Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

THE MATCH: NET GAIN IN THE WEST

Demonland

NET GAIN IN THE WEST by George on the Outer

Apart from the hope of a win to start the 2015 season, was there anything to be gained or learned from the match against the Dockers?

The Demons were playing against a team with a home ground advantage, in fact a home training ground advantage, who had finished 4th in 2014. The Demons, remember, finished a lowly 17th with a meagre 4 wins. Surely, a one-sided contest could have been expected?

Well, it was a NAB Practice match and while the stifling conditions and the missing players from each side make it nearly impossible to assess if there is something better to hope for in 2015 for the Demon fans, the answer must be that there is.

The 18 point margin in the end could have so easily been in the Demons favour, could they have been able to execute some really simple tasks. Twenty metre kicks that missed targets by ten, three set shots at goal from inside thirty in the final quarter that failed to produce a solitary score, a single point from the whole second term, these were the things which let them down in the end.

By way of contrast, Fremantle made the most of its opportunities when it had them, and made a habit of hitting targets when most needed. In the end it produced the scoreboard results to win the game.

But it was not all doom and gloom. Although Fremantle must be questioning the value of these events, when injuries to Barlow, Mundy and Duffield have compromised the start of their season.

For the Demons, there were too many players who simply did not contribute at all during the game, yet others lifted beyond expectations to show their tardy team-mates the amount of effort required to play at AFL level.

Heritier Lumumba showed he will be a positive live-wire in the back line and up the ground. Sam Frost, likewise was a force to be reckoned with for his first outing in the red and the blue (or in this case, the red, white and the blue. Dom Tyson was superb and Nathan Jones was his usual self showing the way.

Aaron vandenBerg, coming off the rookie list can see an early elevation if he performs like this again in his next match, and Ben Newton showed more than enough until taken from the ground injured.

Paul Roos played a lot with positioning in the first half, which didnt always play to the team's strengths, but these games are the only chance to do exactly that without consequences. Jeff Garlett in the middle, Frost up forward, Lumumba all around the place were all experiments to see what alternatives could be used during the season proper. When he returned to a more stable structure, the game started to swing Melbourne's way, kicking 3.4 to 1 point in the third term.

The finishing let them down in the end and must be worked upon and while a win would have been good, the team remained competitive and was never blown away as we have seen all too often in recent times.

Bring on the next game!

MELBOURNE 0.3.1 0.3.2 0.6.6 0.6.7 (43)

FREMANTLE 0.3.2 0.7.4 0.7.5 0.9.7 (61)

GOALS

Melbourne: Dawes, Hogan, N Jones, Kent, Newton, vandenBerg

Fremantle: Pavlich, Taberner 3, Crozier, Mayne, Walters

SUPERGOALS

Melbourne: Nil

Fremantle: Nil

BEST

Melbourne: N Jones, Lumumba, Tyson, Cross, T McDonald, Newton

Fremantle: Hill, Taberner, Neale, Pavlich, Mzungu, Sutcliffe

INJURIES

Melbourne: Newton (cut head)

Fremantle: Barlow (right ankle), Mundy (ankle), Duffield (left shoulder)

SUBSTITUTES

Melbourne: McKenzie replaced Newton at half-time; vanderBerg replaced Jetta at half-time

Fremantle: Blakely replaced Barlow at three-quarter time; Smith replaced Mundy in the fourth quarter

Reports: Nil

Umpires: Farmer, Dalgleish, Stephens, Edwards

Official crowd: 8000 approx. at Fremantle Oval

Thought it was an ok effort. Room for improvement (rucks and up forward) but Lumumba , Frost , Hogan , Newton and the Van improve the group.

Said this in the other thread, but may as well put it in the post match:
We are a bottom 6 side who didn't get blown away by a top 6 side, and could have even perhaps won. HUGE POSITIVE.
What is sad for me, is that I'm not sure Grimes will soon have a place on the team anymore once kids like Salem, and to lesser extent Toumpas (who won't be a gun like those drafted around him, but will be a bloody solid competitor all the same) fully mature and develop.

Edited by The Song Formerly Known As
  • Like 6

A really good hit out for the boys, Playing a top four contender at home is not an easy task, and we matched it with them for a lot of the game, resting Jetta and Newton in the second half who were two of our better players.

