FAREWELL JEREMY HOWE

What

All part of the great Paul Roos plans to make someone pay a premium price for him.

0 disposals in a half of footy? Apparently the best 0 disposal half the coach has ever seen. Who was the last 0 disposal in a half player he had seen?

Put it this way, a think a majority on here have called for Howe to be dropped at some stage this year. What would this do to his trade value?

We have a pure genius in charge of the team, and is playing this perfectly. I'm starting to get excited about who we may be able to bring in to the club because of Roos' efforts.

Exactly right mate

The fact in itself that Howe hasn't been dropped is probably just an exercise in spin

Always plotting is Roosy

• Like 2

Howe turned a corner in the Geelong game...Roos said it was his best game since he joined.

What he left unsaid it was Howe's most unselfish, team oriented game ever!

Hence the high praise in is press conf for Howe's no touches in the first half.

Seems like Howe was told: don't even try to mark, let alone take a speccie!

Howe (finally) listened, sacrificed 'his own game' and brought the ball to ground!

Howe may look lazy but it may well be he plays to have fun doing his own thing. ie rather selfish

If he and the rest of the team play unselfish football and we win a few more Howe might want to stay.

Altho if Sir Paul Roos is right the orange people to our north may get to finals faster than us and he may go.

Either way, if Howe continues to help us win games rather than play his own game, I will wish him well.

Roos' job is to get the best out of his players. That's what he is trying to do with Howe. Unless he has written him off like Frawley and Sylvia.

Its called coaching. Howe's best is well good enough to be elite. We just don't seem to be seeing much consistency in his performances but the coaches know intimately what they want him to do and how he is measuring up against those ideals.

Howe's ability to compete in the air and either mark or bring the ball to ground allowed us to not only straighten us up against the Cats without Hogan, but to also provide a lot of opportunities for our smalls. I think he played a terrific non-selfish game like many of you guys have said. It's players like that we actually need in our side, regardless of their consistency. At the end of the day, he is very important to our structure than a top 10 pick, especially when Hogan is out of the side.

Edited by juzzk1d
  • Like 5

Um, Howe did play well in his 0 disposal half.

Again - admitted bias being a CHF - but he hit packs, chased blokes, got to contests, and rarely allowed Geelong's defenders to have an easy grab and a switch to the other flank (all our forwards did this really but Howe was the focal point at FF in replace of Hogan).

Forwards are measured in goals scored and I get that but as someone who has to kick goals, compete so that others can kick goals, and organise the mess of the forward line - I can tell you that Roos wasn't blowing smoke; he liked the way Howe didn't go up looking for touches or slide off a pack looking for a spill when he was charged with the spilling.

You can tell me it's all just 'to get his value up' but don't be so basic with your thinking around forwards.

• Like 6

All part of the great Paul Roos plans to make someone pay a premium price for him.

0 disposals in a half of footy? Apparently the best 0 disposal half the coach has ever seen. Who was the last 0 disposal in a half player he had seen?

Put it this way, a think a majority on here have called for Howe to be dropped at some stage this year. What would this do to his trade value?

We have a pure genius in charge of the team, and is playing this perfectly. I'm starting to get excited about who we may be able to bring in to the club because of Roos' efforts.

Yes. Two seconds before Sylvia left, Roos said that he was a "required player" and that Melbourne could hardly afford to lose players with Colin's experience. At the time I remember thinking that he wasn't going anywhere.

Mitch Clark was the best player on Melbournes list according to Roos and Chip, our AA full back, was talked up too.

In return we have got Vince, Lumumba and Brayshaw. None of the Melbourne players who left are playing at the moment.

Whilst obviously Roos can't see into the future re injuries, he is good at this stuff and it wouldn't surprise me if he was talking Howe up for negotiations with other clubs at the end of the year. If Howe had of finished the game with zero possessions I reckon Roos may have had him in contention for Brownlow votes

• Like 3

Exactly right mate

The fact in itself that Howe hasn't been dropped is probably just an exercise in spin

Always plotting is Roosy

Roos would already know Howe's trade value and exactly if/where he is going.

No need to wait till the end of the year!

