Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Christian Petracca - Season Ending Knee Injury

dazzledavey36

It's terrible but part of dealing with adversity is TRYING to find the 'silver lining'.

This is the greatest challenge of rehab - if a player/person believes that their time out with injury is completely 'lost' or 'wasted' time, then the recovery, both physically and mentally is compromised.

the question i have for those medicos/physios etc. out there on Demonland , is what the recovery will be like and chance of new injuries developing because of this for
Petracca?
I know when my brother did his ACL (playing footy), they took parts of one of his hamstring out during his reco' and put it in his knee to help repair it (excuse my ignorance if this is no longer the usual procedure). Following this, due to the instability of his hamstring because of the removal of some parts, he continually had hamstring problems such as tears and strains in the hamstring they removed parts from, and has never been able to return to competitive sport properly (he use to play for the Geelong Falcons etc. so was quite a handy footballer). He did all the rehab he was supposed to and more, although obviously didn't have the full medical/rehab support an AFL player would receive.

Now looking at Petracca who has massive hamstrings/thighs, and is very top heavy (very similar to my brothers build actually) my concern are that if they do a similar operation, is he likely to be prone to such injuries? What is the recovery etc. like? Petraccas' body shape concerns me as he is much more "heavy" and "built" than Goddard etc. who people on here are comparing the injury and success that followed to.

• Like 1

Yeah I can understand the comments like he wouldn't have been a major factor for us this year, it's better doing it now than at 25, this year was more a development year for him, he will be fresh to go next pre-season, etc.

I'm sorry but this doesn't make me feel any better.

Let's face it, we've been a pathetic side for 8 years. At times it has been so painful to watch us play week in week out and seeing how poorly a team of professionals can perform. We've seen massive thumpings, games over by quarter time, seasons over by Round 1.

So when you do follow a struggling team, the one thing that keeps you going is seeing exciting talent - particularly young talent. Watching them develop, seeing the highlights and the signs for the future. This is one of the few things we can actually enjoy about the footy.

Yet obviously that small thing is too much to ask for - Hawthorn fans get to see premiership after premiership while we can't even enjoy the most fundamental thing like seeing exciting talent come through. And the sad thing is it's by no means the first time it has happened.

I'm 32 and have supported the Dees my whole life. Here is a list of players with a few things in common:

1) Allen Jakovich - probably the most exciting player to watch and on his day was unstoppable. Fastest first 50 goals in the history of football. Back injury in 1994 - never returns.

2) Sean Charles - cannot forget his QF performance against the Blues in 1994. Exciting, magical half forward. Serious wrist injury soon after - never the same.

3) Stephen Tingay - a brilliant, tough, courageous and skilful player. Had some great games but recurrent injuries brought an end to his time at the club.

4) Jeff Farmer - close to Jakovich as the most exciting player. His season in 2000 was one of the best by a small forward in recent times. Hamstring injuries strike in 2001 and he heads off to Freo. At least we did see a lot of his good years.

5) Paul Prymke - showed signs of being a dominant 10-year centre half back. Struck down by serious (groin?) injury and never returns.

6) Garry Lyon - back injury meant he missed a truckload of games in the latter few years of his career.

7) David Schwarz - one of my favourite Demons of all time. Carey-like season in 1994. Three knee recos later and while he was still a very good player, never allowed to hit the heights he could and would have.

8) Scott Thompson - shows signs of being the dominant midfielder we have needed for years. Goes home to Adelaide at a young age and becomes their star midfielder for a decade.

9) Liam Jurrah - most naturally talented footballing athlete I've seen. Unplayable when on. We all know what happened next.

10) Tom Scully - Chris Judd like first year at the club. Pisses off to GWS on the back of an unprecedented once-in-a-lifetime offer. At least he hasn't kicked on yet.

11) Jesse Hogan - you just know he has it. I was so excited to see him in 2014 and then a back injury ends his year in the pre-season.

12) Christian Petracca - touted as the best and most exciting youngster in the country. Knee injury ends his season.

Now I know the last two are still young and have plenty of time, but I've put them there to illustrate the exciting talent we have been prevented from watching over the years. It's just incredible that a team can cop so much bad luck over a long period of time in relation to its most exciting players and for fans of a struggling club who have little to enjoy at the footy it's just a real kick in the guts.

So while in no way is it the end of the world, excuse me for feeling gutted that once again an AFL season comes around and we are again deprived of seeing an exciting young player develop over the year.

This is precisely my point. You have gone back at least 20 years to compile that list for which the last 3 don't count (you seriously complaining about Scully, GWS put a friggin bow on it)

Do you really think every other AFL club doesn't have NINE 'sad stories' from the last 20 years?

