Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

THE ROAD TO ROUND 1, 2015

iv'a worn smith

It looks like it came down to "young, inexperienced, potential, good skills, but are a traditionally low possession group die to experience" (Toumpas, Salem, possibly Brayshaw) vs "senior, experienced, flawed disposal, run all day, but prone to silly errors".

Hopefully Toumpas and Salem are ready to step up.

• Like 4

I just realised since I moved I have no idea where my membership is...

Buy another one. We are less than half Richmond's membership numbers as it is!

• Like 1

I don't mind that. Only concern would be it leaves us exposed if jamar goes down.

It makes no difference if Frost is front or back if Jamar goes down. the only difference is Garland vs. Dawes [who is probably a better back-up ruck]

It makes no difference if Frost is front or back if Jamar goes down. the only difference is Garland vs. Dawes [who is probably a better back-up ruck]

Neither Dawes nor Garland will ruck, if Frost goes back he can't take the ruck post without disrupting our defence.

If Frost plays forward this week as named he will also do resting ruck.

Edited by deanox

Really pleased with the side.

In some respects it's very sad to say, but most of us are happy that Grimes, Bail, M Jones and McKenzie aren't in the side. Slowly but surely we are beginning to develop a list that doesn't require those sorts of players to plug holes or be players they're not.

It's all just names on paper at the moment though. We've still got three debutants plus a bunch of unproven players. But it's a much more exciting thought to see this 22 and think about what might happen.

Whatever happens, cannot wait for the game!

Interesting that with almost everyone fit that is who the selectors think are the best/in form 22.

When fit/available, Dawes and Vince both come in. But who for? I'd say Frost for Dawes, and one of Toumpas/vanDemon/Brayshaw for Vince, depending on form.

If Dawes does come in for Frost, who does the back up ruck role? If both play, with Hogan, I fear week be a touch too tall up forward, we have worked better with a shorter forward line.

I feel we are a touch short in the forward line though given we don't have a true back up ruck. Frost will do it, and I suspect Howe will swing forward at times to add an extra dimension.

Interesting.

I don't think Dawes can come in for Frost, in this side Frost has to be the second ruckman and there's no way we use Dawes in that role after what happened at Collingwood wit him. No point playing Hogan in the ruck, that's robbing Peter to pay Paul (and we wouldn't really be paying Paul anyway as Hogan's no use in the ruck).

I suppose Dawes moves into the forward line, Frost either stays or plays in the back line and rucks from there (which isn't ideal, but will have to do).

Good team at selection. Interesting mix of experience levels and some good positional flexibility to allow the coaching panel to respond to different game situations.

The only area of the field that I look at and cross my fingers is the forwards. Hogan first game and Frost named at FF and possibly fillin ruck. Garrett and Watts could be our main avenues to a score. What I do like about the forward set up is that it is very mobile and quick and that could be an advantage as long as the kids feed it.

The back 6 as named should be capable of holding a score from the Sunnies as they do not have a well structured set up. It will be critical during the first quarter that the coaching staff look to take every advantage of possible mis-matches in the back half that fall our way. Lumumba, Frost and Watts can always be used as cover there if required.

The midfield looks a lot stronger than in recent years but we do have Vineyard as our only experienced mid on the bench. Anything we get out of Brayshaw and vandenBerg should be looked at as a bonus.

Brayshaw as sub to replace Cross midway through the third quarter. JKH on the bench to come into the pocket when Frost moves to Ruck. Hogan to FF and Watts to CHF.

Be a good game and very close. Dees by a goal.

• Like 3

Good team at selection. Interesting mix of experience levels and some good positional flexibility to allow the coaching panel to respond to different game situations.

The only area of the field that I look at and cross my fingers is the forwards. Hogan first game and Frost named at FF and possibly fillin ruck. Garrett and Watts could be our main avenues to a score. What I do like about the forward set up is that it is very mobile and quick and that could be an advantage as long as the kids feed it.

The back 6 as named should be capable of holding a score from the Sunnies as they do not have a well structured set up. It will be critical during the first quarter that the coaching staff look to take every advantage of possible mis-matches in the back half that fall our way. Lumumba, Frost and Watts can always be used as cover there if required.

The midfield looks a lot stronger than in recent years but we do have Vineyard as our only experienced mid on the bench. Anything we get out of Brayshaw and vandenBerg should be looked at as a bonus.

Brayshaw as sub to replace Cross midway through the third quarter. JKH on the bench to come into the pocket when Frost moves to Ruck. Hogan to FF and Watts to CHF.

