Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Who are your top 3 picks in order for the 2014 National Draft?

ignition.

For all you dreamers, wannabe recruiters, and draftee "experts", this is your chance to state your drafting order ahead of the 2014 AFL National Draft.

We will do it as the club would (and all other clubs) come draft night. We'll write down our exact orders to select the draftees and if any are selected prior they are crossed off the list and the next in order will be taken. Now this is quite easy this year considering we are dealing with pick 2 and 3, although hopefully in years to come this exercise will get harder as we climb the ladder.

It doesn't matter if you know next to nothing about the draft, or if you've watched every highlights package, read every stats sheet, or have been to numerous games, this is just for fun.

So now the question is who has the Midas touch or Marty McFly's sports almanac? We'll find out in a few years :)

--------------------------------

Here's mine:

1. Christian Petracca

2. Angus Brayshaw

3. Nakia Cockatoo

Why (only if you want to):

I consider Petracca and Brayshaw currently the best two talents and both blue chip selections meaning they are most likely to progress well and succeed at the AFL level.

As for Cockatoo, he had produced similar games in his past but we just didn't see enough of him this year, I think if we had he would certainly be in everyone's top 3 or 5 equations. He practically has it all, strength, evasiveness, vision & poise, speed, the skills (accurate kicking and clean hands/ both sides), and an excellent attitude. He can play on the outside or get his hands dirty on the inside, he also has a nice leap and can certainly take a mark. As for those mouth watering highlight packages that potential draftees take the entire season to generate, Cockatoo produced his from one game. By obtaining at least one blue chip above I believe Cockatoo is certainly worth "the risk" (foot and lack of 2014 exposure) and finally I feel he's miles ahead of the next few midfielders (for those going by "needs") and likely ready to go come 2015.

Who just misses your cut?

4. Patrick McCartin: As much as I would love to see he and Hogan develop and line up next to each other for the next decade, Cockatoo has won me over.

--------------------------------

Additional information regarding bios, stats, and highlights can be found here:

http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-machine

Edited by ignition.
  • Like 2

I agree with your first four picks,I think a more interesting exercise may be to try and predict all of our picks:

#2 Angus Brayshaw

#3 Nakia Cockatoo

#40 Oscar McDonald

#42 Billy Stretch ( fs )

#53 Matthew Panos

#83 Neville Jetta ( rookie upgrade )

RD2 Caleb Daniel

RD20 Project Tall

Edited by flamindees

Petracca

Brayshaw

McCartin

Brayshaw and Petracca are a given, but next years draft is full of midfielders, not every day you get to pick up a draftee who's been compared to Roughie (Head and style of play)

• Like 2

Petracca

not every day you get to pick up a draftee who's been compared to Roughie (Head and style of play)

You're right.

It's not every day, it's every year that a player from the draft is compared to a bonafide star of the AFL. And I can guarantee you there'll be another forward next year who will draw comparisons from some other AFL star forward.

I can also say I'm supremely confident we won't be drafting McCartin given the fact that our club is stuck at the bottom because of our lack of midfield depth and talent. Don't know how people continually miss that fact.

Petracca

Brayshaw

Lever

If cockatoo were selected, I'd also be over the moon.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 3

Petracca

Brayshaw

McCartin

Brayshaw and Petracca are a given, but next years draft is full of midfielders, not every day you get to pick up a draftee who's been compared to Roughie (Head and style of play)

Too funny - nearly ever article you read has some under 18 footballer compared to some modern day superstar. This is to give the uninitiated an idea of how he plays in the under 18 competition. FYI - Bontempelli described as Pendlebury, KADE KOLODJASHNIJ as Grant Burchill, Dom Sheed - simon black, Patrick Cripps - Jobe Watson.Lewis Taylor - Brent Harvey ( I'll stop looking now)

• Like 1

You're right.

It's not every day, it's every year that a player from the draft is compared to a bonafide star of the AFL. And I can guarantee you there'll be another forward next year who will draw comparisons from some other AFL star forward.