We have also unearthed five new players who will be regulars and improve the team in Newton,Vandenberg,Frost,Lumumba ,and Garlett.....then there's Hogan.

I'm feeling excited about the year ahead.

• Like 2

One of the big positive for me was the way Hogan crashed the pack which created a spill and a goal to Kent. I haven't seen that since the David Neitz era where he would do this every game.. If thats what we have install for us this year i am going to enjoy seeing the like of JKH Kent and Garlet feed off him.

Im calling it now but i think Newton will have a Anthony Miles/Dom Tyson like year this year. Just his class and inside work was fantastic. Add him to an already impressive midfield in Jones,Tyson,Viney,Vince and he will go alright.

• Like 4

I know its only the first game of the season and its a meaningless practise match on a hot day in Perth, but I saw the same frustrating turnovers, missed targets, kicking on the full under no pressure from the usual suspects. I did like how we moved the ball quicker through the middle but going forward we were deplorable. I'd love to know how many intercept marks Fremantle had inside our F50. Oh well, doggies next week should give us a little bit more of an idea of where we are at....

• Like 1

Well, thanks to whoever deleted my post-match thread, moved my post-match post to the match thread then locked that thread and started a post-match thread. Here's what I wrote over there::

The good:

- Jonesy: I reckon most people would throw this down as a given by now, but when was the last time we had a player of his class that we knew would give us an a-grade, if not marquee level game, week in week out? He may not be a star of the competition, but he is the heart and soul of this team. The guy is a gun.
- Newton: Stoked to see his preseason form show against a top 4 level team. I expected to see him have a dip and give us something on the inside, but did not expect his level of class. Is going to be a gun for us.
- Van den berg... Bloody hell... This guy can can find a football! On top of that, he was damaging with it! Anyone with dream team is mad not to throw this guy in.
- Hoges: First game back and played like he was born for it. Wasn't a superstar on return, but played his role and played it well. Was consistently creating contests the whole night and even if he never improved, which he will, could carve out a respectable career at the level he played at tonight.
- Lamumba: huge presence. Wasn't the best I've seen him play, but brought so much to the team just by being there.
- McDonald and Frost: Could not ask for better pillars in defence.
- Tyson: forgot to mention him because I was gonna throw him in with Jonesy. All class. Not much to say except that this guy is a gun.
- Etc: Offence was much better. Generally impressed with the younger lads' endeavour. Showed a more offensive side of the game.
Dawes: One. Grab.

The bad:

- Grimesy: Love the guy, but is so unreliable at the moment. Hope this improves with more time to focus on his own game.
- Kicking long to Garlett: let him crumb. The amount of times we kicked long to a contest between Garlett and one or two of Freo's taller defenders was just silly.
- Dunny: Nowhere near last year's standard.

There's probably more, but I mainly wanted to focus on the positives anyway. A number of other players showed good signs and bad.

Overall, we've noticeably improved from last year. All the new recruits added to the team and I think losing Frawley has actually made us better.

The most disappointing thing was that we were outclassed.

We looked well coached, had a good balance of offense and defence etc, but we were simply outclassed by Freo. Vince would've helped and if Watts is improving his contested game, then he would've been of benefit as well.

From what I can read into a single NAB cup game, we have finally turned the corner and are reaching towards mediocrity. We won't make the eight, but we will be in the lower echelon of that mix.

Bring on next week.

• Like 10

Still only kicked 6 goals, but many positives to be found.

Just need to remember what all that hard work getting into the fwd 50 is actually about. We squandered a lot of chances. But we HAD lots of chances and that wasnt a flook or accident. We're developing something.

Some interesting signs on the wall though

• Like 4

BB asked in the other thread who was on Walters and Balintine. Not sure about Balintine and it's correct he was no where to be seen.

But in the second quarter Grimes was moved on to Walters and Walters really turned the game during that time. Watch the replay if you can.

We know Grimes disposal can be a bit average but he is usually defensively sound. I was concerned last night and I am a big fan of his. If he keeps playing like that I'm not sure BB you can keep telling everyone it's rubbish that he won't b in the 22 come round 1.

• Like 4

I know its only the first game of the season and its a meaningless practise match on a hot day in Perth, but I saw the same frustrating turnovers, missed targets, kicking on the full under no pressure from the usual suspects. ...

