Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Team at Completion of Trading 2014

watchtheeyes

No Gawn Jimbo ?

I thought hard about it, but not for me. As tall as he is, once the ball hits the ground he loses impact. I think Spencer (and even Fitzpatrick) are more athletic. Likely this will be Jamar's final season, so in 2017 Gawn/Spencer will be my premier two (providing big Max's knee hold up).

In an ideal world I think a starting 22 would look something similar to:

Back: Jetta Frost Garland

Half Back: Lamumba McDonald Dunn

Centre: Vince N.Jones Howe

Half Forward: Watts Dawes Garlett

Forward: Hogan Fitzpatrick JKH

Rucks: Gawn Vince Tyson

Int: Mitchie Pederson Grimes

Sub: Salem

Emerg: Cross Bail Harmes

Backs – Jetta to lock down the small forward (and capable of rebound)

Frost to play Gorilla Keeper

McDonald to lock down the other tall (has the endurance to run with CHF)

Garland to take the remaining tall/small (has shown he can do this over the years)

Dunn and Lamumba are our attacking options from the back flank – Dunn by foot (long bullet passes can get the ball quickly into the forward line) Lamumba by run and carry.

Midfield – Jones two way running is a necessity for the centre, he has also shown he can lock down on an opponent whilst getting possessions. A true captains position

On the wings Vince’s disposal will set up forwards while Howe will be impossible to match up, his disposal is also not to shabby, while he could float forward/back to create/fix headaches

Viney and Tyson are there to win the ball, their disposal is more than acceptable (remember they are disposing it under pressure, which like Jone,s will improve significantly with experience and greater team support)

Gawn is quickly overtaking Jamar and provides a better option up front and around the ground

Forwards - Garltett needs to play on the Forward Flank where he can be more dangerous, have greater impact (the ball may not make it deep as regularly) and he can be moving towards the goals when crumbing the Big forwards. He also provides a better marking option than JKH.

Dawes gets as many goals crumbing and high pressure acts than from taking a mark, which is a perfect fit for CHF; being a long straight shot also better fits this position

Fitzpatrick’s speed is going to cause headaches to any opposition “Gorilla Keepers” assigned as fullback and therefore he needs to be told to just continually lead, lead, lead. He also chases better than many of our other tall options

Hogan needs to be eased in as the third tall which should make a difficult match up and allow him to break packs, instead of being monstered by the oppositions 200game KPB.

JKH has the footy nous and ability to turn on a coin, in an instant; allowing him the time and space to work at the feet of the talls’ around the goal square

Don’t know about the other HFF, Watts would be ideal with his delivery and marking ability; I just fear that other teams will use his lack of defensive pressure as an “out” of defence. Could easily envisage Salem grabbing this spot, had hoped Trengove would.

Pederson would provide coverage for all the talls, Grimes could cover backs and potentially midfield, while Mitchie provides Viney, Jones and Tyson more assistance. Salem is the dash of spark (and forward coverage). Note Garland and Dunn could both play forward as required whilst Watts and Howe could both play back.

With M Jones, Jamar, Bail, Cross, Georgiou there is a little bit of depth, particularly if Toumpas develops (would hope he becomes the a forward option)

Cannot expect first year players to have a significant impact, but can see stretch’s outside game as something that would help team dynamics (allow Vince, Howe, Garlett to be moved around).

If not delisted would love to see a fit Tapscott develop into the HFF with his aggression, strong marking ability and 50+ metre bombs; but maybe that’s a little unrealistic – still every year there will be a player jump up from the lower ranks and surprise us all. Think Jetta last year.

The sides a bit too tall for my liking would take out Fitzy along with one of Jamar/Gawn/Pederson depending on what we want to do with our ruck options

Edited by Neitz the Great

Agreed about the too tall diagnosis. Also Cross if fit will play, no doubt IMO and Tapscott is surely gone.