Recruiters talk to each other all the time. By now the cards for Howe are on the table.

The best thing to increase price is his performance...actions speak louder than words.

By playing his role (and showing discipline and another string to his bow) his price would be enhanced.

Doesn't need Roos to add spin.

Roos' mid-season reviews on all players has been refreshingly honest without spin.

Roos is neither a genius nor seem to have Machiavellian tendencies!!

You guys seem to believe your own spin!!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

Howe turned a corner in the Geelong game...Roos said it was his best game since he joined.

What he left unsaid it was Howe's most unselfish, team oriented game ever!

Hence the high praise in is press conf for Howe's no touches in the first half.

Seems like Howe was told: don't even try to mark, let alone take a speccie!

Howe (finally) listened, sacrificed 'his own game' and brought the ball to ground!

Howe may look lazy but it may well be he plays to have fun doing his own thing. ie rather selfish

If he and the rest of the team play unselfish football and we win a few more Howe might want to stay.

Altho if Sir Paul Roos is right the orange people to our north may get to finals faster than us and he may go.

Either way, if Howe continues to help us win games rather than play his own game, I will wish him well.

If I remember correctly, he said that Howe's first half was the best zero possession game he had seen a player have.

Again - admitted bias being a CHF - but he hit packs, chased blokes, got to contests, and rarely allowed Geelong's defenders to have an easy grab and a switch to the other flank (all our forwards did this really but Howe was the focal point at FF in replace of Hogan).

Forwards are measured in goals scored and I get that but as someone who has to kick goals, compete so that others can kick goals, and organise the mess of the forward line - I can tell you that Roos wasn't blowing smoke; he liked the way Howe didn't go up looking for touches or slide off a pack looking for a spill when he was charged with the spilling.

You can tell me it's all just 'to get his value up' but don't be so basic with your thinking around forwards.

I think this was a particular tactic against Geelong who rely on their defenders marking and setting up play. More so than normal this year where their midfield and clearance game is not strong.

Roos has copped some flack in the last few weeks for not being on top of his tactics but I think this is short sighted and with all the rubbish going on about Oxley and Collingwood the one thing most missed is how Buckley said they weren't able to play their normal game.

Roos is a master at setting up a team to negate another teams strengths. It doesn't mean we are always going to win because at the end of the day we don't yet have the cattle.

It's going to be interesting to see how we negate the WC midfield this week. Priddis drives it with Nat giving them first use, I think he will choose to shut down the runners in Gaff & Shuey...Cross to Gaff, Bernie to Shuey.

Even though Priddis drives things he's not a damaging kick so we might let him accumulate and stop his accomplices.

Well, this is not really suff for a Howe thread but it felt right to continue on a discussion of tactics and how and why Howe was used as he was last game.

• Like 1

My last comment about Howe looking lazy was before the Geelong game. His work in that game was exemplary and the role he played contributed enormously to our win.

He just needs to get consistent at delivering that every week.

• Like 1

Recruiters talk to each other all the time. By now the cards for Howe are on the table.

The best thing to increase price is his performance...actions speak louder than words.

By playing his role (and showing discipline and another string to his bow) his price would be enhanced.

Roos' mid-season reviews on all players has been refreshingly honest without spin.

why would he would put spin on players that aren't 'puting contract talks on hold'

he's gone and Roos knows it

he also knows painting him in the best light possible is likely to get us the best return on the asset we are about to lose

• Like 2

Roos is a master at setting up a team to negate another teams strengths. It doesn't mean we are always going to win because at the end of the day we don't yet have the cattle.

It's going to be interesting to see how we negate the WC midfield this week. Priddis drives it with Nat giving them first use, I think he will choose to shut down the runners in Gaff & Shuey...Cross to Gaff, Bernie to Shuey.

Cross, Bernie and Viney each have the ability to shut down very good midfielders, as you say, this serves us very well for coming up against better midfields and levelling the playing field. I like it a lot.

I'm presuming you're talking to me, so I'll ask you to highlight where I am guilty of this.

You say Howe played well in the first half, I would say that he played his role. Clearly we have a difference of expectation.

Hence why he is pumping him up at any given opportunity.

