Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - BEN NEWTON

Moneider96

These types of pick ups seem shrewd to me as you are buying low.. You could pick up a 50 game player who hasn't quite shown enough, or a player such as Michie, Riley and Newtown who haven't really had enough opportunity.

At very least these guys improve the the bottom end of the list. Now if we can just nail this draft thingy we might be able to add to to top part of the list.

Dunn Frost Jetta

Lumumba Mcdonald Garland

Cross Tyson JKH

Vince Dawes Kent

Howe Hogan Garlett

Foll:

Jamar, Jones, Viney

INT from: Michie, Newton, Watts, Bail, Grimes, Salem, Toumpas, Pedersen.

NB: Purely authors opinion on rough 2015 side. Expecations re Viney and JKH that they can improve to be starting 18. NBB: This team lacks speed through the centre and will need to be addressed.

Back: Dunn, Frost, Jetta

Half-back: Lumumba, T-Mac, Grimes

Mid: Vince, Viney, Cross

Half-forward: Howe, Dawes, Kent

Forward: JKH, Hogan, Garlett

Followers: Jamar, Jones, Tyson

I/C: Watts, Pedersen, Salem, Garland

Toumpas, Newton, Michie, ND2, ND3, Bail, Gawn will all be around the mark too.

• Like 1

Back: Dunn, Frost, Jetta

Half-back: Lumumba, T-Mac, Grimes

Mid: Vince, Viney, Cross

Half-forward: Howe, Dawes, Kent

Forward: JKH, Hogan, Garlett

Followers: Jamar, Jones, Tyson

I/C: Watts, Pedersen, Salem, Garland

Toumpas, Newton, Michie, ND2, ND3, Bail, Gawn will all be around the mark too.

Poor old Garland.

youre assuming he HAS to play seniors in 15.

I think we'll see a lot more development in the magoos for the noobs from here on in. if they show they have it , theyll play, otherwise its learn the trade kid !!

Didn't assume this but thought he had become the forgotten recruit and perhaps he could at least make the Interchange/Sub list in some of the 2015 team posts

• Like 1

The idea of free agency, according to the AFL, is to afford players not getting the opportunity at their current clubs to move to a club that does give them an opportunity. Now the RFA and UFA model will never achieve that because of the amount of time players have to wait - very few players survive on a list for 8 years (or whatever it is - sorry) without getting much opportunity. The only way the system works in this case is the DFA.

Players who aren't getting an opportunity generally aren't going to whizz off to a strong team; that's just gambling with your own future because you couldn't be sure the new opportunity will be any better than the old one. The bottom line is these guys want to play; it's why Membrey is now at St. Kilda as a DFA and Newton is at Melbourne as a DFA. I don't mind this model because I think in 90% of cases, the player is going to choose a weak team; it would be counterproductive not to. I don't see why you have to force him to go to St. Kilda through the PSD. Realistically he's probably going to choose St. Kilda, Melbourne, Footscray or GWS anyway, and he ain't going to choose Hawthorn. You might as well give him the freedom.

The decision of these boys to go to the lowest clubs is great. But it is not an argument for the process - only for their healthy inclination to go somewhere for the benefit of their career.

I also would question your 90% number - when it comes to players choosing the weakest teams. They go to the teams that want them the most. Geelong had a dearth of good talls, so we lose Clark to them. Hawthorn wanted a former Pick 3 from two years ago and he got there pretty easily...

If you give Ben Newton the freedom at 22 to go where he wants - it weakens the FA model the AFL has just brought in.

If we are ok with a bloke leaving after 4 years to wherever he wants - why do we care so much about FA being 8 years for RFA and 10 years for UFA?

I just think, if we want to have a structure - it should be understandable and uniform - if you are offered a contract by your team, you can't be a DFA.

I don't see why you have to force him to go to St. Kilda through the PSD. Realistically he's probably going to choose St. Kilda, Melbourne, Footscray or GWS anyway, and he ain't going to choose Hawthorn. You might as well give him the freedom.