I see non have placed Evans or McKenzie anywhere near the staring 22 list ...... surely they are delist options

My mail says Evans is gone but haven't heard anything on McKenzie and I think given he's a good culture guy around the club and has actually played AFL (even in a very limited taggers role) I expect they wouldn't move him on in contract. If he cuts out the ridiculous turnovers he'd be back to having a future at AFL level, if he doesn't he at least has a role 'captaining' Casey. I'm really hoping our VFL set up under a new coach is a lot more successful and enjoyable this year and has guys getting more positive reviews as they fight for a spot.

FB: Dunn Frost Jetta

HB: Grimes McDonald Garland

C: Vince Jones Lumumba

HF: Kent Dawes Salem

FF: Garlett Hogan Howe

Foll: Jamar Tyson Cross

Int: Viney, Watts, Pedersen, JKH

Casey:
FB: Georgiou

HB: Hunt ***** Terlich

C: M. Jones Riley Toumpas

HF: Bail Fitzpatrick Barry

FF: Gawn

Foll: Spencer Michie McKenzie

Int: King Harmes Stretch

Just looking at how things line up in terms of depth and for Casey. We can cover the tall defenders from the senior side (can easily take a tall out and have plenty of height) or using Pedersen back as well as Georgiou. Very little depth in the small defenders if Howe is forward though. Options of midfield replacements in terms of talent coming through isn't great but the draft (particularly pick 2) should add to that depth. Some hard working types who may have a little improvement as well as a sprinkling of younger guys who could step it up (Toumpas, Michie, Barry). I very much expect at least one if not both of picks 40 and 53 will be spent on speed and skill types.

Backs – Jetta to lock down the small forward (and capable of rebound)

Frost to play Gorilla Keeper

McDonald to lock down the other tall (has the endurance to run with CHF)

Garland to take the remaining tall/small (has shown he can do this over the years)

Dunn and Lamumba are our attacking options from the back flank – Dunn by foot (long bullet passes can get the ball quickly into the forward line) Lamumba by run and carry.

Midfield – Jones two way running is a necessity for the centre, he has also shown he can lock down on an opponent whilst getting possessions. A true captains position

On the wings Vince’s disposal will set up forwards while Howe will be impossible to match up, his disposal is also not to shabby, while he could float forward/back to create/fix headaches

Viney and Tyson are there to win the ball, their disposal is more than acceptable (remember they are disposing it under pressure, which like Jone,s will improve significantly with experience and greater team support)

Gawn is quickly overtaking Jamar and provides a better option up front and around the ground

Forwards - Garltett needs to play on the Forward Flank where he can be more dangerous, have greater impact (the ball may not make it deep as regularly) and he can be moving towards the goals when crumbing the Big forwards. He also provides a better marking option than JKH.

Dawes gets as many goals crumbing and high pressure acts than from taking a mark, which is a perfect fit for CHF; being a long straight shot also better fits this position

Fitzpatrick’s speed is going to cause headaches to any opposition “Gorilla Keepers” assigned as fullback and therefore he needs to be told to just continually lead, lead, lead. He also chases better than many of our other tall options

Hogan needs to be eased in as the third tall which should make a difficult match up and allow him to break packs, instead of being monstered by the oppositions 200game KPB.

JKH has the footy nous and ability to turn on a coin, in an instant; allowing him the time and space to work at the feet of the talls’ around the goal square

Don’t know about the other HFF, Watts would be ideal with his delivery and marking ability; I just fear that other teams will use his lack of defensive pressure as an “out” of defence. Could easily envisage Salem grabbing this spot, had hoped Trengove would.

Pederson would provide coverage for all the talls, Grimes could cover backs and potentially midfield, while Mitchie provides Viney, Jones and Tyson more assistance. Salem is the dash of spark (and forward coverage). Note Garland and Dunn could both play forward as required whilst Watts and Howe could both play back.

With M Jones, Jamar, Bail, Cross, Georgiou there is a little bit of depth, particularly if Toumpas develops (would hope he becomes the a forward option)

Cannot expect first year players to have a significant impact, but can see stretch’s outside game as something that would help team dynamics (allow Vince, Howe, Garlett to be moved around).

If not delisted would love to see a fit Tapscott develop into the HFF with his aggression, strong marking ability and 50+ metre bombs; but maybe that’s a little unrealistic – still every year there will be a player jump up from the lower ranks and surprise us all. Think Jetta last year.

