Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Saturday 17th January, 2015 at Maroochydore

Whispering_Jack

Great turnout on a very hot and humid day.

Didn't take notes on paper, all from the neck top computer so if you have any specific questions I am happy to answer.

Some general observations first -

Roos may try and be behind the scenes but he definitely calls the shots and if he is not happy about anything he makes it very clear.

Morale and camaraderie are both higher than I have ever seen before, it appears all the new boys are fitting in well.

Dunn, Gawn and Watts the most vocal. Dunn more the dictator in style, Watts more the encouraging type and Gawn encouraging as well as pushing anyone seen to be dropping off.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gawn in the leadership group some time in the future.

Rawlings is well respected by the defensive group. Very straight shooter.

Players noticeably fitter and providing a lot more options upfield than in recent history. A lot more switching play as well as a more attacking style of play. More players taking the first option from what I could see too.

Player observations -

Grimes - Definitely gone to the next level. Starting 22 for sure. Has bulked up a little and a lot stronger one on one. Killed everything in the defensive drills before having his nose (accidentally) spread across the park by a Tom Mcdonald spoil. Foot skills improved. Will play on HBF with Lumumba on the other from what I could gather.

Lumumba- Very happy to have him on board. Will be the clearing defender we have needed. Very reliable and has obviously been working on his clearance kicking. No long high kicks running out of defence. Lower, accurate kicks to a player running through the centre or wings. Very happy with a swap for Clark.

Dunn - Very vocal and always picked the best option when kicking out of defence. Seems to be the defensive general.

Frost - This kid will be a monster in a few years. Very athletic for his size too. Good kick of the ball. May spend some time resting in the forward line this year.

Jetta - Very focussed and dedicated to get the best out of himself and he has. Look for him to make AA back pocket this year. Very impressive young man.

Mcdonald Bros. - Stuck together by the hip. Younger Mcdonald tracking along very well. Will be a player. Older Mcdonald has put on a bit of size and looks better in one on ones.

Newton - Was in a lot but fatigued numerous times. To his credit he always came back with 100% effort after any drop off.

JKH - Fit and strong for his age. Very team oriented and was not as flashy. I think this will come out with the adrenaline on game day though.

Garlett - Numerous vey good intercepts. Will keep the ball in our forward line on more than one occasion this year. A beautiful kick of the ball. Should kick 30-40+ this year if we can get it down there enough.

Riley - Not sure about him. 10 for effort though. Seems a bit slow reactively. But did have his ankle in an ice pack near the end of the session.

Hogan- Just reeks of natural footballer. Strong, fit and his kicks are very accurate from any range. Don't be surprised to see him roam further upfield this year.

Gawn - Was probably the biggest surprise. Looking big and strong. Kicking is also good for his size. Will be the year he makes a statement to the broader AFL community if he can stay on the park.

Jamar - Looking the fittest (and happiest) I have ever seen him. Looks like he will spend time forward to let the younger rucks develop. May have a year or two left in him yet.

Petracca - Positive kid who doesn't stop trying. Picking up the pace of the game surprisingly quickly. Isn't afraid to put his head down ala Nate Jones.

Brayshaw - Very professional. Not flashy but more the skilled trooper. The mainstay every team needs. Think Lenny Hayes.

McKenzie - Probably the biggest surprise alongside Gawn. His kicking seems to have improved and might even get the crack at a chance of playing without the dog lead. Needs to prove his worth and seems to be grabbing it with both hands. Will be interesting to watch his season unfold.

Cross - Seems to be holding up well in the heat. Biggest surprise is the improvement in his kicking. Very good role model.

Howe - Definitely stronger across the shoulders and arms. May find himself forward this year with Lumumba in and if Grimes can stay injury free.

Watts - See Howe.

Bail, M. Jones, Terlich - All have put on size and strength. Small improvements in skills will keep the pressure on the fight for a position in the 22. If I had to pick one I would say Bail was the standout of the three.

• Like 25

Great write up DeeMfc. I'd say, based on that write-up, at least 2/3 of the team is already drafted in Roosy's head. Seems the senior brigade have really stepped it up this preseason, and the young'uns are finally developing properly underneath them.

• Like 1

To Roosy's Bruisers, Deemfc, Mega Watts and Demon Ox. Thanks for really informative and entertaining reports! Really insightful as well...just telling it as you see it without any humbug. Like it!

Live bayside so will try to get to Casey when we start training there...hope I can do half as good a report as you guys have.