I would be very surprised if he is at the club next year. Time will tell.

why would he would put spin on players that aren't 'puting contract talks on hold'

he's gone and Roos knows it

he also knows painting him in the best light possible is likely to get us the best return on the asset we are about to lose

He did this with Frawley last year. Frawley wouldn't commit when Roos asked him mid-year so he basically said he'll take that as Frawley leaving and told him he would be played for the rest of the year to keep his value up.

Edited by Clint Bizkit

MFC must sign Howe and Garland

No we don't, if players want to go and we get value for them you let them go. Everything must be on mutual terms with a contract if a player wants more than they are worth to the club you thank them and move them on.

We haven't missed much over the past two years, Vince for Sylvia, H for Clarke and Brayshaw for Frawley. You even look at Tyson and Salem for Kelly.

I wouldnt have Howe or Garland in the must keep category, be good if they stayed but not vital they do

• Like 5

No we don't, if players want to go and we get value for them you let them go. Everything must be on mutual terms with a contract if a player wants more than they are worth to the club you thank them and move them on.

We haven't missed much over the past two years, Vince for Sylvia, H for Clarke and Brayshaw for Frawley. You even look at Tyson and Salem for Kelly.

I wouldnt have Howe or Garland in the must keep category, be good if they stayed but not vital they do

And what do you do to get value, Dr? You play them in the seniors. If they have a game where they get 4 possessions, you tell the world how important they were to the team.

He did this with Frawley last year. Frawley wouldn't commit when Roos asked him mid-year so he basically said he'll take that as Frawley leaving and told he he would be played for the rest of the year to keep his value up.

and it worked a treat as we got pick 3

• Like 2

And what do you do to get value, Dr? You play them in the seniors. If they have a game where they get 4 possessions, you tell the world how important they were to the team.

Correct, just like we did with Frawley, we put him somewhere he could show a bit of versatility, was Frawley worth pick 3 no way in the world he should have been second round pick 20.

Look at Howe same same Hbf, forward creating value by showing that he isn't a one position player.

Don't be supprised to see Howe in a Purple jumper next season.

Cross, Bernie and Viney each have the ability to shut down very good midfielders, as you say, this serves us very well for coming up against better midfields and levelling the playing field. I like it a lot.

Forgot Viney, he's the one likely to run with Priddis. Should be interesting to see who can go lower and harder at the ball.

Correct, just like we did with Frawley, we put him somewhere he could show a bit of versatility, was Frawley worth pick 3 no way in the world he should have been second round pick 20.

Look at Howe same same Hbf, forward creating value by showing that he isn't a one position player.

Don't be supprised to see Howe in a Purple jumper next season.

He's that perfect height of the Roosy and Rossy's modern day midfielder - 190cm, yet hasn't been given an extended run in the guts due to his inconsistencies playing of either end's flanks.

I can absolutely see Freo making the call, but would they big nervous about taking another Melbourne HFF on reasonable coin?

An interesting note, in his 90 games, he's amassed 3 Brownlow votes.

Maybe it was a turning point for Jeremy where he committed to the new team plan and his role in it.

Believing in the direction and prospects of the MFC going forward, would be the biggest factor in deciding to stay or go, if I was in Jeremy's shoes.

• Like 1

Maybe it was a turning point for Jeremy where he committed to the new team plan and his role in it.

Believing in the direction and prospects of the MFC going forward, would be the biggest factor in deciding to stay or go, if I was in Jeremy's shoes.

Absolutely. Winning a game at the Cattery by a solid margin is good for the CV

Not many sides have done it since 2007

And even before that it was never easy to win on that cold windy space....

• Like 1

Forgot Viney, he's the one likely to run with Priddis. Should be interesting to see who can go lower and harder at the ball.

Viney will be well suited to match Priddis in terms of how they play their game. If he can do as good a job on Priddis as he did on Selwood, it'll go a long way to helping us win the match. Keen to see this contest.

• Like 1

Hopefully, after the Geelong game he will realize

- he is at a club that is seriously on the rise

- he can contribute to that rise

This may make him 'more positive' in his approach to the game

If so he is a valuable commodity

• Like 7