Funnily enough if I was a Port supporter I'd have to say the same things about some of their players last night. Though given Port's position on the ladder I guess they weren't 'usual suspects'.

ed: I see Ross Lyon agrees.

Edited by sue
  • Like 1

This is the type of game which can be viewed from a "glass half full" or a "glass half empty" approach; and you could be justified in mounting your argument. I prefer to take the "why isn't someone getting me another beer!" approach, when I reach the halfway mark (yes looking forward to the future).

Observations:

• first up the hot, humid conditions was not conducive for big men; so can't judge [Pedersen], Jamar, Gawn, Dunn, etc to harshly
    • Still Dunn looked disinterested
    • Garland doesn't seem to have a spot
    • and [Pedersen] is not a ruck
  • Some players were played out of position which effected them and/or others around them
    • Our small forwards didn't really fire until we removed one of the talls from forward line
    • Frost could potentially be an AA backman, definitely not a forward though
    • Lumbumba likes space, not an inside midfielder
    • Garlett is not a midfielder
  • Our game plan looked a lot more progressive (not quite aggressive) despite the conditions effect on the skills. When was the last time we came close to matching inside 50's let alone have more. As the forwards combinations get better and our skills improve (remember the conditions, and missing players i.e. vince, watts) this will convert into goals.
  • Our midfield matched it with one of the best, and for large portions of the game I thought we were on top, particularly around the contest - some of the quick gives was fantastic (yes the didn't have Fyfe, but we didn't have Viney and Vince)
  • Improvements is already noticeable:
    • Frost looks like he will add to our Key Position backs, and his run and delivery looks to add to our transitional play
    • McDonald and Jetta gradual progression looks set to continue
    • Lumbumba improves the backline as well, and adds to our transitional play
    • Jones, Tyson and Newton looks like the foundation of a decent 'inside' midfield that have enough skills to also deliver. Hope Viney can step up
    • A forward line with Dawes, JKH, Garlett, Kent and perhaps Vanders provides a lot of forward pressure that will make life easier for our midfield
  • The whipping boys are not as bad as they are made out:
    • I will be lambasted for this, but I thought McKenzie played well (we certainly didn't lose anything for him replacing Jetta) and his opponent rarely gets noticed. A lockdown player on their dangerous small i.e. (the Crowley role) is perfect fit for him - it's actually what backs are meant to do first, before getting possession and being creative (Lumbumba)
    • Grimes on a night where everyone made mistakes, including Jones, Tyson, Cross and Lumbumba; Grimes gets highlighted for his. I didn't really notice him today, which I don't know is a good thing or bad thing.
    • Jamar is competitive in the ruck and their ruck didn't really play of him; okay Jamar didn't get stats around the ground but not did his opposition. If he can do that in games, then that is a breakeven and serviceable.
  • There is potential depth to the side when you consider:
    • Garland doesn't seem to have a logical fit anymore when Frost, McDonald and Dunn are the 3 Talls; Lumbumba, Howe, play medium and Jetta, Grimes, Mckenzie play smalls
    • Watts doesn't seem to have a walk up start when you look at a forward line of Hogan, Dawes, resting ruck, as the talls; Howe, Vanders, resting mid, as mediums; and Garlett, Kent, JKH as small forwards. There is no walkup start as an outside midfielder when Vince, Lumbumba, Salem and Newton can play this role.
    • When Bail or Matt Jones don't even form part of your thinking despite doing adequately
  • Going on what was presented last night against a strong finals side; a starting 22 is taking shape:
    • Backs- Dunn McDonald Jetta; Lumbumba Frost Grimes (Salem)
    • Midfield - Jamar, Tyson, Viney; Vince Jones Newton
    • Forwards - Garlett, Dawes, Bail; JKH Hogan Howe
    • Bench Gawn (ruck third tall), Mckenzie (small back, midfield coverage or lockdown role on dangerous opposition), Salem (for outside run), Vanders as sub or make Salem sub and replace with Cross
    • Okay Cross has to fit in somewhere, and then there's Watts, Kent whilst Matt Jones also has a role to play; Toumpass should also improve - a good position to be in
  • A bit controversial, but I would include Garland as a forward as Hogan/Dawes will need a chop out from a medium tall that can also apply pressure (which unfortunately is not a resting ruck, or Watts) I would probably interchange Howe, Newton and Lumbumba on the wing through a game

Edit updated to include Bail

Edited by Ungarieboy
  • Like 4

Funnily enough if I was a Port supporter I'd have to say the same things about some of their players last night. Though given Port's position on the ladder I guess they weren't 'usual suspects'.

ed: I see Ross Lyon agrees.