I think you're spot on Nash. And if they go through the draft who is to say they won't end up at a good club anywhere where their situation is just replicated.

Just on the system. Membrey and Newton decided not to sign and are therefore out of contract. Can their original team keep them on the list or do they automatically become DFA at 31st October when the player contract expires?

I think the FA system works very well for the Newtons and Membreys of this world. They weren't getting a go at their original club so they get to go where they are both wanted and think they will get a go.

Works well for me.

The idea of free agency, according to the AFL, is to afford players not getting the opportunity at their current clubs to move to a club that does give them an opportunity. Now the RFA and UFA model will never achieve that because of the amount of time players have to wait - very few players survive on a list for 8 years (or whatever it is - sorry) without getting much opportunity. The only way the system works in this case is the DFA.

Players who aren't getting an opportunity generally aren't going to whizz off to a strong team; that's just gambling with your own future because you couldn't be sure the new opportunity will be any better than the old one. The bottom line is these guys want to play; it's why Membrey is now at St. Kilda as a DFA and Newton is at Melbourne as a DFA. I don't mind this model because I think in 90% of cases, the player is going to choose a weak team; it would be counterproductive not to. I don't see why you have to force him to go to St. Kilda through the PSD. Realistically he's probably going to choose St. Kilda, Melbourne, Footscray or GWS anyway, and he ain't going to choose Hawthorn. You might as well give him the freedom.

I'm glad you qualified your statement with "generally". Otherwise Blease to Geelong shoots down what is otherwise a cogent argument.

• Like 1

I think you're spot on Nash. And if they go through the draft who is to say they won't end up at a good club anywhere where their situation is just replicated.

Just on the system. Membrey and Newton decided not to sign and are therefore out of contract. Can their original team keep them on the list or do they automatically become DFA at 31st October when the player contract expires?

I think the FA system works very well for the Newtons and Membreys of this world. They weren't getting a go at their original club so they get to go where they are both wanted and think they will get a go.

Works well for me.

I think the answer is 'yes'. The other option for a player is to delist or resign from the club and put themselves into the draft. Others may have more specific knowledge but I think the only way a player can be a DFA if he is delisted by the club (which is what Port and Sydney have generously done).

I just think, if we want to have a structure - it should be understandable and uniform - if you are offered a contract by your team, you can't be a DFA.

I essentially agree, but there has to be criteria of sorts otherwise a club could throw any old piece of rubbish dressed up as an offer and cry foul should it not be taken up. Not saying its the case here but not too far away either. A 1 year deal on so so money ?? v a longer term offer from any number of other clubs An argument for restriction of trade could gather legs possibly on that basis..

Where I agree RPFC is the whole FA , DFA anything and everything else has dissolved into a schmozzle . The AFL were originally taking it all down one path and then the AFLPA hijacked it down another. its all over the place and yet we got more than decent compo for that #8 bloke and have been able to pick up for nix another . There are definitely inequities that need correcting as you suggest.

Edited by beelzebub

In Michie, Riley & now Newton, we've gathered 3 fringe players from clubs with better midfields, in the hope that one of them will step up like Josh Kennedy. I suppose you could put Tyson into this category too. And the 4 of them have all spent a lot of time injured, which has hindered them being able to show their true potential.

We don't get them because they'll continue their current standard and just provide us another fringe midfielder; we get them for their potential to become A-grade.

And there's at least as much chance of one of these becoming A-grade as there is of Lever or Laverde or Duggan etc.

So it's a shrewd & sensible way to build a list.

• Like 5

I'm glad you qualified your statement with "generally". Otherwise Blease to Geelong shoots down what is otherwise a cogent argument.

The Blease scenario is different LDvC; we've given him the flick and therefore couldn't give a rats where he went. In the cases of Membrey and Newton, it was a case of the player saying "thanks but no thanks", not the club showing them the door.

• Like 1

I also would question your 90% number - when it comes to players choosing the weakest teams. They go to the teams that want them the most. Geelong had a dearth of good talls, so we lose Clark to them. Hawthorn wanted a former Pick 3 from two years ago and he got there pretty easily...