Cross might still be in best 22,but only by a mile.

• Like 2

Ideal best 22 by season's end.

B: Jetta Dunn Frost

HB: Garland McDonald Lumumba

C: Vince N Jones Toumpas

HF: Howe Dawes Watts

F: Garlett Hogan JKH

R: Gawn Tyson Brayshaw

Int: Viney, Michie, Salem (Kent)

E: Grimes, Cross, Pedersen, Riley, Barry

I cant see grimes in our best paticularly with our collingwood dasher alternate

Maybe Grimes needs to go midfield where he can't kick it out on the full from the centre square!

Oppo put jam tin in front of him its all over.

Grave digger and only role he can play.

B: Jetta, Dunn, Frost

HB: Grimes, T-Mac, Lumumba

C: Vince, Viney, Watts

HF: Kent, Dawes, Howe

F: Pedersen, Hogan, Garlett

R: Jamar, Jones, Tyson.

I/C: Toumpas, Garland, JKH, Salem

Emer: Cross, Gawn, Bail.

Edited by thedeeman

I cant see grimes in our best paticularly with our collingwood dasher alternate

I'm not at all a Grimes fan, but expecting Lumumba to be a composed player from half back is equally fraught I think. His kicking and decision making aren't improvements on Grimes. His run is an improvement on our midfielders.

I'm hoping Grimes somehow finds a yard of pace and burst in preseason which sees him play with more time and confidence as he did as a young player. Failing that I hope we have some amazing successes in the draft or rejuvenate a few players (Watts, Toumpas etc) and then Vince can go to half back....or Watts or Toumpas or we find a forward and Howe stays back etc.

Interested in our ruck situation. I'd like Gawn to play a full year but I also think Jamar still has some decent footy left. Giving Gawn's not a great relief ruckman/forward that makes it difficult though. If Frost fails early then we'll probably have Pedersen as backup in defence. As for our midfield, Cross is a must, and I agree Grimes should start the year out of the team (unless he's on fire in the preseason) and work for a spot

• Like 1

Have analysed those who played in our 9 most competitive games (scoreline wise) in 2014 (4 wins + Port in Adel, WB home & away, St.K, GCS)

Here is my team based on this analysis (number in brackets is the # of wins/narrow losses they played in 2014, out of 9)

B: Garland (5), Dunn (9), Jetta (6)

HB: Grimes (9), T-Mac (9), Lumumba* (new)

C: Vince (9), N Jones (9), Watts (9)

HF: JKH (7), Dawes (8), Howe (9)

F: Pedersen (9), Hogan (new), Garlett (new)

R: Jamar (6), Tyson (9), Cross (7).

I/C: Viney (8), Bail (9), ND 2/3 Brayshaw? (new)

Sub: Salem (5)

Emer: M Jones (8), Terlich (7), Kent (4)

Notes

Frawley played in 8 - replaced in 2015 team by Hogan

M Jones also played in 8 - replaced by Lamumba

Kent my favourite forward in 2014 played in 4 - replaced by J Garlett (have to give the new recruit a shot)

I've included one of our first picks in ND 2014 (likely to be Brayshaw) as an interchange as there's usually always a standout new recruit that gets a debut early doors.

Competition for spots should and will be fierce I think especially:

1) 3rd tall forward/2nd ruck - Pedersen, Fitzpatrick, might need another contender to increase competition for this spot now that Clark's gone (late mature pick? or hope the rookie King comes on?)

2) 1st ruck - Jamar, Gawn, Spencer

3) Tall mobile defender - Garland, Frost, Georgiou

4) Small forward - Garlett, Kent, JKH,

5) Midfield rotation (the biggest battle) - M Jones, Salem, Toumpas, ND2, ND3?, Barry, Michie, Riley, McKenzie, Bail, Kent(or is he a permanent forward?), Evans, ND40?, Stretch, Hunt, Harmes

6) Small defender - Grimes, Jetta, Terlich

Pains me to say it, but if we're to progress this year, I think we need someone to be taking Jack Grimes's place in the starting 18 as a small(ish) rebounding defender towards the end of the year (maybe Salem).