I can also say I'm supremely confident we won't be drafting McCartin given the fact that our club is stuck at the bottom because of our lack of midfield depth and talent. Don't know how people continually miss that fact.

Petracca

Brayshaw

Lever

So.. we grab a key defender who 'might' be a good midfielder?

• Like 1

1- Patrick McCartin ( the saints won't pass up on a key forward of his quality to develop under Roo)

2- Angus Brayshaw ( Roos absolutely loves this kid and he is 100% ready to go round 1 2015 )

3- Christian Petracca or Jake Lever

• Like 1

My predicted top three:

1) Petracca

2) Brayshaw

3) McCartin

All are talented, strong, big-bodied players able to play in the congestion of the modern game. Whether it be bursting from a pack (Petracca) running through a back (Brayshaw) or busting a marking pack (McCartin).

Then to round out the top 5:

4) Lever

5) Laverde

Being a football supporter and having neither the time or energy to put into choosing recruits I will trust Jason Taylor and co to do thier job.

I like what Taylor has done so far. If he "reaches" for a player becasue he feels that player is the player avaialable that will have the best career then I will support it. I think we are learning that "safe" drafting according to expert opinion isn't necessarily safe at all.

I know that we like Lever a lot, whether we like him enough for ND3 I don't know, and I know that we have spoken to Panos and the idea of picking him up at 53 or a mature rookie appeals to me.

Might be pissweak but so be it, I think Taylor and his consults will play a big part in our rise up the ladder.

• Like 2

1- Patrick McCartin ( the saints won't pass up on a key forward of his quality to develop under Roo)

2- Angus Brayshaw ( Roos absolutely loves this kid and he is 100% ready to go round 1 2015 )

3- Christian Petracca or Jake Lever

I hope that you are right [except for Jake Lever]. I would be happy with McCartin however for the same reason that you suspect that the Saints may lean towards him!

• Like 1

You're right.

Petracca

Brayshaw

Lever

No one argues the need for midfield depth and talent. Roos has said so ad nauseam. His 2014 recruits support that and for 2015 we have added Newton, Stretch, Brayshaw (expected) and running players Lumumba and Gartlett. Frost was acquired to replace Frawley (no net gain). What if Hogan is injured again...or Dawes? Who is our 2nd KPF? There isn't one. It would have to be a Selley's selection (gap filler) from our ruck, defence or flankers......a move that rarely works more than a week. IF the MFC believe McCartin is as good as his wraps we have to pick him.

Who were our household names in our recent successful years.....who kept us in the finals....who were the game changes? Lyon, Neitz & Schwarz. All KPF's of whom 2 could also play KPB. Ask any non MFC football follower who was in our midfield in those years and they will look at you blankly (and we even had a Brownlow medallist!) I know the game has changed but it's still footy and quality key forwards will always be gold and much harder to cover than even a top midfielder.

Gary Ablett/Gold Coast is an obvious exception

• Like 1

No one argues the need for midfield depth and talent. Roos has said so ad nauseam. His 2014 recruits support that and for 2015 we have added Newton, Stretch, Brayshaw (expected) and running players Lumumba and Gartlett. Frost was acquired to replace Frawley (no net gain). What if Hogan is injured again...or Dawes? Who is our 2nd KPF? There isn't one. It would have to be a Selley's selection (gap filler) from our ruck, defence or flankers......a move that rarely works more than a week. IF the MFC believe McCartin is as good as his wraps we have to pick him.

Who were our household names in our recent successful years.....who kept us in the finals....who were the game changes? Lyon, Neitz & Schwarz. All KPF's of whom 2 could also play KPB. Ask any non MFC football follower who was in our midfield in those years and they will look at you blankly (and we even had a Brownlow medallist!) I know the game has changed but it's still footy and quality key forwards will always be gold and much harder to cover than even a top midfielder.

But Lyon, Neitz & Schwarz played to effective midfields. We have the most ineffective midfield in the comp, even despite the gains we made last season.