Hey mate I really like you positive look on this game( and I share the same opinion) but be prepared for the Gold Coast to have great skills, use the ball well and show melbourne how far off the mark we are.
  • Like 2

Hey mate I really like you positive look on this game( and I share the same opinion) but be prepared for the Gold Coast to have great skills, use the ball well and show melbourne how far off the mark we are.

I am prepared for any outcome in reality. However, do want to see an improvement in the Dees skill levels and commitment. I want to see a closing of the gap that has been displayed over the last few years.

Our players have more experience playing at the G and we should have the majority of the crowd (no matter the size) behind us.

Close game that we may just squeak.

So you are happy with the Matt Jones omission, even though you screamed from the rooftops he was a cert for Round 1?

Yes, but I was wrong which I am willing to admit, personally I would not have picked Kent, Brayshaw, but I am not the coach..

We will see posters orgasming at the thought of all new talent on display, and will turn on them just as quickly if they don't perform and there is a bad loss....the story of Demonland

• Like 1

He went one on one with him and the stats were very even. He can certainly hold his own against Ablett.

Untitleddddd.png

When Jones was tagging Ablett Ablett was beating him but when they forgot about Ablett and let Jones off the leash Jones singlehandedly got us back in the game. Can't worry too much about Ablett he's unbeatable, just got to hope that Jones can play a blinder.

• Like 1

who do you guys think will be sub?

Will be between VanDemon and JKH you'd think?

It should be Howe.

• Like 1

Happy with the team as I definitely think this is our best chance for a win in the first 7 weeks.

Vince will be a blow but I thought he would still be another week away after only getting 12 touches last week.

Even though it was on the cards I'm still shocked to see Grimes out, I thought Toumpas would be the obvious out but saying that I think it is a good move. He is a confidence player and needs to be shown some love and Roos has backed him in so it's time for Toumpas to repay the faith and perform, with Dawes and Vince to come in next week it's now or never.

The myth that Roos will go with experience ahead of kids is just that a myth. He will go for talent first and that is how it should be.

It really doesn't look good for Grimes he certainly needs to be put on the trade table. Vickery can't get a game maybe Grimes can get a game with his brother.

Wow. If you can't kick, you won't play.

Exciting that we have gone down this route.

I'm concerned that we have gone so inexperienced though.

I don't think we have the midfield fire power to win.

If we do win, this place will go nuts!

Looks like a team picked by Demonland. Bail, Jones and Grimes all out. Very refreshing.

Although I think Grimes is the slightly unlucky one. His last two Nab Challenge games were decent.

Edited by Forest Demon
  • Like 2

Bold call on Brayshaw for mine, but if Roos thinks he is ready that will do me, after watching all pre season the rest I am cool with, Howe will be fine, outstanding at training again today

Disagree. Brayshaw has earnt his selection. Not a bold call. The only one against Williamstown to contest on the wing then pushed back for 5th an 6 th efforts to get a goal.

• Like 1

It looks like it came down to "young, inexperienced, potential, good skills, but are a traditionally low possession group die to experience" (Toumpas, Salem, possibly Brayshaw) vs "senior, experienced, flawed disposal, run all day, but prone to silly errors".

Hopefully Toumpas and Salem are ready to step up.

Agree. Salem was never really in question, but it's a particularly big vote of confidence for Toumpas I think. It could just as easily have been Matt Jones in his place as the 'safe'(?) option. I'm really happy for him and hope he can deliver - and if he doesn't, is persevered with for a while.

• Like 4

You watch how many mis matches Watts will create....I just hope our midfield look up and pass him the bloody ball!

The non-selection of Grimes, Bail, M.Jones and McKenzie goes to show that 90% of Demonland posters are astute judges of talent.

I'm one of the 90% and the only one of these four who I'd ever like to see back is Grimes if he can work on his kicking. Bail lost me forever when he gave us the chase on the wing and the Don's player slammed one through in the Nab game. Matt Jones and Mckenzie r turnover kings who just can't kick.

You watch how many mis matches Watts will create....I just hope our midfield look up and pass him the bloody ball!

I am more concerned with our mids getting the ball. We are very inexperienced on the outside.

I'm one of the 90% and the only one of these four who I'd ever like to see back is Grimes if he can work on his kicking. Bail lost me forever when he gave us the chase on the wing and the Don's player slammed one through in the Nab game. Matt Jones and Mckenzie r turnover kings who just can't kick.

I'm not a big Bail fan, but he was chasing Dalgleish who had won the Terang gift. No one on our list would have caught him if he was full pace. Bail is more endurance than sprinter.

I don't give a [censored] who is in our side as long as they can kick and have a crack at the contest. Love what Roosy has selected