Gonna be a huge pre-season for all the boys. Can't wait for 2015. Go Dees!

Edited by leucopogon

Roos not playing kids is a myth.Kennedy-Harris played round 1.Hogan would of played if fit.Salem played in round 6 after having very little preseason and only playing a couple of games in the VFL.Tyson is only 21.Unlike Sydney we have to play kids because our senior experience is just not that good.So my team would be.B: JETTA, FROST, DUNNHB: GRIMES, MCDONALD, LUMUMBAC: BRAYSHAW, N.JONES, CROSSHF: VINEY, HOGAN, HOWEF: MCCARTIN, DAWES, GARLETTFOLL: JAMAR, VINCE, TYSONIC: WATTS, GAWN, GARLANDSUB: KENT

I like it. By far the best team in here. The rest showed little improvement from last year IMHO.

this team could go places. A bench of garland, watts Gawn looks really interesting. watts/garland to midfield anyone?

Note from my 9 most competitive games analysis from this year that on only one occasion did we field Jamar and Gawn in the same team. I think we work a lot better with just one ruckman and Pedersen as the 2nd ruck/swingman. For hard evidence of how good this works, watch the win against Adelaide, and while you're enjoying that, take note of how good JKH might be with a couple more preseasons under his belt. Rohan Bail definitely best 22 at the moment.

Everyone seems to be variations on a theme - H and Garlett definite ins, Frost likely (Roos' history is that you don't recruit a player from another club without playing them), and a combination of draftees from the last several years and potentially this year making up flank or bench positions.

Personally I'm hoping that Brayshaw can come in and play a role as a midfield rotation pretty much instantaneously - same goes for Petracca if he slides to us.

At this stage, as they're undrafted, a bit hard to include them! We are super light on for midfield rotations. Viney can play forward and through the midfield as the 5/6 pushing up into the middle, with H playing the 7 defensively from the wing. Garlett, Salem, Kent and I think Michie will all need to rotate through.

I'm also of the opinion that Howe will probably remain a defender - he's just about our best kick coming out of the back 50.

It's super hard to squeeze him in there alongside trio of talls, and the addition of Lumumba, but I suspect might be used as a wingman pushing back as a defensive 7, Grimes and Garland. Col is an interesting one coming into the final year of his contract after which I believe he's an UFA. Surely we can't lose another defender at the end of 2015, can we??

Given that Dawes is out round 1, he or Howe might play forward initially, while Pedersen is the obvious 'in' there to fulfil a role.

There's certainly going to be quite a bit of pressure on Hogan to step up immediately as a leading forward. I know we say it every year, but we desperately need Watts to play to his potential on a consistent basis.

B: Jetta - Dunn - Frost

HB: Grimes - McDonald - Howe

C: Lumumba - N Jones - Cross

HF: Watts - Hogan - Viney

F: Gawn - Dawes - Garlett

Foll: Jamar - Tyson - Vince

I/c: Salem - Michie - Garland

Sub: Kent

Emerg: Pedersen - Kennedy-Harris - Riley

The sides a bit too tall for my liking would take out Fitzy along with one of Jamar/Gawn/Pederson depending on what we want to do with our ruck options

Yes it's to tall for my liking as well, but Roo's has shown he likes 3 talls in the forwards and realistically if it was only 2, then that would be expecting too much from Hogan. Ideally Watts would be replaced by a non tall, but I can't really find someone that fits the role of a forward flanker without weakening other positions - perhaps Kent if he can increase his midfield output (actually I'm warming to the idea a lot now - adds speed to the forwards, which will compliment Garlett and JKH). At the start of the year Cross would be in our starting 22, so he would replace Pederson and provide the extra support to our ‘hard ball get’ midfield players or play tagger; Pederson was considered for bench as coverage, but I agree there is enough talls on the field to provide this should we loose a Key Position player through the versatility of players likes of Dunn, Garland and Dawes (he could pinch hit in the ruck if needed).