I'm sure they haven't ruled out Mc.Cartin at this stage. But we've got to find another 2 or 3 B-grade-or-better mids from somewhere, and the top of the draft is one of our best chances.

Edited by Akum

1. Christian Petracca

2. Paddy McCartin

3. Angus Brayshaw

Cockatoo is too much of a risk at three for mine. I've seen his highlights and he looks fantastic, but I wouldn't be willing to use pick 3 on him based on a single performance.

But Lyon, Neitz & Schwarz played to effective midfields. We have the most ineffective midfield in the comp, even despite the gains we made last season.

I'm sure they haven't ruled out Mc.Cartin at this stage. But we've got to find another 2 or 3 B-grade-or-better mids from somewhere, and the top of the draft is one of our best chances.

Totally accept what you say as we have the statistically proven worst centre clearance team in comp by far. We will pick up one of the 2 best midfielders in the comp and then it seems to be pretty open as far as who's the next best midfielder, including those identified as 'potential' midfielders. Again, only IF the MFC believe like most 'experts' that McCartin is the stand out natural KPF in the draft do I believe we should take him as there is more to gain from this one selection if the potential is realised. I'd be happy for every other pick to be used on midfielder although I would like to see a rookie pick used on a project tall.

Keep in mind the ages of these guys below - a couple of which are already established. With the appointments of Simon Goodwin, Shannon Byrnes and in particular Brendan McCartney, it is clear that player development (a long recognised club weakness) is finally a high priority and we would hope that we would find the 2-3 you speak of in this group.

Hunt 19, Kennedy-Harris 19, Kent 20, Salem 19, Stretch 18, Toumpas 20, Tyson 21, Viney 20, Harmes 19,

Either way, club and team circa 2015 is looking a lot better than we've seen recently.

• Like 1

Those 3 forwards were great but our midfield was very good at that time. I'm sure even non MFC supporters would know the names of Viney, Tingay, Lovett, Stretch and Lovell to name a few.

I went to the club's draft information night on Thursday evening which featured Jason Taylor and Todd Viney. They discussed the club's 2014 trade and draft strategies and the development of the club's list.

The main thing I came away with was that the only imperative when making selections 2 & 3 was to take the best player available. Of course, there's still a subjective element there because the "best" would have to comply with the style of game the head coach and football department are striving to achieve.

Jason Taylor gave his brief impressions of the four leading candidates for picks 2 & 3, stressing that they were not in any particular order - Christian Petracca, Patrick McCartin, Angus Brayshaw and Jake Lever. He gave brief pen pictures of all four and I won't go into exact details but they were generally in accord with what the better draft watchers in the media have been saying.

The impression I gained was that the expectation is that Petracca is likely to be picked by the Saints and that we're more likely to take McCartin and Brayshaw ahead of Lever. I gathered this mainly from his body language and voice when describing the players. I could be wrong but he sounded quite enthusiastic about McCartin and unless he's a very good actor, it seems to me that he'll be taken ahead of Lever if it comes to that.

Taylor and Viney's best 4 differs from that referred to by Josh Mahoney in a recent interview (he had Peter Wright in there and not Lever).

Taylor also said that he was not fazed by McCartin's diabetes issues (he was in receipt of updated medical reports) or the fact that some consider him a similar type to Jesse Hogan and he believed that if we took McCartin they would complement each other.

I wouldn't worry about any other player as a candidate for 2 & 3. The choices will come from those four names.

I also attended a charity lunch for Les Twentyman's foundation for homeless and troubled youth and Paul Roos was keynote speaker.

While he didn't cover any specific ground relating to who we would pick here or anywhere else he did stress the importance of character and commitment of young recruits, something about which both Taylor and Viney were both strong in their presentations and which their best four definitely fit very well.

• Like 11

Thanks WJ. Good.

It seems that all the u 18 watchers/experts are nominating brayshaw, petracca and mccartin as the three best players this year.

So it is fairly simple. Saints take who they want (likely Petracca) and we take the other two.

Makes sense to me. Welcome to the MFC brayshaw and mccartin!

• Like 2