne website, which is why it is clearly the quickest easiest and most effective method of announcement.

I can't see eye to eye with someone who says because Melbourne ran late they won't buy memberships for their kids or themselves, but the fact that there was not a properly run membership tent is not surprising due to the email being sent to existing members and the fact that most do it as a volunteer service to the club.

Merchandise is always available at the demon shop, which everyone knows

Mo64 pointed towards us not getting the small things right and therefore having "no hope"

Twitter comes up on both the app and the Melbourne website, which is why it is clearly the quickest easiest and most effective method of announcement.

I can't see eye to eye with someone who says because Melbourne ran late they won't buy memberships for their kids or themselves, but the fact that there was not a properly run membership tent is not surprising due to the email being sent to existing members and the fact that most do it as a volunteer service to the club.

Merchandise is always available at the demon shop, which everyone knows

Mo64 pointed towards us not getting the small things right and therefore having "no hope"

If you can't see the issue here than I suggest you don't start your own business.

• Like 8

It is true that the twitter messages also appear on the website. However when an organization makes a last minute change they should use every method they have to communicate it. It may fail to reach some, eg. those who have already left, but it is disgraceful not to try.

Everyone stuffs up from time to time and I expect the PR-types were all concentrating on the Family Day and may have thought they could get away with an hour delay without upsetting too many, not knowing it would stretch even longer to breaking point. Nevertheless, the MFC should issue an apology.

I expect the reason they haven't is because they fear it may then lead to the stuff-up appearing in the media. But they should realise it is likely to anyway, especially when there is not much AFL news. And will only look worse if they haven't apologised. Apologise, and even if there is an article in the press, it will be greeted with a giant yawn.

If you can't see the issue here than I suggest you don't start your own business.

All I'm suggesting is that there is clear reasoning for the major gripes.

If the membership issue is a major loss, I suggest you volunteer your time for the club in order to better position the club.

The easiest method of communication is via Twitter I don't see how anyone can see that, they probably didn't have very much staff in the office due to a public holiday.

Yes it's not ideal to change the time on the day of the event, but I think the outcry it has caused is laughable.

I still maintain that the large majority dont actually care and this majority stayed and were able to enjoy training

Edited by Mad_Melbourne