• Like 11

I also attended training yesterday. Was a fantastic day, bloody hot, but considering we didn't have a Qld game last year or this year, it was worth the red skin that I'm now plastering with aloe vera.

Thought I'd add a few of my observations. Please keep in mind that the last time I attended a training session I was wearing the number 43 on my back because my favourite player at the time, Andrew Ford, was still running around. Needless to say, that was at Junction Oval.

I was extremely disappointed that I didn't get a chance to meet Saty. Thought he would've made the trip - given he wasn't lurking around the main group I'm presuming he was granted an extended Christmas break by the club.

Individual players who impressed or otherwise (apologies for the doubling up as some other posters have said similar);

Colin Garland - looks super fit. Having a full preseason could see him return to the form we expect. He provided good run off half back in some drills, and his disposal was pretty good. I think he will be in for a good year.

Jack Grimes - looks a totally different player. I'm often quite critical of Jack, but I think this year we will see him go to a different level. Fit, competitive, stronger, looking forward to his season.

Ruck division - Jamar is still our number 1 ruck, simple as that. Maxy is coming on, and I was really impressed with the improvement in Spencer. But Jamar, providing he can stay fit, is our most dominant ruck option, many times he would win the tap in a contest against his opponent.

Max King - I don't hold much hope here. I know he is a project player, but he is a long, LONG way away from making any impact.

Jack Fitzpatrick - could this be his break out year? I think it might. He was leading most if not all of the running drills. Now, that's not to say he was always beating Tom Mc or Jimmy Toumpas, but whatever group he was running in, he was always pushing himself to the front. I'd like to think he gets a handful of consecutive games where he can feel he belongs. Other players get that luxury, so hopefully Jack can. Perfect forward who can ruck option.

Oscar McDonald - will be a beauty. I think he'll be better than his brother.

Ben Newton - was used as a go-to man in one drill, and I thought he looked bloody good. Given that Watts was another "go to" man, and I couldn't recoginse the third of three, I'd be expecting Ben to be lining up in Round 1. Think he will be a good addition to the midfield.

Matt Jones - he cops a fair bit on here, but from what I could hear from Roosy and co, Jones is doing everything they want. He's probably our 5th/6th rated midfielder, but I can tell you one thing, it'll take some pretty strong form for someone to dislodge him. While some won't like what I'm about to write, I think if we see Jones playing at Casey this year, we will play finals in the seniors. I expect him to play a lot of senior footy again.

ANB - hard to make a call given I didn't see him pick up a footy. That said, he's a beautiful mover - is really light on his feet. Not sure why, but I think he'll be a very good player. Am I basing this just on his running? Not sure. I'll just call it "the vibe".

Some other key points;

* I loved how they trained in quarters, just like a game. They'd do drills for 20-25 minutes, then running drills for the last 5 minutes. Often talked about as red-time drills, making sure they run the entire session out. No doubt this is a big focus, given the amount of goals we let through in the 20-30 minute mark of each quarter in 2014, especially if the last quarter.

* In game simulation drills (ie more pressure) we still managed to make basic mistakes. We are getting better, no doubt about it, but it is frustrating.

* Further to my previous point, I still think there is one decent list cull left. I think 2015 will be the final year of "who's not up to it", then we will focus on finals.

* As someone mentioned, they did an extra running session after training finished, player/leadership group-driven due to a drop off in the final "quarter". I loved how Petracca and Brayshaw were leading this (they were the old fashioned suicide sprints from point post to goal posts, etc). Later yesterday evening, I was thinking to myself how the first year players could be leading this at the end of training. I would've thought first year players would be busting their gut during "normal" drills. I'm not saying they aren't/weren't, but I would imagine the coaches would know how they are tracking...

2015 will see more frustration. I think we will starting beating sides, not just winning. We will still lament the games that we could've won but didn't due to silly mistakes. I think 2015 will set us up for a reasonable crack at finals in 2016.

• Like 18

Great report thanks DeeMfc and much appreciated!

Any thoughts on Stretch, ANB and the rookies?

You're welcome. Just returning the favour to those who do it for us interstaters.

Stretch looking sharp and will probably see a few games towards the end of the year as he develops.

ANB was in a lot of the play but needs more composure which I think will come with time. Remembering that the conditions they were training in were extreme.

Vandenburg looks the goods quite solid and has an aura of confidence about him.

Harmes looks a prospect, although his kicking needs improvement. I think it's a confidence thing with him. Could make it with a bit of @>#+ instilled in him.

