Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Supercoach Discussion : player selections, etc.

DeeVoted

• 2 weeks later...

• 5 weeks later...

I was reading reports from the pre-season camp and they got me thinking about which Dees players might actually be supercoach relevant this season.

A few possibilities include:

Defenders

$458,100 - Lynden Dunn

$398,100 - Jack Grimes

$417,000 - Heritier Lumumba (mid/def)

Midfielders

$581,200 - Nathan Jones

$506,200 - Dom Tyson

$399,600 - Jack Viney

$215,000 - Ben Newton

$212,300 - Angus Brayshaw

$127,900 - Aaron Vandenberg

$123,900 - Jayden Hunt

$123,900 - James Harmes

$117,300 - Alex Neal-Bullen

Rucks

$339,700 - Max Gawn (ruc/fwd)

Forwards

$286,900 - Dean Kent

$217,300 - Christian Petracca (fwd/mid)

$185,000 - Christian Salem

$130,400 - Jesse Hogan

Apart from Hogan, who everyone will have, I can't see that many being chosen. Jones could be a reasonable POD, especially if he lifts even further. Unfortunately, apart from those two I can't see many others being relevant. I'm half considering Salem or Kent but don't think I have the stones to do it....

• Grimes has reportedly had a great pre-season, so could be one to consider at that price.
  • Can Dunn maintain his avg or keep improving? Too hard to say, 2014 was his 1st real consistent year.
  • Ben Newton could be quite a good pick, bit of a smokey! Few years in the system, good preseason... might see how he goes in the NAB cup before picking at that price.
  • Dom Tyson is expensive and I need more than good year to spend that much, though I do think he'll be even better.
  • Break out year for Viney??
  • Petracca and Brayshaw are too expensive for my liking and I don't think they'll get enough un-vested game time to be worthwhile.
  • Of the new draftees/rookies Vandenberg could be good, being mature age, if he gets promoted to senior list. ANB maybe if he gets games and adjusts well. I can't see any of the others getting many games in the seniors.

I'm interested in other people thoughts... Are you gamer than I am?!

I was reading reports from the pre-season camp and they got me thinking about which Dees players might actually be supercoach relevant this season.

A few possibilities include:

Defenders

$458,100 - Lynden Dunn

$398,100 - Jack Grimes

$417,000 - Heritier Lumumba (mid/def)

Midfielders

$581,200 - Nathan Jones

$506,200 - Dom Tyson

$399,600 - Jack Viney

$215,000 - Ben Newton

$212,300 - Angus Brayshaw

$127,900 - Aaron Vandenberg

$123,900 - Jayden Hunt

$123,900 - James Harmes

$117,300 - Alex Neal-Bullen

Rucks

$339,700 - Max Gawn (ruc/fwd)

Forwards

$286,900 - Dean Kent

$217,300 - Christian Petracca (fwd/mid)

$185,000 - Christian Salem

$130,400 - Jesse Hogan

Apart from Hogan, who everyone will have, I can't see that many being chosen. Jones could be a reasonable POD, especially if he lifts even further. Unfortunately, apart from those two I can't see many others being relevant. I'm half considering Salem or Kent but don't think I have the stones to do it....

• Grimes has reportedly had a great pre-season, so could be one to consider at that price.
  • Can Dunn maintain his avg or keep improving? Too hard to say, 2014 was his 1st real consistent year.
  • Ben Newton could be quite a good pick, bit of a smokey! Few years in the system, good preseason... might see how he goes in the NAB cup before picking at that price.
  • Dom Tyson is expensive and I need more than good year to spend that much, though I do think he'll be even better.
  • Break out year for Viney??
  • Petracca and Brayshaw are too expensive for my liking and I don't think they'll get enough un-vested game time to be worthwhile.
  • Of the new draftees/rookies Vandenberg could be good, being mature age, if he gets promoted to senior list. ANB maybe if he gets games and adjusts well. I can't see any of the others getting many games in the seniors.

I'm interested in other people thoughts... Are you gamer than I am?!

Seems like every year I load up my team with Melbourne players. No wonder I lose every week. In all seriousness, there are some top Melbourne choices this year that should feature heavily in many early teams. Hogans a 100% lock (touch wood) while other younger guys such as Petracca and 'Gus will feature prominately in my first drafts. I like Newton as a cheap mid pick while Grimes may well prove himself without the weight of the captaincy. Even Nate Jones could be a top unique mid pick.