Yep, Port were kept right out of the game last night :)

• Like 2

If we clean up our decision making, disposal & forward line structure we most likely would have won that game. Forward 50 entries is what Roos must focus on as well as forward 50 pressure. We are getting enough of the ball I50 based on last night, but to only have 1 mark inside 50 in the first half tells a sorry tale for how effective we were going forward I50.

A context for the game perhaps.

First real hit out against a REAL opposition, who btw actually played fair dinkum. Wasnt a [censored] nancy pancy nab game like many.

A few cobwebs blown away...a bit of rust still there for some. Might take a few games for some to get back into the real swing of things

Training is an obvious essential and match simulation is only that...a weak approxiamation of reality. You cant stop start , reset, etc as the opposition doesnt give a rats.

We are still seeing a morphing of this list. 10 names on it now wont be at years end. There WILL be some surprises ( for some ) as to who goes. I mention this even now at the early part of 2015 because thats where we are still at...Weve got an 'almost' list.

Some of those wed like to see werent there....that will come.

Weve got a few blokes who CAN play. Thats good. Weve also got a handful that are NQR That will change..in time

Were a lot better already...needs more time and battle blooding

• Like 1

I thought we were alot more physical than i have seen us in the past, every player seemed happy to put his head over the ball, all tackling, all chasing hard and hunting the ball, the whole team looked quicker and quite dangerous in space.

and to be honest, that should be non negotiable of AFL, the fact that is a positive shows how far back we were.

others have knocked the Toump again, and maybe rightly so, but personally i thought he ran really hard, laid some tackles and when he had the ball he was happy to take the game on, and he built into the game, he just needs to keep on building.

Hogan smashed contests, took marks, created alot of scoring options, i can't remember a 0 game player who has been more vital to the structure of a team ever, and this isn't based on hype, it's on what we have seen the kid do.

I was quite impressed with frost when he went back, to me he already offers more than what frawley did.

I thought we were the better team, but Fremantle sensed our lapses and went bang, which is probably something we still need to learn, seeing when we have the momentum and making sure we impact the scoreboard as much as possible.

I know its only the first game of the season and its a meaningless practise match on a hot day in Perth, but I saw the same frustrating turnovers, missed targets, kicking on the full under no pressure from the usual suspects. I did like how we moved the ball quicker through the middle but going forward we were deplorable. I'd love to know how many intercept marks Fremantle had inside our F50. Oh well, doggies next week should give us a little bit more of an idea of where we are at....

Spot on. Let's not kid ourselves. The missed targets and turnovers that I've seen at training continued in a practise match.The intensity level will further increase when the real season starts, and that's concerning. We've still got too many players that can't play two-way football, and need to be weeded out of the team. And they're the same players that struggle with ball in hand at training. They include favourite sons in Garland and Grimes, and we can't afford to keep carrying out of form players.

Something has to be done about our forward line and backline structures. Can't have resting ruckman or Pedersen on the ground with Hogan and Dawes. When fit, Howe needs to play forward as a marking option. Similarly, we can't have 4 bigs in the backline. Dunn, T Mac and Frost is enough. Need another running defender to go along with Jetta and Salem.

On a positive note, Newton, Lumumba, Frost, Hogan, VDB and Garlett all made contributions. Our clearance work was pretty good against quality opponents.

• Like 1

It was pretty apparent that Roos and his team were trying things out in the first half (experimenting with players in different positions to where they might be expected to be played), so it is very encouraging to see that we won the second half of the game which was when the team were probably set up in a more "conventional" manner.

I thought that rather than appearing disinterested or lazy, Dunn was really feeling the effects of the conditions more than most (or was he possibly ill?)... he looked very uncomfortable, was perspiring profusely and was having trouble gripping the ball as a result. I think we'll see a different Lynden Dunn next week.

• Like 2