Didn't see enough of the others.

• Like 1

Not being smart but I need to ask, recent reports/photos from Melbourne training had Grimes having lost weight and looking skinny but two reports from yesterday have him bigger and stronger. Also his kicking has improved, if that is the case how would we now rate his disposal? The real test as always will be rd 1 against the Suns should he be selected.

Grimes - Definitely gone to the next level. Starting 22 for sure. Has bulked up a little and a lot stronger one on one. Killed everything in the defensive drills before having his nose (accidentally) spread across the park by a Tom Mcdonald spoil. Foot skills improved. Will play on HBF with Lumumba on the other from what I could gather.

As an unabashed fan of Grimes as a player and a person, this delights me.

• Like 8

Thanks everyone for the reports, i guess what is pleasing is that the players who we/many predict will be on the outer are showing such good pre-season form. Hopefully culminating in more selection headaches and able replacements throughout the year compared to previous years.

Impressions i get so far from these and other reports are that:

• Mckenzie and grimes are doing everything right to get a spot.
  • Garland and newton both have fitness issues, but in game play simulation appear to be more than capable (who misses though if all three bar Mckenzie gets a game round one? Frost?).
  • Reilly and terlich are not really mentioned much and i get the impression they are good 'soldiers' but nothing more (i feel that they may be closer to the delist line than many others and i would suggest won't play much).
  • We have no idea about our forward set up. If Jamar plays more forward with Dawes and Hogan, then i cant see Fitz making the team at all, with the majority are leaning towards Gawn in tandem with Jamar. But it would be great for him to actually pull it all together, round one might be his only chance if hes in for dawes.
  • I think Petracca is the only one of the 1st year draftees who will play in the first 6 rounds of the season (be funny if he kicks more goals than McCartin over his career).
  • I can't believe we got garlett for so little - Shocks me.. He is going to be a beauty (thank you mick). Garlett and Petracca running around hogan, dawes and jamar in the forward line is what really makes me excited.
  • I think frost and garland fight for the same spot.
  • Can salem and Toumpas get/cement a spot and actually get the ball (20 possessions a game or more a game)?

Can't wait for the season to start! Go Dees :)

Yeah he has a somewhat slight build, but he just always seems to have the bad luck (or is it something else, like poor judgement?) to be in the wrong spot for a flying knee or a shirtfront or whatever.. I just seem to recall him pulling himself up off the grass looking very rough on a number of occasions!

Watched the replay of the Adelaide game from last year on Foxtel the other night - Grimes was SENSATIONAL. We forget what he is like at his best. Let's hope Roosy and the staff get the best out of him all year after a full pre-season and without the burden of captaincy. I have no doubt he has the ability to be an A-grader. Let's hope he finally realises it this year.

• Like 2

Thought I'd add a few of my observations. Please keep in mind that the last time I attended a training session I was wearing the number 43 on my back because my favourite player at the time, Andrew Ford, was still running around. Needless to say, that was at Junction Oval.

I was extremely disappointed that I didn't get a chance to meet Saty. Thought he would've made the trip - given he wasn't lurking around the main group I'm presuming he was granted an extended Christmas break by the club.

Actually, Saty was waiting for you all morning at the Junction Oval.

Some really great reports, good pics as well.

Backing up what I have been saying about the more professional attitude across the board from coaches to players.

DemonOx, good on you for talking to the players, they don't bite, well most of them anyway.

Billy, thanks for the nod on Garland, has been on a program since the start to get his fitness back up, now where he should be.

Grimes puts his body on the line all the time, even at training, never gets credit for it on here.

I actually liked Junction Oval, there was a really good café nearby

Moonshadow, you are just sad

Its very encouraging to read the reports which show there are options for all positions. This gives some security for injuries and surely allows a greater team flexibility to match up against opponents. The need for management (rest and recuperation) is also possible where there are numbers competing for the same position. This management can also allow the team to include a young player at the appropriate time and not be expected to be the messiah.

How is [Pedersen] travelling?

Pedersen looks fitter too. Vanilla type of player but seems to get the job done. Quite reliable.

As a side note Jamar was doing overhead marking practice from bullet style passes for about 20 minutes. Primed for some rests in the forward line.

Last 3 off the track and by a considerable amount of time were Cross, Mckenzie and Brayshaw.

• Like 1

Pedersen looks fitter too. Vanilla type of player but seems to get the job done. Quite reliable.