Dom Tyson must be a lock in as a 'cheap' premium, surely? Gets stats on every line, form was improving late last year and has had his first (touch wood) full preseason.

Salem, Petracca, Brayshaw and Hogan must all be under consideration at those prices, and with a 'watch pre-season closely' note.

Of the non-rookie players, I'd be watching Grimes and Gawn very closely, as we all know that either of them in form and fully fit is a totally different proposition to out of form and underprepared. Grimes in particular could be that rare thing; a reliable, decent-scoring defender.

Viney's career so far has been one of workhorse, trooper, stalwart... but ultimately, 'kid taking too much on in a poor midfield'. If the midfield does genuinely improve, his price could go up $100k over the season, but he still fits into that twilight zone between being a premium and being a cash cow.

Nice that there are some good dual-position players to consider from our own list.

Tyson could be a unique cheaper premium, but personally I'd rather spend a bit more on a proven premium (more years) or on someone like a Daniel Rich this year who's $348,300.

Lumumba could actually be a reasonable pick, if he spends more time in the midfield as Roos has indicated. It's looking harder to choose premium defenders this year so if he can pump out 85 - 95 avg he could be a keeper!

I'll be watching Salem, Newton, Grimes, Lumumba and Gawn closely in the NAB cup. You're right on Grimes, it's easy to forget that he has averaged around 90 in previous season.

So far I have Hogan locked in. Lumumba in the backline DDP (this could change depending how he plays and what role Roos gives him). There isnt a heap of options down back atm. I will keep an eye on what the rookie defenders look like during the NAB Cup.

Dont like Grimes, always gets himself injured. Jones is steady, but I think there are better options. Tyson the same as Jones, although earned me a heap $$ last year. Newtown and vandenBerg and ANB could be good smokies. Just throwing darts around until I see who plays well.

I pretty much stay away from MFC players, sad huh? Maybe this year that might change.

• 2 months later...

From Supercoach Talk March 18:

ROOKIES
Angus Brayshaw (MID, $212,300) Weighing in at 91kg at age 19, Brayshaw seemed likely to feature early in 2015 but to date he has played no preseason games for Melbourne. An elite contested ball winner in juniors, Supercoach seems likely to be his game so expect decent scores when he debuts.
Verdict: Too expensive given his poor job security for now.
Jesse Hogan (FWD, $130,400). From the limited time I?ve spent watching Melbourne?s preseason (I?m sorry but I couldn?t face two whole games), Hogan seems happy to work up the ground a bit and will earn a few touches even if he doesn?t kick goals. As an 18 year old playing 15 VFL games in 2013, Hogan averaged 15 disposals a game to go with 6 marks and 2 goals so this is likely his natural playing style.
Verdict: Good job security, worth a spot even though his scores will fluctuate.
Ben Newton (MID, Av. 40, 4 games, $215,000). We all know the story; Newton was too good for the SANFL but couldn?t crack into Port?s elite midfield. He should be a walk-up starter for Melbourne?s midfield and has looked good in the preseason so far.
Verdict: If he features in the final NAB match, you must have him.
Christian Salem (FWD, Av. 35, 12 games, $185,000). After 7 vests in 12 games, Salem is super cheap and as we have all seen, he is now playing that quarterback role that general equals decent supercoach scores. His Jekyll and Hyde preseason is a little concerning (scores of 40 and 132) but his job security is good.
Verdict: Unless you can find a better rookie, he?s a must-have in my books.
Aaron Vandenberg (MID, $127,900). Another NEAFL stud who looked good in limited preseason game time in NAB 1 but a head clash prevented us from getting another look at him in NAB 2. If he plays NAB 3 well, he seems likely to get elevated.
Verdict: My crystal ball says he?ll be elevated so if named in Round 1, jump on.

• 10 months later...

It seems everyone likes to play their cards close to their chest (Looking at the Stynes League here)

But if some want to discuss players selections or give , ask advice here is the place to do it.

I wouldnt mind hearing  Demon Spofforth  / Centimetre Perfect story on how he was feeling up to and  then, to fall just a tad over 800 pts short on taking out 1st prize in 2015.

Lately it's been the safest option just to steer clear of Dees players, apart from rookies/draftees. But I'm interested what Melbourne players people are considering, apart from a few obvious ones like Petracca when he debuts?