Editing the original post would leave it something like this

Half Forward: Kent Dawes Garlett

Int: Mitchie Cross Grimes

Emerg: Watts Bail Harmes

Forwards – Kent would now provide the run and carry, and defensive pressure that was raised as reservations on Watts, while in the last game his disposal (awareness) going forward indicated this may develop into a weapon.

Interesting is being kind

We would get run off our feet if that was our bench

Watts can and has been used in the midfield.

Gawn as our second ruck, he's generally poor up forward which is why there is merit in drafting Wright who can play both roles. I'd have Gawn ahead of Pederson (dropped 3 out of the last 4

weeks)and Fitzpatrick (played only 4 games).

Garland is the interesting one. He had a really poor last half of the year and I really don't see a position for him now that we have brought in Frost, lucky for Garland that we have nothing in the midfield when it comes to depth to replace him. Bail and Michie are honest so they could replace him, Salem and Kennedy-Harris couldn't get a kick at the end of the year and Toumpas,

McKenzie and M.Jones simply aren't up to it.

I suggest looking at our first half of 2014 when we were mostly competitive and fresh as an indicator of the likely bulk of what the team will look like in 2015. The second half when a lot of the young ones tired and the team lost confidence was an abomination.

These guys were there mainstays of our early competitive form (played in all 4 wins and the 5 closest losses):

Bail, Dunn, Grimes, Howe, Watts, N Jones, Pedersen, Tyson, Vince

these guys played in 8 of the 9:

Dawes, M. Jones, McDonald, Viney, Frawley

and these guys in 7: Cross, JKH, Terlich

Fill in the blanks around these guys I think.

And for those calling for Jamar and Gawn in the same side, they only featured together in one of 9 most competitive games last season. Pedersen was and still remains the key utility/2nd ruck. Will get better next season I reckon.

Edited by leucopogon

I reckon the team will looks something like this:

B: Jetta Frost Garland

HB: Dunn McDonald Grimes

C: Lumumba Cross Vince

HF: Garlett Dawes Kent

F: Howe Hogan JKH

Foll: Jamar N Jones Tyson

I/C: Viney Watts Bail Toumpas

Emergency: M Jones Michie Riley

This is dependent on a few factors though, being:

1. Frost comes straight in. If not I'd see Howe back in defence and Pederson up forward.

2. Toumpas improves and shows good form. If not then one of the listed emergencies replace him.

3. I am expecting Pederson to play forward, probably instead of Howe (if in defence) or JKH, but I just love watching JKH!

4. Garlett returning to somewhat pre-Malthouse form. If he doesn't then replaced by Bail or Viney at HF.

5. Not expecting to see much of this years draftees apart from a few strings of games when earnt via Casey and the odd sub cameo.

6. They've been good, honest servicemen but I'm hoping improvement of a couple youngsters and the traded in recruits will see Terlich, M Jones and McKenzie be phased out of the senior side (not because I don't like them, just hope more talent emerges).

7. Garland returning to 2013 form if he gets in a full preseason.

8. Expecting Jamar, Gawn and Spencer to rotate through the seniors depending on form and injuries.

9. If he wasn't go-captain I would probably have replaced Grimes with Lumumba in HB but can't see him slipping out of the team at this stage.

A few things I'm looking forward to are Hunt getting a good pre-season and injury free to see what he can do with his speed (not necessarily in senior side). Also Barry and Stretch for that matter. Riley might surprise if he gets a good run. But most of all I hope Hogan is over his back issue and gets a full preseason and 20+ games!

Bring on 2015!

• Like 1

typical post season demonland masturbation session - re-packaging the same spuds everyone was whinging about 10 weeks ago and declaring them as the reason we will win 10 games the following year.

Poor trade period and the list is as shite as it was 12 months ago. actually the list is worse on paper but in practice it hasn't improved at all in relation to the other clubs.

And stop harping on about the 'close losses'. Those close losses could've and in some cases should've been 10 goal floggings.

The list is absolute crap and yet again the same names are mentioned as being big improvers.

When will everyone realize that Grimes Watts, etc are spuds and the draft number they were taken is as relevant as the number on the back of their jumpers.

2015 - 4 wins max.

Hogan will spend the year double teamed and running around trying to mark shite kicks from an unbalanced uncomposed midfield