As a side note Jamar was doing overhead marking practice from bullet style passes for about 20 minutes. Primed for some rests in the forward line.

Last 3 off the track and by a considerable amount of time were Cross, Mckenzie and Brayshaw.

Cool, Brayshaw has attached himself to Cross, wonder who made the decision, done extra bits in Melbourne as well, last couple of sessions I watched

Great turnout on a very hot and humid day.

Didn't take notes on paper, all from the neck top computer so if you have any specific questions I am happy to answer.

Some general observations first -

Roos may try and be behind the scenes but he definitely calls the shots and if he is not happy about anything he makes it very clear.

Morale and camaraderie are both higher than I have ever seen before, it appears all the new boys are fitting in well.

Dunn, Gawn and Watts the most vocal. Dunn more the dictator in style, Watts more the encouraging type and Gawn encouraging as well as pushing anyone seen to be dropping off.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gawn in the leadership group some time in the future.

Rawlings is well respected by the defensive group. Very straight shooter.

Players noticeably fitter and providing a lot more options upfield than in recent history. A lot more switching play as well as a more attacking style of play. More players taking the first option from what I could see too.

Player observations -

Lumumba- Very happy to have him on board. Will be the clearing defender we have needed. Very reliable and has obviously been working on his clearance kicking. No long high kicks running out of defence. Lower, accurate kicks to a player running through the centre or wings. Very happy with a swap for Clark.

Dunn - Very vocal and always picked the best option when kicking out of defence. Seems to be the defensive general.

Frost - This kid will be a monster in a few years. Very athletic for his size too. Good kick of the ball. May spend some time resting in the forward line this year.

Jetta - Very focussed and dedicated to get the best out of himself and he has. Look for him to make AA back pocket this year. Very impressive young man.

Mcdonald Bros. - Stuck together by the hip. Younger Mcdonald tracking along very well. Will be a player. Older Mcdonald has put on a bit of size and looks better in one on ones.

Newton - Was in a lot but fatigued numerous times. To his credit he always came back with 100% effort after any drop off.

JKH - Fit and strong for his age. Very team oriented and was not as flashy. I think this will come out with the adrenaline on game day though.

Garlett - Numerous vey good intercepts. Will keep the ball in our forward line on more than one occasion this year. A beautiful kick of the ball. Should kick 30-40+ this year if we can get it down there enough.

Riley - Not sure about him. 10 for effort though. Seems a bit slow reactively. But did have his ankle in an ice pack near the end of the session.

Hogan- Just reeks of natural footballer. Strong, fit and his kicks are very accurate from any range. Don't be surprised to see him roam further upfield this year.

Gawn - Was probably the biggest surprise. Looking big and strong. Kicking is also good for his size. Will be the year he makes a statement to the broader AFL community if he can stay on the park.

Jamar - Looking the fittest (and happiest) I have ever seen him. Looks like he will spend time forward to let the younger rucks develop. May have a year or two left in him yet.

Petracca - Positive kid who doesn't stop trying. Picking up the pace of the game surprisingly quickly. Isn't afraid to put his head down ala Nate Jones.

Brayshaw - Very professional. Not flashy but more the skilled trooper. The mainstay every team needs. Think Lenny Hayes.

McKenzie - Probably the biggest surprise alongside Gawn. His kicking seems to have improved and might even get the crack at a chance of playing without the dog lead. Needs to prove his worth and seems to be grabbing it with both hands. Will be interesting to watch his season unfold.

Cross - Seems to be holding up well in the heat. Biggest surprise is the improvement in his kicking. Very good role model.

Howe - Definitely stronger across the shoulders and arms. May find himself forward this year with Lumumba in and if Grimes can stay injury free.

Watts - See Howe.

Bail, M. Jones, Terlich - All have put on size and strength. Small improvements in skills will keep the pressure on the fight for a position in the 22. If I had to pick one I would say Bail was the standout of the three.

Where is the Toump??

INteresting They seem to be simulating game time in training. Continuous running. Drill after drill. Makes sense to me...

Not like 2 years ago when they simulated game day by having a nap frm 2:30 - 3:30

• Like 4

Not like 2 years ago when they simulated game day by having a nap frm 2:30 - 3:30

Train how you intend to play.

• Like 3

Some really great reports, good pics as well.

Backing up what I have been saying about the more professional attitude across the board from coaches to players.

DemonOx, good on you for talking to the players, they don't bite, well most of them anyway.