I'm considering Ben Kennedy - if he slots into the best 22 he's a good price for a mature player. TMac was a good selection last year... Will Tyson or Viney rise to top scoring mids? Do we back Gawn to become one of the best ruckman after the preseason reports we're hearing? Kent or Salem as mid priced options?

Well Ruffles, I may have gone a bit heavy on Dees players at the moment - mainly b/c we have been hearing how well they have been training.  Apart from the obvious Petracca, I have Gawn in the Ruck and M King on the bench - not sure which one but doesn't matter just needed a RCK/FWD.  I also have Kennedy in the FWD and Hulett on the bench (just thinking he maybe a smoky to make the starting line up (but can change depending on Round 1 teams).  I have also had in TMac and Frost but they are out for now.

FITB - do you have or have you considered Bird and Simpkin?  Cheap and could score well.  I don't see them as keepers but should earn some money and allow for a step up to a premium.

My 2 cents..

On 1/31/2016 at 4:58 AM, FireInTheBelly said:

Barring injuries prior to season I'm pretty happy with what I have. One spot left to fill though. A starting forward for <$400K. Thoughts?

Hmm, maybe Jack Martin for a potential break out? Andrew Walker's cheap this year but not sure how his preseason going or where he'll be played. I'm going with Craig Bird at this stage as he'll probably end up one of their key mature mids.

15 hours ago, stephen247 said:

Well Ruffles, I may have gone a bit heavy on Dees players at the moment - mainly b/c we have been hearing how well they have been training.  Apart from the obvious Petracca, I have Gawn in the Ruck and M King on the bench - not sure which one but doesn't matter just needed a RCK/FWD.  I also have Kennedy in the FWD and Hulett on the bench (just thinking he maybe a smoky to make the starting line up (but can change depending on Round 1 teams).  I have also had in TMac and Frost but they are out for now.

FITB - do you have or have you considered Bird and Simpkin?  Cheap and could score well.  I don't see them as keepers but should earn some money and allow for a step up to a premium.

My 2 cents..

Haha yeah that's pretty keen for dees players mate!! I've only got Kennedy and Petracca at this stage.

I'm also going with Bird at this stage - should play every game and score well.

I'm another who is usually wary of Demons in my team (apart from Rookies).

I broke the rule last year with H and got badly burned. Had to hold him for much longer than I wanted too as I was dealing with all sorts of LTIs.

I did get big Maxy into my side (as a forward) just as he had his purple patch.

In my draft side so far I have Hulett (pending NAB Cup and selection), Trac, Max King (r/f) and for mid-price madness Salem as a $400k defender.

Thanks DV. Was stoked with my season last year in finishing 84th but I never actually considered myself a chance of taking out the main prize. I was in the top 800 for the whole season after a good start but came from around 500th with five weeks to go so I always felt like the gap was too much and was merely aiming for a top 100 finish.

As much as I love the Dees I've been keeping clear of them the last few years. My starting team last year didn't contain any except for Hogan but I did have Gawn by seasons end. Couldn't even find it within myself to grab TMcDonald as I kept thinking his SC form would turn and probably regret not picking him up early in the season when he was red hot. Just not a fan of key position backs and prefer defenders who run through the midfield.

This year I've been thinking a lot about Viney as I reckon he's up for a big year but at $500K its an awkward price given the quality available in $300ks (Liberatore, Swallow, BCrouch) who would likely score as well as Jack or not be far off. Just yesterday I took him out of my team and decided to spend the extra $50-60k on a discounted Rockliff instead.

Big fan of Gawn as well given his training form to date and is injury free but again its looking like there's some better cost-effective options. Lobbe in the $300ks looks very good with Ryder now out and umming/ahhing over whether to spend the big bickies on Goldstein or save $100k on Stef Martin. Maxxy will be in my thoughts right up until lockout though.

I'm currently sitting with Petracca and BKennedy in my team. Both should rise up in price nicely and be good cash cows by the time of the byes. I have M King also on my ruck bench as the Dees having 11 Sunday games means he'll come in handy for loophole purposes. Salem coming into calculations as well if he can lock down that quarterback role across half back.

Very early days obviously and a lot can change during and after the NAB Cup, but premium locks for me at this stage are HShaw, BSmith, Dangerfield, Ablett, RGray and Daulhaus. Still plenty of spots up for grabs therefore so my team is likely to change 1,098 times before season kickoff.

