Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Wednesday 3rd December, 2014

The Devil Inside

Reasonable morning to watch training, pics will be up on my Twitter account Demonpk later

Only 2 missing today Trengove and Roh Bail

On modified program Watts, Terlich, Gawn, Spencer, Riley, McKenzie, Kent, Dawes, Harmes, Stretch, Brayshaw and to some extent Bernie Vince

After the physical pounding they took on Monday, today was more about ball work, there was an interesting one being run by Ben Mathews with chain passing and it was being timed, there was another goal kicking one where they received the ball from a backwards kick from the pocket into a central position about 40 out

There was also a lot of work going on with picking up ground balls

Answer to a burning question, Dave Misson said it would ideal if Petracca played at around 90-92kg, he is 94 at the moment, Angus Brayshaw said he would like to play at 88kg, so yes a pair of big boys.

Keeping with the new boys, I asked Billy Stretch, said he hasn't been doing a lot of extra work, just the normal footy traiinig, he said it was genetic from his old man, thinks he will have to put on some bulk.

Alex Neal Bullen was a State rep in distance running so he has the tank, says his main focus will be increasing his speed,

Oscar McDonald is enjoying it, relishes the hard work like his bro

One person bouncing around today was Dom Tyson, so at the end asked how he was going, the smile when he answered was blinding, just pumped to be injury free and able to do every session, really enjoying the coaching, learning so much, looking at going up another notch this year and knows he needs a full pre season to do that

Had a joke with JKH about his musclebound physique, which he thought was funny, persuaded him to do a 'guns' pic, will be on Twitter, a good sport

Any questions feel free

Edited by The Devil Inside
  • Like 28

Cringe.

Yep, that certainly gives good cause to ignore the rest of TDI's informative training report... go forbid, a little levity!!

• Like 3

One person bouncing around today was Dom Tyson, so at the end asked how he was going, the smile when he answered was blinding, just pumped to be injury free and able to do every session, really enjoying the coaching, learning so much, looking at going up another notch this year and knows he needs a full pre season to do that

Watch out 'P-man', he's heading for the top 5...

Tyson will be the A grade mid we've been looking for, he's not far off it now.

• Like 7

I called in this morning for about an hour not a lot to add to what Saty has said.

I would confirm his comments about Hogan, when they were doing the goal kicking exercise Hogan hit the centre with every kick.

In Total I did not see too many that missed I guess this is a good example that kicking goals at training is a lot easier than during a game when the pressure is on.

I was very surprised at the size of Oscar Mac he looks to be a little taller than his big brother and almost as muscular, he could be a very big unit in a year or two.

Seemed to kick quite well today so fingers crossed.

Pleasantly surprised with the average physical development of the team when I think back a couple of years they make that group look like school kids.

As mentioned earlier while I was there the intensity seemed to be low today.

Still a bit of fun for Saty and I plus 20 others well it is the 3rd of December.

• Like 9

One of the others I spoke to was the big Rush, joked that most pundits had him in his last year, he is feeling really good and refreshed, another one who is doing every session, looking forward to fighting off the competition for his spot, knows a couple of ordinary non impacting games will start the process of change

One of the others I spoke to was the big Rush, joked that most pundits had him in his last year, he is feeling really good and refreshed, another one who is doing every session, looking forward to fighting off the competition for his spot, knows a couple of ordinary non impacting games will start the process of change

Another one who had no trouble kicking goals Saty

I think he kicked more today than in his career to this point.

He did look very fit I guess no injuries will do that.

I called in this morning for about an hour not a lot to add to what Saty has said.

I would confirm his comments about Hogan, when they were doing the goal kicking exercise Hogan hit the centre with every kick.

In Total I did not see too many that missed I guess this is a good example that kicking goals at training is a lot easier than during a game when the pressure is on.

I was very surprised at the size of Oscar Mac he looks to be a little taller than his big brother and almost as muscular, he could be a very big unit in a year or two.

Pleasantly surprised with the average physical development of the team when I think back a couple of years they make that group look like school kids.

Still a bit of fun for Saty and I plus 20 others well it is the 3rd of December.

Interesting comments on O McD. From his highlight looks to have considerable forward half potential as well. With his size, marking ability and speed might turn out to be a great foil for Hogan. Reminds me of Fitz on one of his very good days although a lot better mark.

I like to drip feed who I talked to if they get mentioned, similar to Russian, Fitzy is fit and firing and hasn;t missed a session, if he gets though he is another one who will have their first full preseason, his marking was impacted by the shoulder issues he had in the past, which are now fixed (same with Tommy Mc), on the goalkicking drill hardly missed, but being Fitzy couldn't resist at the end practicing the checksides, he didn't miss one of them either...