Billy, thanks for the nod on Garland, has been on a program since the start to get his fitness back up, now where he should be.

Grimes puts his body on the line all the time, even at training, never gets credit for it on here.

I actually liked Junction Oval, there was a really good café nearby

Moonshadow, you are just sad

Devil I have no dramas in talking to players as most are happy to chat.

The few I found who were than more to happy to have a chat were Garlett, JKH and Jetta!!!!!!

No not really these 3 are men of few words.

Just a few observations to add to the numerous reports above.

I was really impressed with the coaching staff. We're in good hands. They seem to be providing the playing group with a consistent message. All the assistants I saw in action communicated in a really effective manner. They didn't waste words, were clear but positive.

We have some leaders on our list. Jones, Dunn, Dawes, Cross, Vince, Jamar, Grimes, Garland and now Lumumba form a good solid senior group. Trengove's positive team first approach to his rehab is incredible. Our young leaders are also emerging. Watts is confident and positive. Gawn is vocal and surprisingly serious. Tyson just oozes class and is clearly admired by his team mates. Kent appears to have a solid work ethic and is developing nicely. Viney should be in the leadership group. He epitomizes everything I want this Melbourne team to be about. I don't care how old he is. I'd also like to make special mention of Neville Jetta. He is my smokey for the leadership group. He obviously feels like he belongs now. He understands our game plan and articulates it confidently. He communicates positively with his team mates but demands high standards from those around him.

In terms of leadership and communication it was an interesting session to observe. The players are obviously working hard to understand the different elements of the gameplan and I really love the way the whole group seem confident to tell each other exactly what is required if someone is unsure or straight out makes a mistake. There appears to be no ego involved. Players understand the need for concise communication and don't seem to be slighted when a coach or a team mate sets them straight. They all move on quickly. Listening to the different lines during the breaks was also interesting. The forwards really do carry themselves like rock stars. There's a real confidence amongst this group. Hogan's swagger will be infectious. I love our defensive group. They're our bar room brawlers. The communicate really well with each other. Dunn, Garland, McDonald and Grimes have now played a lot of footy will each other. Howe also confident in these situations and shows quite a lot of leadership as well.

I didn't get a chance to listen to the midfield group but just wanted to make one key point. As much as we all expect natural improvement from our young players and we're hopeful that the injection of Lumumba, Garlett and Frost and the emergence of Hogan will help us move up the ladder, most of us understand that we're not going to improve greatly until we start winning more midfield battles. Many on Demonland have suggested that little has changed in this department. Having seen Saturday's session I beg to differ. Firstly, with Newton on board and Michie and Riley more settled we have far greater depth. If one of these players becomes a serious B grade genuine midfielder then we're in good shape. Our ruck stocks are looking really really good. Jamar as has been noted, is in awesome shape and appears set for his best year since he was All Australian. I'm a big fan of Jake. If he's our third choice first ruck then I think we're travelling ok. He's now huge. Check out one of the snaps I took! I also come from the school of thought that injury is the only thing that can prevent Max Gawn from being a serious player. Hopefully he shows more signs this year, gets through injury free and may be ready for the number 1 mantle in twelve months time. I think the health of this group and the pre-season training they've already managed will be significant in our midfield improvement. But the biggest improvement will be provided by Jack Viney. Roos rarely played him in the middle last year. This year he seems set to have serious minutes in the middle and he is in incredible condition. His work in game sim was awesome. He reads it so well of the rucks and seems to have found another yard of breakaway pace. Improved fitness will also see less skill errors this year. Salem looks set to take a step but will still need time as will Toumpas. If both make it, we'll make it.

Finally, I'd like to make a point about our battlers. Battlers is probably a harsh word. I think we're very lucky to have players such as Jordie McKenzie, Ro Bail and Matt Jones. All three are great clubmen. All three are working their respective backsides off to make our best 22. All three are ripping blokes. I really hope supporters get behind these guys. I'm more than happy in the knowledge that Brayshaw, Petracca, Stretch and Neal-Bullen are exposed to the training habits and team-oriented approach of these guys. I hope each of them has the opportunity to have a real crack at senior footy in 2015 despite the emergence of so much exciting young talent.

It was awesome to see so many Dees supporters up and about. This is a well run club, with a hell of a lot of talent that is being guided in the right direction. We're going to be alright.

Edited by Goodvibes
  • Like 32

Just a few observations to add to the numerous reports above.