• Like 2

Really? In what way? My recollection of both players is that Judd dominated from his first game and never waned until about 10 years later whereas Scully played one excellent quarter and a few OK games (good for a first year player, but hardly dominant).

That doesn't fit the narrative LDVC. This is where the victims come to have a cry. Never mind Scully didn't make the top10 at GWS last year and we got two first round compos for him oh boo friggin hoo

okay fair point. I guess I was not being as analytical as you regarding the specific comments by HH but rather as a positive expression of the kids potential to make an immediate impact this year.

OK.. even putting aside the probability that CP would have done SFA in 2015... so now you might have to wait one more year for that one kid to make that impact is that seriously such a tragedy

the question i have for those medicos/physios etc. out there on Demonland , is what the recovery will be like and chance of new injuries developing because of this for

Petracca?

I know when my brother did his ACL (playing footy), they took parts of one of his hamstring out during his reco' and put it in his knee to help repair it (excuse my ignorance if this is no longer the usual procedure). Following this, due to the instability of his hamstring because of the removal of some parts, he continually had hamstring problems such as tears and strains in the hamstring they removed parts from, and has never been able to return to competitive sport properly (he use to play for the Geelong Falcons etc. so was quite a handy footballer). He did all the rehab he was supposed to and more, although obviously didn't have the full medical/rehab support an AFL player would receive.

Now looking at Petracca who has massive hamstrings/thighs, and is very top heavy (very similar to my brothers build actually) my concern are that if they do a similar operation, is he likely to be prone to such injuries? What is the recovery etc. like? Petraccas' body shape concerns me as he is much more "heavy" and "built" than Goddard etc. who people on here are comparing the injury and success that followed to.

Hey Song I did my ACL in the Army in the UK when I was 20, I had it fixed by a 'proper' surgeon, way before the modern techniques these days, lasted through another 14 years of service, marathons, and footy till age 50, it is all down to luck....I feel more sorry for Kreuzer at the moment, the ruckman for the 2000's, can't get on the park, Petracca will be back

Edited by The Devil Inside
  • Like 3

Petracca?

Basically no, he shouldn't have ongoing issues. They wouldn't use hamstring grafts if this was the case. I've had 2 recos on the same knee, using right hamstring first and left hamstring second. Yes initially there is a greater chance of tweaking it but mostly it will just be the scar tissue of the cut breaking, which is a necessity anyway and isn't too concerning. Long term the issues he would be looking at avoiding through rehab is reoccurrence, stress related injuries to the other leg, mechanics problems such as spinal or pelvic issues created by protecting the knee, and any affects from the trauma of the initial injury such as torn miniscus or arthritis.

Now days this surgery is so well developed you can walk out of hospital the next day. Fingers crossed everything goes well and this kid is a star for the next 10 years

• Like 3

Petracca?

My nephew had the full reco on his knee and did his hammy whilst lying in bed reaching for the remote. His doctor said its not uncommon for slight hammy strains early on in the recovery. His Dr is the Magpies physiotherapist.

• Like 1

OK.. even putting aside the probability that CP would have done SFA in 2015... so now you might have to wait one more year for that one kid to make that impact is that seriously such a tragedy

Never said it was a tragedy Curry just very disappointing that we will not get to see one of our young guns this year. Also when your my age and been waiting a long long time for the tide to turn, yes, one more year seems a long time.

That's a lot of whisky to go down the hatch between now and then assuming that I am still on this mortal coil.

• Like 2

This is precisely my point. You have gone back at least 20 years to compile that list for which the last 3 don't count (you seriously complaining about Scully, GWS put a friggin bow on it)

Do you really think every other AFL club doesn't have NINE 'sad stories' from the last 20 years?

I would be surprised if another club has had as much bad luck as us in recent times - and I'm not just confining that to players getting serious injuries or leaving the club. On and off the field we have really had a bad run - no doubt we've contributed to many of the problems that have existed at the club but we have also had an extraordinary run of bad luck.

You like to make out that it's just Melbourne supporters having a whinge and playing the victim card. Well, if that's the case, why then are people I know who support other clubs and hate Melbourne saying to me that MFC cannot catch a break and that they actually feel sorry for Melbourne supporters because of the unbelievable run of bad luck.

Fancy getting told off when discussing our bad luck on a Melbourne fans forum with other passionate Melbourne supporters.

• Like 3

Just to pick a nit, Nasher, there is no silver lining here. It is a shocking thing to happen to a young man, and I can't see any good that will come of it. It is just that as a club, we take the hit on the chin and move on. I know that is more or less what you said above, but sometimes the pedant in me just has to be let out ... :blink:

I think the colour is all wrong. It's not a 'silver lining' per se but closer to one of C & B's golden tickets. When he returns, the pressure to be a superstar from game 1 will be removed. He will be excused if he doesn't dominate and hopefully the lifting of this pressure that we supporters would otherwise have placed on him might make it easier for him to become a truly great player.