I'm talking specifically about fringe 22 players. I'm not talking about Mitch Clark leaving because it was all too hard at Melbourne, or Jono O'Rourke leaving for... whatever he left for. I'm talking about players outside the best 22 who are leaving for more games elsewhere, like Newton or Membrey. I wonder what might have happened had deals not been able to be brokered for Mitch Hallahan, Kyle Cheney, Luke Lowden or Viv Michie?

I agree that the system has a number of undesirable outcomes, but I don't think this particular scenario is one of them.

• Like 4

Works well for me.

Both Sydney and Port could have kept those two on their list for the first list lodgement. After that, they are removed for the second, but they are then to go through either the PSD or the ND to get to another club.

These clubs decided to do these players a favour and grant them FA rights when they didn't have to.

My issue is not with that culturally righteous and ethical decision - it is with the fact that it isn't applied universally. And if it was, we would have a more pure Free Agency (one where any 'out of contract' player is a FA regardless of years spent on a list), and I don't think we want that.

I just want consistency.

With the recruitment of Newton, in bringing in Frost, Lumumba, Newton and Garlett, we have used the trade and FA period to strengthen every line.

Bringing in Newton gives us another left footer to play in midfield alongside Salem and Viney. If we add Brayshaw, who is very good off both feet (predominantly kicks left footed in general play, right when lining up for goal), that’s a nice little group that we can bring through in a similar vein to Hawthorn.

The other plus in the Newton signing is that it helps make up for our missteps in the 2010 draft. Whilst we missed with the Cook pick, we have now added Michie and Newton in addition to Howe and McDonald who have established themselves as regular senior players. If Michie and Newton become regular contributors, our list profile all of a sudden looks a hell of a lot better. Especially if the majority of our picks from 2012 (Toumpas, Viney, Kent, Barry) 2013 (Hogan, Salem, JKH, Hunt) & 2014 (Stretch + picks 2 &3) are developed well under the current regime. 2011 was a complete write off for us, but at least we’ve ended up with Tyson and now Frost from that draft year.

Edited by ChaserJ
  • Like 14

Welcome to the MFC, Ben!

I know it's only the SANFL and it's a big step up to the AFL but I liked what I found on the Port Adelaide Magpies website about Newton's 2014.

"Ben Newton finished second in the best and fairest count after polling in 16 of 21 games throughout the season, including five best-on-ground performances.

Newton was also awarded the club's prestigious Fos Williams Memorial Award as the team's most dedicated player."

• Like 2

Good pick up. Guys like Michie, Pigdog and Newton can hopefully establish themselves in our best 22 and allow our kids an opportunity to play AFL when they've earned it.

I really hope Casey start recruiting some talent to compliment and help aid our development of our young guys. Our core group of young guys from 12/13/14 drafts should be allowed to develop within the VFL system without us "needing them" to play AFL before they are ready.

I really hope by mid year we don't see Terlich, M Jones, Grimes, Bail in the same AFL team.

I'm hopeful guys like Kent, Toumpas and JKH can establish themselves in the senior team this year.

Both Sydney and Port could have kept those two on their list for the first list lodgement. After that, they are removed for the second, but they are then to go through either the PSD or the ND to get to another club.

These clubs decided to do these players a favour and grant them FA rights when they didn't have to.

My issue is not with that culturally righteous and ethical decision - it is with the fact that it isn't applied universally. And if it was, we would have a more pure Free Agency (one where any 'out of contract' player is a FA regardless of years spent on a list), and I don't think we want that.

I just want consistency.

But Port wouldn't have released him if he was a 1st XVIII player. He couldn't get a game for them so the club did the right thing by the player and let him seek a fresh start somewhere else.

If it was Wines or a player of his ilk looking to leave it'd be a completely different situation!

But Port wouldn't have released him if he was a 1st XVIII player. He couldn't get a game for them so the club did the right thing by the player and let him seek a fresh start somewhere else.

If it was Wines or a player of his ilk looking to leave it'd be a completely different situation!

He was offered a contract??