I was really impressed with the coaching staff. We're in good hands. They seem to be providing the playing group with a consistent message. All the assistants I saw in action communicated in a really effective manner. They didn't waste words, were clear but positive.

We have some leaders on our list. Jones, Dunn, Dawes, Cross, Vince, Jamar, Grimes, Garland and now Lumumba form a good solid senior group. Trengove's positive team first approach to his rehab is incredible. Our young leaders are also emerging. Watts is confident and positive. Gawn is vocal and surprisingly serious. Tyson just oozes class and is clearly admired by his team mates. Kent appears to have a solid work ethic and is developing nicely. Viney should be in the leadership group. He epitomizes everything I want this Melbourne team to be about. I don't care how old he is. I'd also like to make special mention of Neville Jetta. He is my smokey for the leadership group. He obviously feels like he belongs now. He understands our game plan and articulates it confidently. He communicates positively with his team mates but demands high standards from those around him.

In terms of leadership and communication it was an interesting session to observe. The players are obviously working hard to understand the different elements of the gameplan and I really love the way the whole group seem confident to tell each other exactly what is required if someone is unsure or straight out makes a mistake. There appears to be no ego involved. Players understand the need for concise communication and don't seem to be slighted when a coach or a team mate sets them straight. They all move on quickly. Listening to the different lines during the breaks was also interesting. The forwards really do carry themselves like rock stars. There's a real confidence amongst this group. Hogan's swagger will be infectious. I love our defensive group. They're our bar room brawlers. The communicate really well with each other. Dunn, Garland, McDonald and Grimes have now played a lot of footy will each other. Howe also confident in these situations and shows quite a lot of leadership as well.

I didn't get a chance to listen to the midfield group but just wanted to make one key point. As much as we all expect natural improvement from our young players and we're hopeful that the injection of Lumumba, Garlett and Frost and the emergence of Hogan will help us move up the ladder, most of us understand that we're not going to improve greatly until we start winning more midfield battles. Many on Demonland have suggested that little has changed in this department. Having seen Saturday's session I beg to differ. Firstly, with Newton on board and Michie and Riley more settled we have far greater depth. If one of these players becomes a serious B grade genuine midfielder then we're in good shape. Our ruck stocks are looking really really good. Jamar as has been noted, is in awesome shape and appears set for his best year since he was All Australian. I'm a big fan of Jake. If he's our third choice first ruck then I think we're travelling ok. He's now huge. Check out one of the snaps I took! I also come from the school of thought that injury is the only thing that can prevent Max Gawn from being a serious player. Hopefully he shows more signs this year, gets through injury free and may be ready for the number 1 mantle in twelve months time. I think the health of this group and the pre-season training they've already managed will be significant in our midfield improvement. But the biggest improvement will be provided by Jack Viney. Roos rarely played him in the middle last year. This year he seems set to have serious minutes in the middle and he is in incredible condition. His work in game sim was awesome. He reads it so well of the rucks and seems to have found another yard of breakaway pace. Improved fitness will also see less skill errors this year. Salem looks set to take a step but will still need time as will Toumpas. If both make it, we'll make it.

Finally, I'd like to make a point about our battlers. Battlers is probably a harsh word. I think we're very lucky to have players such as Jordie McKenzie, Ro Bail and Matt Jones. All three are great clubmen. All three are working their respective backsides off to make our best 22. All three are ripping blokes. I really hope supporters get behind these guys. I'm more than happy in the knowledge that Brayshaw, Petracca, Stretch and Neal-Bullen are exposed to the training habits and team-oriented approach of these guys. I hope each of them has the opportunity to have a real crack at senior footy in 2015 despite the emergence of so much exciting young talent.

It was awesome to see so many Dees supporters up and about. This is a well run club, with a hell of a lot of talent that is being guided in the right direction. We're going to be alright.

Great post. Spencer is a monster, looking dead set fixing to eat somebody!

Thanks everyone for the reports, i guess what is pleasing is that the players who we/many predict will be on the outer are showing such good pre-season form. Hopefully culminating in more selection headaches and able replacements throughout the year compared to previous years.

Impressions i get so far from these and other reports are that:

• Mckenzie and grimes are doing everything right to get a spot.
  • Garland and newton both have fitness issues, but in game play simulation appear to be more than capable (who misses though if all three bar Mckenzie gets a game round one? Frost?).
  • Can't wait for the season to start! Go Dees :)

Not sure why you say Garland. Has done every session from what I have read. Had a poor 2014 and needs to make amends. The reports I have read say he is training very well..