• Like 2

Just now, Demon Spofforth said:

Thanks DV. Was stoked with my season last year in finishing 84th but I never actually considered myself a chance of taking out the main prize. I was in the top 800 for the whole season after a good start but came from around 500th with five weeks to go so I always felt like the gap was too much and was merely aiming for a top 100 finish.

Top 100 or thereabouts is not to be sneezed at, Thanks for sharing. 

Edited by DeeVoted

On 31 January 2016 at 4:58 AM, FireInTheBelly said:

Barring injuries prior to season I'm pretty happy with what I have. One spot left to fill though. A starting forward for <$400K. Thoughts?

Call me crazy, but, for a little more, VDB is looking very promising. Big impact, no base last year. Bigger base=bigger impact? Brownlow..maybe a it too much..

That aside, Wells is apparently looking pretty good at training, if you don't mind the risk. 

I'd be the last to hand out advice.  I was travelling well, up to the byes,when the wheels got a wobble (sitting 1200 overall), I missed the GAbblett / Rockcliff carnage. 80% of my rookies were firing. Only used a couple of trades. Then the treaded byes came and went along with my season. 

This year Salem, Petracca and Gawn are looking like starters. Last year I only had Hogan and Brayshaw then traded both out.

Gawn I hope stays fit, (I pray he stays fit) I'm not convinced to leave him for this year. Those knees make me gun shy.

Salem could be in for a good year. Petracca M/F shouldn't be overlooked.  

I cant see the value in Viney, $$ spent might be better served on a player than can bring home 120+ pts I don't think Viney has that in him 

I have M.King on the bench, which one? buggered if I know which one. Max I hope. But having 2 Dee Rucks isnt good for the byes.

I'm just throwing darts until the pre season kicks off.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Demi Dee said:

Call me crazy, but, for a little more, VDB is looking very promising. Big impact, no base last year. Bigger base=bigger impact? Brownlow..maybe a it too much..

That aside, Wells is apparently looking pretty good at training, if you don't mind the risk. 

Yes true, VDB should definitely score some good points this year. Don't know about Wells though, too injury prone for me.

For now I've slotted in Dom Sheed, thinking he might get decent midfield minutes, but will be flipping the coin on him and VDB perhaps. I also have Buddy - going off the training reports, but haven't locked that in just yet.

19 hours ago, FireInTheBelly said:

Yes true, VDB should definitely score some good points this year. Don't know about Wells though, too injury prone for me.

For now I've slotted in Dom Sheed, thinking he might get decent midfield minutes, but will be flipping the coin on him and VDB perhaps. I also have Buddy - going off the training reports, but haven't locked that in just yet.

Thought it would be tough for Sheed after they added Jetta and Redden to their mids. I will keep a keen eye on him in the preseason games. 

Franklin will make a great P.o.d  I hope he holds it together. 

I also have my eye on Reiwoldt, of the St.Nick variety, always gets off to a flyer. 

On 1/2/2016 at 8:45 PM, stephen247 said:

My 2 cents..

Kennedy looks to be a serious bargain.

ANB and Stretch also look like they could be good value, defender/midfielder status at a low price.

5 hours ago, Demi Dee said:

Thought it would be tough for Sheed after they added Jetta and Redden to their mids. I will keep a keen eye on him in the preseason games. 

Franklin will make a great P.o.d  I hope he holds it together. 

I also have my eye on Reiwoldt, of the St.Nick variety, always gets off to a flyer. 

Yes that's definitely the issue with Sheed. With all the vests last year they either think he did enough to start in the midfield this year, or they recruited those guys because they think he's not ready. I'm not sure which way to go.

Franklin, very hit 'n' miss so a definite gamble.I wasn't going to touch him but the training reports swayed my judgement. As a Dees supporter, I should perhaps know better.....

I'm thinking Riewoldt is about to slow down so not touching him at that price. His biggest weapon is his engine, and age will weaken it eventually. When it happens it could well be very sudden. I'm out on that basis - purely from a SC perspective. Great player.

Any love for Kent, anyone?   I have him atm. Could be good for an upgrade. Seems fit and from all reports going very well.

I have 2 concerns,  1: too many MFC players to begin with. 2: I am not convinced Kent gets enough possessions, could be better options from elsewhere.