I posted the other week, we have quite a few 'forgotten" players who are finally getting in a full preseason....the competition for places is going to be fierce,, hoo bloody ray finally

Speaking of which I also spoke to Jack Grimes, he made the decision to stop being a co captain because he knows the competition is finally going to be there and he needs to improve his on field output, he is in great nick as well, hasn't missed a session

• Like 10

I was there for a few minutes as they started, so I must have just missed you OD. I don't have anything to add, except that I thought it interesting to see Goodwin working with Watts and Spencer on contested marking as the main group were stretching.

• Like 1

The rain looked like it would hold off so I decided to walk my unemployed self to watch what was a very enjoyable to watch training sessions. I remember reading reports from Monday that the session was mainly focused on running drills. Today's session was all about skill drills and exercises.

The main part of the session was based around five groups

The five groups were as follows (apologises to those who were there if I missed anyone)

Group #1 The Talls/Rucks - Jamar, Hogan, Pedo, Gawn, Fitzy, King, Vince

Group #2 The Backs - Garland, Tommy Mac, Dunn, Oscar Mac, Frost

Group #3 Mids - Salem, Jetta, Garlett, Cross, Tyson

Group #4 More Mids - Toump, Grimes, Viney, Matt Jones

Group #5 Even More Mids - N.Jones, Lumumba, JKH, Newton, (think Petracca joined for a while)

The five drills were as follows

Kicking drill - players would kick the ball to each other

Goal kicking - receiving a pass and having a shot on the run

Marking drill - players would attempt to mark against

Hard Ball Gets - mostly just players bending over and picking up footys on the run

Midfield drill I didn't watch

New draftees were involved in some boxing exercises before spreading out to the other groups. Also worth noting that Mckenzie and Spencer were involved in these boxing exercises all session

Kent, Dawes, Harmes and Terlich ran laps for most of the session

After groups rotated around to each drill, players split into new groups and participated in new drills

There was then a midfield drill involving roving where players would pair up and attempt to gather the ball before their opponent. Players involved included N.Jones, Tyson, Lumumba, Cross, Petracca, Salem, Neal-Bullen, Viney, M.Jones. Players like Jamar and Gawn would ruck for the pairs. The boys looked like they were having a lot of fun with this one.

Some drool worthy match ups including N.Jones vs Tyson as well as Cross vs Lumumba. A highlight here was when Cross and Viney were paired up. Viney ended up reading the ball better than Cross and came out on top.

A few boys also practiced shots at goal Toump, Howe, JKH, Grimes, Pedders Harmes and Fitzy. A great moment when Harmes missed a shot from a snap kick and Fitzy then showed him how to do it the right way.

A number of players were also participating in some more boxing exercises, couldn't identify any.

Dawes, Kent, Mckenzie, Spencer, Brayshaw and Stretch left early. Noticed the number 10 was on Brayshaw's bag as he was leaving. He still has that devilish smile on his face.

A few points

- Toump and Tyson looked on, really on. Both were marking and kicking well throughout the entire session.

- Grimes looked a lot smoother than I remember seeing him

- I love watching JKH gathering the ball, so smooth and silky. Could easily see him slip into the midfield next year.

- Dawes was looking very fit (as an enthusiastic supporter noted)

- Didn't see Watts anywhere, neither Bail

• Like 22

After the physical pounding they took on Monday, today was more about ball work, there was an interesting one being run by Ben Mathews with chain passing and it was being timed, there was another goal kicking one where they received the ball from a backwards kick from the pocket into a central position about 40 out

Speed of ball movement was a massive issue last year. I like the sound of this type of drill, putting pressure on players to move the ball immediately and make good decisions quickly.

• Like 2

Whats the reason for "Watts, Terlich, Gawn, Spencer, Riley, McKenzie, Kent, Dawes, Harmes, Stretch, Brayshaw and to some extent Bernie Vince" being on modified programs?

Either picked up a bit of an injury or recovering from op, being done properly, all confirmed by either the player or Dave Misson

Watts -groin

Terlich - ankle (op)

Gawn - knee

Spencer - ankle (op), bit of back soreness

Riley - leg, making sure we don't damage the one he broke

McKenzie - calf, had issues last season

Kent - quad

Dawes - history of soft tissue

Harmes - glandular fever

Stretch, Brayshaw - new

Vince - shoulder (op)

Edited by The Devil Inside
  • Like 9

Just a quick one. If I was to go watch training where would I park?

Alexandra ave right near Morrell bridge 80 cents per hour parking.

Walk across the Morrell bridge and you are there 3 minute walk.

Easy.

• Like 1