Hey Song I did my ACL in the Army in the UK when I was 20, I had it fixed by a 'proper' surgeon, way before the modern techniques these days, lasted through another 14 years of service, marathons, and footy till age 50, it is all down to luck....I feel more sorry for Kreuzer at the moment, the ruckman for the 2000's, can't get on the park, Petracca will be back

STOP HOGGING THESE THREADS!

(just kidding :) )

Never said it was a tragedy Curry just very disappointing that we will not get to see one of our young guns this year. Also when your my age and been waiting a long long time for the tide to turn, yes, one more year seems a long time.

That's a lot of whisky to go down the hatch between now and then assuming that I am still on this mortal coil.

According to my sources you already offed yourself in Idaho in 1961, Ernest!

• Like 2

You don't have to go back 20 years to appreciate that we've had bad luck in recent times with our draftees / new recruits.

Hogan, Toumpas, Blease, Tappy and Strauss were all hampered by serious / long-term injuries in their early days.

Heck, even both papers this morning started with the line that "Melbourne's cursed run of luck with injuries has continued"..

I would be surprised if another club has had as much bad luck as us in recent times - and I'm not just confining that to players getting serious injuries or leaving the club. On and off the field we have really had a bad run - no doubt we've contributed to many of the problems that have existed at the club but we have also had an extraordinary run of bad luck.

You like to make out that it's just Melbourne supporters having a whinge and playing the victim card. Well, if that's the case, why then are people I know who support other clubs and hate Melbourne saying to me that MFC cannot catch a break and that they actually feel sorry for Melbourne supporters because of the unbelievable run of bad luck.

Fancy getting told off when discussing our bad luck on a Melbourne fans forum with other passionate Melbourne supporters.

Didn't we catch a break getting PJ and Roos? What about getting Viney and Stretch a full round later than what they were worth? What about 2 compo picks for Scully? What about pick 3 for Frawley? What about effectively swapping Vince for Sylvia? All of that in the last 2-3 years. We did well to get Clark, and even after everything that happened we still have Lumumba as a result. Yes we have had a bad run but it's overblown by most - in any case, I don't know why this injury to Petracca has to be placed in some historical context, with every 2nd poster referencing some sort of 'curse' as if it were their original thought. CP's ACL is a bad one, but there are plenty of players I would have been more aggreived for it to happen to this year, and if CP had to have this injury I am glad it is now rather than when he is 26 and we are pushing for a flag

• Like 1

You don't have to go back 20 years to appreciate that we've had bad luck in recent times with our draftees / new recruits.

Hogan, Toumpas, Blease, Tappy and Strauss were all hampered by serious / long-term injuries in their early days.

Heck, even both papers this morning started with the line that "Melbourne's cursed run of luck with injuries has continued"..

would they be the papers who love nothing more than to rub salt in our wounds and kick us while we're down?

aren't Hogan and Toumpas living proof that you can get hurt and come back strongly? As for Blease, Tapscott and Strauss, can you believe they played 105 games between them? About 3 of those games were good ones because they were spud players who spent most of their time not making an impact down at Casey

Too True Ernest :)

Petracca?

There is no greater incidence of hamstring injuries post ACL reconstruction where the hamstring is used as the graft. The hamstring 'group' (3 muscles) compensate as a collective to take over the progressive loads imposed during rehab. The surgery is a very elegant and efficient process. The graft length is computer calibrated to be anatomically correct, and anchored to the bones top and bottom of the knee (femur and tibia). That graft is initially dead tissue, but over the period of 5 to 6 months, the blood supply re-establishes through the bony attachments, such that it becomes fully vascular, and therefore a self regenerating tissue. It is 'living' and able to absorb the stresses applied. Fully competitive, full speed multidirectional sport is allowed at 9 months. At the elite level, there are seldom variations to this timeline, and the outcome is as if the ACL had never been damaged.
  • Like 14

would they be the papers who love nothing more than to rub salt in our wounds and kick us while we're down?

aren't Hogan and Toumpas living proof that you can get hurt and come back strongly? As for Blease, Tapscott and Strauss, can you believe they played 105 games between them? About 3 of those games were good ones because they were spud players who spent most of their time not making an impact down at Casey

How are Hogan and Toumpas living proof that they have come back strongly?

One is yet to debut and the other is still borderline best 22

• Like 4

I saw your posts on Demonland back in 1976 before you did your ACL and in fairness, your posting has never been the same after you did your knee.

Edited by nutbean